Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for that to appear, heck mITX should been the NV reference model for the 1070 all along. AIB 1070s with 300mm+ lengths are ridiculously overbuilt for a GPU with 150W TDP.

I'm all about ITX stuff, but keep in mind that normal size custom boards can all run passively on desktop/indie games, while the ITX sized cards can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

wicka posted:

i am just super duper curious to find out why this is happening with release cards and not whatever AMD sent to PCI-SIG

When I was googling this issue yesterday, one link I found claimed that PCI-Sig doesn't actually test power draw in their current compliance standards.

BurritoJustice posted:

I think it would be wise to return it and wait a short while longer. PCPer recently put out an article confirming the issue and stating they find it concerning, so it's gone beyond just conjecture. In addition, very soon we will see aftermarket 480s and potentially a GTX1060 that may well see a better buy emerging in the same price range.

Unless you absolutely need to play games super high quality right now, of course. I honestly wouldn't blame you. If the PCIE problem ends up being enough of an issue to worry about, AMD will end up having to fix it for everyone affected one way or another.

Yeah, I think I'm going to start yelling at Newegg. The "replacement only" may be a problem but I'll see what they say.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 1, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

repiv posted:

All they had to do was move the 8-pin to the end of the card :eng99:

Hopefully Asus will have more sense when they inevitably do their mini 1070.

Yeah that seems like a major oversight. Even full ATX cases have problems fitting tall cards with upward pointing power connectors.

But I then again have managed to just-so-barely fit a Zotac 1070 AMP and the power cabling into a Corsair 250D put so YMMV.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Craptacular! posted:

I'm a hackintosh, so Nvidia is a must for me simply as a matter of software compatibility. I once used Radeon cards until 2010, though, when I began goofing with Ubuntu etc.

Where are you getting OSX drivers, given that Apple hasn't ever used a 9xx series nVidia GPU in their machines? Apple's all AMD right now, and speculation is that the Macbook Pros / iMacs are going to get refreshed with AMD Polaris based GPUs.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

When I was googling this issue yesterday, one link I found claimed that PCI-Sig doesn't actually test power draw in their current compliance standards.

I read the same thing. I've been trying to find where I read it without success. For what I read, PCI-SIG tests for data/software compatibility, and leaves the electrical side to manufacturers to test.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The problem with "It only hurts cheap motherboards!" is that I can't imagine someone with a Asus Maximus VIII Extreme buying a $200 GPU.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Anyway, does anyone have any idea how long this problem might take to fix / when aftermarket cards might start coming out that don't have this problem?

I just want to have a new working card before the new Deus Ex comes out in late August. And it's gotta be an AMD card because Freesync is cheaper than Gsync and Deus Ex is AMD / DX12 optimized.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

The problem with "It only hurts cheap motherboards!" is that I can't imagine someone with a Asus Maximus VIII Extreme buying a $200 GPU.

Let me quote myself here

I guess if you use three you can cause trouble with any motherboard

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm honestly having a hard time believing going 5W over spec would kill someone's slot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Truga posted:

I'm honestly having a hard time believing going 5W over spec would kill someone's slot.

He says it was the XFX version, and one of those (the same one I bought) is factory overclocked, so likely drawing significantly more.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ak Gara posted:

The problem with "It only hurts cheap motherboards!" is that it shouldn't hurt any mobo to begin with at plain jane stock settings.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Twerk from Home posted:

Where are you getting OSX drivers, given that Apple hasn't ever used a 9xx series nVidia GPU in their machines? Apple's all AMD right now, and speculation is that the Macbook Pros / iMacs are going to get refreshed with AMD Polaris based GPUs.

Nvidia releases web drivers for Macs that you can install to gain support for their latest cards: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-releases-alternate-graphics-drivers-for-os-x-10-11-4-346-03-06.188837/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

precisely, this card is meant for people with cheap motherboards. it's meant to be slotted in to an off-the-shell dell.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyway, does anyone have any idea how long this problem might take to fix / when aftermarket cards might start coming out that don't have this problem?

I just want to have a new working card before the new Deus Ex comes out in late August. And it's gotta be an AMD card because Freesync is cheaper than Gsync and Deus Ex is AMD / DX12 optimized.

powercolor's devil giveaway contest ends july 11th, people are assuming the custom cards will be announced or released around that time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

wicka posted:

powercolor's devil giveaway contest ends july 11th, people are assuming the custom cards will be announced or released around that time.

