Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

ElMaligno posted:

Yesterday I was in a tournament, won one fight lost the second one. Mainly due to a bad call from the ref, my coach was livid as gently caress lmao.

Weirding out my teammates with my hairy chest was great.
good job. How do you like the zero G v3 gi? I was thinking of grabbing it.

Re: Oss. At my old judo dojo my instructor told us to yell out "Oss!" at the beginning of a match to let all the "energy" out. He's kind of a hippie so we're all yeah sure buddy and sometimes do it as a joke when sparring with beginners. Then when the beginners start mimicking us we're all like dude wtf you shouting for? That was fun.

Seeing people type it on the internet forums like reddit is loving stupid.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I had Frank Caracci write out Oss in an email to me once.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JaySB posted:

I'm a week out from Nationals and haven't been able to train because of this ringworm and I think I have pneumonia. Go me. Do I say gently caress it and still compete? Or is the smart play to not do that?

Do not spread your ringworm.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
One of my coaches is a 4x BJJ world champ and practically every other word out of his mouth is "oss", maybe that's his secret

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Bangkero posted:

Re: Oss. At my old judo dojo my instructor told us to yell out "Oss!" at the beginning of a match to let all the "energy" out. He's kind of a hippie so we're all yeah sure buddy and sometimes do it as a joke when sparring with beginners. Then when the beginners start mimicking us we're all like dude wtf you shouting for? That was fun.

Seeing people type it on the internet forums like reddit is loving stupid.

OOL: oss out loud

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

One of my coaches is a 4x BJJ world champ and practically every other word out of his mouth is "oss", maybe that's his secret

Person who recently started at my school is a competitive purple belt from Rio who regularly smashes people. Also says 'oss' a lot. Nice guy.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JaySB posted:

I'm a week out from Nationals and haven't been able to train because of this ringworm and I think I have pneumonia. Go me. Do I say gently caress it and still compete? Or is the smart play to not do that?

Speaking as somebody that once contracted face-ringworm from a tournament, please keep that poo poo to yourself.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Grifter posted:

Cool to see you posting on this forum, Mr. Pulver.

I don't know what's worst, insinuating that I am on the navy or that I am an officer :mad:

Bangkero posted:

Its my first and favorite jits Gi, oss.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I dropped in at a 10th planet gym they all really liked saying oss.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We have a guy who used to say oss after literally every sentence the instructor would say in class. Enough people made fun of him that he stopped.

Class still says oss twice at the end, once to Helio and once to instructor

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

Class still says oss twice at the end, once to Helio and once to instructor

same for my current place. i do not otherwise oss or jits but respect everyone's right to do so because out of all the dumb gay things in this dumb gay sport they are amongst the least dumb and gay

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Onegaishimasu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyn-wz5Mk_I

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 29, 2016

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Anyone else up on this whole Donkey Guard vs. Gracie tournaments fiasco?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

JaySB posted:

Anyone else up on this whole Donkey Guard vs. Gracie tournaments fiasco?

It seems dumb that donkey guard and butt scooting are illegal in a tournament, citing that they aren't realistic in a real fight, when punching is also illegal.

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 29, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

JaySB posted:

dont compete with an illness

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Keg posted:

It seems dumb that donkey guard and butt scooting are illegal in a tournament, citing that they aren't realistic in a real fight, when punching is also illegal.

Glover is fun and good. I support the donkeys. Sport BJJ doesn't resemble "real fighting" to any significant degree anyway. Spider guard, worm guard, berimbolo, 50/50, it's all silly, gay, pajama wrasslin. I think weird, creative maneuvers make the game fun to learn and to watch. I forfeited the idea of "real fighting" a long time ago. If a move is inferior, let it lose on its own merit and let us laugh at the highlight reels of its failure. Competitors should be permitted to do whatever kind of spinaroony into glue sniffer control that they wanna do.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I agree. I am also of the opinion it is "their tournament, their rules." But it's moderately insulting to say "You can't use Donkey Guard, it's silly, in a street fight you'd get kicked in the nuts" as your logic for banning it.

I think it's more than retarded that you can't heel hook in gi tournaments, amongst other things as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:stonk: even my Chinese friend doesn't say OSS that much. It's only when he bows or lifts a mat or after a good hard randori.

