Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DemeaninDemon posted:

2016 Election is the gift that keeps on giving.

It's great and fun now. But it's playing the most dangerous game of chicken in the world. I don't want to Arzy or anything as I know it's unlikely but man. What if like when we move to get out of the way of the oncoming train our leg cramps up or something and we just get hit by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dexo posted:

You know. Lets just say it wouldn't shock me.

Like I am struggling to believe someone can be that goddamn incompetent.

While it's just 100% speculation and talking out of my rear end on my part but being from the eastern bloc, if Trump did write that mostly herself then she may not realize plagiarism in the west is frowned upon.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Ok, the speechwriter definitely did this poo poo on purpose. The copy/paste and the rickroll are too blatent hahaha

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
http://twitter.com/scottgustin/status/755234991546695680

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Petr posted:

Wait, what?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

While it's just 100% speculation and talking out of my rear end on my part but being from the eastern bloc, if Trump did write that mostly herself then she may not realize plagiarism in the west is frowned upon.

Her husband makes a living putting his name on other people's work. She just applied it to speech writing .

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's the end of the GOP so why not have a little fun?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

It's great and fun now. But it's playing the most dangerous game of chicken in the world. I don't want to Arzy or anything as I know it's unlikely but man. What if like when we move to get out of the way of the oncoming train our leg cramps up or something and we just get hit by it.

Don't think Hillary's dumb enough to jump in front of this Trump train as it's barreling towards a cliff full of spiders, cacti, and rusty razor blades.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Watch some 4channer take credit for writing the speech. That would be par for the course considering the rest of the Trump campaign so far.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Hahaha, on MSNBC right now Chris Matthews with journalist who talked to some Trump aides about Melania's speech, Trump aides said the campaign is PISSED how the media is reacting to it, and they are analyzing the speech themselves to (these are my words) come up with some cover for this.

Hahahahaha

e: and now Matthews is talking to the camera to the hypothetical speech writer -- "Fall on your sword, come out and admit what you did to protect your candidate"

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 19, 2016

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I wonder if the campaign is smart enough to start frantically googling phrases from Donald's speech to see what their writers have hidden in there.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just stopping by to say that with each passing moment the 2016 election goes back and forth between horrifying and hilarious and this might be the most thoroughly entertaining long-form event of most of our lifetimes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Sorry but this is not the party that forgives egregious violations of law and ethical norms because of dirty foreigner culture shock

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Petr posted:

I still don't understand how or why that happens. Did someone think they'd get away with that? Are the Trumps actually for-real Democratic plants?
Yes

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

Between this and the Taylor Swift/Kanye situation, this has been an incredibly satisfying day of callouts

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
As Melania Trump wrote, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

e: and now Matthews is talking to the camera to the hypothetical speech writer -- "Fall on your sword, come out and admit what you did to protect your candidate"
you're a journalist chris not a loving advisor to trump's advisors

I wasn't aware I could have a lower opinion of chris mathews - what a craven servile piece of poo poo

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Which would then of course directly contradict Melania saying she wrote the speech herself.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hollismason posted:

Have you guys considered that she's just really good at plagiarizing? No, you didn't because you automatically discount her and her value.

I didn't consider that because if she was good at plagiarizing she wouldn't have been caught.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Kilroy posted:

you're a journalist chris not a loving advisor to trump's advisors

I wasn't aware I could have a lower opinion of chris mathews - what a craven servile piece of poo poo

That's a weirdly volatile reaction to a talking head trying to gin up a scoop.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

I know this is lazy as hell but does anyone have a good reference or references that give a good summary of Jill Stein's political positions? I'm only familiar with her strong anti-nuclear stance and I'm getting more and more Berniebros talking her up as if she's the only sane choice left.

Decoding Authoritarians: A Schizophrenic Explains Crazy People.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
did I just call chris matthews a journalist

what has happened to me

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Ballz posted:

Which would then of course directly contradict Melania saying she wrote the speech herself.

Doesn't matter, it's the media's fault.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Petr posted:

That's a weirdly volatile reaction to a talking head trying to gin up a scoop.
he's blatantly trying to use his position to influence the trump campaign itself, it's pretty lovely

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Kilroy posted:

he's blatantly trying to use his position to influence the trump campaign itself, it's pretty lovely

I'm pretty sure he's just trying to squeeze this for all it's worth.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/politico/status/755256353300615172

drat man. All of Melania's receipts are getting pulled tonight.

Also

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/243365239196876801

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

RIP Vilerat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I can't help but feel bad for Melania here. She didn't write that speech, despite her claim to the contrary. She didn't know her speech was plagiarized, she was just trying to support her husband and now she's a laughingstock because of it. All because her husband is really bad at running a campaign.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Either decision that the campaign makes by throwing a speech writer under the bus or sticking with "It was a great speech liberals!!" looks impotent and dumb.

There is really no good response to this, other than a token response and ignoring it.

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009

She plagiarized the 2008 speech, so wait for another night for someone to copy the one he is talking about in this tweet.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pakled posted:

I can't help but feel bad for Melania here. She didn't write that speech, despite her claim to the contrary. She didn't know her speech was plagiarized, she was just trying to support her husband and now she's a laughingstock because of it. All because her husband is really bad at running a campaign.

Lie down with dogs, catch fleas.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Is there any chance they weren't smart enough to have a whole stable of speechwriters, and they used the same guy for everything? And now they have to be scared of sabotage in every speech, including his acceptance?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

I can't help but feel bad for Melania here. She didn't write that speech, despite her claim to the contrary. She didn't know her speech was plagiarized, she was just trying to support her husband and now she's a laughingstock because of it.

She's a laughingstock for this? She's Donald Trump's wife

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Petr posted:

Is there any chance they weren't smart enough to have a whole stable of speechwriters, and they used the same guy for everything? And now they have to be scared of sabotage in every speech, including his acceptance?

If so we're in for the best tell-all book in a long time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sword of Chomsky posted:

The retrospective of this election is going to be the poo poo that is taught in Poly Sci classes for years to come.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Sword of Chomsky posted:

I just hope Western Civilization lasts long enough for it to be published.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

She's a laughingstock for this? She's Donald Trump's wife

You forgot a third in there.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm so happy right now. It's just magical and this is only day one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Petr posted:

Regardless of how the campaign reacts, someone at the RNC is right now in the process of setting a room full of interns to work googling sentences from every upcoming speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tonight in a nutshell:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/755267998651392000?lang=en

• Locked thread