Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not prepared to say that a speaker at the nationally televised GOP convention just casually through out a loving Nazi salute.

Yeah pretty much, even nazis know not to give the nazi salute on television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LBr-AXWoYw

The Clevelander in this video made me proud.

Such a loving Cleveland reaction. "Are you an IDIOT?" Go the gently caress back home to Alabama, we don't want people like you around here" Half expected him to start a HERE WE GO BROWNIES, HERE WE GO, WOOF WOOF" chant in the video.

:allears:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm not prepared to say that a speaker at the nationally televised GOP convention just casually through out a loving Nazi salute.

Nothing casual about it...

WampaLord posted:

The thing that totally gives it away is her face. She goes very serious and locked in when doing it, then smiles and waves after.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, basically, like every, every part of me says "she cannot have meant to make that precise gesture" and then I go back and watch the video of her doing it and I just laugh.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

God it's the loving expression. That terrible mix of determination and smugness. :psyduck:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah, basically, like every, every part of me says "she cannot have meant to make that precise gesture" and then I go back and watch the video of her doing it and I just laugh.

I know, its what I wrestle with.

Like, reasonably I am like "she cannot be straight up going heil" and then I see it and its like "she is straight up going heil"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

yeah I'm not sure I really care that the people that are fostering white supremacy and running an openly racist campaign aren't getting total benefit of the doubt in terms of a nazi salute.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If it was anyone else I'd dismiss it, but Laura Ingram is a special combination of white supremacist and stupid.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Radish posted:

yeah I'm not sure I really care that the people that are fostering white supremacy and running an openly racist campaign aren't getting total benefit of the doubt in terms of a nazi salute.

Listen man, we just can't determine if the terrible white supremacist lady is a nazi or not. We just don't have all of the facts and it would be irresponsible to do so otherwise.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

This fits in rather nicely with my fantasy casting of RWMers as various incarnations of the Joker. Limbaugh is Nicholson's Joker, Coulter is Hamill's Joker, Beck is Ledger's Joker, and now Milo is Leto's Joker. Still haven't found anyone who matches Romero's Joker yet. Maybe Hannity on account of the shrillness and camp, I dunno :shrug:

That insulting to the Joker.

He's not a nazi, he's a criminal, an American criminal, but not a nazi or klansman.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cruz and Christie are both interestingly craven slugs. Christie thought he could get power attaching to Trump. Cruz is playing the long con and playing on the assumption Trump will bomb.

Whatever else Cruz is (and god, there's a lot of poo poo I'd love to call him,) he still got up on that stage in front of literally thousands of Trump supporters and told them to go gently caress themselves (metaphorically.) Even if he thought it would pay off for him in the end, I can't bring myself to call that craven. It takes guts to do something like that.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I said it as a joke, but I'm more and more convinced that she didn't actually intent to sieg heil, but couldn't help herself. Her arm went up to wave or whatever, and at that point muscle memory kicked in.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Keeshhound posted:

Whatever else Cruz is (and god, there's a lot of poo poo I'd love to call him,) he still got up on that stage in front of literally thousands of Trump supporters and told them to go gently caress themselves (metaphorically.) Even if he thought it would pay off for him in the end, I can't bring myself to call that craven. It takes guts to do something like that.

Yeah but he didn't do it because it's the right thing to do or even because he disagrees with them, he's just mad it's Trump's circlejerk congratulatory party, not his. So he's still a massive prick.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I'm not seeing this nazi salute story anywhere, guess no one cares.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/laura-ingraham-called-appearing-nazi-salute-article-1.2719389

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Lightning Knight posted:

God it's the loving expression. That terrible mix of determination and smugness. :psyduck:

Yeah but it's not nearly as revealing as Cruz's suppressed smile as he gave the non-endorsement last night.

I don't think she gave the salute intentionally, but I'm sure she realized it as she did it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah but he didn't do it because it's the right thing to do or even because he disagrees with them, he's just mad it's Trump's circlejerk congratulatory party, not his. So he's still a massive prick.

Oh, definetely. But I can recognize that a man has moxie, even when I personally hate the fucker.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LBr-AXWoYw

The Clevelander in this video made me proud.

Such a loving Cleveland reaction. "Are you an IDIOT?" Go the gently caress back home to Alabama, we don't want people like you around here" Half expected him to start a HERE WE GO BROWNIES, HERE WE GO, WOOF WOOF" chant in the video.

Idiot - "Why you have skulls on your necklace?" - "Why do you like symbols of DEATH!!!???"

Cool dude - "I like it, I buy whatever I like." - "What are you an idiot? That's what you look like under that skin!"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

That insulting to the Joker.

He's not a nazi, he's a criminal, an American criminal, but not a nazi or klansman.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Why is the Joker talking to Red Skull they work for different companies

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

Same, it's insanely hilarious and I love it and I barely even want to debate it anymore. But Laura Ingrahams been on television a billion times and I think she has the self control to not throw an actual nazi salute on purpose, even though that's exactly what it ended up looking like. Benefit of the doubt says the seasoned pundit lady knows better than to loving lose the plot and Heil Hitler at Tang Mammon

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's clear what her intentions were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtcbVUNO1NY

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Goatman Sacks posted:

Why is the Joker talking to Red Skull they work for different companies

That's a Captain America/Batman crossover by John Byrne that takes place in the 40's

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

That's a Captain America/Batman crossover by John Byrne that takes place in the 40's

It looks tone-deaf along the level of Dr. Doom crying over 9/11

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Aesop Poprock posted:

... Benefit of the doubt...

