Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
https://twitter.com/SidizenKane/status/755738172718546944

Edit: This dude says some Milo supporters are retweeting this unironically hahaha

Sulphuric Sundae fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Yes. YESSSSS PURGE YOURSELVES :unsmigghh:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

seiferguy posted:

I'm not sure Glenn Beck "faded" away because he created the Blaze, and gave Matt Walsh a job. Beck isn't center screen anymore, he kind of went higher.

Isn't the blaze hemorrhaging money? And I don't think I've actually heard of Matt Walsh outside this thread.

Beck went from a prime cable time slot to an online newspaper, there is no way that's a step up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just put two factor auth from your phone a requirement for twitter

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

THis one is the best

https://twitter.com/BlackAutonomist/status/755729522436235264

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Free Milo is amazing because imagine someone who doesn't know who Milo is and watching them discover his tweets for the first time

"Free Milo! Free speech!"

"What did he say?"

"that a black actress was a gorilla"

:stare:

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Free Milo is amazing because imagine someone who doesn't know who Milo is and watching them discover his tweets for the first time

"Free Milo! Free speech!"

"What did he say?"

"that a black actress was a gorilla"

:stare:

You joke, but this is the hill a lot of alt-right types will die on.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

lynch_69 posted:

Already ran into 2 this morning. :nallears:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

lynch_69 posted:

Oh its not a joke, its just amazing that the Alt-Right thinks they can make blatant racism and abuse a free speech issue and still win in the court of public opinion

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Forgall posted:

Andrew Sullivan is trucking along just fine.

Sullivan is someone for whom "deeply flawed" is an extremely charitable description, but Milo makes Sullivan look like MLK.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sullivan is someone for whom "deeply flawed" is an extremely charitable description, but Milo makes Sullivan look like MLK.

Milo is someone who I do not think has any core values beyond "I want to be important"

There was a hilarious thing on reddit once when he became Breitbart's Tech Editor and a follower tossed him some softball questions about tech like "Why is 60fps better than 30fps" and he couldn't answer them.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh its not a joke, its just amazing that the Alt-Right thinks they can make blatant racism and abuse a free speech issue and still win in the court of public opinion

Somebody the other day suggested that there would be less abuse if you had to use your real name on Twitter, and a bunch of anime avatar dudes were like "translation: so we can punish wrongthink opinions. eyeroll."

SO close!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Even they know he done hosed up if people knew what he got banned for, which is why most of them are either making the claim that he was banned for vaguely disagreeing with someone or that it was people he didn't control who were doing the harassing. None of them are directly aknowledging that he harassed a black lady and called her a man and a gorilla.

They know that what they're doing and defending is hosed up enough that they should hide it, but they're not going to reflect on that and come to the realization that they're the bad guys here

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Somebody the other day suggested that there would be less abuse if you had to use your real name on Twitter, and a bunch of anime avatar dudes were like "translation: so we can punish wrongthink opinions. eyeroll."

SO close!

Frankly I want twitter to release the metrics about the users who engage in this kind of abuse because I would bet actual money the percentage of trolls like this is well over 60% under the age of 18.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I didn't even know Milo was a tech editor since it seems the only think he talks about is needing safe spaces so he can shout about social issues without meanies talking back.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Milo is someone who I do not think has any core values beyond "I want to be important"

There was a hilarious thing on reddit once when he became Breitbart's Tech Editor and a follower tossed him some softball questions about tech like "Why is 60fps better than 30fps" and he couldn't answer them.

That's probably my favorite. He can bullshit alright on social and historical themes but the main thing he got hired for, tech/video game analysis, is totally foreign to him. He's only involved in it cause he discovered how easy it is to gain approval from those groups by being a shithead. And the people who make up those groups are so fundamentally stupid and desperate for validation that they don't even care or notice that their main guy doesn't know or give a poo poo about their source of identity.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
e:f;b, phone posting sucks

Radish posted:

I didn't even know Milo was a tech editor since it seems the only think he talks about is needing safe spaces so he can shout about social issues without meanies talking back.

Even him as a """tech editor""" is a pathetic joke. Somewhere, I want to say KiA, asked him some pointed questions about important tech issues and he couldn't answer them. It was clear he doesn't care about tech at all. In fact, despite him being a gator favorite, before the job at Breitbart he routinely insulted gamers.

