Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Adele at Glastonbury was bloody amazing

New Order were better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Adele at Glastonbury was bloody amazing

I keep waiting for everyone to wake up from the collective delusion that Adele is anything other than complete poo poo, but it's never gonna happen.

She seems like quite a nice lady, but her music is just soporific, trite garbage. She has a good range but her delivery is just this forced foghorn blare, where she chews on every vowel til the actual words are mangled beyond understanding. Bleh.

Hope people had a good time though

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mellomeh posted:

Did anyone watch Flowers? Wonderful show - probably the best thing C4's aired since Black Mirror.

Can't believe I could miss a show with both Olivia Colman and Julian Barratt in it. Will report back when I'm done with it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I keep waiting for everyone to wake up from the collective delusion that Adele is anything other than complete poo poo, but it's never gonna happen.

She seems like quite a nice lady, but her music is just soporific, trite garbage. She has a good range but her delivery is just this forced foghorn blare, where she chews on every vowel til the actual words are mangled beyond understanding. Bleh.

Also the way her voice squeaks on the high notes like she's just been punched in the voice box.

"Don't forget me, erggggh beg you"

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Can't believe I could miss a show with both Olivia Colman and Julian Barratt in it. Will report back when I'm done with it.

Don't blame you, C4 showed an episode a day for a week so the whole show came and went super quickly. It is fantastic though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

reality_groove posted:

Don't blame you, C4 showed an episode a day for a week so the whole show came and went super quickly. It is fantastic though.

It is absolutely amazing. Very reminiscent of Julia Davis' shows in all their dark heart-wrenching misery and family disasters, but with a nice silvery lining to it, I suppose. A must watch.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

She's music for grandmas, which is fine. Old dears should have some entertainment that keeps their blood pressure low and is non-threatening. The fact that she's popular in the general populace is baffling to me, but then again I'm wearing an Iron Maiden tshirt right now so I probably don't have a leg to stand on here.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mellomeh posted:

Did anyone watch Flowers? Wonderful show - probably the best thing C4's aired since Black Mirror.
This is the sort of thing that I wish we had more of in this thread, because this is fantastic and yet I would probably never have heard of it outside of here.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I think its because people just empathise with her quite easily. She might be a millionaire, but she'll still chat away on stage in a colloquial manner and stop once in a while to sip her tea and then just burst into the next song. Shes got this mix of celebrity royalty and just a down to earth nature and I think people connect with that. The real test will be to see if she has any staying power as a cultural icon, but gently caress it, we live in a country that worships X-Factor winners and private educated performers, and shes by no means the most irritating or offensive musician going, so I hope people just enjoy it and the rest of us can just listen to something else instead.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Gorn Myson posted:

I think its because people just empathise with her quite easily. She might be a millionaire, but she'll still chat away on stage in a colloquial manner and stop once in a while to sip her tea and then just burst into the next song.

She moans obnoxiously about how much tax she pays and is a massive tory though. Her and Gary Barlow should get together.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New documentary on BBC4 (on iplayer now), Inside Porton Downs.

Michael Mosley (always a dead giveaway that it's good) talking about a weapons research facility. Within 30 seconds of the start of the show, he's in a room filled with CS gas.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

New documentary on BBC4 (on iplayer now), Inside Porton Downs.

Michael Mosley (always a dead giveaway that it's good) talking about a weapons research facility. Within 30 seconds of the start of the show, he's in a room filled with CS gas.

God drat I want that man's life

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He's the Hunter S. Thompson of the medical world

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How about this story that Matt LeBlanc will quit the shadow cabinet Top Gear unless Chris Evans goes first?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With the way Evans has been behaving recently, I'm not overly surprised.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It might be for the best. I actually don't mind Evans all that much, but from what I saw in TOP GEAR he was incredibly dedicated to trying too hard. LeBlanc seems like he doesn't care, which isn't the insult it sounds like, I just mean he doesn't seem to worry that he's following up a very successful trio whereas Evans is all too aware.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

reformed bad troll posted:

New Order were better.

I was there and can confirm that both new order and Adele were loving awful

Craig Charles off his tits on whatever playing a brass band cover of sexual healing from atop a giant mechanical spider meanwhile was incredible

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Whorelord posted:

Craig Charles off his tits on whatever playing a brass band cover of sexual healing from atop a giant mechanical spider meanwhile was incredible

This I gotta see!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Whorelord posted:

I was there and can confirm that both new order and Adele were loving awful

I remember watching the spider scene in Wild Wild West and thinking"all this is missing is Craig Charles"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The chief injustice of Glastonbury was that they broadcast coverage of Saturday on 6 Music in Craig Charles's usual slot but I don't think they played much of his own set.

