Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

FuzzySkinner posted:

You know...I can't blame him for this attitude. Crowder is not a smart guy and not someone worth his time. I would understand if this was indeed someone who was conservative along the vain of Krauthammer or someone. But Crowder is a trolling dickbag that really adds nothing to a conversation.

Yeah, Crowder's a disingenuous shithead who deserved all of that, but it doesn't really excuse engaging in the same behavior. In a similar vein, are there any prominent internet atheists who aren't competing for the 2016 Edgiest of Lords award?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rhjamiz posted:

Holy poo poo these are amazing.

It's off topic, but stuff like this? It's a perfect example of why it's easy to reject complaints lodged against the tumblr crowd.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, Crowder's a disingenuous shithead who deserved all of that, but it doesn't really excuse engaging in the same behavior. In a similar vein, are there any prominent internet atheists who aren't competing for the 2016 Edgiest of Lords award?

Yeah I generally like Kyle when he discusses how republicans are poo poo heads, but I'm not thrilled with what he said about Christianity in those tweets.

I don't know what is with Internet atheists and their :smug: -ness when it comes to that overall topic. I mean if someone believes that their is a God, follows the bible, and is not actively finding a way to make your life miserable, then why should you care?

I've met a lot of people who've gone through some really tough times in life and have relied on faith to help them get through it. Are you really going to scream at a cancer patient who has turned to Jesus, Allah or whatever to help comfort them while they feel so drat alone in this world?

By all means attack evangelicals and fundamentalists. i'm on your side, but don't act exactly like them when you're discussing your beliefs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phone posted:

It's off topic, but stuff like this? It's a perfect example of why it's easy to reject complaints lodged against the tumblr crowd.

That and also for anyone's complaints about what anyone on tumblr says you're not going to just have it shoved in your face. You have to look for it. It's kind of like twitter in that respect. But compared to Matt Walsh or Milo or Crowder, not many people on tumblr are probably also running websites on how women need to remember their place. Or running blogs in general.

And yeah, I didn't want to push that too much since it was only all of two posts about Overwatch that were in here in the first place. I just remembered those and thought they'd brighten someone's day because I look at it now and I still giggle at McCree Fivenoons.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't know what is with Internet atheists and their :smug: -ness when it comes to that overall topic.
Trap sprung.

Christianity gets a lot of poo poo from Internet Atheists simply because Christianity is the most likely religion to be encountered by the group. There are a lot of legit Islamophobes in the Internet Athiest group as well, mainly because Christianity mostly just tells us we're going to hell, whereas Islam is loving scary because their fundies still take all the kill all those who oppose bits literally. There are Muslim theocracies that we can not enter because atheists are criminals there, with a sentence of death.

The smugness is because ... well, have you ever encountered a Young Earth Creationist? :smug:

quote:

I mean if someone believes that their is a God, follows the bible, and is not actively finding a way to make your life miserable, then why should you care?

Because there are too many that are indeed actively trying to make our collective lives "miserable" or maybe you haven't seen the right wing Christian types impose their """"morality""" on the entire country by political force.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

McGlockenshire posted:

Because there are too many that are indeed actively trying to make our collective lives "miserable" or maybe you haven't seen the right wing Christian types impose their """"morality""" on the entire country by political force.

I think he's just talking about a person-by-person basis there and not like, on the internet.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

McGlockenshire posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that the problem with Christians being smug, aggressive douchebags about your chosen life philosophy is that they don't believe the right things? Newsflash: being an rear end in a top hat isn't a bad thing because some religious people are assholes; it's the "being an rear end in a top hat" part that's objectionable.

The fact that I can point to a person being lovely doesn't excuse me being lovely.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

RareAcumen posted:

I think he's just talking about a person-by-person basis there and not like, on the internet.

Oh. No, people that do that poo poo IRL are jerks.

Keeshhound posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that the problem with Christians being smug, aggressive douchebags about your chosen life philosophy is that they don't believe the right things? Newsflash: being an rear end in a top hat isn't a bad thing because some religious people are assholes; it's the "being an rear end in a top hat" part that's objectionable.

The fact that I can point to a person being lovely doesn't excuse me being lovely.

