Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Does All Might have a hero office?

I don't remember.

The first time you see Shiragaki in the bar he's reading a newspaper that says All might shut down his hero office to work at UA for a while. At least in the anime. I don't remember if you can actually read the paper in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nahxela posted:

I think the omake chapters had shown the kids helping All Might relocate offices?
I don't know if those were canon pieces, though.

Yep, he had a dinky little office that he also lived in and the kids helped him move it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What did All Might's agency even do? Take care of All Might's PR? Store all his fan mail?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

What did All Might's agency even do? Take care of All Might's PR? Store all his fan mail?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly it. There's probably also some legal reason, I'd imagine. All the active professionals we've met so far are part of an agency--wouldn't be surprised if they encourage that and discourage "lone heroes". It's easier to send the bill for all the damage if there's an office number, after all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly it. There's probably also some legal reason, I'd imagine. All the active professionals we've met so far are part of an agency--wouldn't be surprised if they encourage that and discourage "lone heroes". It's easier to send the bill for all the damage if there's an office number, after all.

I would imagine that being tied to some sort of agency is a requirement for heroes simply for liability reasons, yeah. It's really hard to regulate a bunch of masked, costumed vigilantes without them having a registered point of contact. People like Ingenium and Endeavor leverage these mandatory agencies to recruit sidekicks and probably do endorsements and sponsorships and stuff; All Might lived out of his agency and never took any sidekicks or anything like that so he probably just used it as a glorified PO box.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
People admiring Stain isn't that weird. Aside from stuff like people thinking dudes like Kira and the Punisher have the right idea, people have admired horrific serial killers in real life because of their charisma or weird philosophies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From what has been seen most people even if they thought Stain was cool don't agree with him. We have only seen 4 followers of Stain. Dabi seems to believe in Stain's ideals. but we don't know too much about him so why he admires Stain is unknown. Spinner spouts off Stain's ideals, but appears to simply be a fan boy who thought Stain was cool. Mustard does spout a bit of Stain related stuff, but he mostly seems to be bitter about his lot in life, rather then believing in Stain's ideals. Toga does not give a poo poo about Stain's ideals, and became one of his fans purely because of his appearance in the video and her insane fetish.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stain's message was essentially "gently caress the system, man. oh but that one guy everyone likes is cool". then he was caught on video saying that stuff while being a total badass. dude was a complete nutjob, but in a way that would appeal to dumb kids.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Stain is the embodiment of the gritty 80's-90's anti-hero.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

Stain is the embodiment of the gritty 80's-90's anti-hero.

Minus that he is not a hero. Given his gimmick is murdering and crippling heroes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, like, Stain is a no-joke murderer. He was murdering heroes for not being heroic enough. He tried to kill Shigaraki when they first met and seemed to be planning to finish the job after he was done in Hosu. There's nothing stopping him from murdering villains beyond him being in super-ultra-high-security jail where he seems to be not even allowed to move.
Yeah, Stain might idolize the concept of the perfect, ideal hero and judge all heroes on that standard, but he does not consider himself a hero or judge himself by his own standards

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Stain reminds me a lot of Slash from TMNT mixed with a bit of Spawn.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Minus that he is not a hero. Given his gimmick is murdering and crippling heroes.

Same as a fair few 80's-90's anti-heroes. The term has a pretty wide definition.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LostRook posted:

Same as a fair few 80's-90's anti-heroes. The term has a pretty wide definition.

I think those guys were called villains. Can you name one that's gimmick was murdering Heroes, rather then murdering criminals.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think those guys were called villains. Can you name one that's gimmick was murdering Heroes, rather then murdering criminals.

Soley? Not off the top of my head, but killing indiscriminately sure, Lobo comes to mind. Stain's gimmick after all wasn't simply murdering heroes, so it doesn't fit to narrow the thesis to that degree.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most people are unaware of the Marvel hero Gunisher, an anti-hero who went around killing vigilantes like the Punisher because they were giving heroes a bad name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LostRook posted:

Soley? Not off the top of my head, but killing indiscriminately sure, Lobo comes to mind. Stain's gimmick after all wasn't simply murdering heroes, so it doesn't fit to narrow the thesis to that degree.

