Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Christ almighty my kingdom for a local Toronto store that both stocks good stuff and isn't 2x as expensive as everywhere online :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Only 2x? I paid eight dollars for one pair of deans connectors. And for dollars for a pre wired jst pair.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Christ almighty my kingdom for a local Toronto store that both stocks good stuff and isn't 2x as expensive as everywhere online :argh:

I just found out about a place called RotorQuest in north York. there's also NGHobbies and RotorGeeks but yeah price on everything is high.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Only 2x? I paid eight dollars for one pair of deans connectors. And for dollars for a pre wired jst pair.

Thankfully there's a Home Hardware near me that has electronics at reasonable prices. Even got XT60s at a good price. They carry a bunch of Arduino stuff but nothing rotor related wah wah.

Actually you know what, I wouldn't even mind ordering from the states with a week delay (as opposed to a month from China) if it didn't mean like $30 shipping minimum from most places. And then paying UPS/FedEx "brokerage" fees for the privilege of having them import it.

bring back old gbs posted:

I just found out about a place called RotorQuest in north York. there's also NGHobbies and RotorGeeks but yeah price on everything is high.

Oh huh, that place is walking distance from Downsview. I'll have to check it out one day.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm hoping to see some study guides or something for the 107 test. I have had a 333 for a while, before the process got too ridiculous.

Luckily I have a testing center close but I called them and they have no idea what's going on so that's not surprising.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
I figured this thread would be the best spot to ask about live stream cameras. I want to buy a camera that my parents can attach to their kites and live stream to a phone or laptop as they sit and watch. They usually fly at about 200-500 feet I'd guess. Any recommendations?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

knowonecanknow posted:

I figured this thread would be the best spot to ask about live stream cameras. I want to buy a camera that my parents can attach to their kites and live stream to a phone or laptop as they sit and watch. They usually fly at about 200-500 feet I'd guess. Any recommendations?

For a wifi connection, it's hard to get any real good range. This is probably your best bet: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2554718

though its range is limited to about 100 feet.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Any recommended unit for recording FPV RX on the ground?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peepsalot posted:

I'd like a cheap solution for this as well. I want to start recording my puttering around.

PicoPod MicroQuad!!

This is a 106mm frame I had custom cut from Armattan Produtions. 2mm plate is a bit thin and I've already broken one. Luckily I ordered 2 and the next version will be a bit thicker with no stupid cutouts in the arms.

LT200 vtx direct soldered antenna/wiring
600tvl garbagecam (is there a good micro camera?)
RCX 1105 5000kv
ZTW 18a(ewwwwwwww)
CF720x FC/DSM2 combo

87.5g dry weight

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

an AOL chatroom posted:

For a wifi connection, it's hard to get any real good range. This is probably your best bet: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2554718

though its range is limited to about 100 feet.

What other connectivity methods are there? I literally know nothing about this stuff. There has to be something with good range if people are flying drones to the top of giant windmills and stuff.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

peepsalot posted:

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-DVR-Video-Audio-Recorder-For-FPV-Multicopters-p-1021117.html

I have this and it's works well.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I got a 3d printer on the way, I am pretty excited to being able to print my own parts instead of relying on a friend to do it for me.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

I'm hoping to see some study guides or something for the 107 test. I have had a 333 for a while, before the process got too ridiculous.

Luckily I have a testing center close but I called them and they have no idea what's going on so that's not surprising.

the specific drone related stuff can be found on the practice test on faasafety (well, not really a practice, this counts as the test you need to take if you already have a real pilots license, but its really easy). I was told to use Asa prepware, as you probably will be quizzed on all the aeronautical map stuff (that seemed like the hardest part for me when i looked at this random review they had halfway through the online course as a refresher to those who already took ground school)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

knowonecanknow posted:

What other connectivity methods are there? I literally know nothing about this stuff. There has to be something with good range if people are flying drones to the top of giant windmills and stuff.

Drones aren't using wifi to transmit their video. Most platforms operate on 2.4 or 5.8ghz systems. I guess you could rig up a camera, transmitter, and battery to a kite but you wouldn't be able to receive the video on a cell phone. You'd also need a receiver set to the same frequency and connected to a small monitor.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Reccomendations for a soldering iron? I don't think my 20 year old $5 model will cut it. What price point am I looking at for a solid performer?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AS28UC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BROExbEQ2P5KX

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's a $15 Iron with a rheostat. Look up hakko 888. Real temp control, and under 100

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Also suggesting Aoyue. Weird name, but good irons and good price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I30QBW

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I have this one and it's surprisingly decent!:
https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Rework-Station-Stand-Nozzle/dp/B01AMC0L2M/ref=lp_13837391_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1467653326&sr=1-7

The iron could heat up quicker (being digital and all), but the heatgun is really handy too.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I have this one it has served me really well.

