Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Can someone define "virtue signalling", I've seen it sporadically among alt-righty types and it's clearly some kind of formal jargon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Periodiko posted:

Can someone define "virtue signalling", I've seen it sporadically among alt-righty types and it's clearly some kind of formal jargon.

"You only pretend to care about the poor/women/minorities/whatever so that people will think you're a good person."

That's what it means. It can more easily be translated as "I'm a shithead who is trying to look down on you for having ethics or empathy." when you see it used.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Periodiko posted:

Misanthropes and bitter angry men believe that no rational person could ever hold views other than their own, therefore when people state things such as "we should respect trans people" or "diversity is good for society" they're clearly just saying it so that they look like Good People and not because they actually believe it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Night10194 posted:

"You only pretend to care about the poor/women/minorities/whatever so that people will think you're a good person."

That's what it means. It can more easily be translated as "I'm a shithead who is trying to look down on you for having ethics or empathy." when you see it used.

I like to segue into telling them that they are just trying to virtue signal as rational people so they don't have to evaluate their gut feelings. :v:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

So it basically means "an expression of principle by a liberal". They invented a special term for that. I see.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

beatlegs posted:

So it basically means "an expression of principle by a liberal". They invented a special term for that. I see.

Honestly, it more means 'An expression of principle at all'.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Virtue signalling seems to be the new "white knight" thing, for everything that isn't women.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

love the user reviews

Who the gently caress is this douchebag lol

http://nycmovieguru.com/july15th16.html#hillarysamerica

Edit: lol again

http://nycmovieguru.com/april1st16.html#vaxxed

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 18, 2016

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Periodiko posted:

"everyone is as awful of a person as I am therefore any time some is nice they have an ulterior motive"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Goatman Sacks posted:

"everyone is as awful of a person as I am therefore any time some is nice they have an ulterior motive"

That's honestly the best description of it I've ever read, and that's probably 100% what's happening there. They can't imagine taking up a cause for something that doesn't directly benefit or please them

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Do republicans hate Hillary more than Obama?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I think it might get to that point if it hasn't already reached it yeah.

Also lol at the virtue signalling thing, that's some loving AAA-Grade projection right there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Aesop Poprock posted:

That's honestly the best description of it I've ever read, and that's probably 100% what's happening there. They can't imagine taking up a cause for something that doesn't directly benefit or please them

I'd always read it as "facebook activism," i.e., people who just say poo poo but don't do anything, but yeah, considering it's alt-right this makes sense.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

No. INSERT DEMOCRATIC PARTY CANDIDATE will always be the worst reptilian America-stealer the world has ever seen and if INSERT DEMOCRATIC PARTY CANDIDATE isn't stopped then we might as well get used to being castrated Muslim slaves.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Night10194 posted:

My sole interpretation of it is " say extreme/ poo poo so certain people will like me and applaud me and follow me" its basicaly dog whistling but louder. its what people like milo/walsh/crowder/trump do all the time, believing in it(or not) doesnt factor in with me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hillary is unique in Republican mythos, more than Generic Democrat.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure about more, probably as much though

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Hbomberguy has a pretty concise description of how virtue signaling arose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAmM872874A

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh yeah. She's literally their boogeyman. They've been telling stories about her around the campire for 20 years. And the authoritarian imagination places white over black, but their bigger thing is that women are inferior to and subservient to men. She's almost a cosmic threat to their worldview.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Killjoy posted:

We didn't run that guy out of these forums only to have his dipshit videos posted here lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

We didn't run that guy out of these forums only to have his dipshit videos posted here lol

Pfft, what?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Pfft, what?

Does he still post here? All I know is he posted here a while ago and was generally terrible and I haven't seem him around in a while. He got into some really heated arguments in GBS about how Kill la Kill is a sterling example of feminist media

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
This article is the original source supposedly: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/04/hating-the-daily-mail-is-a-substitute-for-doing-good/

For what it's worth, the author isn't alt-right, but is kind of a grumpy neo-liberal turd (is this leftist virtue signalling?). I did a little google research and he's literally a banker turned journalist whose main cause appears to be opposing the British welfare state. And while "virtue signalling" is certainly a thing, it's hard not to read this kind of stuff as whining:

quote:

Comedians make use of virtue signalling of the vituperative kind. With the right audience they can get laughs scorning the usual suspects: Ukip, the Daily Mail, Eton, bankers and the rest. The audience enjoys the caricaturing of all of these, sneering at them and, in the process, joining together as a congregation of the righteously contemptuous. What a delight to display your virtue, feel confirmed in your views, enjoy a sense of community, let off some anger and have a laugh all at the same time! It is so easy, too!

