Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
McMurphy is also not the narrator, so anything resembling an opinion about him (and Ratched, honestly) has to be filtered through the Chief, who has legitimate mental issues. His paranoid delusions about an all-controlling state might incline him to think more favorably about a guy who seems to be a rebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

the_homemaster posted:

But...it's not funny.

wrong opinion spotted

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
It's not funny, it's certainly not clever, but it is competently written, in terms of dialect and a certain vibrancy.

If someone can explain how it is funny and clever that'd be great. So far all I've read is a boring plot with annoying characters, an awful protagonist and what is probably an autobiographical account.

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 8, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

the_homemaster posted:

It's not funny, it's certainly not clever, but it is competently written, in terms of dialect and a certain vibrancy.
You said this on the last page in fewer words.

e:

the_homemaster posted:

If someone can explain how it is funny and clever that'd be great. So far all I've read is a boring plot with annoying characters, an awful protagonist and what is probably an autobiographical account.

Thanks for the edit.

edit 2 because I am being horribly trolled:

The book isn't even slightly autobiographical, at least if we're comparing Ignatius's outward life to John's. JKT himself was extraordinarily successful and social up until the rejection of his novel. He taught English in the Army and was a professor at the University of Louisiana, which rejected Ignatius in the book. To the extent that Confederacy touches realistically and maybe autobiographically on the relationship between a dominant single mother and her grown son, it serves the story and the humor rather than wallowing in the author's inner feelings and grievances. This is just one piece of information you could have gotten by typing the words "A Confederacy of Dunces" into Google and reading one of the top 10 results. You also would have discovered why many people find it funny, gripping, and sympathetic.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 8, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Has anyone else ever read Richard Powers? He is one of my favorite authors and its interesting because his writing is probably the closest I have ever seen to the big red line between sci fi and literature.

Like, if you take what sci fi fans say sci fi is, Richard Powers absolutely does it, but he does it in a way that is a lot more subtle than a lot of those authors. His books are all about the influences of science and technology on the human experience, but often in a way that is considerably less grandiose.

Three Farmers on their Way to a Dance is a good example. Its about how the explosive growth of technology during modernization was both the best and worst thing to happen to a group of German farmers on the eve of WWI. The Gold Bug Variations uses the cracking of the human genetic code to meditate on our obsession with legacy. Its the best reflection on the philosophy of science in literary form I have ever seen.

Thanks fam, this looks perfect.

You should check out Arcadia.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

A lot of people I know love/revere that book and talk about how they laugh their asses off at it, but I always found Ignatius to be such a grating character that I only got through about half the book.

sometimes books have characters you're not supposed to like

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Officer Sandvich posted:

sometimes books have characters you're not supposed to like

No poo poo, Sherlock, but sometimes characters actively annoy you, so you stop spending time with them.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Has anyone else ever read Richard Powers? He is one of my favorite authors and its interesting because his writing is probably the closest I have ever seen to the big red line between sci fi and literature.

Like, if you take what sci fi fans say sci fi is, Richard Powers absolutely does it, but he does it in a way that is a lot more subtle than a lot of those authors. His books are all about the influences of science and technology on the human experience, but often in a way that is considerably less grandiose.

Three Farmers on their Way to a Dance is a good example. Its about how the explosive growth of technology during modernization was both the best and worst thing to happen to a group of German farmers on the eve of WWI. The Gold Bug Variations uses the cracking of the human genetic code to meditate on our obsession with legacy. Its the best reflection on the philosophy of science in literary form I have ever seen.

Have read, ah, Generosity, The Echo Maker, and I think one more but I can't remember which. It wasn't GBV though, I've been wanting to get that one for years.

Big fan of Powers. I agree that he's writing sci-fi in the strictly-understood sense, and manages to sneak it by you without you noticing.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

No poo poo, Sherlock, but sometimes characters actively annoy you, so you stop spending time with them.

stretch yourself

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

"Filth!" Ignatius shouted, spewing wet popcorn over several rows. "How dare she pretend to be a virgin. Look at her degenerate face. Rape her!"

