Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

This is a problem of BHA being an adventure story where the heroes inevitably win. From a narrative perspective of course it'll work out alright because it's a story about hero kids taking heroic risks. From the perspective of the characters it's a bunch of stupid teenagers in training to become licensed professional troubleshooters doing something extraordinarily stupid and dangerous and interfering with a professional operation. In the event they lucked out and got away with Bakugou, but they could very easily have got the top quarter of the UA freshman class killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Peel posted:

This is a problem of BHA being an adventure story where the heroes inevitably win. From a narrative perspective of course it'll work out alright because it's a story about hero kids taking heroic risks. From the perspective of the characters it's a bunch of stupid teenagers in training to become licensed professional troubleshooters doing something extraordinarily stupid and dangerous and interfering with a professional operation. In the event they lucked out and got away with Bakugou, but they could very easily have got the top quarter of the UA freshman class killed.

See, I see it more as a moral allegory. Like, 'heroes always 'win'(because doing the right thing is winning) but All Might is near death (he still only has 6 months, right?), Aizawa got brutally beat up, etc...there's a lot of problems. It's interesting, but it's also inspiring. I get what you mean, but like 'aspiring to be good' is so 'uncool' that a dork like All Might is super amazing.

Basically it's the Japanese school experience taken to fantastical levels, with a very deep undercurrent of 'being good is actually cool, don't be fooled.'...and I think that's the value in the series, versus a literal interpretation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Peel posted:

Huh I just realized that Momo, Iida, Bakugo, Izuku, and Todoroki are the top 5 students in the class, so yes the top quarter could have died easily.

Space-Bird posted:

but All Might is near death (he still only has 6 months, right?)

All Might does not have a time limit on his life. He can't use his power anymore, but his life does not appear to be in any danger currently.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I feel like asking a hotshot group of young up and coming rescue professionals to sit and wait while one of their team needs rescued is just a flawed way of going about things but on the other hand the fact that their might be a spy among them means that you can't give them information or it might leak and ruin everything.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I dunno. Think about the whole rescue operation. That was a covert operation reliant on careful planning and organisation. You don't want loose cannons in the police, especially not special armed police. One of the themes of BHA is that 'heroes' the institution is distinct from 'heroism' the concept, but the institution's perspective on what the kids did makes sense.

Deku's suicidal compulsion to heroism isn't an unambiguously good character trait and the wreckage of his arms speaks to that. It's just, it's the trait he has, so he doesn't have a choice but to become a hero and try to live up to its possibilities.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Peel posted:

I dunno. Think about the whole rescue operation. That was a covert operation reliant on careful planning and organisation. You don't want loose cannons in the police, especially not special armed police. One of the themes of BHA is that 'heroes' the institution is distinct from 'heroism' the concept, but the institution's perspective on what the kids did makes sense.

Deku's suicidal compulsion to heroism isn't an unambiguously good character trait and the wreckage of his arms speaks to that. It's just, it's the trait he has, so he doesn't have a choice but to become a hero and try to live up to its possibilities.

but heroes aren't police. Police don't have to make money of product placements and name recognition. every other facet of school life is pulling them in different directions

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I watched the last episodes of the anime the other day and in one of the scenes where Aizawa is beating the crap outta random mooks I could swear one of them looked like the baby from Eraserhead.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

MonsterEnvy posted:

All Might does not have a time limit on his life. He can't use his power anymore, but his life does not appear to be in any danger currently.

Thanks I was just about to ask about this.

Fabricated posted:

Also: Holy poo poo Tokoyami is insanely chuuni and it is hilarious. Also Midoriya's fanboy levels cannot possibly be contained.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i thought he already saw mido's room during the home visit tho

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I liked that Deku thought Tokoyami's room was super cool.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jintor posted:

i thought he already saw mido's room during the home visit tho

Nope, he just saw a few pieces of All Might memorabilia in the Izuku living room and that's nothing compared to Deku's room.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think Aizawa gets a lot of poo poo for his speech and it wasn't especially all that great, but after having seen the anime I recently got reminded of how much poo poo that guy actually goes through for his students. Consider how we're introduced to the man, how he leaps heroically into the fray to protect his students and all he receives is a bunch of pain, blasted elbow to shreds, eye-sockets were broken and no gratefulness from the media or even his own students. I think the guy is entitled to blow off a little steam, he's gone through more than any teacher I know of.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

Nope, he just saw a few pieces of All Might memorabilia in the Izuku living room and that's nothing compared to Deku's room.

Nah, I'm pretty sure he peaked into Deku's room too.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Rhonne posted:

I liked that Deku thought Tokoyami's room was super cool.
He was mostly focusing on what totally looked like a Master Sword replica, but yeah. None of the boys really knocked into his taste overall.

The funniest part was him blocking the door tho.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Aizawa's speech is super necessary because there needs to be a reality check for the students. The students have kind of slowly been getting used to repeatedly disregarding all orders to the contrary and putting themselves in terrible danger while separating themselves from the protection of the adults who are supposed to be their guardians and getting away with it with little slaps on the wrist, and it's really not a good thing; Deku is the obvious guilty party here, but several others like Iida and Todoroki have sort of become accustomed to going "Yeah we were told to keep our heads down and shut up here but we're HEROES so let's go help out!" like they did against Stain. Everything has worked out so far through a combination of luck and pluck on the part of the kids, but it's really, really easy for one of them to get terribly hurt or killed doing the stuff they're doing. Aizawa doesn't want to see that happen on multiple levels; aside from the tragedy of a kid getting hurt or killed, it would also be disastrous for UA, potentially disastrous for hero society in general due to the turbulence of All Might's retirement, and it would be crushing for him on a personal level because like Mordaelil mentioned, Aizawa has bled more for his students than anyone, even All Might. He obviously cares for them deeply.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kyte posted:

The funniest part was him blocking the door tho.