No, you're right, assholes will always be assholes, and humanity would still have plenty of excuse to be horrible to each other without religion because that's how horrible humanity is to each other by default. Protecting the in-group and fearing the strangers in the out-group is standard operating procedure for our brains.

But when a religious person tells me that I should be killed, then yes, I am kind of going to blame their "chosen life philosophy" for not believing in "the right things."

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

The Ape of Naples posted:

Huh. I never clicked on this every time I've seen it. Not for any homophobic reason. I just didn't care.
But really this is one of the more perfect songs, ever.

Electric Six is so good that Gay Bar is one of their weaker songs - that's saying something.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The more I think about it, the more I think his argument for not debating crowder kinda sucks (well the global warming one is legit, and the fact that he's a dickbag troll is also a good reason to tell him to gently caress off).

I think if one believes in Christianity, Islam, Judaism, is a theist or what have you? That shouldn't automatically disqualify someone from holding a discussion over issues. Now if the person believes in some shithead arguments in regards to say, Science? Then by all means, they should gently caress off. But if it's something like economic policy or something of that nature? Then no, that person shouldn't be disqualified because they have faith.

That in itself is a very bigoted attitude to have and is indeed dangerous.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I saw a guy do "Gay Bar" on karaoke on Halloween dressed in an Abe Lincoln costume that he was able to strip off. All he had on at the end was his fake beard and top hat, shoes, and an American flag speedo. No one at my table could breath because we were laughing so much.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna give you a few more to try and cheer people up.

Yooooooooo :wow: :vince:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Star Man posted:

I saw a guy do "Gay Bar" on karaoke on Halloween dressed in an Abe Lincoln costume that he was able to strip off. All he had on at the end was his fake beard and top hat, shoes, and an American flag speedo. No one at my table could breath because we were laughing so much.

Freedom comes in small packages.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Ape of Naples posted:

Huh. I never clicked on this every time I've seen it. Not for any homophobic reason. I just didn't care.
But really this is one of the more perfect songs, ever.

Does that mean you've never seen this?? Holy poo poo: https://youtu.be/1sJqROHxjDA

Armani posted:

Electric Six is so good that Gay Bar is one of their weaker songs - that's saying something.

Welcome to the Good Opinion Zone, friend.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah I generally like Kyle when he discusses how republicans are poo poo heads, but I'm not thrilled with what he said about Christianity in those tweets.

I don't know what is with Internet atheists and their :smug: -ness when it comes to that overall topic. I mean if someone believes that their is a God, follows the bible, and is not actively finding a way to make your life miserable, then why should you care?

I've met a lot of people who've gone through some really tough times in life and have relied on faith to help them get through it. Are you really going to scream at a cancer patient who has turned to Jesus, Allah or whatever to help comfort them while they feel so drat alone in this world?

By all means attack evangelicals and fundamentalists. i'm on your side, but don't act exactly like them when you're discussing your beliefs.

I think a lot of it comes from growing up in Fundamentalist communities or homes, and not realizing that there is a lot more nuance and diversity in Christianity than what they were subjected to. And also not realizing how close their own attitudes are to the ones they deride.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna give you a few more to try and cheer people up.

Johnny Five-Aces rides again!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I mean if someone believes that their is a God, follows the bible, and is not actively finding a way to make your life miserable, then why should you care?

He's not talking to or about those people. He's talking directly to and about Crowder. And Crowder, as a self-appointed spokesperson for those subjects deserves every bit of that derision.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: Here's Scott in Greeley, Colorado. Great to have you on the program. Hi.

CALLER: Praise the Lord Rush Limbaugh's on. I've been with you from the beginning, Rush.

RUSH: Yes. Thank you. Thank you so much.

CALLER: What a great day. As a lifelong conservative and Trump supporter, I finally have something in common with most of the UK voters.

RUSH: It is wonderful to be in solidarity with another big group of people, isn't it?

CALLER: Well, you know, conservatives like me for years and years have been too stupid to understand the experts, and we keep voting the wrong way. I just feel great to have more people in my camp as stupid as I am.

RUSH: Yeah, you feel like you're on the winning side here. I understand that. (laughing)

CALLER: (laughing) So hopefully I have enough sense to keep on being stupid.