Uh Stain's Deal was murdering and crippling Heroes. It's why he was called the Hero Killer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

LostRook posted:

Stain's moniker was hero killer right? I think he was mostly about killing heroes.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
or he's just more famous for killing heroes, not many people care as much when "villains" get murdered

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Stain likely has a weird relationship with villains, after all, you can't really have "Heroes" without them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sure you can. Natural disasters and rescue work and all that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Marshall Law and Lobo?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Psychologically Stain could especially hate flawed heroes due to hypocrisy and whatever tragic backstory he probably has. But he could rationalise it to himself by saying villains aren't important right now compared to heroic corruption, and the remaining problem will solve itself if we can get better heroes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Marshall Law and Lobo?

I looked up Marshall Law. He hunts down Heroes who have gone Rogue and become evil and such.

I can't really consider Lobo an Anti Hero as the dude is a horrible person, who is more often a villain then he is an ally to heroes. Even then he still fights bad guys because he is more or less neutral being a bounty hunter.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bakugou calmly accepting All Might's refusal to tell him the secret about Deku is at least as dramatic as All Might and Deku crying together.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
New Chapter: http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/097/3504/1

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Iida being at school already is hilarious, All Might and Dekumom are too pure for this world I want them to get married.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Iida being at school already is hilarious, All Might and Dekumom are too pure for this world I want them to get married.
same

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dekumom is the best mom :ohdear:

The fake out with Deku running away was perfect. He got his first fan! I can't wait to see Kouta show up for his first day at UA at the end of the series.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Every point about this chapter I wanted to raise has already been raised :saddowns:

Best mom, best surrogate dad.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
No sooner did I think of it than it appeared:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The discussion in this chapter didn't really make a lot of sense to me. It just came across a little flat.

In particular the line "Things at UA are clouded in insecurity... and at the moment we are powerless to change that. However, we heroes are doing everything we can to change that!" bothers me a lot. Like yeah the easy answer is "mangastream gonna mangastream" and I know that's a sentence that can be fixed with some different wording but the way it reads is really contradictory and uninspiring, even disregarding the awkward phrasing. All Might is essentially saying "Don't worry we got this. Trust us. No really, we super got this for realsies." and she's like "well okay i guess"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I like that I'm enjoying a chapter with no action where a teacher and a mom talk for several pages more than I do half the poo poo in WSJ currently.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

The discussion in this chapter didn't really make a lot of sense to me. It just came across a little flat.

In particular the line "Things at UA are clouded in insecurity... and at the moment we are powerless to change that. However, we heroes are doing everything we can to change that!" bothers me a lot. Like yeah the easy answer is "mangastream gonna mangastream" and I know that's a sentence that can be fixed with some different wording but the way it reads is really contradictory and uninspiring, even disregarding the awkward phrasing. All Might is essentially saying "Don't worry we got this. Trust us. No really, we super got this for realsies." and she's like "well okay i guess"

I think Deku did most of the convincing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
She's saying alright because she loves her child and realizes that there's nothing that could make him happier than being with his personal hero, who in turn is speaking as if Deku is the greatest thing since sliced bread

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
But man, ua really needs to figure out how their info is leaking, be it a traitor or otherwise. Their measures for improving security are gonna continue to be worthless at this rate.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This series is officially better than One Piece in many ways by now. *drops mic*

(As for security I can only imagine yandere-chan popping up one night to assassinate Deku)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TriffTshngo posted:

In the Korean translation, All Might emphasizes that the fact that people feel insecure about / have trouble trusting 'the UA of the present' is an unavoidable fact, and that the heroes of UA are seeking to make changes because they realize the current situation is unacceptable. The Mangastream translation makes it sound like the school itself is in disarray, while the Korean translation is more about how people currently perceive UA, what with the many scandals it has undergone. He's saying that it can't be helped that people currently don't have confidence in UA, not that this perception (or the school if you follow Mangastream's translation) can't be changed. So he's asking her to shift her perspective from the UA of now to the UA of the future.

When in doubt, blame Mangastream.

It's not her just going "okay", there's a lot more gravitas in what All Might is saying because he is pretty much the greatest hero in the world and a living legend. His words carry far more weight than most, and the dude's bowing down before her.

And like other people have said, she's doing this for her son, and Deku's heartfelt words reached her as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The fanart was surprisingly good this week.