Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

lol this character literally just came up 1 minute ago on a podcast I'm listening to.

Yeah, Mandel's interview about how she didn't think post-society humanity would be never ending rape gangs was a really solid point. It's one of the reasons I really liked the book.

I had a big problem with that section of Blindness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I had a big problem with that section of Blindness.

I was thinking less of Blindness, and more of something like The Road. In Blindness at least it is effectively a prison scenario where a group of disparate people have been quarantined into an asylum where there aren't even any guards, so the strong begin to prey on the weak. In The Road it's like "nothing but cannibal rape gangs from here to the coast, son!"

But yeah I think it says bad things about society that this is the constant fear that people live under. Like we can't even let our current corrupt government fail because otherwise we will be the prey of these horrible animals.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Road at least isn't really meant to be taken literally

on a sidenote Oprah thought it was about global warming and I still lol when I remember that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

M-O-O-N, that spells I disagree with the fundamental assumptions

idgi

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I disagree with the fundamental assumption of most post apocalyptic fiction and find it to be generally ahistorical

my one true dream in life is that I get to experience post-apocalyptic fiction where the premise is that humans actually manage to function alongside each other, like we did tens of thousands of years prior to modern society and technology.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Noonan from Stephen King's The Stand is a mentally handicapped adult who has a verbal tic where he spells everything like Moon.

"I love apocalyptic fiction! M-O-O-N, that spells apocalypse!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

my one true dream in life is that I get to experience post-apocalyptic fiction where the premise is that humans actually manage to function alongside each other, like we did tens of thousands of years prior to modern society and technology.

Like Dog Stars is the worst because it views society breaking down as humanity becoming feral raiding groups of four or five people each murdering each other to survive.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like Dog Stars is the worst because it views society breaking down as humanity becoming feral raiding groups of four or five people each murdering each other to survive.

I want a !kung post-apocalyptic novel

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

blue squares posted:

Oh my god I have no attention span and can't finish any loving books. Like My Beautiful Friend. So instead I'm reading Station Eleven which is really good and a twist on what was once my favorite genre

Station Eleven is bland and not that good. Agree with the person saying it is an MFA book. Now if you want a good post-apoc book try Wolf Road, that's a humdinger and not a boring piece of poo poo, and there is only one crazy person in it (or is there?).

Also there was still a crazy murderous cult in Station Eleven (plausible) but also a travelling group enacting Shakespeare (lol as if that is remotely plausible, also, heaby-handed much 'there is still beauty in the world' urgh).

the_homemaster fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 21, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The traveling Shakespeare company was actually rad because traveling shows definitely used to exist and makes sense for people to want to band together both for protection but also to entertain people and make their livings that way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you went to the Globe you'd think the world was ending, what with all the pandering to groundlings.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I enjoyed Station Eleven so much I read it in a day. And while it's not all that important, I think I need to defend the theatre troupe. I found the travelling Shakespeare company charming and not too far-fetched in a post-apocalyptic setting, particularly since it has historical precedent (as somebody above me pointed out). It's probably one of the more page-turny books that could justify its place in a lit thread--it expertly weaves a lot of disparate arcs and addresses big human questions with considerable style. I don't consider "too skilled/educated/workshopped" to be a legitimate criticism at a time when a lot of mediocre novels get praised seemingly just because they're so goddamn opaque that reviewers slap the "postmodern" label on them and call it a day.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 21, 2016

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

The traveling Shakespeare company was actually rad because traveling shows definitely used to exist and makes sense for people to want to band together both for protection but also to entertain people and make their livings that way.

they existed right up until the late 70s/early 80s here in norway even

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

Tom Noonan from Stephen King's The Stand is a mentally handicapped adult who has a verbal tic where he spells everything like Moon.

"I love apocalyptic fiction! M-O-O-N, that spells apocalypse!"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha. The character is Tom Cullen

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

stepgen king is not good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I like the one about the writer in New England struggling with an evil that is a metaphor for addiction

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

on a sidenote Oprah thought it was about global warming and I still lol when I remember that

is that why it was on her book club or whatever?