RUSH: Whatever works, man.

CALLER: Well, thanks again, Rush.

RUSH: Is that it?

CALLER: I just wanted to point out how not listening to the experts might change the country.

RUSH: I see. So you wanted to revel in your stupidity and marvel at how it's triumphing?

CALLER: Yeah. I didn't let education interfere with my learning.

RUSH: There you go. All right. Well, I appreciate the call. Thanks much, Scott.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/06/24/the_old_rules_don_t_apply_to_trump

quote:

RUSH: So I really think it's important here to be correct as we can in understanding why this happened. And I would love to tell you that I think this is a bunch of people becoming conservatives overnight and rejecting liberalism. Some of that clearly is involved here, but I think a lot of it is simply -- I don't want to say populism, but there's a lot of nationhood going on, a lot of people who simply want their country to be great. And isn't it amazing how that is now under attack?

People that desire a strong nation where they live, somehow that's a negative, somehow we must attack that. We call it populism. We call it nationalism. It's horrible. Nationalism, how do you explain the British empire? How do you explain the United States becoming the world's lone superpower? We didn't do it by joining some group. We didn't do it by having a leech run the show. That's not at all how we attain greatness, and this is what people are finally realizing. There's nothing great in the EU. France wants out, a number of other nations want out.
The European Union doesn't have any concept of nationhood. And, by the way, having a concept of nationhood, now that's under assault. You know, being an American, wanting to be an American, wanting your country to do well, wanting your country to win, somehow that's not good. That's not modern thinking. That's not mature thinking. We can't think that way anymore this year. We can't think of ourselves as a nation competing against other nations. We are globalists now. We are all intertwined. We are all intermingled. And the benefit for one benefits the all and all this rotgut.

That's not how we became a superpower. It's not how the British empire came to be. And, by the way, the British empire was, aside from people and their attitudes of colonialism, the British empire was good for everybody that benefited from it. And the same thing with the United States as a superpower, became a solution to the world's problems. Now, cutting us down to size and making us no different than any other nation in the world, which is what Obama and his cronies want to do, is what is harming and brewing detrimental.

And they do it with the belief that a powerful United States, a super powerful United States was a problem in the world. And it was because they didn't control it. It's really insidious, this attack on people. They call it nationalism. They link it to populism, and it's supposed to be automatically bad, it's supposed to be representative of small thinking, selfish thinking, exclusionary thinking. And it's nothing of the sort. It's just pride in where you live.

I've never understood this. Well, I understand it intellectually, but I don't understand it economically or any common sense way. There's nothing wrong with being American. There's nothing wrong with wanting America to be great. But look at the way Trump's campaign is even impugned and maligned, "Make America great." They just laugh. They mock it. Who could possibly think in those old, antiquated terms. Well, a hell of a lot of Americans do, and they're gonna find out in November how many.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/06/24/brexit_a_revolt_against_the_cronyism_of_the_elites_and_a_cry_for_nationhood

quote:

RUSH: Let me add one more thing to the discussion of the impact of this vote on Muslims in the United Kingdom. It is true that Great Britain and the United Kingdom did not need any help from the European Union to increase immigration from all over the world and the vast majority of it came from Islamic areas. When it first started it was the same exact thing you hear in this country from the pro-immigration activists.

"It's gonna make our country better. It's gonna expand diversity. It's gonna show that we are all one peoples and that we're willing to open our country to the nations and the world's less fortunate so that everybody can have an opportunity," blah, blah, blah, all of the ringing, wonderful reasons to do it. They did it. They did it long before this current wave began. Here's what happened. By "current wave," I mean that instigated by the European Union with a combination of immigration and these refugees that are flooding in.

And it happened long before Angela Merkel came along and started bragging about bringing 800,000 a year in, and she needs it because they don't have a replacement birthrate there. The German birthrate is below replacement levels, meaning the population is shrinking, meaning fewer and fewer people of age to join the labor force. So she needs to import them, and she's doing it via immigration. And that number 800,000, just the whole flood here since ISIS got into gear in the Middle East. But the UK and their own immigration preceded.