Yeah, I'm just hoping everyone doesn't have to go back to the drawing board and delay things another month and change.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Nvidia releases web drivers for Macs that you can install to gain support for their latest cards: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-releases-alternate-graphics-drivers-for-os-x-10-11-4-346-03-06.188837/

Well, I'm surprised. I wonder what macs they're testing these on and if it's a formal thing or they've got a room full of license-violating hackintoshes at nVidia.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
How bad of coil whine do ya'll tolerate?

I turned Afterburner on to see how loud my GPU fans get at full load (hint: not very) and I noticed the coil whine after it was at load. (I'm not going to hear it over my CPU fans and with my headphones on though)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Inverness posted:

No, this was at the perfect time to make people consider waiting it out for the 1060.
As soon as nvidia moved up the 1060 to a week after, everyone should have waited. (Though even if the 1060 is awesome, which the specs plus a price match would be, there's still the question of availability.)

Xae posted:

It is interesting that it showed up so fast. The 960 draws more from the PCI-E than the RX480 does but doesn't look like it burned out anyone's board.

It feels kinda sketch that posts happen a few hours after the power problems get reported. But OTOH if you have a lovely board that barely met spec in the first place, I guess it could produce immediate failures. Take things with a small grain of salt.

edit: or putting 3 of them in, I could see requesting 240 watts off the mobo being an issue :okpos:

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 1, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, I'm surprised. I wonder what macs they're testing these on and if it's a formal thing or they've got a room full of license-violating hackintoshes at nVidia.

The old Mac Pro tower takes standard PCI-E cards and is still supported by the latest OS X versions, so they're probably just using those.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
TecLab finds 126W draw from the slot in FurMark

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Has AMD addressed the PCPER, etc findings? I can't find anything and that seems weird.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

General E posted:

Has AMD addressed the PCPER, etc findings? I can't find anything and that seems weird.

All they've said is that it passed their internal testing and PCI-SIG tests and that they'll investigate further. If PCI-SIG doesn't actually test power consumption like it's been speculated here, then we might be in some deep doodoo here.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm really on the fence right now about returning my G1 1070.

I was annoyed with the noise but after further testing and messing with the fan curve I can have it run around 75-76°C with about 50% fan, which is not too bad. It's just that around 55% fan it starts making a very distinct whining noise.

Then I started overclocking and got to about 2130mhz on the core without issues. Do all 1070"s OC this well? (gained about 13% performance over the aftermarket OC)

I have like 8 more days to decide whetehr I want to return it and wait for an MSI gaming X 1070 to become available which tested about 3-4 Dba less noisy. But then I might get a snub chip that doesn't OC past 2k or something.

UGH, first world problems, someone please talk some reason into me

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

How bad of coil whine do ya'll tolerate?

I turned Afterburner on to see how loud my GPU fans get at full load (hint: not very) and I noticed the coil whine after it was at load. (I'm not going to hear it over my CPU fans and with my headphones on though)

Is it under any load, or just when hitting 150+ fps?
The latter is normal, but if it starts buzzing and wheezing playing Witcher 3 at 50fps I'd send it back for sure.
You should also buy a 25$ tower CPU cooler if you got a stock one, the difference is immense. I ran stock for a while and was dreading even starting up games for the noise that would immediately ensue, no fun at all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Khorne posted:

My 1070 came in today, the cheaper MSI one with the frozr cooler...

What kind of OC experiences did other people have?

Same card (MSI 8G Gaming, not "X") I'm assuming. I got to +200 core and around +630 memory. Kept getting artifacts if I tried to shoot memory up much more. Going to play with fan settings more and see what more I can pull out of it.

Mikojan posted:

Then I started overclocking and got to about 2130mhz on the core without issues. Do all 1070"s OC this well? (gained about 13% performance over the aftermarket OC)

Stock, my card was 1519 for clock, 2002 for the memory and 1709 boost. Sounds like you're doing better than my quieter MSI.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mikojan posted:

I was annoyed with the noise but after further testing and messing with the fan curve I can have it run around 75-76°C with about 50% fan, which is not too bad. It's just that around 55% fan it starts making a very distinct whining noise.

I have like 8 more days to decide whetehr I want to return it and wait for an MSI gaming X 1070 to become available which tested about 3-4 Dba less noisy. But then I might get a snub chip that doesn't OC past 2k or something.