Did my first "guest" class of the summer yesterday, in Winnipeg. Got to learn about de la Riva, got to roll with 5 new people. I managed to not get totally smashed or embarrassed so I'm happy. I even pulled off a couple of my favorite moves, which is icing. Everybody was cool and most surprising of all the instructor, who I had met at a clinic like 5 months ago, recognized me and my name on sight.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
One of the guys at judo says OSS when you grab his lapel or when he grabs your lapel or when he blocks a throw or if he moves in for a throw and then cancels or anything really. It puts me off slightly actually. Hes a black belt but cant even really do 10 chin ups, its weird because hes a beast in randori and hes really cut.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
And I hold the record for the most pushups non stop in our current batch of judoka so thats made me feel good. Pity its not actually useful.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

JaySB posted:

I think it's more than retarded that you can't heel hook in gi tournaments, amongst other things as well.

What are your opinions wrt competing with ringworm on your face

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

origami posted:

What are your opinions wrt competing with ringworm on your face

Considering I haven't trained and cancelled my entry. You guess. I'm still hoping it clears up by then though.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

JaySB posted:

Considering I haven't trained and cancelled my entry. You guess. I'm still hoping it clears up by then though.

Oss

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What are people's approaches to smaller injuries? I feel a bit bad taking time off for small things but it seems so easy to accidentally make a small injury worse in bjj despite looking out for it. I see a bunch of people at my gym who are addicted and they come back seemingly too early and they have niggling to significant injuries that last a really long time and I can't help but think the bjj isn't helping. I took off about 2 weeks after a rotator cuff injury I got from moving a friend in/bjj/weight lifting and I think it was a really smart decision seeing as how it was flaring up just shooting a basketball and now it's 95%. I'm mainly asking because I've got a bright red swollen toe atm from yesterday's class and I want to train tomorrow, it feels lame to take off for an injured toe (idk if it was jammed bent whatever) but it hurts to walk and I know I probably won't be able to resist doing a bit of rolling if I show up to class tomorrow.

e-

Nierbo posted:

And I hold the record for the most pushups non stop in our current batch of judoka so thats made me feel good. Pity its not actually useful.

how many?

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I would definitely not go train if I could barely walk. I injured my toe in judo several years ago, and it's still the worst injury I've had; I can't bend it fully anymore, and while it hasn't been much of a problem since starting BJJ, fear of aggravating the injury was the main reason I had for not training for a long time.

I've been out with what I hope is a small injury in my hip/thigh area for the past month or so. It started off as a minor nuisance that I felt I could train with, but after a few weeks I really hosed it up when doing sprawls during warm-ups (and stupidly training for the next hour instead of listening to my body). Don't sacrifice weeks or months of training just to get that one extra session in.

My initial injury came from being a total idiot, trying to use what had been my white belt cheat code mount escape against a purple belt, except unlike this video I just throw my leg up there with no set up, meaning people who have some semblance of balance can just lean forward and destroy me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCTsS7s6tBw

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

What are people's approaches to smaller injuries? I feel a bit bad taking time off for small things but it seems so easy to accidentally make a small injury worse in bjj despite looking out for it. I see a bunch of people at my gym who are addicted and they come back seemingly too early and they have niggling to significant injuries that last a really long time and I can't help but think the bjj isn't helping. I took off about 2 weeks after a rotator cuff injury I got from moving a friend in/bjj/weight lifting and I think it was a really smart decision seeing as how it was flaring up just shooting a basketball and now it's 95%. I'm mainly asking because I've got a bright red swollen toe atm from yesterday's class and I want to train tomorrow, it feels lame to take off for an injured toe (idk if it was jammed bent whatever) but it hurts to walk and I know I probably won't be able to resist doing a bit of rolling if I show up to class tomorrow.

Speaking as a pretty average 30-something hobbyist that's been at this for a this for a few years, I've never really regretted missing any one particular day of training. I take days off all the time cause I'm tired as gently caress from work, shoulders are feeling lovely, might be getting a cold etc. That said, my number one goal with jiu jitsu is to have fun and stay in decent shape/health. If you're training to dominate the next tournament and become the next Keenan or whatever, yeah learn to deal with a tweaked toe.

