Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Partycat posted:

I'd been using one of those box fans when cooking a steak or whatever to blow the smoke out the nearby window, which works top notch. However, over time dust has clung to all the grease so the fan looks dirty as poo poo even though it is all thoroughly stuck to it. Short of spending an hour with a toothbrush and simple green to try and slowly clean it all up, is there any sort of general spray degreaser or similar (tried 409) that you could use on the plastic guard and blade to .... degrease it? Other than that I would seriously just budget to replace the stupid thing because it is arduous to try and clean it up.

Got a buddy with a pressure washer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Partycat posted:

I'd been using one of those box fans when cooking a steak or whatever to blow the smoke out the nearby window, which works top notch. However, over time dust has clung to all the grease so the fan looks dirty as poo poo even though it is all thoroughly stuck to it. Short of spending an hour with a toothbrush and simple green to try and slowly clean it all up, is there any sort of general spray degreaser or similar (tried 409) that you could use on the plastic guard and blade to .... degrease it? Other than that I would seriously just budget to replace the stupid thing because it is arduous to try and clean it up.

With most box fans, you can take the grille off by removing four screws. Take that off, then unscrew the plastic nut thing that holds the blade on, then clean the blade in the kitchen sink with dish soap. That's what I always did in my old apartment.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

10 Beers posted:

With most box fans, you can take the grille off by removing four screws. Take that off, then unscrew the plastic nut thing that holds the blade on, then clean the blade in the kitchen sink with dish soap. That's what I always did in my old apartment.

this is a necessity if you own pets

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Pro-tip: duct-tape a 20" pleated furnace filter to the intake side of a box fan and you make an air purifier that will beat expensive commercially available models. Since you only care about protecting the fan and don't need to filter air going outside, even a $5 1" MERV7 pleated filter will keep the fan clean and not block too much airflow. Thicker pleated filters allow more airflow (more surface area), so for in-door dust removal check out 2" MERV10 or below filters, or 4" MERV12 or below filters. MERV12 is approaching HEPA-filter performance and you can buy filters with built-in carbon to absorb odors as well, but if you go for higher MERV levels or on thinner filters the fan won't be able to suck through them. Vacuum out the filters every week or so to extend their lifespan and keep the airflow up.

The expensive air purifiers you can buy are more effective at cleaning particles in one pass through the filter, but their fans don't actually push very much air. This means that for all but the finest particles a box an air purifier will be more effective because the air in the room gets pushed through several times. I added filters to the two box fans we use to circulate air through our house and it's made an AMAZING difference in how dust settles out of the air onto surfaces, and they end up catching a lot of pet hair too.

E: I know it's totally ghetto, but it does really work to the tune of about 10X the clean air delivery rate (for dust and pollen) of an air purifier costing hundreds of dollars. If you already have a box fan sitting in a visible area I think it's worth considering.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 25, 2016

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
The amazing secret air purifier manufacturers don't want you to know!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Will this cut into the duct cleaning guys' business?!

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009
*Pocket post -- ignore*

Aubergine Despot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 25, 2016

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

Pro-tip: duct-tape a 20" pleated furnace filter to the intake side of a box fan and you make an air purifier that will beat expensive commercially available models. Since you only care about protecting the fan and don't need to filter air going outside, even a $5 1" MERV7 pleated filter will keep the fan clean and not block too much airflow. Thicker pleated filters allow more airflow (more surface area), so for in-door dust removal check out 2" MERV10 or below filters, or 4" MERV12 or below filters. MERV12 is approaching HEPA-filter performance and you can buy filters with built-in carbon to absorb odors as well, but if you go for higher MERV levels or on thinner filters the fan won't be able to suck through them. Vacuum out the filters every week or so to extend their lifespan and keep the airflow up.

The expensive air purifiers you can buy are more effective at cleaning particles in one pass through the filter, but their fans don't actually push very much air. This means that for all but the finest particles a box an air purifier will be more effective because the air in the room gets pushed through several times. I added filters to the two box fans we use to circulate air through our house and it's made an AMAZING difference in how dust settles out of the air onto surfaces, and they end up catching a lot of pet hair too.

E: I know it's totally ghetto, but it does really work to the tune of about 10X the clean air delivery rate (for dust and pollen) of an air purifier costing hundreds of dollars. If you already have a box fan sitting in a visible area I think it's worth considering.

this is lifehacky as gently caress

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Elsa posted:

Yeah I guess :shobon: I would be more embarrassed about it except for how ridiculously well it works compared to commercial products. "Lifehacky" stuff generally doesn't actually work for poo poo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfI0NKl-Kq0&t=277s

Also if you put meat between the ridges you get jerky.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

Yeah I guess :shobon: I would be more embarrassed about it except for how ridiculously well it works compared to commercial products. "Lifehacky" stuff generally doesn't actually work for poo poo.

