Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

Are you on BF2.8.1? Using the BetaFlight Configurator?

Holy craaaaaaaap this is the best use of RC I've ever seen. Man builds motorized Duck, takes it to pond:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX7Rc8lctUY

Step 2....some next level poo poo:stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S1ad6b2wmA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4G9tzZLfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The FR632 finally arrived.

Mixed feeling about this one. For one, it can keep up an image way longer when hovering behind big leafy trees, my Fatshark internal receiver would have turned to heavy distortions by now.

However... As soon larger parts of the image white out, the image starts to wobble a lot and eventually the receiver loses sync and the image is all over the place, until there's enough contrast near the corners to sync properly again. (--edit: Apparently I have a highlight compensation option in the camera, now the image is stable, but everything blown out is black :v: )

I take it that the Nexwave receivers run their own timing in parallel and can stabilize the incoming signal, which the RX5808 receivers in this FR632 probably don't do.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 12, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a reason a lot of people keep calling the rubberduckies dipoles? I've torn one down out of curiosity, and it's a monopole.

Because it has an active and a passive element.

A monopole only has an active element.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What does that passive element do? I figured it was to keep the wire in place, because it was clamped on the insulation, not the ground.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Any opinions on this 4in1 ESC, or other similar products? http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_507_699&products_id=4919
I searched a little bit and saw a couple other similar products. Judging by the images alone, this one seemed like one of the nicer ones to me(tidy layout, decent build quality).

I like the idea of consolidating them on one board. Seems like it would save a bit of mass and tidy up wiring quite a bit. The only downside I've heard so far is "if one esc goes out you have to replace the whole thing". Not sure if that's all that common of an issue as long as the ESC and motors(and props to some extent?) are spec'd properly for each other.

e: It seems like they could also consolidate to a single MCU though instead of keeping them all separate, as long as it had enough compute power and pins, maybe a F1 since they are dirt cheap and fairly capable? Are there any products that do that?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 12, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

What does that passive element do? I figured it was to keep the wire in place, because it was clamped on the insulation, not the ground.

Sorry, I was using wrong terminology. I meant it was a grounded element, not passive. However, it could be that it's actually designed as a passive (parasitic element) if it's not connected to the ground?.

My impression was that the rubber duckys were basic 'bazooka' dipoles, but I may be wrong?
http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?the-vertical-bazooka-antenna,18

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't know. Maybe the kid in the Chinese factory mounted it wrong.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

Any opinions on this 4in1 ESC, or other similar products? http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_507_699&products_id=4919
I searched a little bit and saw a couple other similar products. Judging by the images alone, this one seemed like one of the nicer ones to me(tidy layout, decent build quality).

I like the idea of consolidating them on one board. Seems like it would save a bit of mass and tidy up wiring quite a bit. The only downside I've heard so far is "if one esc goes out you have to replace the whole thing". Not sure if that's all that common of an issue as long as the ESC and motors(and props to some extent?) are spec'd properly for each other.

e: It seems like they could also consolidate to a single MCU though instead of keeping them all separate, as long as it had enough compute power and pins, maybe a F1 since they are dirt cheap and fairly capable? Are there any products that do that?

There is also a littlebee 20a pro 4 in 1

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

There is also a littlebee 20a pro 4 in 1

-lust-

So much for the red rotor PDB/OSD I was planning to use for an owl build. Back to picking an OSD though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

patentmagus posted:

-lust-

So much for the red rotor PDB/OSD I was planning to use for an owl build. Back to picking an OSD though.

Convential advice is against using a 4-in-1 ESC, as if you blow one ESC you need to replace the whole board. I've personally never blown as ESC though so YMMV.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a test quad that I'm building with the jankiest parts. And top of that list is an ebay chinese 4in1. I give it like 2 test motor revs before I actually blow one of the on board ESCs

nerox
May 20, 2001

patentmagus posted:

-lust-

http://www.hifpv.com/Foxeer-Sony-CCD-Arrow-camera-Built-in-OSD-Audio-5~22V--g-338 (first link from google, don't know about vendor or price here)

Foxeer made a new camera that has a built in flight timer and battery voltage OSD.

Ignore this if you meant the Owl camera. There is now an Owl camera and frame out, so I don't know which you meant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well gently caress, I just bought a camera and was also hunting for OSD. Wish I'd know about this one.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Slash posted:

Convential advice is against using a 4-in-1 ESC, as if you blow one ESC you need to replace the whole board. I've personally never blown as ESC though so YMMV.