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 30, 2016

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Seltzer posted:

e-

how many?

i tape up fingers/toes and roll bc I have plenty of spares. I don't have many feet / shoulders / knees etc. to go around so those I baby a lil more

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Seltzer posted:

how many?
56..... :( but thats not bad considering I don't do pushups at any other time outside of Judo warmups. I know its not indicative of anything but it was nice to beat the jacked guys at something, cos I suire as hell can't beat em at Judo.
Word is earlier in the year they had a drop in who could walk in and bust out 90+ cold.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

i tape up fingers/toes and roll bc I have plenty of spares. I don't have many feet / shoulders / knees etc. to go around so those I baby a lil more

I generally take a few days off for fingers/toes and then tape 'em up and go, once most of my range of motion is pain free. I recently posted about popping a finger (went to the doc, just a sprain), and would be back on the mat already, except I got some gross loving skin infection (doc thinks its impetigo) so I'm off for a while.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Nierbo posted:

56..... :( but thats not bad considering I don't do pushups at any other time outside of Judo warmups. I know its not indicative of anything but it was nice to beat the jacked guys at something, cos I suire as hell can't beat em at Judo.
Word is earlier in the year they had a drop in who could walk in and bust out 90+ cold.

There's women at my crossfit gym that can bust out 200 consecutive pushups, it's pretty badass and I can only do 30 before breaking. However, none of them can pull guard or shoot lovely doubles as well as I can.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Seltzer posted:

e-

how many?

I just took a month off for a sprained ankle (badly sprained, partial ligament tear) and I'm going to spend the next month drilling but not rolling. I don't gently caress with injuries because I want to grapple forever

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i intend to die quite young, ideally at my own hand, so injuries mean little to nothing, to me

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Seltzer posted:

What are people's approaches to smaller injuries? I feel a bit bad taking time off for small things but it seems so easy to accidentally make a small injury worse in bjj despite looking out for it. I see a bunch of people at my gym who are addicted and they come back seemingly too early and they have niggling to significant injuries that last a really long time and I can't help but think the bjj isn't helping.

BJJ practioners are notorious for coming back two weeks early and getting reinjured for six weeks. Sounds like you have better instincts than most of us and should trust them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Short answer: don't train hurt

Long answer: don't train hurt, idiot

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I tapped someone tonight! I've been bjj'ing for 6 months or so but only rolling for about 2 months. My first legit sub, a toe hold. It was against a newer white belt. He is / was a wrestler who is about my weight and has constantly had me in side control every time we roll and I have not be able to do poo poo. He looked surprised as poo poo and did not want to tap but I rolled on the presser and he did. Almost got a kimura on him as well. Bjj is starting to get fun, at least today.

Feels good man.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone have bafflingly inconsistent rolls with partners in your gym? On any given day I can give very good purple belts a decent fight, and in the very next roll get bullied by white belt. Is this just the nature of the game, given everyone has different strengths, body types, mentalities etc? Or something I should be working on? Maybe I'm playing-up/down, subconsciously to my partner, trying to remain at their level. I'm not sure. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm a 6 month blue belt by the way.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone have bafflingly inconsistent rolls with partners in your gym? On any given day I can give very good purple belts a decent fight, and in the very next roll get bullied by white belt. Is this just the nature of the game, given everyone has different strengths, body types, mentalities etc? Or something I should be working on? Maybe I'm playing-up/down, subconsciously to my partner, trying to remain at their level. I'm not sure. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm a 6 month blue belt by the way.

The purple belts are taking it easy on you, because they know how to adjust to a partner when rolling. Your fellow beginners haven't learned that yet.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Of course that makes complete sense! Cheers

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I've been told by some of the higher belts that I need to up my intensity when sparring. I'm on the large side for the class and so afraid of being labeled the fat spazzy guy that I move way too slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

I've been told by some of the higher belts that I need to up my intensity when sparring. I'm on the large side for the class and so afraid of being labeled the fat spazzy guy that I move way too slowly.

I had a really hard time finding the middle ground between spazzy and comatose. The fact that you're concerned and aware of it means you're going to get it right. Share your concerns with the upper belts giving that feedback and see if they can help you calibrate.