Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
retard newb question here: how do you stop stubbing your toes all the time on the mat/into your partner while rolling? cause like, gently caress, ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

eventually your toes will wither into hard gnarled claws that feel nothing

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I've never had that problem, but I'm pretty conscientious about picking my feet up and not dragging them on the mat during any movement.

But I only roll like 2-3 times a month too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have some good news!

I'm sure you all remember that the discovery of a congenital brain condition made me have to quit BJJ. It was loving soul crushing and the cause of quite a bit of depression.

I've been to neurologists all the way in Colorado because of this condition trying to get it sorted. Well, things actually started to improve. And I got a third opinion from a neuro doc who told me, "You're fine, the other doctors are full of poo poo. If you feel like it start back today." I'm getting a new big time neurologist here in Nashville and see him in a week or so. I'm expecting good news.

Long story short - I want to commit to getting back to BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA. It's something I enjoy on a level that I cannot describe. Over the last few years I have facing soul shaking health stuff and it's left me with a different outlook than most. Rather than, "I have to treat myself like a fragile doll" I feel like, "I'm going to loving live my life how I want because tomorrow isn't guaranteed." I know you all probably think I'm an idiot for wanting to get back into a contact sport but I don't really think I can be dissuaded. gently caress being the sick guy.

Unfortunately I just got out of the hospital because of a car wreck. I have internal injuries that could last anywhere from thirty days to the end of my life depending on how I heal. This makes my return to something likely half a year or more away, which is frustrating.

P.S. Once you've gone through having an eighteen gauge needle inserted deep into your bicep to start an IV line and it takes three attempts over the course of an hour, you really feel like you could fight a God damned gorilla without fear.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

I have some good news!

I'm sure you all remember that the discovery of a congenital brain condition made me have to quit BJJ. It was loving soul crushing and the cause of quite a bit of depression.

I've been to neurologists all the way in Colorado because of this condition trying to get it sorted. Well, things actually started to improve. And I got a third opinion from a neuro doc who told me, "You're fine, the other doctors are full of poo poo. If you feel like it start back today." I'm getting a new big time neurologist here in Nashville and see him in a week or so. I'm expecting good news.

Long story short - I want to commit to getting back to BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA. It's something I enjoy on a level that I cannot describe. Over the last few years I have facing soul shaking health stuff and it's left me with a different outlook than most. Rather than, "I have to treat myself like a fragile doll" I feel like, "I'm going to loving live my life how I want because tomorrow isn't guaranteed." I know you all probably think I'm an idiot for wanting to get back into a contact sport but I don't really think I can be dissuaded. gently caress being the sick guy.

Unfortunately I just got out of the hospital because of a car wreck. I have internal injuries that could last anywhere from thirty days to the end of my life depending on how I heal. This makes my return to something likely half a year or more away, which is frustrating.

P.S. Once you've gone through having an eighteen gauge needle inserted deep into your bicep to start an IV line and it takes three attempts over the course of an hour, you really feel like you could fight a God damned gorilla without fear.

:woop:

e. and :smith: at the car accident

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

loving hell son, your luck better turn soon. Hopefully your internal stuff gets sorted out in the short term and you can get back on the mat.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You're going to die a sad death

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Novum posted:

You're going to die a sad death

Who isn't?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Not edgy message board comic

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nice one Captain Log.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=660901764078809&set=a.106674652834859.16574.100004769742817&type=3

Enson Inoue owns.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1121515024553857&id=178254262213276

People are giving him poo poo for it though, but he responds with class as ever.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 6, 2016

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Enson seems like a cool and personable guy, to an extent where I have trouble understanding why the yakuza was so enamoured with him.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Any other grapple goons in San Fran area? Anyone else going to Fight to Win 8?

http://f2wbjj.com/events/f2w-pro-8/

Lots of fun, heavy hitters on this. Also, of course, Kurt Osiander.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

omg chael crash posted:

I work during that weekend but Lindsdey Arcangel practices at my gym and he is a beast.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Man, I've been bad for so long, I'm probably up to my fourth or fifth year as a blue belt? But it's all clicking for me the last few months and I feel like a killing machine and I leave every lesson feeling like I'm Godzilla and I just destroyed Tokyo. It's the best.