This is for a mostly indoor flyer with maybe a little outside. I have blown ESCs, but never indoors. This one is fun because my big screen TV has a video Rx hooked to the AV input. That's where the "a little outside" comes in - can't help but fly through open doors or windows.

nerox posted:

http://www.hifpv.com/Foxeer-Sony-CCD-Arrow-camera-Built-in-OSD-Audio-5~22V--g-338 (first link from google, don't know about vendor or price here)

Foxeer made a new camera that has a built in flight timer and battery voltage OSD.

Ignore this if you meant the Owl camera. There is now an Owl camera and frame out, so I don't know which you meant.

Great call and yes, I did mean the owl frame and not the runcam owl. Still might use a regular OSD and hs1177 for looking at RSSI. It can be a bit nervous sitting in the house while the quad is outside. From experience, I know to do this only when properly attired because you have to run outside when the Taranis says "telemetry lost."

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone at flite fest? Is it cash only for vendor row?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Hello drone nerds, maybe you can give me some advice. I'm shopping for a drone and I'm in over my head.

I'm a historian thinking of getting a drone to do some aerial surveying of some historical sites that are difficult to access. Often there's something cool on the other side of a fence or a hill or whatever, and I think a drone would help me out. But I don't know poo poo about drones

I have a gopro session 4 already, so I figure that I should make use of that, since it seems to be a good camera for droning. So, I am looking for a drone that can carry that.

I have no interest in doing any kind of tricks, and I would mostly just be using this to slowly survey and hover and make photos and videos of landscapes. I tend to be in windy places.

So here are my requirements:
- Stability in wind and some crash resistance
- Longer operating time and distance are good
- no built in-camera, but the ability to carry a tiny gopro.
- preferably not phone controlled, since I want to use the phone to display the gopro broadcast
- cheap. I'm still skeptical about how much I will actually be using this, so I don't want to waste a ton of money. Let's say around $300 is my max range.
- easy learning curve

Any advice spring to mind?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

There's nothing in your price range. A half-decent gimbal will set you back $300 on it's own.
You're better of finding a local drone-nerd and get him/her to do it for you.

nerox
May 20, 2001

twoday posted:

Hello drone nerds, maybe you can give me some advice. I'm shopping for a drone and I'm in over my head.

I'm a historian thinking of getting a drone to do some aerial surveying of some historical sites that are difficult to access. Often there's something cool on the other side of a fence or a hill or whatever, and I think a drone would help me out. But I don't know poo poo about drones

I have a gopro session 4 already, so I figure that I should make use of that, since it seems to be a good camera for droning. So, I am looking for a drone that can carry that.

I have no interest in doing any kind of tricks, and I would mostly just be using this to slowly survey and hover and make photos and videos of landscapes. I tend to be in windy places.

- preferably not phone controlled, since I want to use the phone to display the gopro broadcast
- cheap. I'm still skeptical about how much I will actually be using this, so I don't want to waste a ton of money. Let's say around $300 is my max range.
- easy learning curve

You will be very hard pressed to find anything that's going to work better out of the box than just buying a Phantom 3. $300 is a pretty tight budget buying a quad/transmitter/batteries and charger by itself.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

twoday posted:

- easy learning curve

Well I had nearly the same question and was recommended the Syma 8XHG (less than $200), which I've just received today. When I say "nearly", the difference is that I did not have a GoPro so it's a drone that is shipped with its own camera. You might or might not be able to jury rig something to graft your GoPro on it instead of mounting the provided camera. Anyway the step up from that is the Phantom 3 which is like at least $600.

Battery hasn't finished charging so I haven't been able to try it yet.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yeah, I was looking at the Symas. They sell 3rd party go pro mounts for :10bux:.

I'm fine without a gimbal, It's ok if it just points straight down, or at like a 45 degree angle, and then I can circle the object of interest. I don't need high quality footage or anything, it's mostly just to see things I'm curious about. I'm willing to compromise on any of my requirements.

A syma is relatively cheap, so I guess I can just buy one to gently caress around with. Let me know how it goes.

Also, symas come in Orange, the national color of the Netherlands, where I live. I figure that having an orange one will deter eagle attacks against my drone by the Dutch police.

twoday fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 15, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If the 3dr solo with gimbal goes on sale again for $500, that would be your best bet. You can set up surveys and do nadir or oblique imagery with geotagging (well, in post I guess, not sure how integrated that is with the solo). You're not going to be able to do this with a syma.