I'm mainly slapping myself for spending far too much money on a 3M pleated filter air filter.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

H110Hawk posted:

I'm mainly slapping myself for spending far too much money on a 3M pleated filter air filter.
Nordic Pure sells filters factory-direct, you can get whatever size and filtration level you want at very reasonable prices. If you aren't too picky they also do clearance sales on Amazon continuously, I got a 2-pack of filters that would have been $20 each for $10 total that way.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

Nordic Pure sells filters factory-direct, you can get whatever size and filtration level you want at very reasonable prices. If you aren't too picky they also do clearance sales on Amazon continuously, I got a 2-pack of filters that would have been $20 each for $10 total that way.

I bought this when I moved into our house: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ESP09E/ I have to change them every 2 months or they start restricting airflow. I'm going to ease up on the filtration next go around. When I get through this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKODZN4/ (Bought at $70/4) I'm going to switch to nordic ones. We don't use it that much anymore now that we don't have a bird.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Oh yeah if you only have a 1" thick filter MERV12 isn't going to work for poo poo, look at the Tru Mini Pleated filters. MERV11 Tru Mini should last about twice as long, if you've been tolerating that pressure drop you could probably use a MERV8 Tru Mini for even longer. As the filter ages small particle performance will drop as the electrets (like magnets but for electrostatic fields) get coated, but >1um filtering performance actually goes up.

The tiny rear end table on comparative pressure drops of various types of filters on this page is super interesting/useful, in my opinion.

E: Of course all of the above depends on how much pressure your system can actually push and how much airflow it requires, but I'm going to assume a system that accepts 1" thick filters is kind of old and not really meant for high performance filters, else it would accept thicker filters. I'm no HVAC expert I just learned a shitton about air filters.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 26, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Alereon posted:

Oh yeah if you only have a 1" thick filter MERV12 isn't going to work for poo poo, look at the Tru Mini Pleated filters. MERV11 Tru Mini should last about twice as long, if you've been tolerating that pressure drop you could probably use a MERV8 Tru Mini for even longer. As the filter ages small particle performance will drop as the electrets (like magnets but for electrostatic fields) get coated, but >1um filtering performance actually goes up.

The tiny rear end table on comparative pressure drops of various types of filters on this page is super interesting/useful, in my opinion.

E: Of course all of the above depends on how much pressure your system can actually push and how much airflow it requires, but I'm going to assume a system that accepts 1" thick filters is kind of old and not really meant for high performance filters, else it would accept thicker filters. I'm no HVAC expert I just learned a shitton about air filters.

Got me! Our "home energy audit" said we were getting most of our CFM. The system was most recently replaced in 2009, but the furnace/blower is in the attic, so the filter is in the hallway. I'm likely just shortening the life of the blower motor / increasing our electric bill. I should run it without a filter for an hour and see if it gets any colder.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

H110Hawk posted:

Got me! Our "home energy audit" said we were getting most of our CFM. The system was most recently replaced in 2009, but the furnace/blower is in the attic, so the filter is in the hallway. I'm likely just shortening the life of the blower motor / increasing our electric bill. I should run it without a filter for an hour and see if it gets any colder.

A clear filter isn't going to cause it to work too hard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'd try this but I'm pretty sure my cat will tear it apart.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Jaguars! posted:

Nice. Guess I was wrong. Do you know hold old the title is?

No idea but old, certainly probably 30 years at least. Not the only one I've heard of in any case.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MG3 posted:

It's when the filter is making noise so loud we have to turn up the TV and realize it's flexing inwards that I wonder this.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

c0ldfuse posted:

I'd personally work my way up the solvent strength chain, eventually you start taking the paint off things.

Lol I work in grocery stores, and they have two types of cleaner -- there's the blue stuff which is basically industrial Windex, and the Pink Stuff that kills everything.

Both delivered as concentrate. If they mix the blue one too strong it's just stinky, if they forget to dilute the pink one with water it fuckin' melts enamel paint. The pink poo poo is basically chlorinated brakleen, afaik.

Edit: seriously the pink one, I have encountered a rusty shelf, sprayed the neat pink stuff on it, let it sit a minute, and moved the paint around to cover the rust. I do not want to get that poo poo on my hands.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 26, 2016

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

MG3 posted:

Well, aren't you the optimist!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Alereon posted:

They also sell... cookies?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Think of it like hardware store popcorn

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Elsa posted:

If it works, it isn't stupid.

I'm going to grab some pleated filters from work and tape them to the two box fans I use to circulate air from the rooms with AC to the rooms without. Between the pets, it being an old house, and full of antiques the dust is outrageous.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

blugu64 posted:

Think of it like hardware store popcorn

Ha, you only get popcorn. Here we get cooked sausages.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

GotLag posted:

Ha, you only get popcorn. Here we get cooked sausages.

Over here we only get that if electrical work is done by homeowners

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kizudarake posted:

Over here we only get that if electrical work is done by homeowners

Conduit is not meant to be used that way!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfI0NKl-Kq0&t=277s

Also if you put meat between the ridges you get jerky.

