Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

If Ailes is getting pushed out by Murdoch that means the allegations of sexual harassment are true, yes? Or is he being booted for another reason?

I really hope that it is Murdoch getting scared as gently caress over trump/brexit and wanting to move his stuff further left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Lester Shy posted:

I'm inclined to agree with Sherman here; I really can't imagine any of these people would leave their extremely lucrative jobs out of loyalty to Ailes, but I don't know anything about the TV business.

Yeah, this is most definitely what's happening. The documents that got posted then taken down said that Ailes was gone effective on 7/22 which is this Friday. That makes a lot of sense since Friday evening is where people attempt to bury news stories.

So if Ailes is in the final stages of being shoved out the door then it would make sense that he might try to pull a last minute power play out of his rear end by strategically leaking things that are beneficial to him.

Ailes was a media consultant for Richard Nixon. This kind of thing is his bread and butter. I don't think it's gonna work, though.

The Murdoch kids have been itching to get rid of him for a while. The animosity between them is well-documented.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

A giant fissure in Fox News is pretty much the last thing republicans need right now. I hope Ailes does start his own channel. A house divided.

I've got some bad news for you. The only things Ailes was doing that the Murdochs didn't care for were the very overt racism, islamophobia, and nationalism. Being sensationalist, conservative, and terrible at journalism is still going to tolerated just as it is in the rest of the News Corp empire.

What's going to happen is that over the next few years FNC will start to feel more like CNN. They'll probably still skew older and more Republican, but they're going to broaden their appeal by removing the most controversial elements.

All the top talent is also probably on multi-year contracts and they're doing okay in the ratings. Ailes being gone will have a big impact over the long term, but don't think like you're gonna wake up tomorrow and it's going to be MSNBC. Remember Murdoch also owns WSJ.

This probably won't have any real impact on this election, either.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 20, 2016

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ErIog posted:

I've got some bad news for you. The only things Ailes was doing that the Murdochs didn't care for were the very overt racism, islamophobia, and nationalism. Being sensationalist, partisan, and terrible at journalism are still going to tolerated just as they are in the rest of the News Corp empire.

What's going to happen is that over the next few years FNC will start to feel more like CNN. They'll probably still skew older and more Republican, but they're going to broaden their appeal by removing the most controversial elements.

All the top talent is also probably on multi-year contracts and they're doing okay in the ratings. Ailes being gone will have a big impact over the long term, but don't think like you're gonna wake up tomorrow and it's going to be MSNBC.

This probably won't have any real impact on this election, either.

Here's the thing that a lot of people aren't getting about the republican party: without overt racism, Islamaphobia, and nationalism they're basically 'democrats but worse'. They absolutely need those things, they're vital to keeping the conservative alliance together. They're not something that can just be dumped, or they'll start losing elections. If you wanna chase out the racists and the homophobes, fine, but then the only people left in the clubhouse is a handful of rich people who everyone hates and the game is up.

EDIT: A Fox News that's CNN lite won't make it.

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 20, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Here's the thing that a lot of people aren't getting about the republican party: without overt racism, Islamaphobia, and nationalism they're basically 'democrats but worse'. They absolutely need those things, they're vital to keeping the conservative alliance together. They're not something that can just be dumped, or they'll start losing elections. If you wanna chase out the racists and the homophobes, fine, but then the only people left in the clubhouse is a handful of rich people who everyone hates and the game is up.

You're confusing FNC with the Republican party. The Murdochs care about ratings, circulation, and branding. They don't give a poo poo about being partisan shills to help out the GOP. There's certain agendas and issues they'll push in venues it makes sense to push them in, but they're not really partisan. They take a larger view. This is how you can have Seth MacFarlane getting into a spat with Sarah Palin while Op Eds in the WSJ talk about addressing climate change from a conservative perspective.

Ailes also wasn't as interested in helping the GOP as he was interested in controlling it through FNC. People always think FNC is the mouth piece of the GOP. It's really not that way. FNC was and always has been a tool for Ailes to attempt to sway the party elite by moving the conservative base against them. He'll cheerlead when necessary because that's what partisans do, but he's also going to bring out the big guns in attacking Marco Rubio for attempting to do anything with immigration reform or attacking anything that looks like support for same sex anything.

You're right that the GOP needs overtly racist, homophobic, islamophobic voters to survive. FNC doesn't, though.

EDIT: A Fox News that's CNN lite won't make it.

In ~10 years the majority of FNC's audience will be dead. They have picked up very few new younger viewers in the last decade. Their demographics keep inching up year after year.

