Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I *think* that if you try assigning a lever to a new object, the existing linked item won't be listed, so you can tell what it operates because it won't pop up as you scroll through the options. May be misremembering some mechanics, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kirs posted:

Surprisingly it worked, I even remembered the logic of placing ofthese levers. Hope I'll (not) forget it next time I need to flood my water reservoir.

With dfhack you can name levers, too. I think ctrl-shift-N with it selected?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Subjunctive posted:

With dfhack you can name levers, too. I think ctrl-shift-N with it selected?

Will check it when get back home. That'll be much easier that way.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
You guys realize there's an existing note system in the game without DF Hack right?

I usually put a note over each lever or pressure plate with info on what it activates and how much pressure is required.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

TheCIASentMe posted:

You guys realize there's an existing note system in the game without DF Hack right?

I usually put a note over each lever or pressure plate with info on what it activates and how much pressure is required.

It might be very obvious if you play already for some time, but for a totally new player this can be not. But thanks anyway.

Ctr+Shift+N works fine, it's just there is no listed option if you q'up a building.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Looks like the bug that causes visitors and dwarves in taverns to die from alcohol-poisoning is caused by assigning a tavern keeper, who'll now do his a job a little too well and continually push his patrons into drinking mug after mug until the tavern runs out of alcohol or guests.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mygna posted:

Looks like the bug that causes visitors and dwarves in taverns to die from alcohol-poisoning is caused by assigning a tavern keeper, who'll now do his a job a little too well and continually push his patrons into drinking mug after mug until the tavern runs out of alcohol or guests.

Top tier bartending.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

It's really cool how Toady one is keeping the development page up to date with what he's doing, since I read that page way too many times for my own good on a regular basis; even though I know this dev arc is absolutely going to last at least a year, probably more.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Kirs posted:

It might be very obvious if you play already for some time, but for a totally new player this can be not. But thanks anyway.

Ctr+Shift+N works fine, it's just there is no listed option if you q'up a building.

I checked if there was a note system in the game the second I started with loving with levers like a sane person.

This isn't a game where you wait to stumble across things. It's a game where you go "this would be handy" and check to see if Toady has added it yet.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Kirs posted:

I wasn't saying that to be a dick. I'm just surprised that people knew about the lever naming system in DF hack but not the note option in DF.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Gibbo posted:

I checked if there was a note system in the game the second I started with loving with levers like a sane person.

This isn't a game where you wait to stumble across things. It's a game where you go "this would be handy" and check to see if Toady has added it yet.

I never said I'm the smartest person. I'm a bit overwhelmed with this game, it's hard to remember all the things and look at the right places. Number of options and opportunities in this game is huge and that's what I like in it. Sorry if I look like not a sane person.

TheCIASentMe posted:

I wasn't saying that to be a dick. I'm just surprised that people knew about the lever naming system in DF hack but not the note option in DF.

Never had even a glance of thought that you said it to be a dick, you helped me thank you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kirs posted:

What if I forgot what lever do what? :am:

Use (N)otes.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Mygna posted:

Awaiting the bartender update, where tavern keepers will cut someone off and call them a minecart home... depending on how perceptive the bartender is versus how sneaky the patrons are in acting sober

then Urist McDrunkard falls into the river and drowns so Urist O'Bartender is sentenced to twelve hammer blows

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mygna posted:

Good. Having goblins, elves and humans in the fort is an abomination. And any dwarf that dies from too much booze is no true dwarf.

Kill 'em all and let Armok sort 'em out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mygna posted:

I hope that this is actually just working as intended.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Jazerus posted:

I hope that this is actually just working as intended.

It should still work in DF2025 but you'll have to find a bartender that is dumb enough to do it unintentionally or blasé enough about murder to do it on purpose

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Firing my bartender is a lot less effort than forbidding my booze stockpiles on alternating months.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

TheCIASentMe posted:

I've been playing since 2D and didn't know about either. This game...

Building the levers out of different colored materials is a big help too.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I used to have dedicated control rooms, but now I just try to place the levers in positions that roughly mirror the objects they're connected to, in logical places. So, the lever for the outer floodgate to the fresh-water cistern is on the outermost side of the well room, the inner floodgate lever is on the innermost side of the same room, the west gate control is on the west side of the main dining room, the south gate control is on the south side, etc. Makes it easier to remember, and it also speeds up the lever pulling if they're in areas that are already heavily trafficked by idle dwarves.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Welp, getting rid of my tavern keeper hasn't slowed down the rate at which I lose dwarves to boozing. Oh well.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What's the current preferred "learn to play" guide?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have a legendary tavern and two stills pumping out booze constantly and I've never had someone die from alcohol poisoning, although I don't have any bartenders (lazy assholes can get their own drat drinks).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shbobdb posted:

What's the current preferred "learn to play" guide?

Open the game once. Have no idea what you're doing. Come back to it six months later. Cry yourself to sleep for a few days while you muscle through the learning curve.

Worked for me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

I have a legendary tavern and two stills pumping out booze constantly and I've never had someone die from alcohol poisoning, although I don't have any bartenders (lazy assholes can get their own drat drinks).

