Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Opinions about the TBS Crossfire stuff? I'm looking to get out of 2.4GHz control on the mid-term, given that I'm in the EU and they're tightening regulations around the 2.4GHz band up really hard. Very soon, receivers need to be tamperproven, so that you can't install custom firmwares to bypass regulations. While not an issue yet, whenever I'll break one of my existing receivers, I'll eventually be in deep poo poo and need to upgrade everything FrSky and be subjected to power limits and this LBT bollocks, which affects latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there anything stopping you from installing US opentx firmware on the radio / receivers, and just buying non EU receivers from china (or will they check that upon import).

Crossfire is good, the receiver options are not awesome however. No telemetry with the micro rx, and they are both a bit expensive

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not yet. Upcoming EU regulations will prohibit selling 2.4GHz devices, whose radio and transmission parameters can be modified (officially or not so much) to work outside the regulations. So it means, if one of my receivers breaks around fall or later, I have to go Ebaying for used ones, or try to import something from outside the EU and pray that customs doesn't notice (some shops don't even deliver non-compliant devices to the EU, say trying to get FrSky gear from HK Intl doesn't even work. Also, I have yet to get an international package that hasn't been opened by customs).

Considering I want to start jerryrigging a bunch of FPV planes pretty soon, I figured maybe all this 2.4GHz stuff can get hosed. Especially since the current EU firmware with LBT (as required per reg.) already messed with my reception as it is.

As far as the telemetry goes, everything I need is in my OSD. The only interesting thing on my Taranis would be Link Quality, which should work regardless.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

twoday posted:

Hello drone nerds, maybe you can give me some advice. I'm shopping for a drone and I'm in over my head.

I'm a historian thinking of getting a drone to do some aerial surveying of some historical sites that are difficult to access. Often there's something cool on the other side of a fence or a hill or whatever, and I think a drone would help me out. But I don't know poo poo about drones

I have a gopro session 4 already, so I figure that I should make use of that, since it seems to be a good camera for droning. So, I am looking for a drone that can carry that.

I have no interest in doing any kind of tricks, and I would mostly just be using this to slowly survey and hover and make photos and videos of landscapes. I tend to be in windy places.

So here are my requirements:
- Stability in wind and some crash resistance
- Longer operating time and distance are good
- no built in-camera, but the ability to carry a tiny gopro.
- preferably not phone controlled, since I want to use the phone to display the gopro broadcast
- cheap. I'm still skeptical about how much I will actually be using this, so I don't want to waste a ton of money. Let's say around $300 is my max range.
- easy learning curve

Any advice spring to mind?

This is a page old but I feel compelled to reply based on having similar requirements.

This is the CX-20. http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX20-Opensource-Version-AutoPathfinder-Quadcopter-RTF-p-932145.html

It falls within your price range and can carry a gopro. It's got an apm in it so it can do fancy automated stuff if that's your thing https://vimeo.com/97056189

It's got voltage out on the bottom so you can connect your fpv stuff to it.

Bad:

Because it uses some homebrew board rather than a proper pixhawk, there's no documentation available about connecting an optical flow sensor to it. The best precision you're going to get on landing is about a meter radius. Also the gps module kind of isn't great and stopped working recently. But the mission planner software is smart enough to report the fault and refuse to arm the motors - a fault mode I find preferable to "flyaway drone," which is something the early versions of the CX-20 had a problem with.

If you can stand poor documentation and a build quality that seems to have utilized the absolute cheapest parts available, there's a drone in your price range. I can't say whether the CX-20 is the right quad for you. But as for myself personally - I wish I'd spent about another 6 months researching and started with a pixhawk and built around that.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've already put the GoPro and an old tablet up for sale, saving up for a phantom. The gimble is really nice, and so is the fact that it can be controlled with software that can help automatically generate 3D models. Drone deploy seems to be really cool, especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wXggCqY_8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've already put the GoPro and an old tablet up for sale, saving up for a phantom. The gimble is really nice, and so is the fact that it can be controlled with software that can help automatically generate 3D models. Drone deploy seems to be really cool, especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3wXggCqY_8

The Phantom is a pretty good deal. You can also cobble together a DIY version yourself which is basically an F450 kit that I now have. But unless you actually want to screw around with it (which I did because I clearly didn't have enough nerdy hobbies), it's probably not worth it if you can just get a used Phantom or a new one with a good discount. BTW you can also use something like PhotoScan instead for generating 3D models, it doesn't even need geocoding and you'll have more control over the process.