I have been dimly aware that Oprah had Cormac McCarthy on her show or something and I always wondered about that because he seems very much not to be writing the kind of thing Oprah would enjoy

she doesn't really seem like a baby tree kind of person

Zorodius fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 23, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually King has three good books

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

calling your bluff

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Dark Towers 1, 2 and The Shining (Kubrick film shooting script)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dark Tower 1 is edgelord bullshit sorry

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I quite like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

blue squares posted:

The Stand, The Shining, and It.

Misery, Bag of Bones, and Duma Key

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You guys know when i wrote bad poo poo about Stephen King I was trolling right

It's The Shining, On Writing and Skeleton Crew

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004
What is the worst book you've read in the last few years?

Mine is "World War Z" by Max Brooks. This is just bad, not bad literary fiction, but it was still interesting because of the ways it failed. Some of these ways were normal, like it was incredibly badly written, and every character in it (it consists of interviews with people from around the world) all speak with the same voice and are essentially the same person, and nothing interesting ever happens.

But it also failed in a way I had never considered before, so even though reading it was a miserable experience there was still some value in it: Max Brook is unable to properly use poetic language. He doesn't understand the difference between first-person and third-person poetic imagery, and I had never seen anyone fail so awfully in that way before.

The main thing he did was use a poetic image that would have been hackneyed and bad in third person, in first person. The one example that stuck with me was a member of the japanese or chinese navy who had been set ashore and was watching the ship (I think it was a sub) disappear out to see, at night, with the captain looking at him, and he thought something like "and the last thing I saw were the lights of Shanghai reflected in the captain's eyes".

It's bad in many ways (such as you have to be very close to someone to see lights reflected in their eyes), but this person would never ever ever have said something like that when interviewed about his life. It would never ever have happened. And every character did this, they all said, in first person, the bad lines that the hack writer had thought up, and no one ever stepped in and said no.

After this book I started noticing it in other books, but no one has gotten it wrong as much, it's usually just one instance here and there, and not as jarring. So reading bad books can be good, in that you learn more about how literature works by seeing how it can fail.

Saerdna fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 23, 2016

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I really liked 11/22/63.

Worst book I've read in a while is The Darkness Between the Stars by Kevin J. Blanderson. Almost forty loving POV characters and only a few of them have any sort of personality.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Im reading some Kate Chopin and really digging it!. Cheers to Kate.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013
I liked World War Z well enough for what it was. It may have been a time and place thing for me. That's one of those books I read at 17 that I probably will never return to.

The worst book I've read recently (and probably the worst book I've ever read in my entire life) is Hell House by Richard Matheson. I like to read horror books in October, and a couple years ago I had lined up some Ligotti I hadn't read, Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill, and Hell House, and all three were disappointing, but Hell House was the only one that actually made me angry about how bad it is. It's an ugly, offensive book with no redeeming qualities.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I listened to the audiobook of World War Z on a long international flight, and maybe it was the crippling jet lag, but it was pretty cool to listen to. The whole interview style and different people reading the different sections really worked with the story.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I ordered a cheap nasty ripoff edition of The Ramayana which was an abridged and clunky translation. Should have known better I suppose.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Saerdna posted:

What is the worst book you've read in the last few years?

Gilead, obviously

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Schmischmenjamin posted:

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

I read that one too, it got pretty doofy by the end.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Gilead, obviously

City on Fire

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

City on Fire

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
read the blind owl

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
im not going to read this entire thread again just to find out yall argued about legit fantasy artforms again but the white book is a good book about an autistic man who stands on ceilings

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

fantasy zone posted:

legit fantasy artforms

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel did you like my gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

Solitair posted:

I read that one too, it got pretty doofy by the end.

I loved it at the beginning when it was horror, but it got less interesting as it departed from the initial haunting premise. That's Joe Hill's problem. Anytime he strays away from horror (with the notable exceptions of some of the short stories in 20th Century Ghosts) his poo poo falls all apart. That's my biggest problem with The Fireman: the few parts that are scary are so, so good, and the rest of it is derivative sentimental mushiness, with all the irritating polysyndeton that implies. I guess I like it alright, but it's nowhere near the heights of Locke & Key or NOS4A2.

But whatever, that's not what this thread is about. I'm finishing that frickin book 2night and starting Sometimes A Great Notion. I'm PUMPED.