Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yes, unpainted plastic looks different, unless you cover the whole thing in clear varnish.

Well I was planning on giving it a matte coat that should pretty much even every thing out right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yup, that'll do the trick.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Awesome thank you

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Making tracks is usually the worst part of building tanks for me, but my current Stug was surprisingly painfree and quick. It's a Tamiya 1/48 StuG III aufs G that I plan to put shürzen on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks exactly like the one I built but then never painted or added the fiddly bits to. Was pretty decent as individual links go.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Looks exactly like the one I built but then never painted or added the fiddly bits to. Was pretty decent as individual links go.

It's not individual links though, maybe 12-14 parts per thread. The great thing was that there was maybe only a one single link piece per thread, while some of my other Tamiya tanks had me assembling maybe 30 pieces per thread, and they ended up being extremely uneven. After the frustration that was my Hobby Boss KV-2 as well, this was amazing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Really, I don't remember the Hobby Boss KV-2 being too bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

It's not individual links though, maybe 12-14 parts per thread. The great thing was that there was maybe only a one single link piece per thread, while some of my other Tamiya tanks had me assembling maybe 30 pieces per thread, and they ended up being extremely uneven. After the frustration that was my Hobby Boss KV-2 as well, this was amazing.
I may possibly be confusing it with the Revell 1:72 Panzer III L which had them, but I'm pretty sure the Tamiya one I built had plenty of single links to stick together even with the short strip parts.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Finally got an airbrush (cheapo Canadian Tire one). How do I set up a fan and stuff so I don't blow myself up?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do you mean a compressor? I didn't know CT sells airbrushes?

Anyway, just don't spray lacquers and other flammable paints through a fan, that's about all you really have to do. If you want to spray those types of paints, you have to have a spray booth rated for flammable vapors.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you mean a compressor? I didn't know CT sells airbrushes?

Anyway, just don't spray lacquers and other flammable paints through a fan, that's about all you really have to do. If you want to spray those types of paints, you have to have a spray booth rated for flammable vapors.

I got both a compressor and a double action siphon feed airbrush in the kit. Are you familiar with the compressor? The manual says I can adjust the pressure, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so, and the compressor refills it to 58 psi. The internet said that acrylic paint should be used at 20-25 psi. Is this fine or do I need to get a regulator?

Edit: after reading some reviews, apparently the knob on the moisture trap is how you regulate the pressure, but it runs at 30 psi anyway if you're actually spraying. I guess the only way to find out is to experiment!

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 25, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do you have a link to the kit you bought? That would help get some solid info on that particular brush and compressor.

Which paints are you using as well?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Different paints (and different airbrushes) require vastly different pressures to spray well. If it doesn't have a decent regulator, then that is probably the first thing you should look at buying and adding to that.

The crappy "Model Expo" acrylics I used on my last ship sprayed best when thinned down to the consistency of milk, and needed about 19-22psi. The Vallejo air paints seem to do quite well out of my primary airbrush at closer to 12psi.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you have a link to the kit you bought? That would help get some solid info on that particular brush and compressor.

Which paints are you using as well?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-air-brush-kit-2991975p.html

All the reviews say that the manual is wrong and you can't actually adjust the pressure after all. Apparently you can rig it with a tank and adjust the pressure on that.

I have a hilarious mix of various paints, mostly Humbrol acrylic and Tamiya. A brief googling suggests that the Humbrol can be thinned with water for airbrushes and Tamiya can be thinned with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Is that true?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Hi thread. Been thinking of getting into this hobby for a while, reminds me of putting together random models from the craft store as a kid with my dad. I think 1/72 is the right scale for me as a newbie and someone with little space / frequent mover. I was looking at this kit: https://www.megahobby.com/products/mk-1-stuart-1-72-hasegawa.html and wanted to get feedback on how it would be for a beginner.

I looked around for some reviews and I believe I found some for this kit that look like it would be a good fit. I'm open to other suggestions as well; I'm partial to early war armor and afvs in general at the moment.

Other than that all the tool suggestions in the op seem straight forward. I think I may hold off on paint until I decide how I find the actual building aspect.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'd suggest starting out with wargaming models. They are cheap and simple, since people build entire armies in one go. My first 1:72nd kit was the Pegasus KV set. 10-15 bucks gets you two tanks (KV-1, KV-1E or KV-2) with not too many parts each. Zvezda makes excellent snap together 1:72nd scale tanks specifically targeted at beginners, although they aren't designed for wargaming.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FastestGunAlive posted:

Hi thread. Been thinking of getting into this hobby for a while, reminds me of putting together random models from the craft store as a kid with my dad. I think 1/72 is the right scale for me as a newbie and someone with little space / frequent mover. I was looking at this kit: https://www.megahobby.com/products/mk-1-stuart-1-72-hasegawa.html and wanted to get feedback on how it would be for a beginner.

A paint scheme perfectly doable with a brush, no transparancies, you could assemble nearly all of it before painting. Lock n' load, I say

FastestGunAlive posted:

I'm partial to early war armor and afvs in general at the moment.

This is the important bit, follow what you are into

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I have a hilarious mix of various paints, mostly Humbrol acrylic and Tamiya. A brief googling suggests that the Humbrol can be thinned with water for airbrushes and Tamiya can be thinned with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. Is that true?

Pretty sure all acrylic paint should be thinable with water? Is the Tamiya acrylic?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think the Hasegawa F-22 that I have might be above my skill level for now. I'm thinking about doing a tank instead. What brands should I look at for my first armor?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FastestGunAlive posted:

I looked around for some reviews and I believe I found some for this kit that look like it would be a good fit. I'm open to other suggestions as well; I'm partial to early war armor and afvs in general at the moment.

Other than that all the tool suggestions in the op seem straight forward. I think I may hold off on paint until I decide how I find the actual building aspect.
Hasegawa 1/72 kits combine the detail of bigger kits with the simplicity of Airfix or Matchbox. They're really well engineered and give beautiful end results, but they do cost about the same as a 1:48 kit around here due to import costs etc. That's a good price though, so if the shipping isn't too bad I think you'll enjoy that kit and get something to be proud of for a first build.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Pretty sure all acrylic paint should be thinable with water? Is the Tamiya acrylic?

Tamiya is a lacquer based acrylic, so while you can thin with water, you'll generally get better results with alcohol or their own branded thinners.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Wait, if it's lacquer based, is it one of those things where the vapour can ignite, or is that not going to happen while spraying?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wait, if it's lacquer based, is it one of those things where the vapour can ignite, or is that not going to happen while spraying?

Technically yes, but Tamiya isn't anywhere as hot as a true lacquer, it's just a lacquer based acrylic.

I've never heard of anyone ever having Tamiya ignite while going through a fan. It's always the super-hot true lacquers, usually metallic lacquers. And saying that, even spraying a hot lacquer isn't likely at all to cause an explosion. Obviously you generally don't want to chance it, but it would be a rare occurrence even so. If anything, it's better to spray a hot lacquer outdoors since it's hell to breath in and it'll stink your place up something fierce. Tamiya is actually quite pleasant to smell, I swear they add some sort of scent to it to mask any other odors.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Mr E posted:

I think the Hasegawa F-22 that I have might be above my skill level for now. I'm thinking about doing a tank instead. What brands should I look at for my first armor?

I build lots of 1:48 ww2 armour, and I think that tamiya's newer kits are beginner friendly. If you are really uncertain, go with a wheeled vehicle, as the tracks are usually the hardest part of most tank kits imho.

Two tanks that I remember being easy to build are their pz 38(t) and the StuG III aufs G I just built. But I would definitely choose a tank that aopeals to me aesthetically, first and foremost.

E:

If you want something very simple, you could check out Rubicon Models. They make models geared towards wargamers, so the kits are made to be quick to build and sturdy as hell. They're less detailed though, and you don't get the "full experience" with things like tracks, as these are often single parts. But if you want to just get used to gluing a tank together and paint it up, it's not a bad start. But be prepared that these kinds of kits don't have a ton of parts, so if you want a project that takes a few evenings, it's not the best choice. I think I threw together Warlord Games' T-34 in an hour or so, and that's while watching TV at the same time.

http://www.rubiconmodels.com/products.php

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 26, 2016

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Tamiya is actually quite pleasant to smell, I swear they add some sort of scent to it to mask any other odors.