Speaking of the F450, I finally got all my FPV poo poo - Quanum goggles and using a Xaiomi Yi's AV out. The quality is great and latency quite acceptable - not good enough for hardcore racing but should be just fine for puttering around and aerial photography. Anyway, before the first FPV flight I still have to fix the drone :v:. My last crash broke an arm and a nut went missing. I replaced the arm, and a hardware store nut and washer seem to work ok.

However what caused the last crash was one of the props just coming off mid-flight. I never had any issues with the nuts loosening with original DJI props, but I suspect the aftermarket ones didn't fit as tightly and the vibrations caused the nut to loosen and come off eventually. I now have yet another aftermarket set and they're not DJI-tight either, so I'm worried I'll have the same thing over again. How do you guys keep the props from flying off?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Self-tightening props

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

BTW you can also use something like PhotoScan instead for generating 3D models, it doesn't even need geocoding and you'll have more control over the process.

Dronedeploy is incredibly easier than previous solutions, and relatively cheap. Altizure has a better flight route for doing 3D stuff (integrated oblique way pointing, not just the overhead stuff - you have to do that manually with dji go and point of interest right now). But you can stick thhe photos in any of these services and offline programs, regardless of what you used to capture them (including photoscan)

Also use nylon threaded nuts or blue Loctite (but not both!!)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress are you doing hobbyking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS3cXil2QIs

I just wanted that pterodactyl ornithopter but it was only in the international warehouse for $70 shipping

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 22, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Haha holy poo poo

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Dronedeploy is incredibly easier than previous solutions, and relatively cheap. Altizure has a better flight route for doing 3D stuff (integrated oblique way pointing, not just the overhead stuff - you have to do that manually with dji go and point of interest right now). But you can stick thhe photos in any of these services and offline programs, regardless of what you used to capture them (including photoscan)

Also use nylon threaded nuts or blue Loctite (but not both!!)

Altizure sounds pretty sweet, haven't seen it before. Using stand-alone software probably only makes sense if you don't also have a complete autopilot capability as well, otherwise it's easier to just click and forget.

I did get some nylon-insert M6 nuts but they don't feel like they'll go on with anything resembling a reasonable amount of force. I might have some locktite form my car somewhere around.

Don't those rely on having left- and right-handed threads on CW and CCW motors? All the nuts on my quad are interchangeable unfortunately.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Phantom 3 4K ordered!

What is a reasonable number of batteries to have?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

twoday posted:

Phantom 3 4K ordered!

What is a reasonable number of batteries to have?

Unless you really need 4k video, I would always take an advanced over the 4k. the standard and 4k lack the dedicated RC link and use your devices wifi, limiting range (the 4k should take the exact same photos as the standard as well - the only difference is in video).

3 batteries minimum. I currently have 6. Don't buy the third parties, I know the price is tempting, but they get locked out occasionally by DJI.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty crazy that there's not more monetising (gov. Regulating) going on with drones and joe P. They could basically become a small, portable, flying, exploding, peaceful message from the prophet M.

The M actually looks like an icon a drone would have.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Please go

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

wut

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

osietra posted:

It's pretty crazy that there's not more monetising (gov. Regulating) going on with drones and joe P. They could basically become a small, portable, flying, exploding, peaceful message from the prophet M.

The M actually looks like an icon a drone would have.
It'll get used that way once then regulated into the ground. Like everything else in the history of nice things.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah. P much lol

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

is this guy hasslin you nice people?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

is this guy hasslin you nice people?

If posting like a mentally ill anti Muslim chatbot is hasslin then yeah prob
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=177685

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holy gently caress that guy

Scrodes
Oct 18, 2003

LOL RACISM!
Hey kids

I have what I hope is an easy question.

I just switched to a Spektrum radio from Tactic - which is like going from Mac to PC, nothing is where I expect it to be.

I also picked up E-Flite's 1.2meter Trojan.

Now, HTF do I configure the flaps? I can't get the 6th channel to work. The other five *four plus retracts* work fine.

Spektrum DX6i

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Scrodes posted:

Hey kids

I have what I hope is an easy question.

I just switched to a Spektrum radio from Tactic - which is like going from Mac to PC, nothing is where I expect it to be.

I also picked up E-Flite's 1.2meter Trojan.

Now, HTF do I configure the flaps? I can't get the 6th channel to work. The other five *four plus retracts* work fine.

Spektrum DX6i

Usually there are specific instructions for each spek radio in the big manual (there was in my apprentice s 15)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hey anti muslim chatbot osietra or olestra or whatever: cram it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A friend of mine's been looking to get into quadcopters to do some basic aerial photo/video while not spending too much. Which is a bit tricky, but he found this SYMA X8G for pretty drat cheap: http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_324558.html

It seems to be able to handle a gopro strapped underneath though I'm not sure about a gimbal. Also not sure if it requires the SYMA transmitter (which is super cheap anyway) or works with spektrum or something. Has anyone used one of those? Would a Cheerson CX-20 as posted above be four times better?
http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX20-Opensource-Version-AutoPathfinder-Quadcopter-RTF-p-932145.html

Turk182
Feb 28, 2009
pixhawk in a phantom 2 shell makes a good diy airframe. I just finished up mine.

http://www.3drpilots.com/threads/pixphantom-phantom-2-pixhawk-lite-conversion.5809/

insta
Jan 28, 2009
So I like the building process more than the flying process, and picked up a bunch of cheap frames from hobbyking.

Anybody want a commissioned build? I'll charge next to nothing (maybe $40?) on top of material cost for builds :)

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SoundMonkey posted:

hey anti muslim chatbot osietra or olestra or whatever: cram it.
Unless you've been creeping on my posts, my 'rap' sheet has more banning about Isaac Rosenberg (Not the rapper) (who is incidentally the best WW1 poet, also Jewish, but poor as gently caress, but was like Blake in the trenches.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What would be considered average and maybe "long range" distances for consumer drones? I've got a colleague that's interested in doing some characterization of antennas or radios or something and he was spitballing about just attaching it to a drone and using that as a testbed. I have no idea if he'll hit platform limits before he gets the data he actually wants. What's the farthest a drone can reliably get from you? Is it based on the operating frequency? The environment? The battery life of the drone (aka not enough juice for the return trip)? It seems like DJI stuff can go a few miles or so?

Thanks. I know nothing about this but mentioned I would poke around.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DragonLink, EzUHF and TBS Crossfire.

I've spent mostly investigating latter, because it integrates nicely with the Taranis (OpenTX supports the Crossfire's digital protocol, allows for precise low latency control, instead of using lovely PPM). TBS claims that it can go up to 100km at full power.

Of course, the video link is limiting in this case, too. I suppose 1.3GHz video is most appropriate, I guess ideally with a dipole for less loss over a circular. TBS' test had video up to these 100km, forgot what system they used for video.

Also, I've made a new splashscreen for upgrading my Taranis since almost never.

--edit:
According to their video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULVwMSL5xac ), they've used 2.4GHz video with some Yagi antenna, i.e. this thing: http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:tbs_gs_2g4

Also, as for range, I think I've seen another video where someone did like 12km with a DJI Phantom 4 3. --edit2: 17km with a 6S 10Ah battery and ostensibly 40% left.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Again, since I know nothing: as I'm looking at the TBS stuff, if they wanted an out-of-the-box solution based on that platform, I should research something like this?

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/product:931

Sorry if this is all vague. The requirements he's described to me aren't really that concrete as best as I can tell, and I'm sort of in the dark in how to compare performance characteristics. I'm only doing this because there's a chance I'll get roped into the project in some fashion.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What would be considered average and maybe "long range" distances for consumer drones? I've got a colleague that's interested in doing some characterization of antennas or radios or something and he was spitballing about just attaching it to a drone and using that as a testbed. I have no idea if he'll hit platform limits before he gets the data he actually wants. What's the farthest a drone can reliably get from you? Is it based on the operating frequency? The environment? The battery life of the drone (aka not enough juice for the return trip)? It seems like DJI stuff can go a few miles or so?