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Someone post an excerpt from the part where Ignatius is jive-talking medieval theology to a room full of black factory workers tia

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

the_homemaster posted:

I hope you can appreciate the fundamental issue with explaining why something is funny

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
(because it's not funny)

Now, Submission is funny. True irony.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hope you can appreciate the fundamental issue with explaining why something is funny

People who don't get jokes never appreciate this issue.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

A human heart posted:

"Filth!" Ignatius shouted, spewing wet popcorn over several rows. "How dare she pretend to be a virgin. Look at her degenerate face. Rape her!"

This is gross, not funny.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

the_homemaster posted:

It's the juxtaposition of contradictory elements leading to an unexpected conclusion. Pretty much the textbook definition of humor.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

the_homemaster posted:

But...it's not funny.

the_homemaster posted:

(because it's not funny)

Now, Submission is funny. True irony.

the_homemaster posted:

the_homemaster posted:

You've finally convinced me by saying "this isn't funny" four times without elaboration. I will stop giggling. I am starting to see, though, why the super-serious bloviating turd character might have touched a nerve.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 8, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Tbf I couldn't finish Catcher in the Rye cuz holden was such a little poo poo but I was a teenager at the time so maybe now I could give it a more discerning read

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

It's funny because it's gross my man

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Cloks posted:

It's the juxtaposition of contradictory elements leading to an unexpected conclusion. Pretty much the textbook definition of humor.

Oh right I get it now, cheers.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

mdemone posted:

Have read, ah, Generosity, The Echo Maker, and I think one more but I can't remember which. It wasn't GBV though, I've been wanting to get that one for years.

Big fan of Powers. I agree that he's writing sci-fi in the strictly-understood sense, and manages to sneak it by you without you noticing.

So where do I start on Richard Powers? I looked up all his books and it seems like Plowing the Dark and The Time of Our Singing interest me the most conceptually.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Solitair posted:

So where do I start on Richard Powers? I looked up all his books and it seems like Plowing the Dark and The Time of Our Singing interest me the most conceptually.

The Echo Maker is the best imho. Not just his best book, genuinely one of the masterpieces of 21st century American Lit.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 8, 2016

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I looked up Powers and think I might start with Orfeo, but that's because I saw there's a huge playlist of songs referenced in the book and I found that intriguing.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
I went to the bookshop and all they had was Prisoners Dilemma.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Plowing The Dark! That's the one I forgot. It was very good too, but as Mel said, Echo Maker is better. It won the National Book Award, which is usually a solid award.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly, I don't mind people recommending stuff like this to me because I am always looking to expand. And honestly, I did suggest some openness to it in the Vegetarian thread. It's when people act like their wizard books are better than what I am reading and I should read it right away that I get annoyed.

Thanks, I will take a peak

Dude, you just have to open your mind and the epiphany will come. Or something.

I noted your recommendation for Year of the Runaways in the botm thread and remembered I'd got it for my birthday. I hadn't thought much of it until you talked of its resonance with current political discourse in the UK (ha!). Now I've got the elf wizards out of the way, this is next up - I hope it's as good as you say.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

knees of putty posted:

. Now I've got the elf wizards out of the way, this is next up - I hope it's as good as you say.

I actually haven't read it yet. I try not to put things I have already read in the BOTM.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I like wizards
I prefer to consume my autism in form of videogames too, I zone out when I read childrens books. I'm more excited for Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 than almost any upcoming novel tbh. But fantasy fans creep me out, they're literal manchildren. Most of them straight out refuse to read anything good, I don't know what it is about fantasy genre that fucks people up so bad. People who read only mystery novels are usually just boring, chick lit fans are kinda cute, but fantasy fans with their fedoras.. holy poo poo

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mallamp posted:

I like wizards
I prefer to consume my autism in form of videogames too, I zone out when I read childrens books. I'm more excited for Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5 than almost any upcoming novel tbh. But fantasy fans creep me out, they're literal manchildren. Most of them straight out refuse to read anything good, I don't know what it is about fantasy genre that fucks people up so bad. People who read only mystery novels are usually just boring, chick lit fans are kinda cute, but fantasy fans with their fedoras.. holy poo poo

If you weren't a complete idiot I would think this was a clever FYAD-style sendup of lit thread circlejerking.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

at the date posted:

If you weren't a complete idiot I would think this was a clever FYAD-style sendup of lit thread circlejerking.
If you don't have a chance to attend scifi con, read reddit fantasy for 5 minutes and you'll see what I mean
Actually don't, "I just want to understand how they build a whole world out of their minds?" is the hottest thread right now

mallamp fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 8, 2016

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Has anyone read Wolfgang Hilbig? I just finished Sleep of the Righteous and think it was pretty good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mallamp posted:

Actually don't, "I just want to understand how they build a whole world out of their minds?" is the hottest thread right now

As much as I hate to agree with mallamp the one thing I never understand about fantasy fiction and fans of fantasy fiction is the obsession with "world building"

Who gives a gently caress if the writer crafted the three century history of magical toilets in the prince's tower if the book loving sucks.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

If a furious fantasy fan happens to read my comment, I recommend 1) grow up 2) read World Fantasy Award nominees, it's like Hugo/Nebula, but the lit to poo poo ratio has been reversed from 1:10 to 10:1

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Making a feature of it seems to ignore the fact that any work of fiction creates a world. I'm not sure I understand the obsession as it's usually to the detriment of everything else.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As much as I hate to agree with mallamp the one thing I never understand about fantasy fiction and fans of fantasy fiction is the obsession with "world building"

Who gives a gently caress if the writer crafted the three century history of magical toilets in the prince's tower if the book loving sucks.
I want to say this isn't what people mean or care about but I honestly can't figure out what else they could possibly be praising when discussing "worldbuilding."

It also seems to be unique to that genre as there are lots of imaginative worlds in literary fiction but I never hear that term used to describe it. Maybe I don't hang out with the right people.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nakar posted:

I want to say this isn't what people mean or care about but I honestly can't figure out what else they could possibly be praising when discussing "worldbuilding."

It also seems to be unique to that genre as there are lots of imaginative worlds in literary fiction but I never hear that term used to describe it. Maybe I don't hang out with the right people.

It boils down to how well they think a book's setting would work to play an RPG in, pretty much, whether they know it or not.

I don't usually even agree in that case, most bad books that get worldbuilding praise seem like they'd be boring!

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
I think by worldbuilding they really mean ruleset or some such.

One author that's intriguing me at the moment is Michael Faber. He writes with a veneer of 'genre', in the sense that it's sci fi, or victorian novels, but everything is infused with a progressive, almost revisionist viewpoint. I really need to go back to Under the Skin after I've finished with Crimson Petal and White.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

knees of putty posted:

I think by worldbuilding they really mean ruleset or some such.

what does that even mean?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

"Worldbuilding" and "interesting magic system" are the two things I read most commonly from people praising whatever breezeblock fantasy epic is hot this month. I don't even know what the second one is meant to mean; it's a book not an MMO. In any case, almost always the protagonist is Special because they break the mechanics, at which point it's standard power fantasies being played out.

Worldbuilding I don't mind so much. Imaginative worlds can be interesting although they're fertile ground for canon wars over which elf wizard did the cool anime explosion. 90% of the time though it's either a slightly different rearrangement of the same stock fantasy elements or it's a "subversion" at the level of "in this one, the elves are BAD and the orcs are GOOD!" Also yeah, it's not like all other fiction doesn't posit some kind of alternative world, since that's uh, the point of fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am going to set a table top RPG in the rich fantasy world of Macondo

I am a LVL 12 Sustenance Farmer with the power to turn turnips into children for barren wives