Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Can you fish to the 2 gang box at the front of garage?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Alright so yesterday took me a bit longer than I expected. I completely ripped out the ceiling light fixture because the ballast looked like it was from the 70s and I remember when I worked at a pharmacy as a kid, a ballast exploded into flames and caused a decent fire. So anyway I hung up a new 8' ceiling light fixture and wired it up. So there is no longer two 4' lights; it's just one long 8' one. And I unhooked EVERYTHING after doing that, and here is what I have:

I am guessing the most obvious thing is I should hook 10 to 3, 11 to 2, and 12 to 1 in the junction box, and 3 to 5 in front of the garage (via pigtail), but again, I wanted to leave everything completely disconnected for this.

Also you might notice a slight change. There is no longer 2 sets of wires going to the flood light box. I managed to pull one of them out. One of them was going to the junction box and I think it was acting as a lazy way for the electrician to get power to the ceiling light fixture. I really did not want two wires in there. So I simply took one set of wires out. I am ready to buy any length run of electrical cable that I need, so if I need to buy any, just say so!

So long story short, there is my diagram, and all I need to know is what needs to be wired to what and I will be all set! Bonus thanks if you can explain how I can use the 3rd empty gang in the back of the garage as an outlet, but it is not the end of the world if it's too complex.

Again, I can easily run new wire down to that 3 gang box from any of the fixtures (except from the 2 gang box in the front of the garage) so whatever needs to be done, I am all ears.

Thank you all so much as always for any help you can provide!

without any additional wiring, this would get you the ceiling switched at the front, and and outlet and working flood (which is always on, but I thought it was supposed to be since it has a motion sensor. If you wanted to switch it in the back box you could by inserting it where the blacks connect to wire 9). Cap off wire 12, you don't need it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

angryrobots posted:

Can you fish to the 2 gang box at the front of garage?

Honestly not without taking walls down. I had no problem bashing my ceiling open but on the other side of the walls is our kitchen and living room.

I think the difficulty in running anything to that front 2 gang box is why the three way switch is "extended" in that junction box.

What did you have in mind?

Qwijib0 posted:

without any additional wiring, this would get you the ceiling switched at the front, and and outlet and working flood (which is always on, but I thought it was supposed to be since it has a motion sensor). Cap off wire 12, you don't need it.

Wow. Thank you. I will be able to give this a shot in about an hour I'll report back!

Just so I know I'm reading this right, I won't be able to turn the ceiling fixture on or off at the back of the garage? Just wondering what the three way switch is even for then.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 20, 2016

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
This diagram shows a correct wiring to get your ceiling light working with the three way switches.

Again, I can easily run new wire down to that 3 gang box from any of the fixtures (except from the 2 gang box in the front of the garage) so whatever needs to be done, I am all ears.

Bad news: running new wire from the 2 gang box is exactly what you need to do. You're one conductor short to have both a three way switch and an always on leaving that box.

Given everything else, at this point my best guess would be that your flood light used to be powered by a suicide cord plugged into the outlet that used to be in that 3 way box.

edit:
Yup, suicide cord:

However, now there is an outlet in the ceiling right next to the garage door mechanism that it plugs right into. So previously, they just had a huge-rear end extension cord going across the ceiling to the 3 gang box to power the garage door mechanism. I am not sure what made them change it to an outlet right next to the mechanism in the ceiling; my guess is that it wasn't legal to sell the house that way so they had to have it added. And perhaps this is why the ceiling light and flood light worked when we first saw the house, then when we got the house those lights stopped working.

You had it backwards, they weren't powering the garage door from the three gang box, they were powering the three gang box from the garage door outlet.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 20, 2016

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Alright so yesterday took me a bit longer than I expected. I completely ripped out the ceiling light fixture because the ballast looked like it was from the 70s and I remember when I worked at a pharmacy as a kid, a ballast exploded into flames and caused a decent fire. So anyway I hung up a new 8' ceiling light fixture and wired it up. So there is no longer two 4' lights; it's just one long 8' one. And I unhooked EVERYTHING after doing that, and here is what I have:

I am guessing the most obvious thing is I should hook 10 to 3, 11 to 2, and 12 to 1 in the junction box, and 3 to 5 in front of the garage (via pigtail), but again, I wanted to leave everything completely disconnected for this.