What happened that they didn't count on or that the British people were lied about is that there wasn't any assimilation. And the UK population became, for lack of a better term, Balkanized. And then all of a sudden Sharia mosques started popping up all over the place. And before you knew it, the most popular or frequent male baby name was Mohammed.

Now, I will probably take some arrows for saying this, but I first went to the UK, to London, I don't remember the exact year. It was for a cigar dinner. It was '92 or '93. And my first trip I was amazed. I lived in New York at the time. I was amazed at how pristine and clean it was. The word that came to mind no matter where I went and no matter who I interacted with was "civilized." That was my impression. I didn't go often, but I've been enough times to be able to note the changes in the same areas that I used to visit and the same regions where the hotels that I always have stayed were.

I couldn't help but notice the change. I wasn't fully aware of the immigration policies at the time. This is, again, before this became the gigantic issue that it is. In fact, the gigantic issue of the day, when I was making my first trips over to the UK, was health care in this country, Clinton care or Hillarycare, that was what was dominating things. Immigration was not a back burner issue, but it certainly wasn't forefront like it is now. But it just began to look different. I couldn't pinpoint it, 'cause I wasn't looking for the differences.

But what happened was that this massive influx of immigration, the Muslim or Islamic aspect of it, they set up their own neighborhoods. The same thing in France. In France it's not been pretty. In France it's even worse. But the mosques started going up and then the practice of Sharia in certain elements. The British people, I think they were surprised. When your leaders lie to you, I mean, our leaders today cannot be honest about Islam with us. They will not even use the term "Islamic terrorism," "radical Islam."

The same thing happened in the UK, and it just kept happening slowly. It was all portrayed as wonderful and nice and look what great people we Brits are. Look how lacking in prejudice we are. Look how open we are. Look how tolerant we are. It was just such a wonderful, beautiful thing. And then finally it began to dawn on everybody that these people were not coming to become Brits, which has been dawning on people in this country for a while now.

This is why I was talking earlier, all of this is cumulative; it didn't happen overnight. And when it first began happening there were all these wonderful intentions associated with it, and everybody was applauding everybody else about how wonderful they were for opening their country up to the less fortunate or the oppressed or whatever it might have been, when in fact that's not what was happening. It was more like a -- well, like I characterize what's happening here. I don't think immigration is what's happening in our country. I think an invasion is what is happening, particularly southern border.

You had these minors that are coming from Central America without their parents, two years in a row now by the tens of thousands, and there's no stopping it. That, in addition to all the other illegal immigration. It's an invasion. It isn't immigration.
These are illegal, by definition. Our immigration law is not responsible for this. There is no immigration policy in the US that is permitting what's happening. What's happening here is happening outside the law, that our leaders do not wish to enforce or acknowledge. And the same thing happened in the UK.

But I think, because it's the central issue of what happened in the Brexit vote, then what happened was, if you want to term, "the icing on the cake," the "the dotting of the I's and crossing of the T's," was this most recent invasion, UK-wide, this never ending line, literally lining up at the borders, coming through Greece, coming through Italy, aiming for Scandinavian countries, aiming for Sweden, it became clear what was going on.

Then Angela Merkel, blind as a bat to what was going on, applauded it, opened the borders, welcomed as many as wanted to come, and that as much as anything, I think, is what awakened people. Even though the Brexit movement precedes this most recent influx, the reasons for the vote being as decisive as it were, I think, tied to this most recent massive influx.

But all of this is to explain -- you know, the caller said what's the effect gonna be on the Muslim population. The UK had been permitting this immigration long before this most recent bout of it. It was their own policy that did it, just like us. Even though it's not policy. It's extralegal behavior, the ignoring of the law that's permitting it here. The UK was the exact opposite. That was all legal. At least most of it was.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

Have you seen what the mayor of London said? I guess it... Drudge is calling London, "Londonistan" now. The mayor of London is Sadiq Khan. He's the newly elected mayor of London. He's Muslim. "Following the UK's decision to [exit the European Union], Khan [mayor of Londonistan] took to Facebook on Friday to express his support for the many London residents who hail from other parts of Europe." He wanted to make sure that they knew that they would be totally supported by the city of London, that if there are residents of London from other parts of Europe, don't sweat it.

