Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Germstore posted:

I did not know there was a Voyager episode with The Rock. I will not watch it because I'm sure my imagination can do a better job. I am currently imaging the warp core getting rock bottomed and having to be ejected as a result.

Yeah. I just saw it recently and lemmie just say it's best to just leave it to your imagination.

Voyager is all about disappointment and wasting good opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

The Adventures of Pete and Pete.

you monster

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. I just saw it recently and lemmie just say it's best to just leave it to your imagination.

Voyager is all about disappointment and wasting good opportunities.

Yeah, like he fights Jerry Ryan, and loses or something which is straight bullshit, especially since there's no way she could withstand the People's Elbow even with borg poo poo

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, like he fights Jerry Ryan, and loses or something which is straight bullshit, especially since there's no way she could withstand the People's Elbow even with borg poo poo

Maybe she just got up while he was dancing around and showboating before actually dropping it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Maybe she just got up while he was dancing around and showboating before actually dropping it?

The only thing that could finish the Rock anyway was the Mandible Claw, and she certainly didn't have that

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
let alone a Mr. Socko, which I think is really the only reason the Mandible Claw was effective.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Wrestling isn't real :ssh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But neither is Star Trek?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

oldpainless posted:

But neither is Star Trek?

Shut up, it just hasn't happened yet

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing that could finish the Rock anyway was the Mandible Claw, and she certainly didn't have that

The borg inject nanites into people with what is, let's be honest, just a much sharper mandible claw.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Can I use this logic for things like, wrasslin, and sex?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If wrestling wasn't fake, it would be really boring. It would just be two guys on the ground hugging. They realized this early on and pro wrestling is like a weird form of semi-improv athletic stuntman theatre rather than being a sport. There's a lot of cool moves that if you did them for "real", you'd wind up killing or paralyzing people. It actually takes skill and teamwork between the wrestlers to make sure they don't actually kill each other. The end goal is to make it look convincing without actually putting the other guy into the hospital, although they sometimes gently caress up and it happens.

Truly great wrestlers like the Rock and Stone Cold also need charisma and acting chops. There are a bunch that are indeed borderline retarded meatheads who can't speak coherently but nobody actually likes them except for Vince McMahon. This is why everyone hates Roman Reigns.

tl;dr I spent too many words explain' wrasslin' to the gibbis

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 7, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The new series should have The Iron Sheik as part of the main cast.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Nah, just make it a remake of The Wrestler, in the Star Trek universe, stretched out to 26 episodes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
how could they possibly make Space Wrasslin' With The Rock boring

how

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Monkey Fracas posted:

how

Voyager

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
In the days before the founding of the federation a colony ship of black nova scotians answer a distress call, but end up stranded on a nearby planet. A few years later a samoan colony ship answers the same distress call and end up on the same planet. Their libraries are severely damaged. The only record of earth culture is late 20th century professional wrestling broadcasts...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

how

Voyager

Voyager has an uncanny ability to take things that could potentially be great and instead piss away opportunities and make them as underwhelming as possible. It's like the overarching philosophy of the series. "Nope, that's a good idea, we need to make it lamer."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Voyager is a beige void that consumes most good ideas and makes them boring

you could say it "assimilates" fun or interesting ideas and renders them boring like if the Borg were instead a bad TV show from the 90s

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rick Berman was personally appointed by Roddenberry, right? So that he could uphold his "vision", right?

I think if Gene Roddenberry were still alive and was the showrunner of Voyager, it would probably be roughly the same. In other words, it would be like Season 1 of TNG, but for the entire show. Like it actually turned out to be.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Roddenberry probably would have loved Voyager, specially post-7 of 9 voyager, and hated DS9.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The Eugenics Wars of 1992 just haven't had happened yet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
VOY was the IBM of the SciFi industry. Boring cookie cutter poo poo that just missed great opportunities. But it got the job done by gum.

Roddenberry wouldn't have greenlight VOY because a major foundation of that was Fed v Maquis tensions. Even so, I think he would have pushed for Kes to be more Childlike, B'elanna to be more tempestuous (oooh maybe we can have a horny Klingon episode like maybe Klingon mating blood fire!), Paris to be even more of a Ryker ripoff and The Doc to experience more holobigotry (even decompiling his program at one point) because why not.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of a Star Trek show with The Iron Sheik as the captain.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wrestling isn't real :ssh:

In one of those alternate universes Worf visited wrestling was real! Multiverse theory means everything is/was/will be real.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I remember reading that the DS9 crew thought they would never get away with having a protracted war with the Dominion so they had to flat out lie about how long it would last. Berman and company were too busy making Voyager to know or care.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trast posted:

I remember reading that the DS9 crew thought they would never get away with having a protracted war with the Dominion so they had to flat out lie about how long it would last. Berman and company were too busy making Voyager to know or care.

So were they still technically in charge of ds9 while they were doing voyager? I'm always interested in the behind the scenes stuff as it seems like there were some fiercely opposed camps involved in trek.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

DOMDOM posted:

you monster

No I love Pete and Pete, and grew up waiting for new episodes to air. I was just trying to think of two oddball examples.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Holy poo poo this is my second time ever watching Enterprise and season 3 is amazingly good. There are a few stinker episode but they mostly all move the plot forward and are 'good' Trek.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

criscodisco posted:

No I love Pete and Pete, and grew up waiting for new episodes to air. I was just trying to think of two oddball examples.

The worst part of Pete and Pete is that the DVDs for Season 3 are in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust due to right's issues or some other stupid poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tectonis posted:

Holy poo poo this is my second time ever watching Enterprise and season 3 is amazingly good. There are a few stinker episode but they mostly all move the plot forward and are 'good' Trek.

This isn't the good trek thread

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

In order to appreciate bad trek we must recognize good trek. :vulcan:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Iron Crowned posted:

The worst part of Pete and Pete is that the DVDs for Season 3 are in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust due to right's issues or some other stupid poo poo.

I know it's out there in the form of :filez:, but they're pretty lousy quality. It's a shame because it's one of the few shows I loved as a kid and still enjoy as an old man.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Iron Crowned posted:

Yes it is, look at the thread title

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Juuuust got to the Borg Stuff in Voyager and I hope it picks up a little at least

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Juuuust got to the Borg Stuff in Voyager and I hope it picks up a little at least

picks up a turd and eats it, more like

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Syrnn posted:

Not to belabour the Tarantino foot thing, but people totally missed pointing out that someone who worked on Trek circa TNG all the way up to Voyager clearly had a foot thing going on too. My wife has one form of Trek or another on for background noise daily just around the office or house, and we both zeroed in on it after our second or third pass of TNG: the Space Irish lady who uses foot washing as a pretense to get Riker's Lower Beard, the incredibly rapey half-Betazoid Lloyd Braun who insists on oiling Deanna's feet ("Don't do that, don't do Counsellor Troy"), Kes needing foot massages to properly give birth, and I'm sure half a dozen other instances of this that pop up throughout the series. I'm putting my money on Berman, but my wife suspects Ira Steven Behr. :iiam:

Berman's the only constant throughout all those examples. Behr wasn't even on the show on TNG Season 2, and I don't think he ever worked on Voyager either.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
In the next jj movie Sulu is going to have gay sex

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Monkey Fracas posted:

You get to watch Jeri Ryan slink around in a skintight catsuit. So if you're into women, that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

picks up a turd and eats it, more like

Eats it with enthusiasm.