Also you might notice a slight change. There is no longer 2 sets of wires going to the flood light box. I managed to pull one of them out. One of them was going to the junction box and I think it was acting as a lazy way for the electrician to get power to the ceiling light fixture. I really did not want two wires in there. So I simply took one set of wires out. I am ready to buy any length run of electrical cable that I need, so if I need to buy any, just say so!

So long story short, there is my diagram, and all I need to know is what needs to be wired to what and I will be all set! Bonus thanks if you can explain how I can use the 3rd empty gang in the back of the garage as an outlet, but it is not the end of the world if it's too complex.

Thank you all so much as always for any help you can provide!

Where's this box?

It looks like that wire you ripped out from the ceiling junction box to the flood light was the supplying hot for the flood light and that the yellow cable in your diagram was for a switch leg. It also looks like the previous owner wanted that flood light so much that they screwed up the 3 way switching to do it, running more wires than was necessary.

As is, there's no way for your 3 way switching to work properly. Without adding any wires, the best you could do is have each light on separate 2-way switches while still having an outlet at the back of garage box. If you want 3 way switches at the front and back of the garage to turn on the ceiling light, and also assuming that box you left out is a straight coupling for all wires inside, then you could have an outlet at the back of garage box just by running a single run of /2 cable of proper gauge from the front of garage box to the back of garage box.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

Where's this box?

It looks like that wire you ripped out from the ceiling junction box to the flood light was the supplying hot for the flood light and that the yellow cable in your diagram was for a switch leg. It also looks like the previous owner wanted that flood light so much that they screwed up the 3 way switching to do it, running more wires than was necessary.

As is, there's no way for your 3 way switching to work properly. Without adding any wires, the best you could do is have each light on separate 2-way switches while still having an outlet at the back of garage box. If you want 3 way switches at the front and back of the garage to turn on the ceiling light, and also assuming that box you left out is a straight coupling for all wires inside, then you could have an outlet at the back of garage box just by running a single run of /2 cable of proper gauge from the front of garage box to the back of garage box.

Yeah that small rectangular box is a little bit further down in the ceiling towards the front of the garage. I guess used as a simple way to get that wire to extend to the back of the garage.

Not being able to use the three way switch isn't the end of the world. I still wonder what the hell the previous owners were doing and how they got it all to work though!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Yeah that small rectangular box is a little bit further down in the ceiling towards the front of the garage. I guess used as a simple way to get that wire to extend to the back of the garage.

Not being able to use the three way switch isn't the end of the world. I still wonder what the hell the previous owners were doing and how they got it all to work though!

Have you taken the cover off that box and verified that?

Don't forget that you still need to expose and mount those 2 boxes properly and you also need GFCI tamper proof outlets. You might have to replace some of those cables if there isn't enough slack to move the boxes to the surface. It's also possible to use your switch at the back of the garage instead of the front for the ceiling light. Basically you would put the switch at the other box and swap the red wires used.

Edit: also use wire nuts to cap off both ends of whichever red wire you end up not using.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 20, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

You could buy a half inch flexibit, cut a hole in the wall a few studs over directly underneath the switch box, drill horizontally over to where the existing box is, then thread the wore through and patch the hole. It sounds like a lot, but that is the best solution I can think of for you.

Following up on this, the basic procedure would be to open up the box containing the switch, pigtail some NMC to the "input" (always powered) side of the switch, feed said NMC down to where I've opened up the drywall, then feed it sideways through the drilled hole to the outlet. Hook the other ends of the NMC up to the receptacle I want to be always powered, while hooking the existing cable up to the receptacle I want to be switched. And while I'm down there, figure out if I have a cheating ground. Does that sound about right?

If I do have a cheating ground, can I just attach the ground to the (metal) kitchen piping? I mean, if the ground is cheated, then it's probably cheated in other outlets throughout the house, and fixing that would be comparable to rewiring the house anyway: something that needs doing, but not something that I really feel up to tackling (both financially and in terms of stress it would add to my life) in the immediate moment.

...stupid homeownership. At least I already have everything I need (NMC, spare boxes if I need more room, wire nuts, drywall tools/patches/mud) except for the flexible drill bit.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Following up on this, the basic procedure would be to open up the box containing the switch, pigtail some NMC to the "input" (always powered) side of the switch, feed said NMC down to where I've opened up the drywall, then feed it sideways through the drilled hole to the outlet. Hook the other ends of the NMC up to the receptacle I want to be always powered, while hooking the existing cable up to the receptacle I want to be switched. And while I'm down there, figure out if I have a cheating ground. Does that sound about right?