That seems like a really really nice OC. But a fan really shouldn't be making a whining noise, it's almost certainly defective. I'd probably keep the card and just try to replace the fan yourself, or worst case, just slap a custom cooler on the card.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mikojan posted:

Can you move your case? Even a meter will make a big difference in db levels. Also, angles and reflection can make a difference. My fans bug me a little if my head is perpendicular to my display, for some reason. The sound "whinier" at that angle. Thankfully I don't face that way.

Unrelated, I'm beginning to dread finding out console ports are frame capped at 60fps now. I fired up Sonic Racing Transformed for the first time on this new display, assuming it would be :pcgaming: as hell at 144hz, only to be massively let down by a 60fps limited physics engine. The contrast effect after playing a couple hours of DOOM at 144hz was too much and it felt slow and low fidelity. :smith:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Beautiful Ninja posted:

All they've said is that it passed their internal testing and PCI-SIG tests and that they'll investigate further. If PCI-SIG doesn't actually test power consumption like it's been speculated here, then we might be in some deep doodoo here.

and even that was just because they got caught out during a reddit AMA. There's been no other response.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yikes. Furmark is loving inane, but they really need a cap on slot draw.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

How do Skylake integrated graphics stack up against a GTX 460? I'm buying the rest of an long needed upgrade while I wait for one of the new cards to become available, and am wondering if I should bother putting that GPU in or just run off integrated

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So is this a matter of waiting for a custom manufacturer 480 with better cooling and power wattage, or biting the bullet with the reference card if your motherboard isn't a Z170 or better?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Julie And Candy posted:

How do Skylake integrated graphics stack up against a GTX 460? I'm buying the rest of an long needed upgrade while I wait for one of the new cards to become available, and am wondering if I should bother putting that GPU in or just run off integrated

It looks to me like a 460 will likely be a bit quicker than the HD 530 in most skylake i3/i5/i7. That said, there's no harm in trying integrated graphics before you put that GPU in and seeing if that'll last you to a new GPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Julie And Candy posted:

Skylake HD 530 = R7 240 DDR3 (720p Anandtech)
HD5850 = GTX 460 which is ~2.5x faster than R7 240 DDR3 (1080p Tom's Charts)

Yeah despite pitting against 6-7 year old then-popular GPUs the iGPU is still pretty bad.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

Is it under any load, or just when hitting 150+ fps?
The latter is normal, but if it starts buzzing and wheezing playing Witcher 3 at 50fps I'd send it back for sure.
You should also buy a 25$ tower CPU cooler if you got a stock one, the difference is immense. I ran stock for a while and was dreading even starting up games for the noise that would immediately ensue, no fun at all.

I switched tests in MSI Kombustor from the one I was using (GF OC test) which only set GPU load at 80% where it was especially noticeable. The other tests bumped that up to 96/97% where the coil whine was gone. Problem solved.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Julie And Candy posted:

GTX 460 is going to be the way to go. Almost always integrated will be inferior

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Junior Jr. posted:

So is this a matter of waiting for a custom manufacturer 480 with better cooling and power wattage, or biting the bullet with the reference card if your motherboard isn't a Z170 or better?

Do NOT buy the reference 480s until all of this power stuff is settled. (At this point the reviewers are so all over the place that some of these results have to be errors or guys who aren't electrical engineers doing it wrong. But better safe than get a card that could kill your mobo.)

Julie And Candy posted:

Just use the integrated because either way sucks so you're going to be playing ancient games and indie 2d stuff that runs on anything.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Truga posted:

Klyith posted:

edit: or putting 3 of them in, I could see requesting 240 watts off the mobo being an issue :okpos:

378W? Jesus! :gonk:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
G1 1070s seem to be staying in stock at the moment http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Xae posted:

It is interesting that it showed up so fast. The 960 draws more from the PCI-E than the RX480 does but doesn't look like it burned out anyone's board.
Yeah I didn't think this would be a issue but even if only a few are effected this is a set back for AMD. It'll be interesting to see how they respond. But a good response is necessary.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wish it was on amazon so I could get it delivered before 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Klyith posted:

Do NOT buy the reference 480s until all of this power stuff is settled. (At this point the reviewers are so all over the place that some of these results have to be errors or guys who aren't electrical engineers doing it wrong. But better safe than get a card that could kill your mobo.)

Just use the integrated because either way sucks so you're going to be playing ancient games and indie 2d stuff that runs on anything.

The 460 is old, but a lot better than that integrated GPU. I've been using a 5770 (which is a bit slower than the 460) and even that is easily twice as fast as the HD4600 in my haswell CPU. You can't run AAA games but things like overwatch on appropriate settings are a much better experience on an old discrete GPU than a new integrated.