So you can say that a CNN lite won't work, but current Fox as it exists can't work either. Cable TV, as a business, is probably going to suffer a similar fate to the print industry.

With younger people experiencing more and more media over the internet there's less of an audience for anything on cable including news.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 20, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/755585789711437824

and nothing of value was lost!

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

quote:

We know many people believe we have not done enough to curb this type of behavior on Twitter. We agree. We are continuing to invest heavily in improving our tools and enforcement systems to better allow us to identify and take faster action on abuse as it’s happening and prevent repeat offenders. We have been in the process of reviewing our hateful conduct policy to prohibit additional types of abusive behavior and allow more types of reporting, with the goal of reducing the burden on the person being targeted. We’ll provide more details on those changes in the coming weeks.

They'd loving better.

And now, the freeze peach meltdown begins.

:shepicide:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

It'll just give him more material to whine about, but losing his biggest venue and doing the same for other alt-right assholes is a long-overdue welcome change.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

and nothing of value was lost!

Man, wow. Ailes firing really starting to happen and Milo being banned from Twitter. Today is awesome.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

If Ailes is getting pushed out by Murdoch that means the allegations of sexual harassment are true, yes? Or is he being booted for another reason?

I don't think there was ever any question that the sexual harassment allegations were true. There's been enough reporting on him and FNC over the years that Gretchen Carlson's description of events wasn't really shocking or surprising.

I also bet the Murdochs knew about a lot of it, but didn't care so much as long as ratings were good and there weren't any lawsuits. Now there's a lawsuit and also Murdoch kids wanting to take over FNC.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It'll just give him more material to whine about.

You think he's gonna use Breitbart's press pass again to crash the next White House press conference to bitch at Jay Carney again for getting perma'd? Or is this gonna be the push that kicks off that long-coming self-destructive bender now that he's lost his megaphone to his alt-right drones?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

About loving time. Hopefully Facebook and the rest are next.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

nine-gear crow posted:

You think he's gonna use Breitbart's press pass again to crash the next White House press conference to bitch at Jay Carney again for getting perma'd? Or is this gonna be the push that kicks off that long-coming self-destructive bender now that he's lost his megaphone to his alt-right drones?

The former, definitely, if only as a desperate stunt to show off. The latter comes if he can't find another way to gain the audience that keeps him from fully collapsing into his self-loathing.

SeANMcBAY posted:

About loving time. Hopefully Facebook and the rest are next.

I doubt Facebook will follow any time soon. At least not as they are now that the right wingers were able to annoy them into posting conservative "news" to placate their persecution complex.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

When will we be hitting Peak Schadenfreude?

Well.. go to Twitter and look for @nero, I think.

Check... and mate.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Geostomp posted:

I doubt Facebook will follow any time soon. At least not as they are now that the right wingers were able to annoy them into posting conservative "news" to placate their persecution complex.

Fully 80% of Facebook's traffic now is angry conservative middle-aged dipshits. Milo is like catnip for FB.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/pointclickbait/status/755592919826833408

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Some choice words from the highest of the high quality places for opinions on the internet, /r/The_Donald

quote:

Twitter allows accounts for ISIS members to communicate with each other, but bans conservatives for speech that a small percentage of the population declared "offensive".

quote:

Well boys, it appears @jack the cuck is back at it again, censoring conservatives while giving an outlet for free speech to terrorist organizations.

Is this really the line they're going with?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

McGlockenshire posted:

Some choice words from the highest of the high quality places for opinions on the internet, /r/The_Donald

Is this really the line they're going with?

Admit it, you aren't surprised.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

nice. bye bye fuckface. I am sure a shitstorm will happen now. they going to try to make a conservative twitter?

nine-gear crow posted:

who knows, I honestly believe the fucker will be found dead in a hotel room with a rope around his neck and dick with a needle in his arm outside of decade. Milo is only useful to the alt right out of power, if they get in power, he is gone, they dont want any gays around. Sure ill admit, i dont like some of the people he doesnt like. but what the gently caress did jones do? yeah that movie sucked, but that wasnt her fault(or any of the actress fault really), it was feige and the writers. and the alt right doesnt even hate it for the right reasons, for them its just another circle jerk about how all women are ______(insert something negative).

either way, get hosed milo.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I mean he does have kind of a point. Maybe letting terrorists use twitter as a platform shouldn't be a thing, In spite of it's intelligence value.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

He would be bad with anybody in the room. He was not ready to be on that stage at all and demonstrated it handily.