You're gonna be looked out for, taken care of.
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/06/24/the_islamification_of_britain

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Right Wing Media: So you wanted to revel in your stupidity and marvel at how it's triumphing?

I love that the Gasbag and his sycophants haven't quite twigged to the fact the the economy has imploded overnight or that the supporters of Brexit are desperately backpedaling now that actual consequences have happened and linking it to their own idiotic causes. Keep on digging that hole for yourselves.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 25, 2016

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
If nothing else, Brexit has been good at showing how little some people on the far right actually give a poo poo about "the economy".

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Right Wing Media: So you wanted to revel in your stupidity and marvel at how it's triumphing?

I also think "Right Wing Media: Conservatives like me for years and years have been too stupid to understand the experts" would be a really good one too, albeit a bit long perhaps.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

a bloated gasbag posted:

How do you explain the United States becoming the world's lone superpower? We didn't do it by joining some group. We didn't do it by having a leech run the show. That's not at all how we attain greatness, and this is what people are finally realizing. There's nothing great in the EU.
Wait, does he think the US didn't join the Allies? Like it was the Axis and ... I dunno, some mishmash of other nations that totally weren't a group that the US totally didn't join?

So much wrongness in so little space.

How can you be so stupid and live?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I think a lot of it comes from growing up in Fundamentalist communities or homes, and not realizing that there is a lot more nuance and diversity in Christianity than what they were subjected to. And also not realizing how close their own attitudes are to the ones they deride.

That's always been the vibe I've gotten from Bill Maher of all people.

I used to despise him growing up as a young republican and I thought in retrospect it was because I disagreed with his politics.

Now that I'm on the left side of the aisle? No..no..that's not the case at all. He's just an rear end in a top hat that thinks he's smarter than everyone else for some reason.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

eNeMeE posted:

Wait, does he think the US didn't join the Allies? Like it was the Axis and ... I dunno, some mishmash of other nations that totally weren't a group that the US totally didn't join?

The Marshall Plan played a huge role as well. You know, the part where America gave their allies and former enemies in Europe huge amounts of money to rebuild after WWII.

Also, one of the more rational causes and ultimate successes of the Vietnam War was reassuring America's allies in the region that their backs were covered in the case of a Communist insurgency.

I don't think his brain even functions anymore. Oxycontin goes in and wind comes out.

FuzzySkinner posted:

That's always been the vibe I've gotten from Bill Maher of all people.

I used to despise him growing up as a young republican and I thought in retrospect it was because I disagreed with his politics.

Now that I'm on the left side of the aisle? No..no..that's not the case at all. He's just an rear end in a top hat that thinks he's smarter than everyone else for some reason.

I was thinking Dawkins, but the behavior pattern remains the same: they know THE TRUTH and anyone who disagrees with them is to be looked down upon.

Socrates was the wisest man in the world because he understood that he knew nothing. This agnostic wisdom is sorely lacking in American politics.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 25, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

I was thinking Dawkins, but the behavior pattern remains the same: they know THE TRUTH and anyone who disagrees with them is to be looked down upon.

Socrates was the wisest man in the world because he understood that he knew nothing. This agnostic wisdom is sorely lacking in American politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCqGH-hq2nE

I see things like this and am just kinda amazed at the :smug: ness involved in kinda looking down at one's beliefs in this clip. I realize that I (and many in this thread) are in the group he's mocking, but the point remains that he does indeed seem to look down upon the average person that is not in his little tight circle.

We mock the entire concept of Dana Loesch's book (and RIGHTFULLY SO), but there's a small, microscopic, sub atomic grain of truth (sadly) to it. It's not a political ideology thing, but more so some sort of political class that only various elites are really taken seriously in. There are right wing elitist snobs that reside in...I don't know, Texas in the same way that there's humble left leaning bernie sanders voters in New York or something. This is something that more and more people need to come to terms with rather than getting wrapped up in the politics as a team sport concept that has put a stranglehold over the country.

Maher doesn't seem to understand any sort of empathy towards anyone that wouldn't be in his stupid circle. Much like how I imagine he views people that practice religion because it provides them with some sort of comfort, fulfillment and purpose during the day.