If I do have a cheating ground, can I just attach the ground to the (metal) kitchen piping? I mean, if the ground is cheated, then it's probably cheated in other outlets throughout the house, and fixing that would be comparable to rewiring the house anyway: something that needs doing, but not something that I really feel up to tackling (both financially and in terms of stress it would add to my life) in the immediate moment.

...stupid homeownership. At least I already have everything I need (NMC, spare boxes if I need more room, wire nuts, drywall tools/patches/mud) except for the flexible drill bit.

It's just "NM". With that old cloth-insulated wire, I would honestly replace the run of cable with some 12-3. Use the black wire for always hot and red for the switched hot. The problem you will run into is that GFCI requirement for the dishwasher and that the duplex on GFCI outlets can't be split.

A cheating ground is wiring the ground to the neutral wire. Still, one way electricians grounded steel boxes in the past was to attach the ground wires on the gang screws outside the box. Test for a circuit between the hot wire and the box itself.

The only way you could ground that box like that is if the clamps for both the ground wire for your panel and this new outlet are both clamped within 6 feet of your water's service entrance. That update came as a result of PEX and CPVC coming out.

Do you have an oscillating tool or a pocket hacksaw? They're great for removing original boxes out their existing holes in the wall. Basically, you pry on the stud side of the box a bit, stick your tool in the gap, cut through the 2 nails on the top and bottom holding the box to the stud, remove the clamps in the box holding the wires, then work the box out of the hole.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

Have you taken the cover off that box and verified that?

Don't forget that you still need to expose and mount those 2 boxes properly and you also need GFCI tamper proof outlets. You might have to replace some of those cables if there isn't enough slack to move the boxes to the surface. It's also possible to use your switch at the back of the garage instead of the front for the ceiling light. Basically you would put the switch at the other box and swap the red wires used.

Edit: also use wire nuts to cap off both ends of whichever red wire you end up not using.

Yeah I definitely would rather have the switch for the ceiling fixture at the back of the garage. So what would I do with the front? Make it two separate outlets instead of an outlet and a switch? If so, that's fine as four outlets there would be nice anyway.

So with that in mind, and with me wanting two switches and an outlet at the back of the garage, how would my wiring diagram look? If you are in no position to mess around with Paint right now I understand.

(I am going to do all that gfi and exposed box stuff you recommended by the way)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

I went back and reviewed your past posts. Contrary to my previous suggestion of "suicide cord", I'm stumped - the way that hidden junction box & your floodlight were wired at the beginning of your adventure, there wasn't any way the flood light could be powered while the garage lights weren't. Also, way, way back you were getting continuity between a traveler and ground, which I can't make sense of either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

It's just "NM". With that old cloth-insulated wire, I would honestly replace the run of cable with some 12-3. Use the black wire for always hot and red for the switched hot. The problem you will run into is that GFCI requirement for the dishwasher and that the duplex on GFCI outlets can't be split.

Well, worst case I can install a second outlet next to the first one, and just have one switched outlet and one always-on.

quote:

A cheating ground is wiring the ground to the neutral wire. Still, one way electricians grounded steel boxes in the past was to attach the ground wires on the gang screws outside the box. Test for a circuit between the hot wire and the box itself.

The only way you could ground that box like that is if the clamps for both the ground wire for your panel and this new outlet are both clamped within 6 feet of your water's service entrance. That update came as a result of PEX and CPVC coming out.

Noted re: testing ground. As for grounding to pipe, I understand that's not ideal, but given that I have a setup that's already not to code (for example, the kitchen shares a circuit with another room), I'm trying to figure out what the safest temporary solution would be (that doesn't involve just having no electricity at all) while I prepare to get the entire house rewired. Presumably a large chunk of metal pipe would make a better ground than a small metal box, right? I assume that the plumbing dates back to the 50's; certainly none of the pipes I've seen have been plastic.

quote:

Do you have an oscillating tool or a pocket hacksaw? They're great for removing original boxes out their existing holes in the wall. Basically, you pry on the stud side of the box a bit, stick your tool in the gap, cut through the 2 nails on the top and bottom holding the box to the stud, remove the clamps in the box holding the wires, then work the box out of the hole.

I have an oscillating tool, yes. Thanks for the suggestion.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well, worst case I can install a second outlet next to the first one, and just have one switched outlet and one always-on.
I recall reading something about cord- and-plug connected appliances cannot exceed 50% of branch circuit amp rating.