Yeah, Rubio got as far as he did because he's young, good looking, and can deliver scripted messages well. Everyone assumed, not unreasonably, that he had average brainpower and thus would be a potent candidate. That narrative was helped when he dunked hard on Jeb!, but then he got exposed as one of the absolute worst onstage presences in a primary that included Ben Carson and Scott Walker. Then Chris Christie murdered him on live television.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

It'll just give him more material to whine about, but losing his biggest venue and doing the same for other alt-right assholes is a long-overdue welcome change.

He'll actually take it as a grievous attack because he is loving obsessed about his twitter status. He is still hungry for that check mark, and now he's permanently exiled depending on how many sock puppets he tries to pull.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Well.. go to Twitter and look for @nero, I think.

Check... and mate.

Getting closer, but don't think we're quite there yet.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sometimes the universe seems sad and broken.

Then a small shift of light comes through, like a pillar of goodness in the world.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
A bit more from reddit.

quote:

quote:

I am tired of taking the high road. Maybe its time we took a page out of the libtards dirty play book and turned the tables on these fascists fucks. Riot, loot, block the employee parking lot of Twatters corporate offices, blm style.

We would never do that though. It is liberal nature to do that type of poo poo, cry like a baby and do ineffective poo poo when they don't get their way.

Yes, no physical action is suitable here. We shall continue to shitpost!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

I mean he does have kind of a point. Maybe letting terrorists use twitter as a platform shouldn't be a thing, In spite of it's intelligence value.

You do know it's not because they think terrorist speech is protected, right?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

At the start of this year Twitter announced they had banned roughly 125,000 Twitter accounts tied to ISIS. If anything they should ban more alt-right shitheads to keep parity.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God I'm so happy Milo is gone, gently caress yeah

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

You do know it's not because they think terrorist speech is protected, right?

Intelligence value was my guess.

Angry_Ed posted:

At the start of this year Twitter announced they had banned roughly 125,000 Twitter accounts tied to ISIS. If anything they should ban more alt-right shitheads to keep parity.

I had not heard this. Good. Also agreed that they should ban more alt-right poo poo heads, bonus points if somebody gets their work IP banned

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Considering everything we know about Ailes it's likely true and then some, but this is also a great opportunity to get rid of him because Fox is losing it's stranglehold grip on the market, and Murdoch wants to pass power down to one of his sons.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
what an amazing week

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

I've seen people suggesting that every one of his 400k followers should get a blanket auto-ban to help drain the swamp that Twitter's become.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Getting closer, but don't think we're quite there yet.

Gary Marshall died of sadness, and it's Chachi's fault for being on that stage?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I've seen people suggesting that every one of his 400k followers should get a blanket auto-ban to help drain the swamp that Twitter's become.

Well in sure some of those are tech reporters and not actual

Nevermind ban all those fucks.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Wait, wait. I've got a new one.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/755601024908300288

Yeah, Donald Jr rewrote his speech too.

Have we hit max yet?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is going to be impossible for anyone to understand unless they follow noted horrible pro wrestling promotion TNA and the insanely great/awful storyline of the Hardy Boys feuding with each other, but basically Matt Hardy went crazy after losing a title and started refering to his brother Jeff as "Brother Nero" and pledged to "delete" him, which he did in a batshit crazy backyard wrestling match involving drones, holograms, fireworks a dilapidated boat etc. a week or so ago. So this made me laugh like an idiot today

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/755589702799986689?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

and the match/segment in question if you want your brain to melt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBCU8wELJAA

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://gifsound.com/?gif=i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/019/916/tumblr_mufldcvo5o1sifnyko1_400.gif&v=VbxgYlcNxE8&s=839

:dance:

Small volume warning.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 20, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

Wait, wait. I've got a new one.
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/755601024908300288

Yeah, Donald Jr rewrote his speech too.

Have we hit max yet?

Apparently Frank Buckley helped write Don Jr.'s speech. He just copy and pasted poo poo he'd already wrote into it. So it's not plagiarism, it's just incredibly loving lazy.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The number of people who think the first amendment forces private businesses to broadcast random bullshit against their wishes astounds me.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I like how the reflection in milo's super cool badass glasses is his loving iPhone

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently Frank Buckley helped write Don Jr.'s speech. He just copy and pasted poo poo he'd already wrote into it. So it's not plagiarism, it's just incredibly loving lazy.

Activists from Black Lives Matter, Westboro Baptist Church and the KKK were in the square and, at one time, were said to be throwing urine at each other.
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/32479326/watch-live-black-lives-matter-protest-near-east-4th-st

How bout this?

https://twitter.com/YAppelbaum/status/755492543782129665

Not sure if this means they booked him. Ah, well. There'll be more shadenfreude tomorrow.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

God drat, what's Fitzy gotta do to prove he's the guy in New York?