Not from me
-Sherrif Stars
-Subgroups
-David Duke and KKK

It's not much of a leap from there. Gee, why does this keep happening?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Did he really though? He did it just enough to back down if it blew up in his face, or claim victory if it worked. If he wanted to be brave he would have gotten up there and trashed him explicitly and risked his political future on taking a stand. Instead he just mean-girled some passive aggressive poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Spun Dog posted:

Not from me
-Sherrif Stars
-Subgroups
-David Duke and KKK

It's not much of a leap from there. Gee, why does this keep happening?

I don't think anyone is denying they are nazis, we just want to imagine they are more subtle nazis.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Aesop Poprock posted:

It looks tone-deaf along the level of Dr. Doom crying over 9/11

I've always thought it would have worked better if he'd said something like "Nazis!? Can't stand 'em, no sense of humor!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think anyone is denying they are nazis, we just want to imagine they are more subtle nazis.

Nazis tend to be bad at the whole subtle thing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I think they just have a disconnect between how they act in their day to day life and how they act when they know they're surrounded by "their own".

They're like anime fans at a convention if you replaced cosplay and body pillows with Nazism.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Idiot - "Why you have skulls on your necklace?" - "Why do you like symbols of DEATH!!!???"

Cool dude - "I like it, I buy whatever I like." - "What are you an idiot? That's what you look like under that skin!"

He's literally one moment away from just making an exaggeration of this guy's voice with silly words to mock his argument. Then this "Brother Dean" guy generally walks away sulking that he got beaten.

That's generally how annoying idiots are treated in Cleveland.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Deified Data posted:

I think they just have a disconnect between how they act in their day to day life and how they act when they know they're surrounded by "their own".

They're like anime fans at a convention if you replaced cosplay and body pillows with Nazism.

They would certainly not be as blatant about it if not for being egged on by their fascist crowds, but they still have to believe in it to some degree just to be in such an environment and ignore such obviously horrible speech/behavior. They are the exact sort of people just itching to join the right dictator as his minions.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SedanChair posted:

Also LOL at the idea that we have to "dig up supporting evidence" that Laura Ingraham is a white supremacist

I remember when she got fired for saying that if you don't want to explain black stuff to your in-laws then you shouldn't marry outside your race. Also that it was okay for her to say friend of the family because black comedians say it all the time. This went on for ten minutes. Am I thinking of the right person?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Jurgan posted:

I remember when she got fired for saying that if you don't want to explain black stuff to your in-laws then you shouldn't marry outside your race. Also that it was okay for her to say friend of the family because black comedians say it all the time. This went on for ten minutes. Am I thinking of the right person?

The was Dr. Laura not Laura Ingraham, easy to confuse the two:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Schlessinger#Usage_of_racial_epithet

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cross posting from USPol

Nice headline, CNN: "Man says cops shot him while he was lying down with hands up".

Don't go out of your way to not use the passive voice, you loving shitlords.

Anyone here doubting that CNN isn't actively more awful than FNC?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Phone posted:

Cross posting from USPol

Nice headline, CNN: "Man says cops shot him while he was lying down with hands up".

Don't go out of your way to not use the passive voice, you loving shitlords.

Anyone here doubting that CNN isn't actively more awful than FNC?

"man says"? wasn't there video? I can't really bring myself to watch videos of people being murdered anymore so I'm genuinely asking

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Sometimes when you're on stage in front of a crowd of people things just slip out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yizpWta-5Uw

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Levantine posted:

"man says"? wasn't there video? I can't really bring myself to watch videos of people being murdered anymore so I'm genuinely asking

The video does not show the exact moment of him being shot. It's entirely possible he got up, charged the cop, got shot in the arm, and laid back down where he was.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/PoliticsReid/status/756217656785661952

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Official statement from Fox. The site's getting slammed, so here's an archive.is mirror

quote:

21st Century Fox today announced that Roger Ailes, Chairman and CEO of Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network, and Chairman of Fox Television Stations, has resigned from his role effective immediately.

Rupert Murdoch will assume the role of Chairman and acting CEO of Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network

[...]

"To ensure continuity of all that is best about Fox News and what it stands for, I will take over as Chairman and acting CEO, with the support of our existing management team under Bill Shine, Jay Wallace and Mark Kranz.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Here's a letter from Ailes to Rupert. It's interesting that this letter is apparently being released exclusively through Drudge.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashnowa.htm

quote:

AILES STEPS ASIDE AT FOXNEWS; WILL REMAIN AT PARENT COMPANY AS CONSULTANT
Thu Jul 21 2016 16:10:43 ET

Letter from Roger Ailes To Rupert Murdoch
**Exclusive**

Dear Rupert,

With your support, I am proud that we have built Fox News and Fox Business Channels into powerful and lucrative news organizations that inform our audience and reward our shareholders. I take particular pride in the role that I have played advancing the careers of the many women I have promoted to executive and on-air positions. Many of these talented journalists have deservedly become household names known for their intelligence and strength, whether reporting the news, fair and balanced, and offering exciting opinions on our opinion programs. . Fox News has become Number 1 in all of cable because I consistently identified and promoted the most talented men and women in television, and they performed at the highest levels.

Having spent 20 years building this historic business, I will not allow my presence to become a distraction from the work that must be done every day to ensure that Fox News and Fox Business continue to lead our industry. I am confident that everyone at Fox News and Fox Business will continue as the standard setters that they are, and that the businesses are well positioned for even greater success in the future.

I am proud of our accomplishments and look forward to continuing to work with you as a consultant in building 21st Century Fox

All the best,

Roger.

MSNBC looks like the only one of the 3 major networks covering this right now. Fox is still doing boilerplate RNC coverage.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/756224529865715713

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 21, 2016