He just frankly comes across as kind of a miserable guy. (same with Dawkins really).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Some idiot posted:

How do you explain the United States becoming the world's lone superpower? We didn't do it by joining some group. We didn't do it by having a leech run the show. That's not at all how we attain greatness, and this is what people are finally realizing. There's nothing great in the EU.

Yes, truly, there's nothing about the United States that even remotely resembles something like a Union of separate States forming a larger federation. Nothing at all, nuh-uh. :allears:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Perestroika posted:

CALLER: I just wanted to point out how not listening to the experts might change the country.

RUSH: I see. So you wanted to revel in your stupidity and marvel at how it's triumphing?

CALLER: Yeah. I didn't let education interfere with my learning.

I've bee Poe's Lawed. Did anyone hear this live? It reads like someone made it through the call screener to gently caress with Rush. That's what it is right? Please say yes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Damonic posted:

I also think "Right Wing Media: Conservatives like me for years and years have been too stupid to understand the experts" would be a really good one too, albeit a bit long perhaps.

Right Wing Media: I didn't let education interfere with my learning.

eNeMeE posted:

Well that and we're also a GROUP of States. "United States", if you will.

Perestroika posted:

Yes, truly, there's nothing about the United States that even remotely resembles something like a Union of separate States forming a larger federation. Nothing at all, nuh-uh. :allears:

This.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I've bee Poe's Lawed. Did anyone hear this live? It reads like someone made it through the call screener to gently caress with Rush. That's what it is right? Please say yes.

Yea, that's absolutely what it reads like to me. If you suck up to Rush enough and don't say anything like "I'm a liberal" he'll let you get away with a lot.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

quote:

RUSH: It is wonderful to be in solidarity with another big group of people, isn't it?
*leaves the EU; wants the South to rise again; hates black lives matter, gay pride parades, and muslims*

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

eNeMeE posted:

The very premise itself is flawed; there really aren't superpowers in the world anymore. The U.S.can exert considerable influence over global affairs through a variety of means, but the recent wars in the Middle East and Russian invasion and subsequent annexation of parts of Ukraine paint a pretty clear picture of how significantly our influence has waned.

Put bluntly, the superpower model of world affairs doesn't really work anymore, but even if it did, anyone with the barest grasp of current events can see that Britain is giving up significant political capital by leaving the EU.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I heard it live, they were chumming it up after Limbaugh spent most of the day assuring his listeners that there wasn't anything wrong with Brexit tanking the markets. I left this bit out, but since it's a new day and my blood pressure is normal here is some more poo poo:

quote:

RUSH: ... And I'm gonna tell you to look out for this, too. From this point forward, anything that goes wrong -- be it economic, be it cultural, I don't care what it is. Anything that goes wrong -- if there is a rise in the crime rate, if there is an increase in the murder rate, I don't care what it is -- it's gonna be blamed on this vote. It will be blamed on the exit from the European Union. Now, what happens now is we have a two-year process whereby or wherein Great Britain will disentangle itself from the European Union in Brussels.

There will be terms that have to be negotiated here. And, by the way, don't expect the elites to just sit by and let this happen. This two-year process here, this disentangling process, I'm sure the elites are gonna look at it as plenty of opportunities to thwart this whole thing. Many American companies that do business in the UK and use their business in the UK as the starting point or the entry point for business in the European Union at large are now gonna have to decide what they want to do.

If they're doing business with the UK simply as an entree to the European Union at large, do they stay in the UK? Do they abandon it and find some other launching pad, if you will, for business and trade or what have you, within the European Union? You're gonna have up-and-down stock markets, roiling markets. And the doom and gloom pessimists are going to be in full-flower form. They are going to be predicting the absolute worst. They are going to guilt-trip the people that voted to exit.

They're going to try to make it look like this is the worst thing that could ever happen, maybe the worst thing that has happened. Already Alan Greenspan is out there saying this is the worst calamity for the markets since 1987. He thought he would never see it again, he says. And 1987 is when the stock market lost 23% of its value in one day. And he's saying this is the absolute worst that can happen. In point of fact, the opportunity here is immense and the statement is powerful.