He's just an attention whore. Hopefully the Twitter ban is the beginning of the end.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I hope Milo and The Floorshitter™ become friends. Chuck looked so lonely, sitting on that convention floor by himself. :unsmith:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Warcabbit posted:

Activists from Black Lives Matter, Westboro Baptist Church and the KKK were in the square and, at one time, were said to be throwing urine at each other.
http://www.cleveland19.com/story/32479326/watch-live-black-lives-matter-protest-near-east-4th-st

How bout this?

https://twitter.com/YAppelbaum/status/755492543782129665

Not sure if this means they booked him. Ah, well. There'll be more shadenfreude tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUyUePkuDJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdYlq8QP-OU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgMQh4YbTEA

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mister Macys posted:

I hope Milo and The Floorshitter™ become friends. Chuck looked so lonely, sitting on that convention floor by himself. :unsmith:

Floor Sitter*

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Epic Alex Jones Attack Caught On Camera!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

I feel like those people are just fundamentally unable to relate to anyone outside of a shared hatred of *thing*. If you locked milo, Chuck, Matt Walsh and crowder in a room together for a day they'd probably just all sit in seperate corners glaring at each other

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

I feel like those people are just fundamentally unable to relate to anyone outside of a shared hatred of *thing*. If you locked milo, Chuck, Matt Walsh and crowder in a room together for a day they'd probably just all sit in seperate corners glaring at each other

There is a reason reactionary groups inevitably self-cannibalize

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I'm having a blast today. This was such fun news to wake up to. Seeing the same people who scream all day about how great it is that cake shops can deny someone business for being gay are now mad as hell that a company has denied this dude their business. Hahahahahahahahaha. Oh man

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Really, the problem with any political idea that operates under the assumption "things will be good as long as we get rid of _________" is that its doomed to failure because once those people are rid of and things aren't fixed, they will continue to hunt for degenerates to cleanse until the whole thing collapses.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Frankly I want twitter to release the metrics about the users who engage in this kind of abuse because I would bet actual money the percentage of trolls like this is well over 60% under the age of 18.

I'd like to see the metrics as well.

From my subjective experience though I've seen an equal spread of shitlords from all ages. I remember as a kid before twitter it was people on AIM and MSN with confederate display pics ironically. It's just they were more fragmented instead of unified under twitter.

I won't be surprised if the white supremacists start their own twitter like that one facebook knock-off a while back.

I feel incredibly powerless when it comes to this white supremacist "resurgence" because of course they get to speak at the podium because what they say sells, it gets page views and shares.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I've mostly given up. Whenever I encounter one in the wild that I cannot ignore for whatever reason, I just play into their delusion and say things like "When the revolution comes to your suburb, you'll be first against the wall. Better keep the powder dry." Responses vary.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Milo comes off as nothing more than a walking, talking ball of bad faith. It seems like he's purely doing what he's doing for attention and money. His entire repertoire seems to be telling young men that it's perfectly acceptable to go around saying racist, sexist, transphobic things in order to make them worship him. It's really unfortunate that he's well known as a free speech advocate, because it puts him in contact with other, more respectable free speech people, who then get dragged down to his level of discourse. Douglas Murray etc.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

I'd like to see the metrics as well.

From my subjective experience though I've seen an equal spread of shitlords from all ages. I remember as a kid before twitter it was people on AIM and MSN with confederate display pics ironically. It's just they were more fragmented instead of unified under twitter.

I just remember who I was and how I viewed the world at 16 and I definitely could have fallen for this. I feel like teenagers lack complex empathy and global awareness and its a great breeding ground for this kind of behavior.

Plus, there is an idea of power behind it. Being a teenager is all about a sense of powerlessness in your life and the world around you. Going on twitter and calling a famous black woman a gorilla until she reacts gives you a sense of importance and relevance that I think most people crave at that age. A lot of teenage males want to matter, and the easiest way to get a sense that you matter is anonymous harassment.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gunder posted:

Milo comes off as nothing more than a walking, talking ball of bad faith. It seems like he's purely doing what he's doing for attention and money. His entire repertoire seems to be telling young men that it's perfectly acceptable to go around saying racist, sexist, transphobic things in order to make them worship him. It's really unfortunate that he's well known as a free speech advocate, because it puts him in contact with other, more respectable free speech people, who then get dragged down to his level of discourse. Douglas Murray etc.

