Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've red one of A.L. Kennedy's books - The Blue Book - and was kind of underwhelmed. Maybe I will check out this new book and see if her style grows on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Ras Het posted:

I've never read any of those but Szalay is gonna win

why?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This Eileen book actually looks pretty rad, I might read that. It has 1 hold on 5 copies for my library's ebook, I wanted to do an all non-fiction month in August because it's been a little time since I have read some, but I am afraid this announcement will make it more popular. Maybe it won't until/if it hits the shortlist.

EDIT: Actually it is apparently available at my library I think I am going to check it out and read it over the weekend

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 28, 2016

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Had a bunch of them on my tbr Hystopia looks good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

how is it pronounced

Goethe.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

how is it pronounced

like fugazi

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
There's no English analogue for the correct pronunciation of "Goethe." It's definitely not "gurta," though. There's an R-ish sound in there, but this is much closer.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 29, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Just write it in ipa then

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
This Neil gaiman book is not very good

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Go-eef.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There is no kind of r-sound in Goethe, it's just what happens when Americans try to emulate the German ö/oe, because the closest thing in the English language is the vowel in words like herd or curd and that only appears before r. Not in German though. It's [ɡøtə].

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Gotye

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbYBlzOHxiE

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

I remember I had a teacher laugh at me because I once said Foe-caalt

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Faw-callt's Pen-dee-Loom

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Foucault's gently caress Cult

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i like goethe's aesthetic criticism, while i don't like faust, because it's garbage.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
by garbage i mean it was probably pretty good but i was in a bad moon when i read it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Are you often in a bad moon? 🌚

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
that was a typo but a very appropriate one because goethe was super into the aesthetics of the cosmos

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

i like goethe's aesthetic criticism, while i don't like faust, because it's garbage.

You're garbage!!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Station Eleven is really starting to get to me, in a good way. I read a passage that made me tear up, and I have had a hard time getting a lot of emotion out of my reading lately. The author has such good prose, and often the most powerful passages are those that are unadorned with any imagery or unusual words, but simply describe an emotional scene in such a succinct and direct way that the intensity of the moment is made more impactful than it would be if the words called more attention to themselves.

And then in other times she does drift into the poetic, and I like those moments a lot, too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

at the date posted:

There's no English analogue for the correct pronunciation of "Goethe." It's definitely not "gurta," though. There's an R-ish sound in there, but this is much closer.

It's like Ø in Danish.

I suspect it's a problem for Americans because most languages in the world use short vowel sounds and American English decided to diphthongise everything.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the paperback release of City on Fire just came out, so if you've been waiting to give it a shot, now's your chance

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I recommend getting the paperback version of City on Fire over the hardback version because you will have wasted less money

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Um excuse me but it's FEWER money

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

the paperback release of City on Fire just came out, so if you've been waiting to give it a shot, now's your chance

I'm not going to read an American named "Garth"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

Or, you know, local library.

Cue everyone saying they live in the middle of nowhere and their library has three Danielle Steel novels and a phonebook.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Cloks posted:

Or, you know, local library.

Cue everyone saying they live in the middle of nowhere and their library has three Danielle Steel novels and a phonebook.

i live in the middle of nowhere, my library is an unfathomable number of hexagonal rooms each containing shelves each containing books each containing quasi-random combinations of characters.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Tree Goat posted:

i live in the middle of nowhere, my library is an unfathomable number of hexagonal rooms each containing shelves each containing books each containing quasi-random combinations of characters.

Sounds labyrinthian.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

blue squares posted:

Um excuse me but it's FEWER money

"Money" isn't a unit of measuring currency like dollars, so he was right the first time. :spergin:

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
I really hope you are joking.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I was

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

nhanha

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A human heart posted:

I'm not going to read an American named "Garth"

you truly are a paragon of taste, anime avatar poster

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Bet you don't appreciate Simon and Garthfunkle either lmao.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
For a Few Dollars Greater

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

you truly are a paragon of taste, anime avatar poster

I am.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

finished American Gods and thank god, I'll not be reading any more of gaiman

Adbot