Thanks. I know nothing about this but mentioned I would poke around.

Consumer drones are limited to a few miles. Most are using 2.4ghz for control, 5.8ghz for video.
DIY drones: For direct link, you can go 100km+ on 433mhz control and 1.3ghz video. You can a pretty good distance on a directional antenna and 2.4ghz video too.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
All of that requires a ham license in the US, BTW. Even the 5.8ghz stuff.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

insta posted:

All of that requires a ham license in the US, BTW. Even the 5.8ghz stuff.
My understanding is that he has one since his work and research are usually for Northrop Grumman.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think a fixed wing system just going out and back might be a better long range vehicle for testing. Stone Blue Airlines does build services and can definitely set you up with a capable rig for antennae testing.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

osietra posted:

Unless you've been creeping on my posts, my 'rap' sheet has more banning about Isaac Rosenberg (Not the rapper) (who is incidentally the best WW1 poet, also Jewish, but poor as gently caress, but was like Blake in the trenches.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

really unsure why you thought "cram it" was a suggestion

although i guess i was creeping on your posts in the sense that i read reports

either way kindly depart

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Again, since I know nothing: as I'm looking at the TBS stuff, if they wanted an out-of-the-box solution based on that platform, I should research something like this?

http://www.team-blacksheep.com/products/product:931
The wireless stuff in that package is certainly fit for longer range, I'm not sure how far 4500mah 4S w/ 900kv and 9x5 props gets you. I ran 4000mah 4S w/ 980kv and 8x5 bullnose once, I think I got maybe 15 minutes out of this. Then again, it involved dicking around and not smooth forward flight. And it were those lovely Multistar batteries.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Drone newb here, does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive drone that can be used for photogrammetry?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rubber Slug posted:

Drone newb here, does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive drone that can be used for photogrammetry?

Phantom 3 standard (p3 advanced better)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 26, 2016

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
That's what I was looking into, actually. Looking at DJI's site, I'm finding it hard to tell what the advantages of the Advanced are over the Standard. The camera seems identical, but I've heard the controller for the Advanced is slightly better. Is it worth the extra dough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Last night I realized I have a LOT of glue on my desk.

And I really don't spend a whole lot of time making ~models~ on my desk. Though, that rule has been out the window the last two weeks.

It all started with this laser cut F6F kit.

This isn't my first time around the block. I've built a few other Guillows kits over the years. So I just started building it. I'm older, I'm pickier, and I discovered a few problems.

First of all, the plans, are ~not~ complete. Second, my kit came with two of sheet A, and no sheet B of the balsa. But I didn't discover that until late in the build.

That set of plans, gives you no indication of the side keels. I didn't even notice they were missing until I had nearly completed the airframe. Thankfully Guillows happily sent me a replacement sheet of laser cut parts, so with few day delay, I was able to build the whole plane.

Now, my real plan, is to build the plane into a full house 4 channel ship, with 2s brushless power. But I don't want to screw up this one.

Ebay is full of cheap Guillows kits. And $50ish dollars later, I bought a Skyraider, a P-51, a P-40 warhawk, and a spare F6F kit.

At the same time, I'm building a DLG. Well, built, a DLG.

It's 52 grams. I want to say I've built this design four times before. Almost every time it's been terriably overweight. This time, it's only 2 grams heavy. And building those is how I got reasonably good at applying carbon tow. I also bought some kevlar thread for doing the control surfaces.

As a "how to check my work" plane, I built the skyraider. The Guillows wings bug me, and always feel weak to me. So I wanted to try putting some carbon on them. Adding carbon tow to the two top spars, and the leading and trailing edges at least doubled the stiffness. But doubling "limp noodle" doesn't really mean much.

I also used some brass tubing to make bushings for the control surfaces. The ailerons are driven by the setup stolen from the T-28

The elevator uses the sprung surface design stolen from the DLG. You can see the guitar string I bent into a torsion spring here.

I've got some other pictures of the skyraider to show. I started covering it last night. Glue sticks are awesome for doing tissue covering. And 50/50 water/alcohol mix makes for some fast shrinking of tissue.