A phantom 3 standard or advanced would also be an option. Or, as someone else said, find someone local to work with.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well, trip report is disappointing so far: included in the packaging were eight prop blades. Six of them have an A2 marking, two of them have an A1 marking, but there's no noticeable difference: they're all angled the same. As a result, the drone has two props pushing air down (on the A wings) and two props pushing air up (on the B wings) and it just doesn't take off. :rolleyes:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

What do the Amazon reviews say about it? Probably best resource for those Symas. I'm glad I tooled around with a $40 mini drone and saved my pennies for a Phantom 3 pro. Worth waiting for it and it's amazing easy to fly

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Cat Mattress posted:

Well, trip report is disappointing so far: included in the packaging were eight prop blades. Six of them have an A2 marking, two of them have an A1 marking, but there's no noticeable difference: they're all angled the same. As a result, the drone has two props pushing air down (on the A wings) and two props pushing air up (on the B wings) and it just doesn't take off. :rolleyes:

That is lovely and indicative of some of the quality control on the Chinese drones. It's only a minor setback though and getting some replacement props should be easy. Don't give up just yet!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

twoday posted:

- easy learning curve

The session sucks. Nobody makes gimbals for it anyway, the only thing it's kind of good for is strapping on an acro or race quad but the möbius or runcam does a very comparable job for half the price. Sell the session and then buy a base model phantom 3 with your 300 bucks plus a bit more. That's the cheapest and easiest way to get great footage.

Komputernauta
May 16, 2006

Finally had a nice free weekend, so I flew this thing. Broke the engine in and tuned it roughly. Did some flips, loops and rolls. Going to try an inverted hover next time I'm out. Probably gonna look into building a racing quad next.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Wojcigitty posted:

The session sucks. Nobody makes gimbals for it anyway, the only thing it's kind of good for is strapping on an acro or race quad but the möbius or runcam does a very comparable job for half the price. Sell the session and then buy a base model phantom 3 with your 300 bucks plus a bit more. That's the cheapest and easiest way to get great footage.

This is really good advice! The phantom 3 looks great for my purposes. If I sell some junk I think I can get one.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Had my first time flying FPV with my own 250 size quad and gear yesterday. What a blast! I don't know why I waited so long. My camera quality is a little lacking and washed out, so hopefully I can get that sorted and be able to see a little better.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

porksmash posted:

Had my first time flying FPV with my own 250 size quad and gear yesterday. What a blast! I don't know why I waited so long. My camera quality is a little lacking and washed out, so hopefully I can get that sorted and be able to see a little better.

HS1177(or variations thereof) is the camera everyone uses. If you're camera has a menu you could try changing the settings to improve the picture. For example turning on DWDR helps a lot.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I remember hearing something about needing HAM license to operate DIY FPV, but not FatShark FPV. Is that accurate?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Geburan posted:

I remember hearing something about needing HAM license to operate DIY FPV, but not FatShark FPV. Is that accurate?

No. AFAIK you're supposed to have a HAM license to use any transmitter without an FCC registration (there will be a sticker on it or it will say in the manual/box. most of them don't)

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Ah, okay, that makes sense. I think someone mentioned FatShark had the sticker, but it doesn't matter since I will probably go cheapo Quanum route anyway. Guess I need to look into getting licensed. Thanks.

nerox
May 20, 2001

n.. posted:

No. AFAIK you're supposed to have a HAM license to use any transmitter without an FCC registration (there will be a sticker on it or it will say in the manual/box. most of them don't)

Isn't anything with an FCC registration is going to be pretty low power? The FCC approved fatshark one is 5mw.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Geburan posted:

If you're under 10mw, the FCC doesn't care. the 5.8 gear that comes on the eflite stuff is all under 10mw.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone help me find the cheapest motor that can swing a 7" prop on 3s

I'm thinkin this would work http://www.ebay.com/itm/XXD-A2212-2212-1800KV-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-Free-Mounts-Set-for-RC-Aircraft-/121801651837

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Slash posted:

HS1177(or variations thereof) is the camera everyone uses. If you're camera has a menu you could try changing the settings to improve the picture. For example turning on DWDR helps a lot.

Yeah, I think some settings will help. I have the standard Sony 600TVL camera. I set it up in my room at night with light from my lamp, so sunlight is probably overwhelming it a bit.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

http://www.google.com/patents/WO2015200209A1?cl=en

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thanks I'm getting that on a tshirt tomorrow

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm still trying to figure out my slow rates issue after upgrading to BF 2.8.1. Someone here recommended I use the BF Configurator, but I'm having issues with that now.
Using my SP Racing F3, I can connect to the BF Configurator, but accessing the PID tab freezes the works. Other tabs will freeze sometimes, but PID will always freeze.
Not finding much luck on Googling, probably not using the right keywords. Has anyone else heard of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

McMadCow posted:

I'm still trying to figure out my slow rates issue after upgrading to BF 2.8.1. Someone here recommended I use the BF Configurator, but I'm having issues with that now.
Using my SP Racing F3, I can connect to the BF Configurator, but accessing the PID tab freezes the works. Other tabs will freeze sometimes, but PID will always freeze.
Not finding much luck on Googling, probably not using the right keywords. Has anyone else heard of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGaxDGx0fA