I have made this jerky. It is delicious.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Alereon posted:

Most duct systems are woefully undersized and anything but the cheapest fiberglass filters restrict airflow too much. With a single speed PSC motor you just lose airflow but with an ECM you run the risk of burning it out. All but the cheapest systems <10 years old are ECM since it lets you hit 13-14 SEER without changing anything else.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Qwijib0 posted:

Most duct systems are woefully undersized and anything but the cheapest fiberglass filters restrict airflow too much. With a single speed PSC motor you just lose airflow but with an ECM you run the risk of burning it out. All but the cheapest systems <10 years old are ECM since it lets you hit 13-14 SEER without changing anything else.
The problem with fiberglass filters is that they provide very little dust removal, so you just shift the location of the air restriction over time from the filter to the evaporator as it packs with dust (at least that's what happened to me, and I understand that is common). If 1" is all you have to work with, a mini-pleated filter at least provides double the surface area of a normal pleated filter, and at MERV8 the flow restriction isn't too much worse than a fiberglass filter. A very cheap 1" MERV7 pleated filter is also only slightly worse initially, but won't last as long before clogging with dust because of the reduced surface area. But yeah if you just throw in a high MERV or Filtrete filter that can be super bad.

I feel bad about all the derailing I started here so I'll note there's the HVAC thread for actual discussion and I'm considering making my own thread for lifehacky air filter stuff.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Delivery McGee posted:

Lol I work in grocery stores, and they have two types of cleaner -- there's the blue stuff which is basically industrial Windex, and the Pink Stuff that kills everything.

Both delivered as concentrate. If they mix the blue one too strong it's just stinky, if they forget to dilute the pink one with water it fuckin' melts enamel paint. The pink poo poo is basically chlorinated brakleen, afaik.

Edit: seriously the pink one, I have encountered a rusty shelf, sprayed the neat pink stuff on it, let it sit a minute, and moved the paint around to cover the rust. I do not want to get that poo poo on my hands.

Long story ahoy:
So I work as a manufacturing engineer at a very large injection molding plant that was functionally a junk molder. By junk molder I mean one of our big accounts was PVC parts for large plumbing fittings--which uses PVC powder. PVC powder is so terrible for literally everything in the building. I had a cut on my arm that just wouldn't heal during a time I was working on a project for those presses for two months. Machines randomly stop working at much higher intervals with random part failures so much more often there. Thankfully all that work got thrown out, but it bears purpose to my story.

At any injection molding plant there are at least 8-10 sprays you use on a super regular basis for things like greasing, degreasing, better release of parts, cleaning specific types of hardness buildup, etc. There was only one all purpose type cleaner which you'd use for anything you didn't need a specific item on. It's the one we burn through the most out of all the production sprays.

I don't work on the floor that much--I'm not sweating bullets hanging steel outside of select occurrences--well we've been doing a large scale 5S out. We've literally never had standards for anything (remember junk molder). Well the first step is literally scraping years of burnt resin from not only the machine itself, but whats burnt in the air from other presses, smoke because at some point because eventually each press gets mistakenly started on fire for one reason or another (usually too low temp melt resin and setting it for a super hot resin melt material), cleaning under the presses super thoroughly (it's tough to get under there unless you really work at it) and uncaking years of dried grease and other hardness in areas which don't get cleaned often. Needless to say the correct spray does wonders for how easy this is to accomplish depending on what you're cleaning.

During the first roll out I had been working at one end of a press on the large powder coated steel panels which encase the heart of the equipment, and a coworker of mine had been working along the other. My coworker happened to be a fresh out of college grad so she had grabbed a bottle of 409 cleaner which was in the office area as we didn't stage the cleaning crew very well (mostly because we didn't exactly know how much work it would take). My manager walks buy and stops, backs up, walks close--the press was now two different shades of color due to the removal of the top layer of paint from the standard degreaser. It had to be the same stuff.

And at that point I realized holy gently caress: the mold hangers regularly use this poo poo without gloves and wipe it up with rags that they reuse.

It's got to be so bad for them--not that they would start wearing gloves even if they knew due to the inconvenience.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm not sure I understand. Did they put industrial cleaner in a 409 spray bottle? The supervisor was surprised because he saw the 409 bottle and expected three colors from dirty/cleaned with 409/cleaned with the industrial stuff?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Terrible Robot posted:

If it works, it isn't stupid.

I'm going to grab some pleated filters from work and tape them to the two box fans I use to circulate air from the rooms with AC to the rooms without. Between the pets, it being an old house, and full of antiques the dust is outrageous.

oh, Alereon yeah sometimes lifehacks are really good and I think your box fan thing is one of the few. I will definitely use the idea if I ever find myself with a dust problem and need to cycle the air through a filter.

And as I'm taping the edges of the filter against the back of the box fan, I will be thinking to myself over and over:

"this is lifehacky as gently caress"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've always found furry fans gross.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've always found furry fans gross.

:golfclap:

I would be afraid to breathe in that room.

Captain Melo
Mar 28, 2014

Are you by any chance in NE Ohio? I do P&P work and saw literally that same fan the other day in the Medina area

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Melo posted:

Are you by any chance in NE Ohio? I do P&P work and saw literally that same fan the other day in the Medina area

What the heck are the blades made of that they grow mold like that?

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.

Jerry Cotton posted:

cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Most indoor fan blades are made from fiberboard, a wood product.

Also, this one is kind of scary: