Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Am I late to Ghibli chat? Spirited Away is objectively the greatest animated film ever made you god drat edgelords :mad:

the final scene at the bathhouse is kinda weak though

Pick posted:

I tend to think of films coming out of his studio as "Miyazaki films" even if he wasn't the director because I think he exercises a considerable degree of control in the types of films that Ghibli produces. But yeah that's a fair differentiation to point out. On that note, Takahata's films have their own feel, but I think the two of them together have a pretty unified vision for their approach to animation. Some of the other directors, I wouldn't quite agree.

I think this is valid for the rest of the non-Miyazaki films that came out of Ghibli, but I've always felt that Takahata's are distinct. I'm sure Miyazaki still had plenty of input in Kaguya etc but they still don't feel like Miyazaki films. Especially since they don't have any airplanes in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

what

I agree with the rest of your post but still

what

As you may recall, the opening of Watership Down is a Creation myth, one in which the essential nature of the characters' universe is portrayed as one of "fear, treachery, bloodlust," but that this nature is, ironically, rooted in the original sin of the rabbits' superior strength, cunning, and virility. In other words, the characters attribute to the negative aspects of their environment a preternatural essence of themselves. This is very similar to how in ancient Hebrew myths, such as the opening chapters of Exodus, the Chosen People are simultaneously oppressed but also fundamentally beyond oppression, and privileged to a divine relationship which bends oppression to its own Will.

Zootopia also opens with a Creation myth steeped in "fear, treachery, bloodlust," but the rest of the movie dismantles this didactically, presenting it ostensibly as a racist construct. Because what Zootopia fears isn't precisely that, say, the Sun God really has ordained some animals to be bloodthirsty savages while others are the Chosen few, impotent enlightened. Rather, it's the realization that the world is possessed by fear, treachery, and bloodlust, but there is no Sun God responsible for it, there was no Original Sin, "all the world will be your enemy," but your enemy 'knows not what they do.' In reactionary response to this traumatic realization of the failures of secularism to account for the scope of human suffering outside of American hegemony - the 'mythic' jungles of savagery that are actually contemporary to Zootopia, existing outside its borders - the reactionary response is actually the phenomena of conspiracy theory. The sporadic, 'uncivilized' violence of the oppressed predators is not 'legitimate political dissent,' but a spontaneous outgrowth of a wolf in sheep's clothing using mind-control serum.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

I think this is valid for the rest of the non-Miyazaki films that came out of Ghibli, but I've always felt that Takahata's are distinct. I'm sure Miyazaki still had plenty of input in Kaguya etc but they still don't feel like Miyazaki films. Especially since they don't have any airplanes in them.

well... grave of the fireflies does... ... .....

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
genuinely though I was just watching Totoro the other day and noticed how even in that Miyazaki found a way to slip in a scene of Satsuki looking up in awe as a sorta fantasy airplane flies past.

the guy knows what he likes I guess

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Koramei posted:

I'm sure Miyazaki still had plenty of input in Kaguya etc but they still don't feel like Miyazaki films. Especially since they don't have any airplanes in them.

Neither did Ponyo, Mononoke, Sprited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. :v:

I guess Kiki doesn't either, technically.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Samuel Clemens posted:

Neither did Ponyo, Mononoke, Sprited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. :v:

I guess Kiki doesn't either, technically.

Kiki had that glider thing.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

seems a little early and presumptive to start making movies about Trump's presidency

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

mycot posted:

it had the hugeass airship too

I guess I shoulda said "flying machines", I dunno what of his stuff would actually count as airplanes outside of Porco Rosso and Wind Rises. Howl's is actually one of the ones I think of the most when I think of his air stuff, with all the giant bombers and stuff. Were those in the book or did he add them himself? I know the air stuff in Kiki's was entirely his own addition.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

I get what your saying now but unlike your other two examples I don't think it's an intentional reversal of watership down's backstory specifically

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I get what your saying now but unlike your other two examples I don't think it's an intentional reversal of watership down's backstory specifically

I didn't say "intentionally." I said "didactically," which merely means they're very on the nose about it. As far as intent, the film is intentionally (and poorly) attempting to reverse The Lion King and repurpose Education for Death, but Watership Down is still the closest thematic rival, right down to the 'world-building' and extent of anthropomorphism.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't think that's a way I would use the term didactic.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To be sure, you don't necessarily need to believe Zootopia is patronizing in order to accurately assess its didacticism. Even people who criticized in favor of the film strongly emphasized, and loosely corroborated with the filmmakers' intention, its nature as both entertainment and a teaching tool.

I specifically don't give a poo poo about intent. I'm merely confident that Zootopia both 'is what it is,' and also 'is what it is not.'

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Koramei posted:

Howl's is actually one of the ones I think of the most when I think of his air stuff, with all the giant bombers and stuff. Were those in the book or did he add them himself? I know the air stuff in Kiki's was entirely his own addition.

The book is significantly different from the film. It's been a long time since I read it, but I think that although the plot point that one country is trying to recruit magicians for a war is definitely in there, and they are trying to recruit Howl, I'm not sure he ever actually goes to war. It makes sense that the film chooses to show it rather than talk about it, though.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Koramei posted:

it had the hugeass airship too

I guess I shoulda said "flying machines", I dunno what of his stuff would actually count as airplanes outside of Porco Rosso and Wind Rises. Howl's is actually one of the ones I think of the most when I think of his air stuff, with all the giant bombers and stuff. Were those in the book or did he add them himself? I know the air stuff in Kiki's was entirely his own addition.