Possibly an issue depending on the size of your particular appliances, or am I interpreting it wrong?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Yeah I definitely would rather have the switch for the ceiling fixture at the back of the garage. So what would I do with the front? Make it two separate outlets instead of an outlet and a switch? If so, that's fine as four outlets there would be nice anyway.

So with that in mind, and with me wanting two switches and an outlet at the back of the garage, how would my wiring diagram look? If you are in no position to mess around with Paint right now I understand.

(I am going to do all that gfi and exposed box stuff you recommended by the way)

Here's the diagram. You could use a GFCI and regular outlet at the front to save some money. Just use the load terminals on the GFCI to power the regular outlet beside it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Couldn't you just use 1 GFCI and 2 regular outlets?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I recall reading something about cord- and-plug connected appliances cannot exceed 50% of branch circuit amp rating.

Possibly an issue depending on the size of your particular appliances, or am I interpreting it wrong?

Hm, in practice it wouldn't be an issue, since the dishwasher and garbage disposal are never really used at the same time (the disposal hardly ever gets used, in fact), but that's just because of my usage patterns and wouldn't necessarily hold for a hypothetical future owner.

I have no idea what kind of amperage they draw. For that matter I don't know what the rating is on the circuit.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If I can find an earlier outlet on the circuit I can just slap a GFCI on there and protect the entire thing. In that case I wouldn't need two outlets under the sink; I could have a single half-switched outlet. But then the question becomes determining what is upstream from the switch, given that we've already established that the circuits in this house are weird.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^I believe hashtag's question was about the wiring diagram for the other guy.

Hey kid sinister, what say you about the 50% rule with the dishwasher and disposal? Curious for my own use.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

Here's the diagram. You could use a GFCI and regular outlet at the front to save some money. Just use the load terminals on the GFCI to power the regular outlet beside it.

Wow dude. Not having lights in my garage or in my yard has been an aggravating nuisance since we bought this home years ago and you completely fixed it for me in one PNG file. I now have four outlets up front, two in the back, and both switches control two entire different lights that both now work perfectly.

The only interesting thing of note is that when I trip the gfci outlet at the front, nothing else seems to turn off. I'll explore that one next time but for now you and everyone who replied to me to help is a saint and I hope there will be some way I can reciprocate in the future.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

He could, but then he'd end up with a weird situation where the lights will go out if the GFCI trips. It's generally advisable to avoid that if possible. In his case, it would cost him less than $20 extra.

angryrobots posted:

Hey kid sinister, what say you about the 50% rule with the dishwasher and disposal? Curious for my own use.

da codebook posted:

210.23 Permissible Loads, Multiple-Outlet Branch Circuits.
In no case shall the load exceed the branch-circuit
ampere rating. A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets
or receptacles shall supply only the loads specified
according to its size as specified in 210.23(A) through (D)
and as summarized in 210.24 and Table 210.24.

(A) 15- and 20-Ampere Branch Circuits.
A 15- or
20-ampere branch circuit shall be permitted to supply
lighting units or other utilization equipment, or a combination
of both, and shall comply with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

(2) Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place. The total
rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than
luminaires, shall not exceed 50 percent of the branch circuit
ampere rating where lighting units, cord-and-plug connected
utilization equipment not fastened in place, or
both, are also supplied.

You would have to add up the wattages of your disposal and dishwasher. Applying Ohm's Law to a 20A circuit: 120V x 20A = 2400W total, so half would be 1200W. I suppose you could make an argument that this section doesn't apply to portable dishwashers though.

But if you separate them:

da codebook again posted:

210.22 Permissible Loads, Individual Branch Circuits.
An individual branch circuit shall be permitted to supply
any load for which it is rated, but in no case shall the load
exceed the branch-circuit ampere rating.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 20, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I guess what I could do is take existing input cable to the switch, disconnect it from the switch, connect it to the cable I run to power the dishwasher, and then use the neutral for the dishwasher as the new input to the switch? That way the switch would be downstream of the dishwasher -- that is, there'd be no branch in the circuit. Seems like a weird way to wire things up though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The only interesting thing of note is that when I trip the gfci outlet at the front, nothing else seems to turn off. I'll explore that one next time but for now you and everyone who replied to me to help is a saint and I hope there will be some way I can reciprocate in the future.