It'll be weird when Robot Wars comes back without him. I like Dara Ó Briain a lot but Charles's presenting style was a big part of what I liked about the original show (him and Jonathan Pearce cackling like a madman).

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I remember watching the spider scene in Wild Wild West and thinking"all this is missing is Craig Charles"

I know right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He does love that brass band cover.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Weird that for some reason on iplayer the coverage of Beck only runs half hour. Would've been good to see the whole thing.

In other news, I don't think anyone has thrown themselves into anything quite as much as Chris Kamara has in Murder In Successville.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

goatface posted:

He does love that brass band cover.

it is a great cover

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
2016 continues its relentless march to kill everyone in its path, this time Caroline Aherne at 52

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
God, that's terrible :(

To keep the TV chat going, I'm going to give "A Touch of Cloth" a go, seeing as I've already paid for six months of Now TV (for very little) and GoT is over. So far: it's very bad, but I think that's the point.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm literally rewatching The Royle Family as we speak cuz I noticed it was on Netflix.

RIP :smith:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Squalitude posted:

To keep the TV chat going, I'm going to give "A Touch of Cloth" a go, seeing as I've already paid for six months of Now TV (for very little) and GoT is over. So far: it's very bad, but I think that's the point.

A touch of cloth is good, but I think there's just too many gags coming at you too quickly. Not even Police Squad! could keep up that sort of pace

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Scorchio. :(

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Squalitude posted:

A Touch of Cloth can be hit and miss, but the jokes and puns come so thick and fast that it really won me over. It's utterly silly, but if you can get behind that it's a lot of fun

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

A Touch of Cloth can be hit and miss, but the jokes and puns come so thick and fast that it really won me over. It's utterly silly, but if you can get behind that it's a lot of fun

Yeah, give it a chance. It's dumb and silly but the good kind of dumb and silly.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

"so it's a therapist-cum-spar?"
"Yes but we had to close the cum spar. Too many unwanted pregnancies"

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I forgot that was her. :( Channel 9 was great. And very accurate.

Unfortunately, Spanish TV isn't as mockable nowadays. It all seems to be costume dramas, gritty dramas, and Spanish versions of Masterchef, X Factor etc. No fun.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Just binged through Murder in Successville based on the recommendations of this thread. Holy poo poo, Chris Kamara/Kim Useless.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006

Sudden Javelin posted:

Just binged through Murder in Successville based on the recommendations of this thread. Holy poo poo, Chris Kamara/Kim Useless.

Murder in Successville is such a great idea for telly, the only downside is that sometimes the guests can be a bit poo poo. The bloke last week for example, was so up himself I couldn't finish the episode.

Chris Kamara was so into it however I also almost couldn't finish watching - but for very different reasons.

My favourite bits are when they all start corpsing in the middle of a scene, it's just so ridiculous I love it.

I do get the impression that they must do several takes of the same scene though, that or Chris Kamara is an improv genius. Some of the one liners he was coming up with destroyed me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how they choose the "guest".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Royality posted:

Murder in Successville is such a great idea for telly, the only downside is that sometimes the guests can be a bit poo poo. The bloke last week for example, was so up himself I couldn't finish the episode.

Chris Kamara was so into it however I also almost couldn't finish watching - but for very different reasons.

My favourite bits are when they all start corpsing in the middle of a scene, it's just so ridiculous I love it.

I do get the impression that they must do several takes of the same scene though, that or Chris Kamara is an improv genius. Some of the one liners he was coming up with destroyed me.

They did a making of piece in the Guardian that was pretty interesting. To be fair if they were doing several takes some of the guests would be a lot funnier than they end up being. There's been one or two that haven't been into it at all.

Kamara just seemed completely into it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Limmy's Show is on Netflix for those who haven't seen it yet. That is all.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Evans is gone from Top Gear.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is a high class of meltdown. You just don't get that lack of commitment from a lesser host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Red is Dead posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand Evans is gone from Top Gear.

Boris Johnson is replacing him. It's the real reason he decided to back out.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 4, 2016