~*believ in yrselves*~

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

omg chael crash posted:

I am in oakland and this looks badass. Will probably go.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Man, I've been bad for so long, I'm probably up to my fourth or fifth year as a blue belt? But it's all clicking for me the last few months and I feel like a killing machine and I leave every lesson feeling like I'm Godzilla and I just destroyed Tokyo. It's the best.

~*believ in yrselves*~

Two year white belt here and I have never subbed anyone who trains.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i'm rolling 5x a week now & all I know is pain

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neon Belly posted:

2 month white belt and I have subbed tons of teenagers and women. :getin:

I am 6'5 210lb and have retard strength though.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Is anyone here doing Reilly Bodycomb's camp over in New Orleans?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

Epsom salt baths and glucosamine chondroitin are your best friends. That or just energy conservation.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Body structure and posture too. For real I was considering quitting because I was constantly in pain. Went from training 4x to 1-2 because I was so sick of feeling like a dried corpse.

Then last year I moved and had to change schools. My new coach is all about posture alignment and keeping yourself in good shape. Holy. poo poo. It's like the fountain of youth. I'm not just better on the mat but I don't hurt all the drat time.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

what's that even mean

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

what's that even mean

A lot of people inflict a ton of soft tissue damage on themselves by constantly being in lovely postures, which makes them think jiu jitsu is super hard on their body. Then when someone starts focusing on getting correct posture in whatever position, a lot of that poo poo goes away.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

teach me how to fix my warped spine goons

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

Have you considered steroids?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Your posture is bad but how orange are your women

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Kekekela posted:

A lot of people inflict a ton of soft tissue damage on themselves by constantly being in lovely postures, which makes them think jiu jitsu is super hard on their body. Then when someone starts focusing on getting correct posture in whatever position, a lot of that poo poo goes away.

Lifting weights should help with this too. Deadlifts for jits!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I had to learn to do handstands to get my yellow belt in judo. One crazy trick to proper posture right there.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Thoughts after 2 months of BJJ from a beginner:

Some of these people in the beginners class have no loving clue what they are doing like me, but unlike me like to think they know what they are doing and are not fun, and potentially dangerous, to roll with. Doing chokes and this guy did not have his arm in the right place and kept trying to squeeze my trachea, when I pointed out how coach taught it he ignored me and tried to crush my windpipe again. Thankfully we switched to a different control exercise and I made him pay by just relaxing on his chest with my hips while he tried to figure out how to move 220 pounds.

Even with my sore rear end throat and bruises I am loving it and can't wait for the sessions each weeknight.

Questions Im not sure on:

As a bigger guy (6'4 220) how much weight should I be putting on people? When I am lucky and one of the bigger guys is there its no problem, but when Im rolling with someone who is 40+ lbs lighter, should I just be sinking my weight on them? I feel bad because I did wrestle a decade plus ago in highschool so I know how to sprawl and keep control with my weight, but am I doing them a disservice by not going full weight cause they dont train against full resistance, or am I doing them a service by providing at least some resistance so partner can pull off the move were practicing?

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 12, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Some of these people in the beginners class have no loving clue what they are doing like me, but unlike me like to think they know what they are doing and are not fun, and potentially dangerous, to roll with. Doing chokes and this guy did not have his arm in the right place and kept trying to squeeze my trachea, when I pointed out how coach taught it he ignored me and tried to crush my windpipe again. Thankfully we switched to a different control exercise and I made him pay by just relaxing on his chest with my hips while he tried to figure out how to move 220 pounds.

Even with my sore rear end throat and bruises I am loving it and can't wait for the sessions each weeknight.