Then it has nothing on its load terminals, easy as that.

I guess what I could do is take existing input cable to the switch, disconnect it from the switch, connect it to the cable I run to power the dishwasher, and then use the neutral for the dishwasher as the new input to the switch? That way the switch would be downstream of the dishwasher -- that is, there'd be no branch in the circuit. Seems like a weird way to wire things up though.

Too late, there are at least 3 boxes on this circuit already serving multiple rooms. It already "branched".

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 20, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

kid sinister posted:

You would have to add up the wattages of your disposal and dishwasher. Applying Ohm's Law to a 20A circuit: 120V x 20A = 2400W total, so half would be 1200W. I suppose you could make an argument that this section doesn't apply to portable dishwashers though.
I missed that it was a portable unit, yeah should be good if it's not "fastened in place". My understanding is that some inspectors are giving grief about both disposal and dishwasher being plugged in, because even if currently under 50% they could easily exceed it changing out appliances later.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My dishwasher isn't portable; it's an under-counter unit with a power cable running behind the cabinets to under the sink. As I understand it, as long as the dishwasher can be securely turned off (either by a switch or by unplugging it), the setup should be legal.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

My dishwasher isn't portable; it's an under-counter unit with a power cable running behind the cabinets to under the sink. As I understand it, as long as the dishwasher can be securely turned off (either by a switch or by unplugging it), the setup should be legal.

Technically, no. That is "fastened in place", so that rule does apply. Now there is an exception for small appliance circuits in the kitchen, but that's for little portable stuff that sits on the counter.

Honestly, for your situation, I would just jury rig it safely for now, then do your major electrical rework at a later date. If your dishwasher and disposal start tripping the breaker when ran together, then I would start thinking about doing it proper.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 20, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

Then it has nothing on its load terminals, easy as that.

Makes sense. Thank you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Technically, no. That is "fastened in place", so that rule does apply. Now there is an exception for small appliance circuits in the kitchen, but that's for little portable stuff that sits on the counter.

Er, sorry, yeah, I was referring to the legality of having a dishwasher permanently plugged into an outlet, not to the split capacity of the circuit branches.

quote:

Honestly, for your situation, I would just jury rig it safely for now, then do your major electrical rework at a later date. If your dishwasher and disposal start tripping the breaker when ran together, then I would start thinking about doing it proper.

That's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well. I'd like to redo all the wiring in this house for extra peace of mind, but it's going to have to wait.

Any opinion on whether my idea to "linearize" the circuit (going dishwasher -> switch -> disposal) is workable? It would avoid any branching at the cost of adding extra wire nuts. As far as I can tell, there shouldn't be any issue, but I'll freely admit to not being an expert on these matters.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Makes sense. Thank you

Last piece of advice: it might be hard to find a switch/switch/GFCI plate for the back of the garage. If you can't find one:

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-8042...gfci+wall+plate

Or do the modular plates.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Any opinion on whether my idea to "linearize" the circuit (going dishwasher -> switch -> disposal) is workable? It would avoid any branching at the cost of adding extra wire nuts. As far as I can tell, there shouldn't be any issue, but I'll freely admit to not being an expert on these matters.

Well, for starters, you don't have enough wires to do it as is. Actually, that would take more wires than replacing that cable with a /3. Second, you would be putting your dishwasher and disposal in series with each other, possibly damaging them from the voltage drop. Third, you would make both of them run whenever the switch is turned on.

Remember, every electrical device needs both a power source and a return path. The good news is that return paths can be shared.

edit: your method made me think of a California 3-way method and the Carter method, very illegals ways to do 3 way switches.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 20, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Well, for starters, you don't have enough wires to do it as is. Actually, that would take more wires than replacing that cable with a /3. Second, you would be putting your dishwasher and disposal in series with each other, possibly damaging them from the voltage drop. Third, you would make both of them run whenever the switch is turned on.

Remember, every electrical device needs both a power source and a return path. The good news is that return paths can be shared.

edit: your method made me think of a California 3-way method and the Carter method, very illegals ways to do 3 way switches.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks for the advice.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I just bought a new house and have been thinking about installing LED/CFL compatible dimmer switches in a couple rooms. I just noticed our Costco started carrying a 2-pack of Feit LED/CFL dimmer switches for $15, which is less than half the cost of the cheapest Lutron/Leviton models I've been looking at. Any reason anyone can think of that I should avoid them? I've never heard of any safety/reliability issues from switches or outlets.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I just bought a new house and have been thinking about installing LED/CFL compatible dimmer switches in a couple rooms. I just noticed our Costco started carrying a 2-pack of Feit LED/CFL dimmer switches for $15, which is less than half the cost of the cheapest Lutron/Leviton models I've been looking at. Any reason anyone can think of that I should avoid them? I've never heard of any safety/reliability issues from switches or outlets.

