Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Nice to see some old slang re-entering the culture. My mom uses the term "getting lit" for getting drunk, but she's in her 70s, and that's apparently what they called it 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
holy fuckin shi

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
hmm didn't expect to see purple drank at a microsoft party.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ccs posted:

Nice to see some old slang re-entering the culture. My mom uses the term "getting lit" for getting drunk, but she's in her 70s, and that's apparently what they called it 50 years ago.

The word Hippies comes from the old 1940s term Hipster. It meant the same relative thing back then as it does now.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
That is unfortunately all too common in tech recruitment these days.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Quandary posted:

That is unfortunately all too common in tech recruitment these days.
MS, especially, is that Steve Buscemi screen cap with the skateboard and hat going "What up my young homies".

Kind of weird knowing that Apple and MS were the bad boy hipster GenX corporate counterculture startups once upon a time.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
What is a bigger pivot: the screen play for the Elizabeth Holmes biopic or what Trump needs to do to win the General?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

duz posted:

The word Hippies comes from the old 1940s term Hipster. It meant the same relative thing back then as it does now.

I thought it was the other way around at that point, Hipsters then were the "real" thing, it was the people emulating them in the 60s that were called Hippies because they weren't authentic enough to be Hipsters.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hobnob posted:

I thought it was the other way around at that point, Hipsters then were the "real" thing, it was the people emulating them in the 60s that were called Hippies because they weren't authentic enough to be Hipsters.

the word means similar things, except there never were enough hipsters of the beatnik era to attract more widespread disdain. hippies were everywhere in the 60's so they were a more visible target and more broadly disliked for doing largely the same things just in a cruder, mass culture manner. this trend continues and it's why everyone hates hipsters nowadays although nobody can really determine what a hipster is beyond twentysomething probably white kid

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

MS, especially, is that Steve Buscemi screen cap with the skateboard and hat going "What up my young homies".

Kind of weird knowing that Apple and MS were the bad boy hipster GenX corporate counterculture startups once upon a time.

Lol they would institute the 1984 that jobs created in that commercial given the chance

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

FilthyImp posted:

Apple corporatized extremely quickly despite the image presented by SJ and the Mac team.

They were rebelling against the corporate structure with the pirate flag, not the rest of the industry. And barely five years after the company's founding.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

Apple corporatized extremely quickly despite the image presented by SJ and the Mac team.

They were rebelling against the corporate structure with the pirate flag, not the rest of the industry. And barely five years after the company's founding.

Who cares they're new capitalists or old, not much distinction

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the word means similar things, except there never were enough hipsters of the beatnik era to attract more widespread disdain. hippies were everywhere in the 60's so they were a more visible target and more broadly disliked for doing largely the same things just in a cruder, mass culture manner. this trend continues and it's why everyone hates hipsters nowadays although nobody can really determine what a hipster is beyond twentysomething probably white kid

You are acting like 20-something white guys aren't automatically something worth scorning

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Byolante posted:

You are acting like 20-something white guys aren't automatically something worth scorning

You must be a blast at parties

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Byolante posted:

you're forgetting white women are also really bad

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Everybody is kind of lovely on some way when they're young and stupid.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Byolante posted:

I think this might be a good idea for the bases of an APP that will shift the paradigm of young white male awfulness we can call it Yitere

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is it time for the Butlerian Jihad yet?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Theranos

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-regulator-bans-theranos-ceo-elizabeth-holmes-from-operating-labs-for-two-years-1467956064

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

New York Times on Elizabeth Holmes being barred from running a lab:

quote:

United States regulators have banned Elizabeth Holmes, the chief executive of Theranos, from owning or operating a medical laboratory for at least two years, in a major setback for the embattled blood-testing start-up and its once widely lauded founder.

In a statement late Thursday, Theranos said the regulators revoked the certification of its Newark, Calif., laboratory and prohibited the laboratory from taking Medicare and Medicaid payments for its services. Regulators also levied a monetary penalty that Theranos did not specify. The sanctions take effect in 60 days, Theranos said.

Theranos represents the promise and the pitfalls of the start-up era, as money floods into young companies with new technologies in an effort to find a “unicorn” — a billion-dollar business that transforms its industry and makes its backers rich in the process. The high-profile start-up rose to prominence on the promise that it could detect health ailments by testing blood drawn cheaply by the mere prick of a finger.

The government scrutiny stemmed from questions about the effectiveness of Theranos’s technology and the way it operates its labs. Authorities who reviewed its practices last year found that all 81 patient results they inspected were inaccurate in a test of blood clotting administered from April to September on patients who take the blood thinner warfarin.

What Theranos and Ms. Holmes will do next is not clear. Lab operators have the right to appeal a canceled certification. Reached via email, an outside spokesman for the company declined to comment.

“We accept full responsibility for the issues at our laboratory in Newark, Calif., and have already worked to undertake comprehensive remedial actions,” Ms. Holmes said in a statement.

Inaccurate warfarin clotting results can kill you.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Arsenic Lupin posted:

New York Times on Elizabeth Holmes being barred from running a lab:

Inaccurate warfarin clotting results can kill you.

