Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Pretty good chance Russia boycotts/is banned from them again too

For some reason, the hilarity of Russia nearly being completely banned from the Olympics this year, but is still hosting the Summer games in four years just got to me. It like sums up the whole problem with the Olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

exploding mummy posted:

At least he isn't hosting a golf show

That would be so much better!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

For some reason, the hilarity of Russia nearly being completely banned from the Olympics this year, but is still hosting the Summer games in four years just got to me. It like sums up the whole problem with the Olympics.
Ummm no they're not. Tokyo is hosting in 2020.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The fact Beijing is getting the 2022 winter games, now that's pure IOC

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Sash! posted:

Just stick them in Greece permanently so we can be spared the nonsense, but also still probably end up with a corrupt and shoddy affair.

Best of both worlds really

This would be double sweet because the Greeks wouldn't be able to maintain them so there will be two distinct sets of crumbling Olympic ruins.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

This would be double sweet because the Greeks wouldn't be able to maintain them so there will be two distinct sets of crumbling Olympic ruins.

The 04 Olympic sites are already crumbling o it'd be 3

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I wonder if somewhere there's a papyrus scroll detailing the corruption of the original Olympics. Like, all the olive oil they put on their bodies was rancid, and the chariots fell apart during the races and poo poo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Ummm no they're not. Tokyo is hosting in 2020.

He might be thinking of the 2018 World Cup

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

chunkles posted:

I wonder if somewhere there's a papyrus scroll detailing the corruption of the original Olympics. Like, all the olive oil they put on their bodies was rancid, and the chariots fell apart during the races and poo poo

I remember once reading about how the Romans had building codes for stadiums after one fell down and killed a whole mess of people, so probably yes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh, hey. A new bad thing about Rio!

https://twitter.com/HuffingtonPost/status/760265871713562624

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's really an incredible show and I always kick myself for not watching it more.

The story about the girl with no legs who turns out to be Nadia Comaneci's long lost sister is one of the wildest things ever.

Dominique Moceanu.

The sister, Jen Bricker, also did gymnastics, but seems to mostly do speeches now with her adoptive parents. One of the local gymnastics places brought her in a few years ago.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My bad, I went with the only non-American gymnast I can name.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

My bad, I went with the only non-American gymnast I can name.

Dominique Moceanu was American! I had a big crush on her when I was 10.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My bad, I went with the only gymnast from the 90s I can name. Comenici is mentioned in that story as well IIRC

Also her parents were Romanian!

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 2, 2016

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My bad, I went with the only gymnast from the 90s I can name. Comenici is mentioned in that story as well IIRC

Also her parents were Romanian!

Comeneci was the 70s

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
really curious to see how deep this rabbit hole of complete and utter lack of gymnastics knowledge goes

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sash! posted:

Just stick them in Greece permanently so we can be spared the nonsense, but also still probably end up with a corrupt and shoddy affair.

Best of both worlds really

Or just pick countries that can actually handle this poo poo. I know people want to be inclusive to developing nations but you're doing them no favors by having them host these events.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Noctone posted:

really curious to see how deep this rabbit hole of complete and utter lack of gymnastics knowledge goes

*Googles American gymnast ankle*

Kerri Strug GOAT

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
speaking of american gymnasts this still gets me hyped as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNG0QJw7-4A

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

He might be thinking of the 2018 World Cup

I am, oops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Or just pick countries that can actually handle this poo poo. I know people want to be inclusive to developing nations but you're doing them no favors by having them host these events.

Pretty wide definition of developing country, they have mostly selected summer game sites that absolutely can handle it (Australia, US, Greece, China, Japan). When Brazil was selected it absolutely had the resources and was not really a developing country, it's just their economy collapsed afterwards. The entire process is completely corrupt though and just having a 20-year rotation of cities makes way more sense (though 6 years ago I might have included Brazil as one of the potential 5 cities).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ah yes, the internationally famous city of Brazil

:v:

E: but yeah the Brazilian economy took a hard downturn in the last few years and the World Cup mess was a pretty clear sign the Olympics were going to be a disaster.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 2, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DJExile posted:

Ah yes, the internationally famous city of Brazil

:v:

E: but yeah the Brazilian economy took a hard downturn in the last few years and the World Cup mess was a pretty clear sign the Olympics were going to be a disaster.
:tipshat:
Oh you know what I mean.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Noctone posted:

I can name several of the girls that won in London as well as Kerri Strug.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I read a decent article recently about redesigning the Olympics and the gist of it was to have the events be held in different places, and have them maybe rotate. But instead of having to build some $allofit swim center in some new place, just keep having it at one that already exists. And then you can get more countries involved because you only have to worry about a single event rather than the $allofit that comes with every event. It's not like they can't do liver coverage from multiple locations on the globe, either.

I of course can't find this article anymore so...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Inspector_666 posted:

I read a decent article recently about redesigning the Olympics and the gist of it was to have the events be held in different places, and have them maybe rotate. But instead of having to build some $allofit swim center in some new place, just keep having it at one that already exists. And then you can get more countries involved because you only have to worry about a single event rather than the $allofit that comes with every event. It's not like they can't do liver coverage from multiple locations on the globe, either.

yeah but how are the bribes gonna work

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised the IOC hasn't done this solely to bilk multiple countries out of cash instead of just one. Like, the IOC turns from one massive organization with untracable accounts to a thousand LLCs with untracable accounts.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What the hell is Sallofit

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

morestuff posted:

Like $texas but more.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

morestuff posted:

I'm more worried about what "liver coverage" means. Is organ harvesting going to be a new sport in the Olympics?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chunkles posted:

I'm more worried about what "liver coverage" means. Is organ harvesting going to be a new sport in the Olympics?

They're just going to make it official now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

chunkles posted:

Soylent Gold.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Y'know how olympic villages are basically just nothing but athletes loving each other, so they hand out a shitload of condoms?

Now they're worried about journalists loving one another all day

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/760156119402708993/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
lol how did Wyshynski get to go to the Summer Olympics?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh also apparently the amount of contamination in the waters at Rio has actually gone up since last year..

quote:

Despite a project aimed at preventing raw sewage from flowing into the Gloria Marina through storm drains, the waters remain just as contaminated. The first sampling there, in March 2015, showed over 26 million adenoviruses per liter. This June, over 37 million adenoviruses per liter were detected.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

lol how did Wyshynski get to go to the Summer Olympics?

Yeah this is what I would also like to know

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Not many places have a ton of staff Olympics writers

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Wyshynski covered the 2014 Olympics for Yahoo! because of hockey so he has experience. Also he's been a sports journalist/writer for a decade and a half so it's not that weird?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh also apparently the amount of contamination in the waters at Rio has actually gone up since last year..
It's impossible to make jokes about Rio anymore because real life is way more funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

morestuff posted:

It's like Crossfit, but with rape and poo poo-eating.