I think I just have way too goddamn many idlers so they spend all day boozing and vomiting and punching eachother and aspirating vomit.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I looked at one of my guys' inventory after a fight and there were four loving pages of coatings of dwarf sweat. Every toe listed separately etc. Why is sweat even tracked in the first place?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

I looked at one of my guys' inventory after a fight and there were four loving pages of coatings of dwarf sweat. Every toe listed separately etc. Why is sweat even tracked in the first place?

So it can evaporate and melt your dwarf in process.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

I used to have dedicated control rooms, but now I just try to place the levers in positions that roughly mirror the objects they're connected to, in logical places. So, the lever for the outer floodgate to the fresh-water cistern is on the outermost side of the well room, the inner floodgate lever is on the innermost side of the same room, the west gate control is on the west side of the main dining room, the south gate control is on the south side, etc. Makes it easier to remember, and it also speeds up the lever pulling if they're in areas that are already heavily trafficked by idle dwarves.

This guy has my system down.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kirs posted:

So it can evaporate and melt your dwarf in process.

Freeze your dwarf?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Freeze your dwarf?

Uh, I red somewhere that you can make a evaporation trap because of some weird bugs. Where you first cover selected unit (dwarf or goblin) in water or sweat in our case and place a magma chamber under a corridor where this subject walks, and he melts. I might be wrong though.

http://youtu.be/8kLiXwY2VK8

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, silly me, I was thinking of the usual thermal effects of evaporation.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This loving game.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
One of my axedwarf squads, who had been training full-time for years and were all at Legendary in a couple of non-weapon skills (Observer, etc.) just used their superdwarven agility and situational awareness to charge across a huge stretch of open ground, directly at a swarm of goblin archers, without taking a single loving hit, and completely cut them to pieces. :black101:

I was seriously expecting to lose a dwarf or two on the charge, but they just Matrix-dodged their way past a hurricane of arrows as they hauled rear end into limb-severing range. Didn't even need to use the fancy new hospital I built.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I had a raging drunk craftsdwarf get ambushed by a cave crocodile and just deke around it like Muhammad Ali for a while, before finally getting fed up and hitting it with such a massive haymaker that every single one of its teeth scattered across the floor in a giant mess. He then pursued the panicked, fleeing croc and beat it into unconsciousness until some other drunken dorfs happened by and piled on to help stomp it to death.

That same craftsdwarf lost his wife to drowning (another cave croc attacked her and she fell into the river) and later joined the militia to attack a forgotten beast that resembled a great, three-tailed scorpion with glowing violet eyes. He courageously brawled with the scorpion without taking a scratch, but after it bit the dust I couldn't find anything in the combat log to indicate how it had died, and none of my dorfs or their pets had it listed in their kills. Later on, I noticed I'd forgotten to erect the memorial slab I had engraved for his wife; when I did so, I got a message about her ghost being laid to rest. Did this guy's dead wife get pissed and haunt a motherfucking forgotten beast to death because it attacked her husband? :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angry Diplomat posted:

I had a raging drunk craftsdwarf get ambushed by a cave crocodile and just deke around it like Muhammad Ali for a while, before finally getting fed up and hitting it with such a massive haymaker that every single one of its teeth scattered across the floor in a giant mess. He then pursued the panicked, fleeing croc and beat it into unconsciousness until some other drunken dorfs happened by and piled on to help stomp it to death.

That same craftsdwarf lost his wife to drowning (another cave croc attacked her and she fell into the river) and later joined the militia to attack a forgotten beast that resembled a great, three-tailed scorpion with glowing violet eyes. He courageously brawled with the scorpion without taking a scratch, but after it bit the dust I couldn't find anything in the combat log to indicate how it had died, and none of my dorfs or their pets had it listed in their kills. Later on, I noticed I'd forgotten to erect the memorial slab I had engraved for his wife; when I did so, I got a message about her ghost being laid to rest. Did this guy's dead wife get pissed and haunt a motherfucking forgotten beast to death because it attacked her husband? :stare:

And this is why I 100% support Toady following his vision without too much interference. What sane game developer would create a game in which something like this can spontaneously happen? :allears:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

my dad posted:

And this is why I 100% support Toady following his vision without too much interference. What sane game developer would create a game in which something like this can spontaneously happen? :allears:

yeah, this is why I generally don't complain about Toady's weird autistic bullshit and the constant feature creep, the game is so interesting and every new version produces new stories.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Angry Diplomat posted:

Let's go with "yes"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

"Oh hey meph updated masterwork I wonder what he put-"

:ughh: loving boltgun.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Lawman 0 posted:

"Oh hey meph updated masterwork I wonder what he put-"

:ughh: loving boltgun.

The family edition removes the two lower actions on the pleasure room, then adds actions for smacking around a piņata and eating candy.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

How do i set up my work orders so that my cook will only make food when he has stuff to make it with? I've tried making a condition that's "only if there are more items than 0" or "# of items not 0" but he still keeps trying to make food all the time every time and with soundsense on it turns into a cacophony of pan flute sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
Work orders are kind of backwards to the old workflow. You can't make stop conditions. The stop condition is the amount that is made when you first create the order. When 10/10 or whatever are made, the order goes back in to be checked by the manager.

The conditions you can set are the start conditions. The one I use the most is 'products less than 50' or whatever number.

It sounds like you need a limit on reagents, meaning the things that the food will be made of, and products, meaning finished meals.

If you know about programming, I think I it's basically every x cycles, your conditions are checked, and if they all pass, then start the order.