Here is some schematics and other info :
http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/wlc100.html

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The hobbyking $17 special, or the hakko 888

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The hobbyking $17 special, or the hakko 888

$17 and $99 is a pretty big price disparity. Is the $60 option not worthwhile? I don't have a lot of experience, but I generally know why cheapo ones suck. I'm not really clear on the benefits and differences of the $50 + price point.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
This review pretty much sums it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSl1aCh45bo

I got the hakko 888 and it's really nice.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Geburan posted:

$17 and $99 is a pretty big price disparity. Is the $60 option not worthwhile? I don't have a lot of experience, but I generally know why cheapo ones suck. I'm not really clear on the benefits and differences of the $50 + price point.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

The 60 aoyue option is identical to the $17 option except for the digital display. I have no use for hot air rework but I do know one person with that particular station that likes it a lot.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The 60 aoyue option is identical to the $17 option except for the digital display. I have no use for hot air rework but I do know one person with that particular station that likes it a lot.

I primarily use the hot air for shrinking heatshrink and it's super convenient for that. I've done a little SMD resoldering and it's been quite handy for depinning too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've been flying my seemingly indestructible syma x5c for a few months and am getting pretty good at line of site piloting. Today I set up a course in my front yard with two 4'x4' gates and two trees. Best part of the syma is the props don't spin fast enough to break even at full speed impact, so I had a few occasions of clipping the gate, spinning a few times, recovering and flying off. I'm still extremely jealous of the fpv rigs but that equipment is the most expensive aspect of a 250 setup.

Is it at all worthwhile to get a rtf 250 kit and fly by site? Or is the speed, height, and direction just too difficult to handle without fpv? I know it won't be nearly as forgiving to crashes, even at low speeds, and part of me figures a lifetime of 30 seconds before I smash it into the dirt.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

save up for an fpv setup and get a 210 kit instead of a 250

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
^^^ I don't know, a 210 might be a bit much for a beginner. My first quad was an Eachine Racer 250 and that was an amazing beginner craft.

Meet your new little brother! Isn't he cute...?

I decided I was sick of crashing my QAV210 at high speed and rebuilding the drat thing every other day. So I decided to get more practice by building a micro out of some spare parts. It's a Lantian LT130 and it's fun as heck. I was debating going the tiny whoop route or something with a little more upgrade potential, so I went with this build. Probably a bit more difficult to fly around the house since it is way more powerful than any brushed motor quad even though it's only rocking 1104 motors. So much fun to open up my front and back doors and do laps around the house and out into the yard. It's crazy difficult to navigate through doorways but I'm getting better at it. Breaking a LOT of those little props but the frame and components are holding together like a champ.

Running on an SP Racing F3 with Betaflight 2.6. I can get about 4-1/2 mins on a 450mah 3s battery. It can lift a 1000mah 3s but it flies like a motorhome.

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 5, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've been flying my seemingly indestructible syma x5c for a few months and am getting pretty good at line of site piloting. Today I set up a course in my front yard with two 4'x4' gates and two trees. Best part of the syma is the props don't spin fast enough to break even at full speed impact, so I had a few occasions of clipping the gate, spinning a few times, recovering and flying off. I'm still extremely jealous of the fpv rigs but that equipment is the most expensive aspect of a 250 setup.

Is it at all worthwhile to get a rtf 250 kit and fly by site? Or is the speed, height, and direction just too difficult to handle without fpv? I know it won't be nearly as forgiving to crashes, even at low speeds, and part of me figures a lifetime of 30 seconds before I smash it into the dirt.

Its an extra $50 for a full fpv setup these days. (the quanum cyclops)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Its an extra $50 for a full fpv setup these days. (the quanum cyclops)

Add camera, VRX, antennas and lipos, even a budget setup is ~$200.

As for size vs durability: The large it is, the easier it'll break. A sub-200mm size will be extremely durable if built right. Smaller ones are *much* harder to do LOS, though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Get a 210 if you want 5" props. FPV really isn't terribly expensive but it CAN be. Fatsharks carry a big price tag and I'm sure I will catch some poo poo for this but you can buy a 7" LCD screen with built in 5.8ghz reciever for $~100

http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Eachine-Racer-250-FPV-Drone-7-Inch-5_8G-32CH-Diversity-Wireless-Monitor-wp-Usa-998312.html
http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-Skyzone-SKY700D-FPV-58G-32CH-Diversity-7-Inch-TFT-Monitor-DVR-wp-Usa-926987.html

The second one is a "diversity" setup which means it has 2 antennas and 2 receivers and it shows you the video feed from the strongest one. Typically you run those with one omnidirection antenna and one directional antenna pointing to the general area you're flying in.

http://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...sa-1046165.html

This is a camera/VTX setup, make sure you get a 90-150 degree lens anything wider will be very distorted and hard to judge distance and space around you. The camera included in this setup is junk(EDIT: Actually it's a 1/3" sony CCD cam if the description can be trusted, maybe not so bad afterall) but it WILL work and get you flying(upgrade routes are the HS117 or Runcam Swift at 210mm frame size), the VTX is actually pretty capable I use one myself. Very happy with it. The VTX and Cam don't need to be paired together you can use any VTX and any camera but when you buy combo cam/VTX setups it comes with all the connectors ready to go so you don't need to solder your own together. Nice for a beginner.