As a bigger guy (6'4 220) how much weight should I be putting on people? When I am lucky and one of the bigger guys is there its no problem, but when Im rolling with someone who is 40+ lbs lighter, should I just be sinking my weight on them? I feel bad because I did wrestle a decade plus ago in highschool so I know how to sprawl and keep control with my weight, but am I doing them a disservice by not going full weight cause they dont train against full resistance, or am I doing them a service by providing at least some resistance so partner can pull off the move were practicing?

I usually pull guard/play bottom if I'm more than 15lb or so heavier. Against someone good it could probably be worthwhile to expose them to a heavy wrestler laying on top, but its probably not the best way to help a newer partner.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

If they are a lower skill level, ease up the pressure a bit maybe and let them try to work through the technique. Also focus on using technique yourself rather than pure weight. If they're higher skill level, give it to em. I, personally, hate it when anyone takes it easy on me.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

There are weight classes so I say try to be as heavy as they are without giving away anything.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Pressure is technique, use it if the person has at least as much experience as you do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Try not to cripple them but them working harder to get a bigger guy off them will only help them in the end.

For people who are at the other end of this, one trick I learned that helped me a loving ton early on was to lift my hips and lower back a little bit off the ground when someone was trying to stack all their weight on my chest. Being pressured like that can make it really hard to breathe, but if you give your abdomen somewhere else to expand when you're breathing in makes things a lot easier.

I dunno, maybe everybody already knows that and is looking at me like I'm an idiot right now, but I was discussing this with one of our brown belts and he was saying when he did his first white belt tournament, he ended up tapping to a guy who just stacked on his chest in side control and managed to defend position long enough to tire out his breathing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Neon Belly posted:

Ouch. What do you think is holding you back? What kind of problems do you run into?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I was 220 when I started and didn't try using my weight too muchbut kinda used it because I was uncoordinated af , there's a limit you gotta be careful you don't push too far with lower weight partners as it will become disheartening quick for them. I quickly lost the extra weight though and got more coordination by trying to be careful I think so its all good in the end.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I had my first roll with a spazzy new white belt recently. I've been doing Bjj constantly for almost two years and this is the first time Ive had anyone try to earnestly hooker choke me from inside of my closed guard I was so shocked it was happening it took me a few seconds to react and used a reverse armbar, and I felt the spirit of jiujitsu flow through me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Scrappy beginners are cool to roll with. I rolled with a chick a few weeks back who threw like three elbows and almost took one of my eyes out while fighting for a hook.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

sivad posted:

Pressure is technique, use it if the person has at least as much experience as you do.

I got a pretty loving great complement last Sunday on open mats. I sparred with a dude for a bit and after the round was done he asked:

:v: "Hey dude, how much you weight?"
:haw: "170"
:v: "Goddam dude, you feel heavier than that"
:haw: :smug:

Then I rolled with a 200+ lbs dude who had absolutely no pressure game and gave him some hot tips. Honestly I goddam love rolling with heavy people because I gotta think on technique because otherwise imma get hosed over by their weight,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Ouch. What do you think is holding you back? What kind of problems do you run into?

We're a top heavy school, so I can go a week of training without ever rolling with another white belt - after two years I'm still one of the newer guys. I think this leads to me just not having much practice at being able to move well while in/between advantageous positions. I'll get to side control and be basically clueless because I'm there so rarely in live rolling, for instance. Lately as well we haven't had enough space to have people open roll, so we'll do king of the hill or situational rolling. Last night, for example, we were broken into three groups, with each group getting a turn sitting on the mat in open guard and for five minutes having people rotate through trying to score. These days seem to be near worthless for me - blue/purple belts just walk right through me, the brown/blacks will let me play around some but not for long, and I can certainly stall out against some of the whites, but what's the point of two white belts stalling out for a round?

To be clear, I'm in the >200lb club, so yeah I can probably blast through the 115lb white belts and maybe some of the small blue belts, but there's no point in that. The instructor has told me he's seen me improving, which supposedly is a rare thing for him to say to anyone, and other colored belts have expressed similar sentiments. It's probably just a matter of more mat time and hopefully something will eventually click. I have fun at practice and socially with the people I roll with, so I don't think I'll be quitting anytime soon.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 13, 2016