Its the alcohol. Stick your nose in some isopropanol, same smell, at least with mine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Airbrush and spraypaint question. I have a lot of spraypaint, and I'm less than pleased with its spray performance at the detail level. I've seen videos that show you can push it through an airbrush if you decant it and use the appropriate thinner. That said,

How can I find out what the appropriate thinner for spraypaint is, and how do I make sure my airbrush is clean after using spraypaint in it?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Greyhawk posted:

Its the alcohol. Stick your nose in some isopropanol, same smell, at least with mine.

I don't know. Iso just smells like alcohol to me, but the Tamiya we get here in Canada smells sort of flowery and fruity.

But it's complicated by the fact that Tamiya has different formulations depending on where you are in the world, which they don't disclose on the labels, and some Isopropyl alcohols can have added scents to them to make them more pleasant for topical applications. So everything smells different all over the world.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

About 80% done on this bad boy. Really happy with this after struggling through a TIE fighter build.

The weathering on the markings is probably too large and was my first time using liquid mask to try chipping. I tried to use dark grey over the base grey to make that look chipped too but didn't like it as much.

I also made the mistake of looking at far better modellers working on the same kit and as inspiring as they can be its gets frustrating not being at that level.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

About 80% done on this bad boy. Really happy with this after struggling through a TIE fighter build.

The weathering on the markings is probably too large and was my first time using liquid mask to try chipping. I tried to use dark grey over the base grey to make that look chipped too but didn't like it as much.

I also made the mistake of looking at far better modellers working on the same kit and as inspiring as they can be its gets frustrating not being at that level.

Chipping isn't exreme enough! The movie props are really heavily weathered with most of the paint missing and every panel not missing is beat to crap. Think 60 year old farm truck.

Edit: I wasn't going to suggest it, but if you're feeling brave, a couple heavy (careful) washes in brown, then black around the edges of the panels will fix the look of the chipping. Just think about where the vehicle has been and what people and the environment hhave been doing to it.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 26, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you don't like the weathering on the stripes, you could always go back in with a fine-celled sponge and stipple in some tighter chipping.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Chipping isn't exreme enough! The movie props are really heavily weathered with most of the paint missing and every panel not missing is beat to crap. Think 60 year old farm truck.

Edit: I wasn't going to suggest it, but if you're feeling brave, a couple heavy (careful) washes in brown, then black around the edges of the panels will fix the look of the chipping. Just think about where the vehicle has been and what people and the environment hhave been doing to it.

Yeah I think I get scared of weathering too much when I've got something looking nice. I did a Millenium Falcon and loved it pre-weathering but actually went in and weathered it heavily and couldn't imagine not doing it.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you don't like the weathering on the stripes, you could always go back in with a fine-celled sponge and stipple in some tighter chipping.

Thats a good shout I might try that out. Thanks!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So, just how big is a 64 gun 3rd rate ship of the line modeled in 1:24 scale?

Umm.. Fairly big...

Hell of a work shop this guy has too! That hanging thing is a light from a hospital operating room.

Oh, and it's pretty damned impressive up close too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Locator posted:

So, just how big is a 64 gun 3rd rate ship of the line modeled in 1:24 scale?

Umm.. Fairly big...

I've been burned by this thread before, and I'm in not convinced that this is NOT a diorama.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've been burned by this thread before, and I'm in not convinced that this is NOT a diorama.

Oh lord, now I'm paranoid, too :tinfoil:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
It does look a little toylike/tilt shifty

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's a very wide-angle lens. Guy doing this build is a photography nerd of some sort too.

Cameras!

Ship out in the middle of the shop.

Both of those photo's are fairly old, from much earlier in the build log thread.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It's posts like these that make me reflect on why my life just hasn't worked out the way I wanted it to

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

It's posts like these that make me reflect on why my life just hasn't worked out the way I wanted it to

Not much of a fair comparison unless you are deep into retirement. That guy is in his 70's I believe (this is purely a guess based on how long he has been retired).

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
A while back I asked some questions regarding a wooden ship kit. Apparently I'm now the owner of it, and it looks to be fully complete.

Dunno if I'll ever get around to building something like this, but I'll have to invest in some tools before I get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I highly recommend getting a simpler ship to build first. Very few people who try something like the Victory as their first wooden ship ever finish it. Starting with that is seriously jumping into the deep end on a build that would take an experienced wooden ship builder 2-3 years to complete.

Some people do manage it, and you might be one of those exceptions, but the odds are against it.