Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bee Movie reference in episode two of the new Bojack season :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Home alone on a rainy night, perfect time to watch Treasure Planet :3:

Goddamn I hate the design of Jim. It looks like in 5 more years he'll be Dermott Fictel.

Edit: Great movie. Such a terrible, emo, early 2000s alt-rock song, though.

Quite a touching father-son-esque relationship between Jim and Silver. I wish Silver was my daddy... :getin:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 22, 2016

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Hedrigall posted:

I wish Silver was my daddy... :getin:

OK, I know you make these "jokes" a lot, but from this thread alone I feel like we know way too much from you already.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Bee Movie reference in episode two of the new Bojack season :laugh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
so... Boss Baby has a poster now.

:smith:

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

A new Lego batman trailer is up:
https://youtu.be/h6DOpfJzmo0

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

thelaughingman posted:

This looks better than literally any of the live action Batman movies combined

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Macaluso posted:

This looks better than literally any of the live action Batman movies combined

Hey now the Adam West Batman movie is still good :colbert:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

thelaughingman posted:

These continue to be a heavy source of joy for me.

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug
Crossposting from Who Greenlighted This poo poo:

So, uh, Max Landis is writing a Pepe Le Pew Movie for WB.

Setting aside Max, it seems really weird for WB to try a movie of Pepe of all characters. I'm not sure how a sexual harasser will go down as a protagonist for a kid's cartoon movie in 2016.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Gritty yet sensitive reimagining of classic characters, like Boy's Night. An aging pick-up artist desperately looks for real human connection, always undermined by his own odiousness. Odouriousness.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

sam16 posted:

Setting aside Max, it seems really weird for WB to try a movie of Pepe of all characters. I'm not sure how a sexual harasser will go down as a protagonist for a kid's cartoon movie in 2016.

Wouldn't be the first time a single Loony toon tried to get thier own movie, there were botched plans for a Marvin Martian and Taz movie too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sam16 posted:

Johnny Bravo was basically the same idea and that wasn't a million years ago.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm 90% certain there were people complaining about Pepe Le Pew and how much they didn't like him because he was a skeevy rapist in this very thread not too many pages back, so :shrug:

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky

sam16 posted:

Ugh. I'm a huge fan of Looney Tunes, but I think a Pepe le Pew movie sounds like a terrible idea. As you say, a movie about a sexual harasser would be pretty awful. The original cartoons were sort of funny and done well in that the object of his affections usually beat the crap out of him or escaped (and the one time she decided she liked him, HE fled from her).

But hey, lately it seems like the trend for children's films is piss gargling and poop eating, so what the hell do I know about entertainment? I guess they want to tap into the widely uncharted market of desperate weirdo stalkers?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Basically, the only way Landis is ever gonna write something a studio will actually produce is if he pulls a Mr. Peabody & Sherman/Inside Out/Zootopia and didactically refashions an old animated property (Peabody's Improbable History/Emotion & Reason/Watership Down) to moralize its 'problematic elements.'

Which is sad because, as with Johnny Bravo, you would think people would be able to say, "This guy is a gross masher!" and realize that they've already gotten the joke. Not like Landis is up to snuff to carry the joke much further/do anything really subversive with it, but they could have at least tried out-sourcing the project to, say, a couple of French filmmakers. Maybe the cats who did Persepolis.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cheese Pain posted:

Ugh. I'm a huge fan of Looney Tunes, but I think a Pepe le Pew movie sounds like a terrible idea. As you say, a movie about a sexual harasser would be pretty awful. The original cartoons were sort of funny and done well in that the object of his affections usually beat the crap out of him or escaped (and the one time she decided she liked him, HE fled from her).