The movie is very different from the book. The book doesn't have anything with the whole "Howl becoming a monster"-thing. Also he likes to travel to "our" England to visit a family for some reason (it's a really weird tangent and I'm glad it wasn't included in the movie). Also the MCs family has a much bigger role.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

mycot posted:

Yeah, I know, I'm being needlessly pedantic. Miyazaki's love for flying is quite obvious in most of his films, the only real exceptions being Mononoke, Ponyo, and arguably Spirited Away. Which is funny, in a way, because two of these three films are probably his most famous works in the West.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Yeah, I know, I'm being needlessly pedantic. Miyazaki's love for flying is quite obvious in most of his films, the only real exceptions being Mononoke, Ponyo, and arguably Spirited Away. Which is funny, in a way, because two of these three films are probably his most famous works in the West.

Spirited away has that flying scene with Haku. I don't really see how you can exclude that film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, hence "arguably". The motif's there, but it's much more subdued than in most of his films.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Samuel Clemens posted:

I like how ponyo cheats this, like there is no actual planes in the actual sky but half the movie is "what if we stood on the bottom or top of the ocean and a bunch of big fish and military boats flew over us or under us.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The best part of Ponyo is all the lil sea creatures in the back of scenes just chillin

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Which chapter of Watership Down has the dancing tigers? :confused:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Gazelle concert is obviously a homage to the original film's ending with "Bright Eyes".

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Which chapter of Watership Down has the dancing tigers? :confused:

There is the chapter about how the female rabbits sing to induced miscarriage since their warren is so crowded and can't support new life, totally the same thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

There is the chapter about how the female rabbits sing to induced miscarriage since their warren is so crowded and can't support new life, totally the same thing.

The weird dungeons and dragons/watership down game "burrows and bunnies" has a table to roll if you want to miscarry and I never got over how weird reading that game was.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The weird dungeons and dragons/watership down game "burrows and bunnies" has a table to roll if you want to miscarry and I never got over how weird reading that game was.

When the warren is too crowded, the rabbit has ways of shutting that down (rolling a 6 or higher).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
With a title like "Try Everything," you'd hardly figure that Zootopia climaxes in a dystopian conspiracy. It could have come from Lego Movie, Home, Madagascar 3.

"Bright Eyes" sounds like a song from a movie about facing the inevitability of death.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Though the earlier series gives him more a success rate (note his bemused reaction when he's offered as a Virgin sacrifice).

And he reacts with disgust to the guy with the big song and dance number about lying in order to get women - it says a lot.

He also isn't generally cornering his victims

But also Johnny Bravo is worth it just for the Scooby Doo crossover

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think the big difference with Johnny Bravo and Pepe is that Johnny is pretty much always shown to be wrong in his street harassment and posturing gig and does learn his lesson a few times. Pepe never learns anything.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The first season with the rounder art style was also better than the later ones, if my nostalgia is correct

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, Carl and evil pseudo-Pop Tate were great.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Looper posted:

The first season with the rounder art style was also better than the later ones, if my nostalgia is correct

I believe this is also when Seth MacFarlane was writing for the show. I must further add that this was back when Seth MacFarlane was actually pretty funny.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I don't want to see this movie, but I kind of love this terrible poster.

It looks like something that would be used as a background joke in a TV show; A quick "Haha, wouldn't it be hilarious if something this lovely actually got made?" gag.

Das Boo posted:

I dunno, Carl and evil pseudo-Pop Tate were great.

Yeah, I thought the later seasons of Johnny Bravo were pretty good.

The only real problem I have with Johnny Bravo is they didn't end the show by having him marry Samurai Jack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IwfYpVhGRk

Additional Johnny Bravo Thoughts: Another reason Johnny Bravo is less problematic than Pepe la Pew is that he never physically restrains the women he hits on the way Pepe does. Like, when Pepe "flirts" with a girl he puts her in a headlock as she desperately struggles to get away.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 25, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ha, I just noticed that the baby on the cover of the original book was also doing the Dreamworks eyebrows:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wow, the original art looks 100 times more charismatic.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Additional Johnny Bravo Thoughts: Another reason Johnny Bravo is less problematic than Pepe la Pew is that he never physically restrains the women he hits on the way Pepe does. Like, when Pepe "flirts" with a girl he puts for in a headlock as she desperately struggles to get away.

If you watch the first scene with "once upon a dream" in Sleeping Beauty, the prince is doing the same thing to Aurora, constantly reaching out and grabbing her hands to pull her back in as she keeps on backing away. It's really creepy!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fangz posted:

Well it should, it's a dead ringer for Dara Ó Briain

Bu then again most babies are. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fangz posted:

Plus it works as a visual gag in that he looks both like a short, bald middle-aged man and also like a baby, as opposed to that CGI abomination.

e: so basically what Snowglobe said

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and the baby chair also looks like a pared down office desk, adding to visual.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I feel like offering specific criticisms of the execution of the Boss Baby movie implies a certain acceptance of the concept of a whole and I'm just not willing to engage it on that level

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah OT Boss Baby looks like he actually could be in charge of a major multinational, while TFA Boss Baby looks like a poseur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I feel like offering specific criticisms of the execution of the Boss Baby movie implies a certain acceptance of the concept of a whole and I'm just not willing to engage it on that level

it's didactic, don't you see

• Locked thread