Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kilroy posted:

taking a class to the islamic center in bothell or something probably isn't going to cut it

Ha that would actually be one of the easiest to defend because the islamic center of bothell has been targeted with death threats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

It's technically possible, the best kind of possible.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

SedanChair posted:

Ha that would actually be one of the easiest to defend because the islamic center of bothell has been targeted with death threats
god drat it I really just picked something at random and had no idea

so, just a run-of-the-mill mosque that hasn't received death threats, then. If any of those exist

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is a willful misunderstanding of his argument

His argument is a willful misunderstanding of all relevant law and precedent, as is yours.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think anyone would mind kids visiting a place of worship like a church or mosque because it can be much more easily tied into some sort of legitimate intellectual outcome. It's disingenuous to suggest a place of worship and a creationist museum have the same context. It's like saying because you are ok with letting kids see biological models of human reproductive organs you are ok with letting them see gangbang sluts 9. Both could be justified as giving a lesson in biology, but only one could be plausibly argued. Just having an excuse is not enough, the excuse has to hold up to scrutiny.

My public high school had a world religion elective. As part of it we visited multiple Christian sects, a mosque, and Hindu and Jewish temples. At each of them, we were actively taught about the precepts of the religion by the leader of the places or one of their subordinates, they were actively proselytizing, except the rabbi.

This was 100% legal because it had clear curriculum tie in. And this is absolutely way more religious instruction than visiting a creation museum or that dumb Ark.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SedanChair posted:

It's hard to imagine how a visit to an actual place of religious worship could be more defensible than a visit to a fake museum with a religious agenda.

-what do Christians believe?
-how do Christians worship?
-What elements do churches commonly have?
-Etc.

A creationist museum wouldn't meaningfully cover things like that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

fishmech posted:

His argument is a willful misunderstanding of all relevant law and precedent, as is yours.

And so we have hit the "no u" portion of the argument

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

-what do Christians believe?
-how do Christians worship?
-What elements do churches commonly have?
-Etc.

A creationist museum wouldn't meaningfully cover things like that

It actually covers a very specific part of American evangelical Christian belief, and one that's politically contentious as well. Providing additional justification for a field trip, if anyone cared to take advantage of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And so we have hit the "no u" portion of the argument

Yeah we know you don't actually have an argument because you keep going "but I don't want it to be legal!!!" in so many words.

Visiting creationist idiot museums is just as legal as any other destinations for public school field trips. Deal with it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It depends on what context you're visiting the place, if you're going there to treat it as a museum it probably should be illegal but if you're going there to learn how crazy people view the world it's an educational experience.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SedanChair posted:

It actually covers a very specific part of American evangelical Christian belief, and one that's politically contentious as well. Providing additional justification for a field trip, if anyone cared to take advantage of it.

Sure, one could create a very specific justification that could possibly hold up to scrunity but I think we both know the schools we are talking about are not doing this.

My point is that there is a very real difference between the context of a justification and the content of one. If a school had a balanced and thorough course that implemented numerous field trips to various religious locations I could not imagine a complaint against going to a creationist museum.

But that is not the issue, the issue is taking students to a creationist museum exclusively and justifying it as a lesson on different religions. Its patently arbitrary and a court would catch that. Context and intent matters in stuff like this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dabir posted:

It depends on what context you're visiting the place, if you're going there to treat it as a museum it probably should be illegal but if you're going there to learn how crazy people view the world it's an educational experience.

This is pretty much it. It can also be treated like an extended form of how many big city science museums will have exhibit rooms covering old and now known wrong exhibits they had, or which other people believed in - the teacher needs to be on the ball to explain why what they just saw is all crap, naturally.

It's also why physics students at my high school got to ride roller coasters at a theme park for a field trip while other science branch like biology didn't. You can create a pretty good lesson plan about roller coaster stuff for a physics class - biology and chemistry not so much.

On a surely unrelated note, boy we all loved doing and picking physics classes for some reason. Must have been coincidence.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sure, one could create a very specific justification that could possibly hold up to scrunity but I think we both know the schools we are talking about are not doing this.

My point is that there is a very real difference between the context of a justification and the content of one. If a school had a balanced and thorough course that implemented numerous field trips to various religious locations I could not imagine a complaint against going to a creationist museum.

But that is not the issue, the issue is taking students to a creationist museum exclusively and justifying it as a lesson on different religions. Its patently arbitrary and a court would catch that. Context and intent matters in stuff like this.

Uh, the "issue" is that people like you were going "it must be illegal, full stop", when like any field trip option it simply needs to have a real connection to something that's already being studied. And much like any other destinations, making it mandatory makes those requirements way more stringent.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 19, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fishmech posted:

You're embarrassing yourself.

Whereas you come off as a reasonable and good-natured person who's not at all childishly insisting on strict adherence to the letter of your interpretation of reality and other people's arguments, like a twelve-year-old clutching a D&D rulebook.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chantilly Say posted:

Whereas you come off as a reasonable and good-natured person who's not at all childishly insisting on strict adherence to the letter of your interpretation of reality and other people's arguments, like a twelve-year-old clutching a D&D rulebook.

There's no special interpretation, it's the actual body of law and precedent. Including how Kentucky says "it's legal, but you need a good reason". Spoiler alert : all field trips require a good reason to break from normal class time, else the district will be in violation.

Nice meltdown I guess?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fishmech posted:

Nice meltdown I guess?

Thanks! This means a lot, coming from you.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 19, 2016

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/LionelMedia/status/755163148114624512

Guys is this true?

Are we all going to make fun of Trump's wife tonight?

Was there a memo I missed? DAMNIT!

So, uh, did this guy write plagiarize Melania's speech?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Please stop replying to Fishmech. This is an incredibly stupid derail and when you quote him I and every other sensible person is exposed to his stupidity.

Thank you.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

The official RNC website had to shut down its chatroom after an outbreak of anti-Semitism

These captures came from Raw Story's site; appropriately enough, the filename for the first one was "Screenshot-88.png"

Dirt
May 26, 2003

That's Twitch isn't it? The chat was live the whole time I watched it.

edit: Ha maybe not. But twitch did basically the same thing. Chatrooms haven't gotten any better since the 90s.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Wait, he actually said this in person, and not in a tweet?

Jesus Christ, Trump, is Mussolini your goddamn role model?

Mussolini didn't promote ethnic cleansing or mass deportations of minorities from Italy. He just wanted to invade Ethiopia and Yugoslavia

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Dirt posted:

That's Twitch isn't it? The chat was live the whole time I watched it.

edit: Ha maybe not. But twitch did basically the same thing. Chatrooms haven't gotten any better since the 90s.

Na, it's bog standard Youtube live chat.

I almost wish Google had kept their real name policy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/TakedownMRAs/status/755197734005514240

Milo is a pathetic troll of a human being and should be ashamed of himself.

I feel bad for Ms. Jones, who seems like a good person that deserves better than to deal with this sort of crap.

But yes, of course...RACISM AND SEXISM ARE OVER GUYS!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/TakedownMRAs/status/755197734005514240

Milo is a pathetic troll of a human being and should be ashamed of himself.

I feel bad for Ms. Jones, who seems like a good person that deserves better than to deal with this sort of crap.

On the bright(ish) side, #LoveForLeslieJ was the top trending topic on Twitter for a little while tonight, and pretty much everyone universally thinks Milo is an rear end in a top hat. On the downside, a bunch of people are racist shitheads.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yoshifan823 posted:

On the bright(ish) side, #LoveForLeslieJ was the top trending topic on Twitter for a little while tonight, and pretty much everyone universally thinks Milo is an rear end in a top hat. On the downside, a bunch of people are racist shitheads.

I used to not consider myself a SJW, Feminist or all of those snarl words that assholes like toss out.

But...at this point? it's very hard NOT to be. What Happened to Leslie Jones was completely unacceptable in the year 20-loving-16, and frankly disgusting.

Christ I was apathetic as hell about this movie, but it's depressing as hell to see the reaction to it. You know Bill Murray, Akroyd, and others don't give a poo poo. Why should you? Why should you go out of your way to bitch out a women who's trying to making a living?

It's just depressing and soul destroying to see such hate come that side of the aisle lately.

Chandragupta
Sep 2, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Milo's twitter followers who are alt-right are openly racist and sexist. They don't believe these things are over, they think they are biological impulses being suppressed by a marxist government and media. I'm guessing her twitter was posted on pol or something because she has been getting some disgusting racist tweets directed at her for a while now. Milo loves this kind of attention and his career thrives on it. He can turn any legitimate criticism into "liberal marxists silencing me".

Chandragupta fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 19, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I used to not consider myself a SJW, Feminist or all of those snarl words that assholes like toss out.

But...at this point? it's very hard NOT to be. What Happened to Leslie Jones was completely unacceptable in the year 20-loving-16, and frankly disgusting.

Christ I was apathetic as hell about this movie, but it's depressing as hell to see the reaction to it. You know Bill Murray, Akroyd, and others don't give a poo poo. Why should you? Why should you go out of your way to bitch out a women who's trying to making a living?

It's just depressing and soul destroying to see such hate come that side of the aisle lately.
pretty much. yeah, the movie poo poo and cheap cash in with terrible script and awful PR and a director who uses ad-libbing to replace actual writing or comedy.(my entire thoughts were basically summed up in the RLM review of it) but i dont blame the actresses for it. its a job and they probably had a good time doing it. good for them. wish the movie had turned out better. dipshits going full /pol/ on an actress is just depressing.