This is a nation of people rising up against the ruling class and the elites and -- make no mistake about it -- cronyism. By cronyism, I mean EU leaders in bed with each other and powerful forces within all the member countries to grease the skids for their own existence, to make sure they are protected and taken care of economically at the expense of everybody else. It's exclusionary. It's almost a caste system. You have the upper class -- and this is a big difference from the way it used to be. Even in this country and even in Great Britain, even in the days of aristocracy...

Well, maybe not the aristocracy. Certainly in the post-aristocracy days of Great Britain, the one thing -- and it's true about this country as well -- was the upper class or upper classes were not aloof from the other classes. They socialized together. They intermingled. They intermarried. They went, in many cases, to the same schools. But in recent decades the elites and the upper class and the rich, whatever you want to call them -- both here and around the world, but particularly in the Western European socialist democracies -- have drawn clear lines of demarcation that dare not be crossed.

The elites, the rich, the ruling class have finally made no pretense about it. They act as though they're betters; they treat everybody else as though they are lessers. There are lines of demarcation. There are no intermingling social activities. They don't go to the same schools anymore. They don't go to the same churches. The upper class and the elites are now officially snooty, looking down their noses at everybody else.

And it's reached a point now where people not in that august, small group are not going to take being ignored and impugned and laughed at and used and lied to anymore. It really isn't any more complicated than that. Now, if you want to toss in ideologies at this point and discuss, "Well, how much of this is liberalism?" you could say that much of it is, in terms of the attitudes and the arrogance and condescension.

That's clearly part and parcel of liberalism. But I don't think the people that voted to leave the European Union did so on liberal-conservative grounds. I would love for it to be the case, and that certainly may be an element of it, but there are other things that I think are a little bit more relevant than that. And, of course, it's Open Line Friday, so you're gonna be able to weigh in on this. Be interesting to see what you think about it. We've got a lot to untangle and explain here. We'll get started with all the rest of it right after this.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/06/24/brexit_a_revolt_against_the_cronyism_of_the_elites_and_a_cry_for_nationhood
:newlol: At Greenspan talking about economic calamities. And by the way those other reasons referred to in that verbal diarrhea was (of course) alluding to the rant about Islam in the UK that was in my other post.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status/743212257882996736

Bret Baier just did something I wish I could have done.

:allears:.

i know its pages back but it warms my heart to see fox news being respectful and friendly to anyone in buddhist robes at all, such a pleasant surprise

thanks a lot for sharing!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Rush posted:

RUSH: ... And I'm gonna tell you to look out for this, too. From this point forward, anything that goes wrong -- be it economic, be it cultural, I don't care what it is. Anything that goes wrong -- if there is a rise in the crime rate, if there is an increase in the murder rate, I don't care what it is -- it's gonna be blamed on this vote.

No. It'll blamed on Obama or liberals. At least by Rush, Sean, FOX...

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

kik2dagroin posted:

The elites, the rich, the ruling class have finally made no pretense about it. They act as though they're betters; they treat everybody else as though they are lessers. There are lines of demarcation.
J-job creators? Is Rush turning into a Marxist? No- no war but class war?

I mean, he's not wrong. People who voted leave are by and large people who are getting hosed by global capitalism and this is a rebellion against that. It's just weird to hear Rush say it even if I know he absolutely would never frame it in those terms (Soros is a loving communist, etc etc).

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Phone posted:

I didn't realize that "happy, sexy fun times during the solstice" only happened in gay bars.

Is Stonehenge a gay bar?

stonehenge, stonewall . . .
hmm are they brothers?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hmm are they brothers?

Both are rock hard :coal:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hmm are they brothers?

Sometimes your Bacchanalia orgy just ends up having some unintentional sword fights.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
George Will's leaving the Republican Party over Trump. Also kinda comes off like he's endorsing Hillary too.

quote:

WASHINGTON – Conservative columnist George Will has left the Republican Party, and he is urging others to make sure the GOP’s presumptive nominee, Donald Trump, doesn’t win.

“Make sure he loses,’’ Will told PJ Media, an online news company, in an interview Friday. “Grit their teeth for four years and win the White House.”

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

hmm are they brothers?

Crabtree posted:

Sometimes your Bacchanalia orgy just ends up having some unintentional sword fights.

Homoseaxual orgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tell me how accurate that one is because I feel like the answer is 'Very.'