Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't think there's an official UI that's great for supermclargehuge collections. For the people with hundreds of thousands of movies, perhaps Emby works better. I don't know.

As the provided ones go I think Android has the one most easily mistaken for a commercial product from a big company. I use it on Fire Sticks and quite like it, but the Fire Stick is weak hardware and for some reason it often has a tendency of logging people out mysteriously.

A device closer to Android TV/Google Play is better, but then you're basically left with the Nvidia Shield after the Nexus Player left the party. And those things are really expensive. But if you want to throw in the (rather poorly designed atm) SiliconDust DVR alongside it then I can see it being The One Device for both live TV and archived video content.

e: I think the ATV4 app still has a long way to go. Some of it is Plex trying to adhere to Apple design aesthetic over the universal look they've tried to cultivate over Android and Roku, but even their attempt to copycat Apple is lacking. Emby's ATV4 app is much prettier with visible poster art laid out in a way that looks just like the Siri/iTunes screens for movies, but I have a lot of devices that aren't ATV4 so I'm not switching anytime soon.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm away from home for 5 days and didn't bother bringing my Apple TV because the photos showed W CRT. Mistake on my behalf, as there's a 37" HDTV here instead but the local channels are limited and the Canadian satellite (yeah i have no idea) doesn't seem to have any working channels.

Was thinking of popping to Best Buy and getting something cheap like a Roku stick and installing Plex on it (I have Plex pass so presumably that's free). I get a nice 45mbit download speed on my iPhone so the wifi seems decent enough... Worth bothering? Always useful to have a backup piece of kit for bedroom use too.

E: it's the older purple one they have for $30 I'd get.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 14, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm away from home for 5 days and didn't bother bringing my Apple TV because the photos showed W CRT. Mistake on my behalf, as there's a 37" HDTV here instead but the local channels are limited and the Canadian satellite (yeah i have no idea) doesn't seem to have any working channels.

Was thinking of popping to Best Buy and getting something cheap like a Roku stick and installing Plex on it (I have Plex pass so presumably that's free). I get a nice 45mbit download speed on my iPhone so the wifi seems decent enough... Worth bothering? Always useful to have a backup piece of kit for bedroom use too.

Is there a video-out cable to connect the iPhone to the TV?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah but they're not particularly cheap compared to something that might have some more use to me in the future.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Well you said you'd just keep the Roku around as a backup anyway. The iPhone w/cable would still be useful for the same purpose, I just figured since you already have a device that can stream from Plex, all you need is the cable.

In the future it'd be easier to just travel with a video out cable anyway. But whatever, the Roku will work fine. I've got a Roku 2 that runs Plex well, any newer one will be even faster so go for it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

EL BROMANCE posted:

E: it's the older purple one they have for $30 I'd get.

I don't recommend the last gen purple Roku Stick (model 3500). It's slow and laggy, and Plex doesn't run all that great on it. The newer all black Roku Stick (model 3600) runs the Plex app great, and performance wise is on par with the latest Roku 2 model. It's $20 more, but has gone on sale for $40 in the past. If you want to stay around the $30 price point, just get a current gen Chromecast for $35.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Atomizer posted:

Well you said you'd just keep the Roku around as a backup anyway. The iPhone w/cable would still be useful for the same purpose, I just figured since you already have a device that can stream from Plex, all you need is the cable.

True, I just feel like having to have my phone tethered to a tv is a bit annoying and limits what I can do on it at the same time (if it's anything like AirPlay, opening Facebook is often enough to kill the feed). I was thinking the stick might be good in the guest bedroom for people staying over, uses like that.

teagone posted:

I don't recommend the last gen purple Roku Stick (model 3500). It's slow and laggy, and Plex doesn't run all that great on it. The newer all black Roku Stick (model 3600) runs the Plex app great, and performance wise is on par with the latest Roku 2 model. It's $20 more, but has gone on sale for $40 in the past. If you want to stay around the $30 price point, just get a current gen Chromecast for $35.

Any more detail about 'all that great'? I generally run fairly low bitrate 480p streams remotely, 720p if I feel it's worthwhile. Would that be pushing it or is it just people trying to do 1080p native bitrate that suffer? Or is the UI a slow and frustrating mess too?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Any more detail about 'all that great'? I generally run fairly low bitrate 480p streams remotely, 720p if I feel it's worthwhile. Would that be pushing it or is it just people trying to do 1080p native bitrate that suffer? Or is the UI a slow and frustrating mess too?

It's mostly UX performance issues, yeah. The purple Roku Stick takes a long time to just open Plex and once you're in, opening libraries takes a long time, movie thumbnails take a long time to populate, UI animations are laggy, etc. Content playback is fine, but it's a miserable experience to navigate. Those issues weren't just in Plex either, they're prevalent throughout all aspects of navigation on the device. I ordered one on a whim from Amazon to test out their same day shipping a little while ago. When I received it and tried using it, it was just way too slow and bad. Shipped it back to Amazon the next day. The new Roku Stick is a significantly better user experience.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

It'll do 1080 fine to a point (might be 8mbit, I forget) but it takes 4-6minutes to boot up when you power on and then perhaps 2-3minutes to wade through the UI lag and get something loaded.
If you want to keep something going forward try to find the newer models.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that does sound throroughtly unpleasant. Sounds like something that should never had made the shelf! Definitely glad I asked then! Thanks

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just bought a new NAS, the WD My Cloud PR4100. Right now I'm still cursing the installation process. I've started the native Plex server on the device and am copying over a few music files to make sure everything is working as it should.

I don't want to use the native Plex server long-term; I want to have the server live on my Linux box and address the NAS. I currently have a Plex server running on the Linux box, serving files stored on its filesystem. I want to change to having the Plex server serve files from the NAS. I'm going to be creating a new Plex database in any case, because I've upped for the Plex Pass to make it possible to import a lot of unlabeled tracks. Am I right in thinking the way to do this is as follows?
  • Copy the existing media files over to the NAS, sorted into the usual /Music /Videos /TV Shows directories. The /Music directory won't be organized or named appropriately, because I'm importing all the FLAC files from my Olive Symphony, which doesn't tag them. (sobs)
  • Mount the NAS as a Samba drive on the Linux box.
  • Tell the Plex server to use the NAS filesystem as the official Plex database.
  • Wait forever for everything to be reindexed, approving renaming as it happens.

What am I missing?

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism
I was watching EVO last night and the Roku has a loving garbage official Twitch app, doesn't show more than 5-10 channels period when browsing and is locked at 480p or something. I found a Plex addon for Twitch which supports quality selection and the channel browsing/searching actually works. Supports OAuth tokens and pulls followed channels.

[REL] TwitchMod - Twitch.TV with extra features
https://github.com/coryo/TwitchMod.bundle/releases/latest

Just slap the git directory in your plug-ins folder and rename to TwitchMod.bundle and restart PMS, doesn't work in Plex Web player for me for whatever reason but was an easy solution for getting 1080p Twitch up on my big screen if your official set top app is a piece of poo poo.

the auschwitz diet fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 18, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Can vouch for TwitchMod. It's an essential plug-in for any stream monsters since pretty much all official Twitch apps are terrible.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Got my Fire Stick up and running with Plex. When I first tried it, it seemed like it was dropping frames so I put Kodi on with PleXBMC and it seemed fine on the same movie. Went back to Plex and then that seemed fine too, so I guess I'll stick with that. Seems to be working just fine over WiFi and it's much better than that Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4 they had before. Menus seem smooth enough, about the same in Kodi as it was on my RPi2. I probably wouldn't have bought one at full price but for £19.99 it's not that bad for something my parents will use every now and then. I guess Plex is much easier to use for a technophobe than Kodi would be, even if I stripped the menus down. Since there is only 2 options, Movies and TV, it's hard to gently caress it up and I don't need to do any set up on it. Now I just need to make it so Plex is the only thing that ever runs so if it gets switched off, they never see the Fire Stick homepage.

I think i'd still prefer to use Kodi for myself... If I had to share across devices I'd probably use the Emby addon over Plex, but I think for my parents use case on Plex is great - or like my sister's case where her Smart TV already has a Plex app so I didn't have to buy anything extra.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thanks to my previous music store, all my CD files have names like data/AudioLibrary/CD_7d10f309/track03.flac and
data/AudioLibrary/CD_7d10f309/track04.flac . Plex Plus has correctly recognized most of them, so that's nice.

What would be the downside of my using Filebot to rename them all something sensible? Will Plex Plus freak if there are ostensibly two copies, hardlinked?

beeman
May 7, 2008

last night i spent way too much time editing the file names of mad max and max 2 so plex would actually show the proper poster :) i haven't got mad max 2 to work yet :)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

beeman posted:

last night i spent way too much time editing the file names of mad max and max 2 so plex would actually show the proper poster :) i haven't got mad max 2 to work yet :)

You know you can do that manually, right? Go to the movie, click on the edit pen, go to poster, and if it isn't in the list just click on choose a file and use something on your computer or put in a url or something.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

Has anyone else had recent issues with plex not updating any metadata? the last four movies I've loaded just appear blank and don't find posters or anything. I feel like it started after the last update.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Skipopatomus posted:

Has anyone else had recent issues with plex not updating any metadata? the last four movies I've loaded just appear blank and don't find posters or anything. I feel like it started after the last update.

Hmm, I haven't added any new media to notice any metadata issues, but I do recall Plex did something regarding updating the media agents. I suppose that could have something to do with it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It would be nice if the ATV app told me it couldnt connect to my Plex server due to a version discrepancy rather than just failing to connect forever with no indication at all.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Plex has Netflix style continuous play now. It's pretty great!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Skipopatomus posted:

I came to ask about the same thing.

I've had a huge problem with this. I added a bunch of shows and it won't put anything up for them.

I went into the log and metadata folders to check, and it's downloading all of it, it's just not surfacing it for whatever reason.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

Plex has Netflix style continuous play now. It's pretty great!

For what player?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm getting the continuous play thing on the Android App casting to Chromecast.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Skipopatomus posted:

I just set Plex up a couple days ago and have been moving movies in batches as I'm also in the process of reorganizing all my drives and threw a new 2tb into my tower.

Anyhow, the first batch I moved were fine and have actual posters. Everything I've added later just shows what appears to be a random screenshot and unless it's a recognizable character, it's hard to tell what is what at a quick glance. And even at that, it might just be a random forehead or left eye. I've tried force refresh but I may have to try and fix each one individually.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I think the TV metadata agent is currently borked for adding new TV series to your library.

Edit: I take that back, I had a new series add properly, I just have one that refuses to even though it is on TVDB.

Moey fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 23, 2016

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

After getting a chance to mess with it some more, I fixed my issue with covers/posters with one of those unexplainable fixes. If I refresh the library as a group, it doesn't work. However, if I click a movie and refresh each individual movie I get correct covers.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Hughlander posted:

For what player?

My Apple TV 4 Plex (beta) app started doing it with the last upgrade and my Roku started doing it recently.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How do you get on the beta program for the Apple TV? That's the first time I've seen mention of it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dev account.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There's a form post about it on the PlexPass apple TV forum. You need them to add you and then the app appears in testflight.

Edit: Here's the thread https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/209629/help-us-beta-test-the-app#latest

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 23, 2016

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
I'm guessing the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there any way to watch Youtube live streams on Plex?

I found and installed [this](https://github.com/kolsys/YouTubeTV.bundle) and it works in a sense that I can see all of my subscriptions and the videos play fine, but it doesn't support live streams even though it says it does. Live streams don't even show up on the list of available videos for channels I'm subscribed to.

Is it possible at all?

I'm trying to watch Sky News, if it makes any difference. It's an official stream.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone using Plex on a Roku 4? Just picked up a check 4k vizio TV and while everything looks nice, I have had some high nitrate stuff and using a wired connection I get some stuttering and freeze on truhd 1080p sources.

I think a dedicated CPU to show it vs the TV is what i need but I don't as hoping to ditch the roku 3 and use everything direct.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Vanellope posted:

I'm guessing the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Is there any way to watch Youtube live streams on Plex?

There are in Plex's Channels forum, but Plex Channels are one of those things like XBMC plugins where they randomly break since they unofficial add-ins that often break when the service they're talking to changes something on their end.

I don't know what you're running Plex on, but both YouTube and Sky News have apps for a lot of things.

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Craptacular! posted:

There are in Plex's Channels forum, but Plex Channels are one of those things like XBMC plugins where they randomly break since they unofficial add-ins that often break when the service they're talking to changes something on their end.

I don't know what you're running Plex on, but both YouTube and Sky News have apps for a lot of things.

Ah okay, thanks. I guess that's a "no" then, we're running Plex on my husband's PC...

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Hey I need a Plex server!

It will be used ~only~ as a Plex server. Also, it doesn't need to be particularly large - I don't foresee needing more than 2tb in the near future. Finally, I want something that my computer will easily see as a NAS as well so that I can use it with Backblaze to back the stuff up. What is my cheapest option? I don't have a desktop or laptop running 24/7, otherwise I'd just do that. I don't want to have any transcoding issues, so I'm willing to pay extra for something with enough oomph to make the process fairly painless.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It costs an arm and a leg to get a NAS that can do transcoding. Run a PC 24 hours a day with the Plex server to handle transcoding and buy a NAS for storing the videos, or buy a mini computer hooked up to an external drive or something. I have a Haswell i3 running 24/7, chances are a NUC will do (though I've never owned one).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just set up a Skylake i3 NUC running Linux for pretty much exactly what you're asking though I have an additional storage-only NA. There should be options to set it up for SMB shares or you can get an additional NAS which will be a bit easier to deal with for the backup part of it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

IuniusBrutus posted:

It will be used ~only~ as a Plex server. Also, it doesn't need to be particularly large - I don't foresee needing more than 2tb in the near future. Finally, I want something that my computer will easily see as a NAS as well so that I can use it with Backblaze to back the stuff up. What is my cheapest option? I don't have a desktop or laptop running 24/7, otherwise I'd just do that. I don't want to have any transcoding issues, so I'm willing to pay extra for something with enough oomph to make the process fairly painless.

If you're okay with spending over $1,000 before hard-drives you can get a Qnap TVS-471/671 with the pentium or i3 (Pentium should be enough if it's 1 or 2 1080p streams at a time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

If you only want PMS with transcoding, I'd go with an nVidia Shield for cost, power consumption, and size. You can get the cheaper version and throw in a ~64 GB SD card for adoptable storage to make sure PMS works, and hook up an external HDD to store your media. The only hitch is being able to use Backblaze directly from it, but you could deal with this by backing up your content manually first; you probably won't be making changes to your media drive on a daily basis.