So that's ~$150 or so and you've got a camera/transmitter AND LCD screen with built in RX that will receive the video. So you'll be staring at this screen not wearing a headset which will allow you to pop between LOS flying and FPV. Later on when you decide to invest more and buy a nice pair of Fatsharks you still have this cool little screen you can hand to a friend so they can see what you're seeing in your goggles.

EDIT: Yeah my Runcam Swift is 150 deg apparently and I like that FOV.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 5, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have 150°, you get used to it. The ability to see more of your surroundings is a big advantage when negotiating tight courses or doing acro in cramped places.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Add camera, VRX, antennas and lipos, even a budget setup is ~$200.

As for size vs durability: The large it is, the easier it'll break. A sub-200mm size will be extremely durable if built right. Smaller ones are *much* harder to do LOS, though.

I assumed by kit he meant one of the arf models that have the transmitting end covered in the box ( the new quanum goggles should have everything but rhcp antennae, you can get a pair of aomway for $20 though)

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Tiny whoop hype! This is great fun, terrifies the cats though.

Also here's my current mini size build, just waiting for some parts to arrive from China before finishing it off. KISS FC, KISS 24A ESC, Red rotor OSD/PDB, EMAX RS2205 'red bottom' motors Frame is a TSX220.

Coming together very neatly at the moment. Need to find somewhere tidy to mount the buzzer once I know how the rest of the parts will fit in.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

So I've finally got my Diatone ET200 flying after a year of procrastinated build and testing. It's my first quad and on the maiden flight it took off real fast, was hard to hover and drifted.

Assuming the second issue is down to trimming? As for the rapid lift off - is that a throttle range issue or have I just built a quad with a stupidly high thrust to weight ratio? Or am I just a noob that needs to learn to fly?

Specs:
AfroFlight Naze32 r5 (running latest stable Baseflight)
AfroEsc 20a (running latest BLHeli, Oneshot 125 enabled, Damped light motors in reverse because I wired them up in reverse!)
DYS BE1806 2300KV motors
Turnigy TGY-i6 TX+RX (firmware upgraded to 10 channel) using IBUS to the FC
Diatone 5060 props

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Jamsta posted:

So I've finally got my Diatone ET200 flying after a year of procrastinated build and testing. It's my first quad and on the maiden flight it took off real fast, was hard to hover and drifted.

Assuming the second issue is down to trimming? As for the rapid lift off - is that a throttle range issue or have I just built a quad with a stupidly high thrust to weight ratio? Or am I just a noob that needs to learn to fly?

Specs:
AfroFlight Naze32 r5 (running latest stable Baseflight)
AfroEsc 20a (running latest BLHeli, Oneshot 125 enabled, Damped light motors in reverse because I wired them up in reverse!)
DYS BE1806 2300KV motors
Turnigy TGY-i6 TX+RX (firmware upgraded to 10 channel) using IBUS to the FC
Diatone 5060 props

Make sure your receiver signals are all at 1500 within beta flight around center (besides throttle obvs).

Assuming you are in angle mode, do an accelerometer calibration either through beta flight or with stick commands, making sure you are dead nuts level.

Do a gyro calibration right before you take off. I think this is still initiated with full up elevator, zero throttle, and full left rudder when unarmed.

Try flying in angle mode at first (this will self level). But in general, since there is no GPS or optical flow sensing, you will need to give constant inputs to keep it hovering in one place. And these things are powerful enough to take off really quickly. You will need constant inputs to hover.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
You might also have the min_throttle set too high as well, the default almost always is. Remove the props, and connect to cleanflight while powered on. Use the motors tab to manually control them using the sliders, and find what the lowest value is that still gets them all to consistently spin up. Set the min_throttle to just above that number.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Some good suggestions, thanks. Will try them tonight!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
lol at the ama continuing to pretend special rule 336 exemptions apply only to them.

http://www.dontflystupid.org/ (the one good thing that has come out of rcgroups advocacy subforum)

Slash posted:

Also here's my current mini size build, just waiting for some parts to arrive from China before finishing it off. KISS FC, KISS 24A ESC, Red rotor OSD/PDB, EMAX RS2205 'red bottom' motors Frame is a TSX220.

Coming together very neatly at the moment. Need to find somewhere tidy to mount the buzzer once I know how the rest of the parts will fit in.

the flight controller as part of the structure is bad and I don't like it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

the flight controller as part of the structure is bad and I don't like it :colbert:

It's normal on X-frames.