Never heard of Feit. That being said, using dimmable LED/CFLs along with compatible dimmable LED/CFLs has always been a crapshoot, despite who made them. Problems range from the dimmable range might be less than how far the switch can physically travel, to flickering at low levels. I would imagine that it has gotten better over the years, but YMMV.

You probably never heard that before because previously switches and outlets were dumb devices. The only way something could go wrong with them before was if they broke or got worn out after a few decades. But now companies started adding electronics to switches and outlets... Time will tell how well they work out.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

kid sinister posted:

Never heard of Feit. That being said, using dimmable LED/CFLs along with compatible dimmable LED/CFLs has always been a crapshoot, despite who made them. Problems range from the dimmable range might be less than how far the switch can physically travel, to flickering at low levels. I would imagine that it has gotten better over the years, but YMMV.

Feit sells a lot products through Costco (light bulbs, flashlights, etc.). I've been fairly happy with their products so far, so I'll give these a try.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Sorry if this is worthless but I bought 30 Feit LED bulbs from Costco and I love them and I can personally vouch for them as a brand. I have never used their dimmers though.

Consider Feit for the dimmable LED bulbs, too. I personally use a Lutron Caseta and love it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Does flexible metal conduit need to be attached to a box if it's being used for low voltage wiring or can I get away with sticking it through a low voltage frame? I need to run cables that aren't rated for in-wall or plenum use into a wall, through a plenum space, and back down the wall.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

Does flexible metal conduit need to be attached to a box if it's being used for low voltage wiring or can I get away with sticking it through a low voltage frame? I need to run cables that aren't rated for in-wall or plenum use into a wall, through a plenum space, and back down the wall.

With flex, you at least want ends on it just to prevent any burrs at the cut to start stripping the cable. But no, it doesn't have to end at a box.

You can use non plenum rated cables in a plenum if it's a straight shot across the plenum.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ugh. Opened up the switch box in my kitchen, and it's this narrow-rear end thing with barely any room in it. I certainly don't have enough space to pigtail in an extra cable. And replacing the box would require cutting a larger hole in the tile it's hiding behind. Or I suppose really opening up the wall behind it so I can access the box from the back.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ugh. Opened up the switch box in my kitchen, and it's this narrow-rear end thing with barely any room in it. I certainly don't have enough space to pigtail in an extra cable. And replacing the box would require cutting a larger hole in the tile it's hiding behind. Or I suppose really opening up the wall behind it so I can access the box from the back.

Why pigtail? If you're replacing a cable, you can abandon the old one in the wall.

Post a picture of the box. I bet we could get you a bigger one that you won't have to cut out a bigger hole to install.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

kid sinister posted:

With flex, you at least want ends on it just to prevent any burrs at the cut to start stripping the cable. But no, it doesn't have to end at a box.

You can use non plenum rated cables in a plenum if it's a straight shot across the plenum.
Thanks. Isn't the 50 foot rule only for cables entering from the outside?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GWBBQ posted:

Thanks. Isn't the 50 foot rule only for cables entering from the outside?

Yes, and those cannot be inside plenums. If you're going to be using conduit though, there is the 360 degree rule. Any run of conduit can't have more than 360 degrees of bends between pull points. That's 4 right angles. That rule is mostly for ease of pulling cable through later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Why pigtail? If you're replacing a cable, you can abandon the old one in the wall.

D'oh, you're right, I forgot about the suggestion to use 12-3 cable. That simplifies matters, but it's still gonna be awkward.

quote:

Post a picture of the box. I bet we could get you a bigger one that you won't have to cut out a bigger hole to install.

Kind of tricky to get a good photo, but here's the opening with the switch in it. It's 1.5" wide, and 3" deep measuring from the surface of the tile (so probably 2.5" or 2.25" deep once you subtract the tile and drywall).

The annoying thing is that the faceplate for the switch is easily big enough to accommodate a larger box, but they used a tiny one anyways. I guess it saved them a buck on buying a bigger box!