Good. The entire premise of that company was stupid and now that it has become clear that they couldn't be bothered to execute that stupid premise correctly, it is obvious it is dangerous and should be destroyed and people like Holmes maybe jailed.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Well poo poo, looks like they're going to be doing a movie on Theranos' downfall

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/06/jennifer-lawrence-theranos-elizabeth-holmes

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Lost a bit in the implosion of Theranos is the legislation they helped write and push through in Arizona. Basically, they made it so that there did not have to be a doctor's order to get lab testing, allowing direct to consumer laboratory results. Their big expansion plan there was to partner with a grocery chain and get Theranos clinics in store. They were already partnering with Walgreen's there to provide testing for their Minute Clinics. They are still going to keep their testing labs in Arizona open despite the sanctions but will not be going the grocery store route. There are different regulations in California so their Cali labs are all shutting down.

One of the biggest lab companies in AZ was SonoraQuest (I'm guessing a division of the national lab company Quest) who actually opposed the legislation, reasoning that they did not want consumers interpreting their results without the guidance of a medical professional. Well it turns out lots of people do want to go get labs on their own, so now SonoraQuest is offering a direct to consumer option as well. Disruption!

As someone who works in healthcare I find the direct to consumer model for things like labs troubling. There is actually a bit of an art and science to interpreting some results. Take thyroid hormone levels for example. The cut off for normal and abnormal is based on population sampling with the 95th and 5th percentile results marking the border between high and low levels. So there is a chance that your hormone levels are flagged as low but you just happen to fall into the 4th percentile normally. Recent severe illness can also make your levels fluctuate. You have to take all the patient's symptoms as well as labs together to get a clear picture of what is really going on.

That's just thyroid testing, now imagine people being able to get their own Lyme titers, or genetic testing which is it's own ethical and legal dilemma. In the effort to always be disrupting and turning a profit some of these healthcare start ups are opening a Pandora's box of unintended consequences.

tl;dr: There's a reason healthcare is heavily regulated.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It doesn't really matter if they can still sell direct to consumer. Getting banned from Medicare and Medicaid is a death sentence to a blood testing company. Just ask Health Diagnostic Laboratories.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

It doesn't really matter if they can still sell direct to consumer. Getting banned from Medicare and Medicaid is a death sentence to a blood testing company. Just ask Health Diagnostic Laboratories.

CMS has only handed the sanction to Elizabeth Holmes herself so as long as she isn't at the company they can still take Medicare and Medicaid in AZ. They specifically shut down the California lab and revoked most of it's CLIA certifications, leaving the Arizona lab alone. The company is now appealing that decision and has a "plan of correction."

But yeah, if you get reamed by CMS/OIG/joint commission, etc you're pretty much screwed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

No, the Medicare payment sanction includes Theranos Inc, and the Arizona lab would also be banned from performing any testing:

quote:

Although Holmes faces a ban from the lab business, the statement said Theranos plans to "continue to carry out its mission under the leadership of its founder and CEO, Elizabeth Holmes."

Working to avoid the loss of its California lab certificate appears to be critical for Theranos. All patient samples collected at Theranos' testing centers in Arizona are now sent to Theranos' lab in Scottsdale, but the Arizona lab would shut down, too, for a minimum of two years, once the California lab's certificate is revoked.

"That means the Arizona lab would cease to operate," Theranos' statement said.

The NYTimes has the actual sanction letter:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/08/business/document-Theranos-Sanctions-Letter.html

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

No, the Medicare payment sanction includes Theranos Inc, and the Arizona lab would also be banned from performing any testing:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/08/business/document-Theranos-Sanctions-Letter.html

Ah I misread a press report by the company itself. Interestingly the sanctions do not go into effect for 60 days so they are still processing samples. It appears they will also appeal the decision but I doubt it will go anywhere.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

nowhinezone posted:

Ah I misread a press report by the company itself. Interestingly the sanctions do not go into effect for 60 days so they are still processing samples. It appears they will also appeal the decision but I doubt it will go anywhere.

I believe the appeals process is basically just a "Is this punishment appropriate?" question and doesn't allow Theranos to submit a corrective plan. The time for that was back in February when CMS said they were going to drop the hammer.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah, I don't see how it can survive this.

My only comment is that letters of this nature and magnitude should be sent via singing telegram.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Yeah, I don't see how it can survive this.

My only comment is that letters of this nature and magnitude should be sent via singing telegram.

By a man in a chicken suit?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Pink twerking hiphop gorilla

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

e_angst posted:

Yes, the best way to fix things is to harbor intense jealousy at anyone who has more than you, and to villainize them at every turn. Ignore their conditions and ignore what motivates them to do what they do, because they have money (or at least valuable assets) and therefor gently caress them!

uh yeah?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of an old timey barbershop quartet, so they can divide the various sanctions and violations up by vocal range or maybe do it to the tune of "Goodbye my Coney Island Baby"

Adventure Pigeon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 10, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Adventure Pigeon posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of an old timey barbershop quartet, so they can divide the various sanctions and violations up by vocal range or maybe do it to the tune of "Goodbye my Coney Island Baby"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyl0YotL-7Q

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's be honest LinkedIn kind of sucks. I got zero interviews thanks to it and most of the job postings seemed to be "you are required to be bill Gates and also a unicorm."

Preferential hiring for otherkin.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'll let Theranos' response to the findings speak for itself.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that august 1st presentation, and the response thereafter will likely be peak bubble 2.0 schadenfreude.

i am absolutely buzzing with anticipation.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Some dumbass Yelp executive fell into the grand Canyon. Guess she'll never be the head of a major corporation

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Seems a little mean-spirited and lacking perspective and also she was just like a regional manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Grand Canyon will definitely be getting a bad review