I mean, how dare they? He has a degree, for chrissake. That's a cherry-picked section, and the author does have some scattered points, but he seems like a right-wing elitist rear end in a top hat generally that's upset at all the peasants having crude, emotional political views rather than his well-educated intellectual detachment.

There's also a pretty heavy dose of the old right-wing argument that social programs are actually a substitute for charity and good acts:

quote:

No one actually has to do anything. Virtue comes from mere words or even from silently held beliefs. There was a time in the distant past when people thought you could only be virtuous by doing things: by helping the blind man across the road; looking after your elderly parents instead of dumping them in a home; staying in a not-wholly-perfect marriage for the sake of the children. These things involve effort and self-sacrifice. That sounds hard! Much more convenient to achieve virtue by expressing hatred of those who think the health service could be improved by introducing competition.

[...] There was a time when Britain had a form of Christianity in which pride was considered a sin. Maybe that is part of why some of us find all this virtue signalling obnoxious. It’s just showing off. For some of us it is both ridiculous and irritating that people who say that they hate Ukip actually believe they are being more virtuous than others who visit the sick, give money to charity or are kind to someone lonely.

Hard not to read it in the context of the author's conservatism. A lot of "there was a time"-ism.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 18, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Does he still post here? All I know is he posted here a while ago and was generally terrible and I haven't seem him around in a while. He got into some really heated arguments in GBS about how Kill la Kill is a sterling example of feminist media

Ohhh, that's why.

Yeah, a lotta people got really dumb about that show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62eCT40iLNk

this is his best video.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Geostomp posted:

I really hope that whoever makes these shirts takes a tumble into the machinery.

Why do you hate bangladeshi children?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

icantfindaname posted:

Go away

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd always read it as "facebook activism," i.e., people who just say poo poo but don't do anything
Those are social justice warriors

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

icantfindaname posted:

We ran him out? Dang, and I liked his letsplay of...

...something.

Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl?

Edit: Lone Badger, that was my first thought. :v:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lol you're talking

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Reading his reviews for documentaries is strange because he seems to straight up believe everything

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/alwaysthinkhow/status/754524875365163012

He WAS also a pilot

https://twitter.com/united/status/754774949664030720

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Probably Clinton. They despise Obama for being black and relatively successful despite their best efforts, but the hatred for the Clintons "stealing" the elections they assumed they were entitled to is just seething.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hbomb still posts and still does LP, lol if you think the GBS cesspool matters

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Yeah that one's pretty good, but I'm a way bigger fan of the Cultural Marxism one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYQo6LI3Y7c

I don't care if he has arguably bad opinions about anime, hbomberguy is amazing.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 18, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:wtf:
https://twitter.com/dloesch/status/754772107653812224

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We all have our flaws. For example, I know more about memes than I do politics.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Ugh, my home state. Way to go genius.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattwalshblog/status/754808814864441345

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure you don't like talking about this stuff because it gets the blood pressure rising but please continue to do so! It's always very interesting to read!

Oh thanks! I don't think I'd be half as interested in politics if it wasn't for my involvement in education. Anyway it's actually cathartic as few of my friends are interested at all.

Geostomp posted:

Given the fact that protests only work if people pay attention and they get their message out, I can say that the media plays a massive role. They can easily poison a movement if they spread the right narrative early enough that it replaces the truth in the public eye. That is getting more difficult these days to hammer in a coherent narrative since any fool with a cellphone can capture the event and spread it faster than the news, but for people who get their information from RWM, it's still piss easy to manipulate them into raging at whatever target they want.

I think that was part of what really hurt OWS. Then again, Caesar Chavez park was full of "protesters" camping out so its not like the media spin was totally untrue. It's just that my feeling at the time was that the homeless, mentally ill and drug abusers are a relevant example of how our population is going unserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I give him 20 pages until he drops it and never looks at it again, but puts it on his "books I've read and therefore legitimize my status as a public intellectual" list anyway.