Chandragupta posted:

Milo's twitter followers who are alt-right are openly racist and sexist. They don't believe these things are over, they think they are biological impulses being suppressed by a marxist government and media. I'm guessing her twitter was posted on pol or something because she has been getting some disgusting racist tweets directed at her for a while now. Milo loves this kind of attention and his career thrives on it. He can turn any legitimate criticism into "liberal marxists silencing me".

one thing being the alt-right has very skewed and shallow/hosed up idea of what masculinity is. to them its all about appearance of power and strength, or the appearance of culture and intelligence or the appearance of chivalry and honor. its all about appearance. My girlfriend has bunch of lizards including a chameleon named pascal(original i know but her frogs are hoppy and sticky and one of the snakes is slithers) and she calls chameleons the MRAs of lizards/reptiles. Because it is constantly angry when ever it sees another male(of any species) It puffs up and turns black and hisses and appears to be tough. all the poo poo the alt right does is like the chameleon, an "act" so to speak to look tough because they are pissy. most of them dont feel tough so they pretend tobe. its why they toss around "virtue signalling" because its what they do and they are projecting. I mean david aurini is the perfect example of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY172rzvbWE

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 19, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ZDar Fan posted:

The official RNC website had to shut down its chatroom after an outbreak of anti-Semitism

These captures came from Raw Story's site; appropriately enough, the filename for the first one was "Screenshot-88.png"

Hah, christ.

I was noticing the same thing in the Twitch stream when I tuned in briefly. 3/4ths of the chat was just people spamming MAGA and the other quarter was explicit racism.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hah, christ.

I was noticing the same thing in the Twitch stream when I tuned in briefly. 3/4ths of the chat was just people spamming MAGA and the other quarter was explicit racism.

That's weird, when I watched the Twitch stream I was surprised by how civil it was, mostly just mocking the GOP. May have been because I tuned in during the after Melania speakers.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KiteAuraan posted:

That's weird, when I watched the Twitch stream I was surprised by how civil it was, mostly just mocking the GOP. May have been because I tuned in during the after Melania speakers.

Yeah this was much earlier today, during the Five Minutes of Chaos when they were blocking the roll call vote

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ZDar Fan posted:

Why bother? They've made hatred of pretty much every other ethnic group besides the pastiest of whites their official platform. What's one more going to change? Do they think drawing the line a Jewish hatred is really going to make a difference when they court every other type of bigot?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always wanted to participate in one of these fishmech shitfits I have heard so much about

Looks like you got your wish.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geostomp posted:

Why bother? They've made hatred of pretty much every other ethnic group besides the pastiest of whites their official platform. What's one more going to change? Do they think drawing the line a Jewish hatred is really going to make a difference when they court every other type of bigot?

Because Hitler?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's crazyworld poo poo that like all 500k of milo's followers are just pretty much openly racist, idk how you can justify "free speech robocop lol" when you're transparently looking at people calling her vile poo poo and saying "whatever"

then again it doesn't surprise me that a self hating gay jewish guy needs to get his jollies like this. he was pretty much just making fake retweets of poo poo too so who knows, maybe he'll actually get some libel poo poo thrown on him this time since jack dorsey was publicly following what happened.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Iron Crowned posted:

Because Hitler?

The number of people who have completely ignored open fascism to this point, but would be turned off by him turning his attention to Jewish people has to be so small as to be completely irrelevant.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

SedanChair posted:

Just a dumb thing where he tried to look crazier than Alex Jones. I don't know anything he does, maybe it would have made sense if I did.

This is more representative of Eric Andre's political commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLsMaEVdwQ

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah sorry. I should have abandoned ship much earlier than when I did.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is from yesterday,

But this is not how I wanted to learn that Maureen Dowd was a Pulitzer Prize recipient.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So for all the idiots going on and on about jail, I can never seem to get an answer on any legitimate charge.

I just get bleats of TREASON or EMAILS....but nothing substantive.

Such a strange thing to have a strong opinion on, with no understanding of how the legal system works at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BiggerBoat posted:

Perhaps people should stop trying to be willfully ignorant of the law in their rush to be angry at the literally mentally impaired Australian dude who thinks building some tiny rear end "ark" will prove to people that fitting every animal on that thing is possible?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LloydDobler posted:

This is more representative of Eric Andre's political commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeLsMaEVdwQ

OK that is magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

I saw the movie. I wasn't crazy about it, but it was a fun movie. Being a kid who grew up on the Murray Ghostbusters, this movie wasn't ever going to please me entirely, though. That being said, I thought Leslie's role felt like Hollywood blacksploitation.

I don't know, maybe that type of character actually is common as gently caress in New York? Just saying, how come the black woman gotta be the sassy subway clerk and all the scientists are white?

quote:

"But Chili, it's because Winston from the first movie was black and was the not-scientist..."

*audible fart sound*

They changed so much about the nature of the Egon/Ray/Pete characters, that this argument is flat out moot.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 19, 2016