His "Free Speech Advocacy" is just the standard right-wing "you can't censor me" bullshit, as if just because you have the right to free speech it magically means people shouldn't take offense or call you out when you're being a lovely human being that has to punch downwards on minorities while doing your "satire" (seriously, someone once tried to tell me that Milo is a satirist), or just being an outright abusive troll. Nor does it mean a company doesn't have the standing to prevent you from using their services when you violate the terms of using their services. It sucks that so many people easily fall for that bullshit because they can't tell the difference between the Government censoring speech (Turkey being a prominent recent example), and a company telling you "you're banned for being an abusive dick."

I really wish people would stop equating the right of free speech with the "right" to be an rear end in a top hat. Not saying you're doing it of course, I'm just frustrated that people honestly think Milo is doing anything in good faith rather than just a bunch of self-serving poo poo to advance his personal brand.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

His "Free Speech Advocacy" is just the standard right-wing "you can't censor me" bullshit, as if just because you have the right to free speech it magically means people shouldn't take offense or call you out when you're being a lovely human being that has to punch downwards on minorities while doing your "satire" (seriously, someone once tried to tell me that Milo is a satirist), or just being an outright abusive troll. Nor does it mean a company doesn't have the standing to prevent you from using their services when you violate the terms of using their services. It sucks that so many people easily fall for that bullshit because they can't tell the difference between the Government censoring speech (Turkey being a prominent recent example), and a company telling you "you're banned for being an abusive dick."

I really wish people would stop equating the right of free speech with the "right" to be an rear end in a top hat. Not saying you're doing it of course, I'm just frustrated that people honestly think Milo is doing anything in good faith rather than just a bunch of self-serving poo poo to advance his personal brand.

As far as Milo and his ilk goes, they know it's all a con. All they have to be is just a little more clever than their target audience and they're laughing all the way to the bank. I sincerely doubt he gives two shits about Ghostbusters or ethics in video games or whatever. It's just an easy means of riling up his base and getting those oh so precious clicks.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

#followyourleader

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lynch_69 posted:

As far as Milo and his ilk goes, they know it's all a con. All they have to be is just a little more clever than their target audience and they're laughing all the way to the bank. I sincerely doubt he gives two shits about Ghostbusters or ethics in video games or whatever. It's just an easy means of riling up his base and getting those oh so precious clicks.

That's what I meant though. It feels almost transparently obvious that Milo's just saying and doing whatever will get him attention and putting out blatant (and hateful) clickbait, yet people latch onto it, even the aforementioned person who told me "oh he's a satirist" who also hates clickbait journalism :psyduck:

EDIT: Like I can get why a lot of immature misogynists and racists will flock to him, I'm just confused why anybody outside that bubble would give him anything other than a derisive snort.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 20, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

In 2012 he wrote an article about internet trolls needed to be silenced for the good of others, comparing them to drunk drivers needing their licenses revoked. http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/yiannopoulos/3359/the-internet-is-turning-us-all-into-sociopaths/

This video title sounds like it's documentary footage of a wild predator.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I don't know why you guys are celebrating the downfall of @Nero. Once Daddy Trump is president he's going to punish the cowardly libtard SJWs at Twitter.

Edit: we're also gonna say " Merry Christmas" again!!!!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

AdjectiveNoun posted:

In 2012 he wrote an article about internet trolls needed to be silenced for the good of others, comparing them to drunk drivers needing their licenses revoked. http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/yiannopoulos/3359/the-internet-is-turning-us-all-into-sociopaths/
Sounds like he's changed his tune quite a lot since then.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AdjectiveNoun posted:

This video title sounds like it's documentary footage of a wild predator.

God drat, he's really hanging himself with this conclusion.

quote:

So perhaps what’s needed now is a bolder form of censure after all, because the internet is not a universal human right. If people cannot be trusted to treat one another with respect, dignity and consideration, perhaps they deserve to have their online freedoms curtailed.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Angry_Ed posted:

EDIT: Like I can get why a lot of immature misogynists and racists will flock to him, I'm just confused why anybody outside that bubble would give him anything other than a derisive snort.

Politics is a team sport, remember? As long as he says things that liberals don't like, he's gold in the eyes of everyone but the truest of believers.

Same thing with Trump, to an extent. You think even half of the politicians who've endorsed him were being genuine when they called him good, honest, etc.?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Christopher Hitchens was an avowed Marxist in college before turning into whatever he turned into. Trump was a lifelong democrat. All those old Project for a New American Century neocon guys were liberals at one point. It's all meaningless. Soulless opportunists who will sell out their ideals for profit/power. Also Hillary Clinton was a Goldwater Girl. It helps if you think of them as lizard people.