The original cartoons were weird because they were so up and down on if pepe was a sympathetic character or not and if the punishments he were getting were serious or not. All of the shorts showed him as misguided but it was hit or miss how much it seemed like the shorts thought he was an actually bad guy. Some of them really went out of their way to make him clearly the bad guy in the situation and really beat him up and punished him for it, others felt like he was being treated as misguided but generally deserved to get the girl and his setbacks were just challenges on that path.

like even contemporary at the time you could tell there was people writing him with "being a french rapist is bad" in mind and others writing it like "he's the lovable loser you should be rooting for"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Today's a pretty easy day to watch the whole Pepe Le Pew filmmography. Think I'll do that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The most likely scenario (assuming it ever happens) is probably "annoying guy with a redemption story". So basically something like

quote:

- Pepe is a well known romantic, who has women throwing themselves at him.

- One day, he finds someone who's not interested in him (may or may not be that cat).

- He chases her around, being unaware of her repeated rejections.

- Eventually, climax where she lays it all out and tells him to gently caress off.

- Some sort of disaster happens (probably no explicit antagonist, more like a dangerous situation occurs) involving the love interest.

- Pepe is the only one around, and he saves her.

- Their relations soften somewhat.

Either that or they'll make him a loser that's never had a date, but same general outline.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Just on the first Le Pew short, Odor-able Kitty, and already there's a twist: It's about a tom cat. https://vimeo.com/91766075

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the difference between the two is Johnny Bravo gives up and moves on when women shot him down (and earlier episodes shows he's generally okay on a date - just weird poo poo keeps happening and his ego), Pepe Le Pew chases the same cat the entire picture, and tries to trap them so they can't run away.

Add in not every single episode of Johnny Bravo is about him trying to get tail.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Pepe also reveals that he's a skunk, wearing a dog suit, wearing a skunk suit, so that he can have sex with a dog.

He's also an Academy Award Winner!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

K. Waste posted:

Pepe also reveals that he's a skunk, wearing a dog suit, wearing a skunk suit, so that he can have sex with a dog.

That ending sure is... something...

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

I think the difference between the two is Johnny Bravo gives up and moves on when women shot him down (and earlier episodes shows he's generally okay on a date - just weird poo poo keeps happening and his ego), Pepe Le Pew chases the same cat the entire picture, and tries to trap them so they can't run away.

I think different episodes take it different amounts but basically I'm saying johnny bravo is how you write a modern version of sexually aggressive dude for a children's cartoon. He was a good guy that was the hero but a bunch of the jokes were him coming on way too strong to women that didn't want it and them punching him or smashing his feet or making something fall on him or whatever. You could easily adapt pepe to be that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What is that face even suppose to be?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Robindaybird posted:

What is that face even suppose to be?
At this point they have to be in on the joke.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

K. Waste posted:

Man, what the gently caress even WAS Now You See Me?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So many of the faces in that picture aren't even doing the face...

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

Add in not every single episode of Johnny Bravo is about him trying to get tail.

I think Johnny Bravo also works better because when fleshed out into a full series he is characterized as being a giant, naive manchild basically so it's more clear that he isn't malicious about his advances and simply doesn't understand how to approach women.

Speaking of man children, I have no hope that Boss Baby is going to be good in any way, shape or form.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

So many of the faces in that picture aren't even doing the face...

That, and also... who is that yellow elf? I thought I'd seen every DW animated film and it's not ringing a single bell?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pick posted:

That, and also... who is that yellow elf? I thought I'd seen every DW animated film and it's not ringing a single bell?

It's apparently from the Monsters vs Aliens TV show.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I have no idea who this is supposed to appeal to.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well.... not me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Renoistic posted:

*In extremely funny voice* the boss is a baby

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Renoistic posted:

It sounds like a mix between Toy Story/Life of Pets and Cats & Dogs.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

dirksteadfast posted:

I think Johnny Bravo also works better because when fleshed out into a full series he is characterized as being a giant, naive manchild basically so it's more clear that he isn't malicious about his advances and simply doesn't understand how to approach women.

Though the earlier series gives him more a success rate (note his bemused reaction when he's offered as a Virgin sacrifice).

And he reacts with disgust to the guy with the big song and dance number about lying in order to get women - it says a lot.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

*In extremely funny voice* the boss is a baby

Ohhhhh now I get it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

K. Waste posted:

..Zootopia (...) Watership Down...

what

I agree with the rest of your post but still