I found the funniest part was him shaking because he knew how much of an edgelord his room makes him look, even though it's just what he's most comfortable in.

You just know the guy plays Overwatch as Reaper.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't be super surprised if Aizawa was the traitor.
Not sure why, just a feeling.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Aizawa's speech is super necessary because there needs to be a reality check for the students. The students have kind of slowly been getting used to repeatedly disregarding all orders to the contrary and putting themselves in terrible danger while separating themselves from the protection of the adults who are supposed to be their guardians and getting away with it with little slaps on the wrist, and it's really not a good thing; Deku is the obvious guilty party here, but several others like Iida and Todoroki have sort of become accustomed to going "Yeah we were told to keep our heads down and shut up here but we're HEROES so let's go help out!" like they did against Stain. Everything has worked out so far through a combination of luck and pluck on the part of the kids, but it's really, really easy for one of them to get terribly hurt or killed doing the stuff they're doing. Aizawa doesn't want to see that happen on multiple levels; aside from the tragedy of a kid getting hurt or killed, it would also be disastrous for UA, potentially disastrous for hero society in general due to the turbulence of All Might's retirement, and it would be crushing for him on a personal level because like Mordaelil mentioned, Aizawa has bled more for his students than anyone, even All Might. He obviously cares for them deeply.

Yeah, like, for all the failures and setbacks, Shigaraki's actions have dramatically shaken hero society. He and the VA have managed to lose every battle while still winning the war, and a student actually dying would probably cement their victory. The camp attack already caused a lot of trouble despite no students (except, of course, Deku) actually suffering lasting damage as far as we know, because, well, a bunch of villains attacking a school and hospitalizing and kidnapping students is a big deal.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I wouldn't be super surprised if Aizawa was the traitor.
Not sure why, just a feeling.

this panel in particular

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope the traitor isn't a teacher, it'd be more interesting if it was a student.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was me

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
it might be mineta his room might be a giant trap for the heroes and not some hilarious gag like it so seems and he could be mind controlled too IDK

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not someone in 1A or if it is, it is someone who don't think much of everyone else, otherwise the students would have been teleported into places where their quircks wouldn't perhaps have been so strong.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Have you ever seen Hagakure and Shigaraki in the same room at the same time? Didn't think so

Jintor
May 19, 2014

still think it's a villain quirk we don't know about

i don't think i've seen a mole arc where there wasn't actually a mole before, so that'd be nice

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hate when people collectively punish groups. I think expelling the five that went is totally understandable but what could the others really do to stop the most powerful kids in the class if they were dead-set on going which they were? I guess they could have narced on them to the teachers but it's been a while since I read that chapter and I can't remember if they were even sure there was a kidzclub rescue operation at all.

I like pretty much all the teachers and students so I'm going to be a little sad no matter who it turns out to be. I kinda hope it doesn't end up with a "haha you were under my control all along and didn't even know" cop out thought. Whoever it is needs to be sincere.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he peaked into Deku's room too.

Here's the sequence:

It's a little ambiguous but I interpret it as those things being in their living room because the dialog doesn't mention looking at Deku's room just being in their home, that wouldn't be customary, and it doesn't show all the memorabilia just a few posters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Radish posted:

I like pretty much all the teachers and students so I'm going to be a little sad no matter who it turns out to be. I kinda hope it doesn't end up with a "haha you were under my control all along and didn't even know" cop out thought. Whoever it is needs to be sincere.
If there is a traitor it needs to be someone who it will really hurt to see as a traitor. As long as their motivation makes sense the more it hurts the better.

I'll be annoyed if it's some literally who character.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's an Orient Express situation. Everyone but Deku is the traitor.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I have an inexplicable feeling the traitor's gonna be a literally who.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The traitor is totally Ojiro. No one can be than...normal without hiding something!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Focusing so much on a theorical traitor when there are virtually infinite possibilities for the information to leak via a quirk still irks me.

Either way, it was a fantastic chapter and I, too, hope we stay in SoL territory for a little bit.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

It looks like I'm not the only person who thinks All Might still had a separate muscle form before his injury:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jewel Repetition posted:

Here's the sequence:

It's a little ambiguous but I interpret it as those things being in their living room because the dialog doesn't mention looking at Deku's room just being in their home, that wouldn't be customary, and it doesn't show all the memorabilia just a few posters.

I really want that fuckin all might reaction as an av

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Baal posted:

Yo

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Baal posted:

That whole chapter was really good for Small Might having actual expressions and facially conveying emotion. I really liked that aspect.

Also, Tokoyami trying to block his door was my favorite bit this time around.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tokoyami somehow just keeps getting better

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm actually kind of surprised that Toyokami's room is as dark as it is, with the blackout curtains and stuff.

I'm also surprised that he doesn't carry like, emergency flashbangs around in case something like the training camp happens again, but :shonenmanga:.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that Toyokami's room is as dark as it is, with the blackout curtains and stuff.

I'm also surprised that he doesn't carry like, emergency flashbangs around in case something like the training camp happens again, but :shonenmanga:.

It's all a part of his training!

I love that he's basically a chuuni but actually has legit reasons to be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Tokoyami is straight up that "i can be your angle, or yuor devil" meme.... he's an emo kid, but with a twist (heart of gold and stand up guy), and I love him for it.