Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Gonkish posted:

The primary reason I was after a 480 was Freesync. If Nvidia supported Freesync I would have grabbed a 1060, because they're (somewhat) easier to find. Honestly, I get why they're promoting gsync (proprietary tech that they control, money, ecosystem, etc.) but it costs them sometimes, too.

What monitor are you using? I wish there was someone in here with an XR341ck that can tell me how the 480 performs with it. Probably more or less the same as a 390.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
If all goes well Vega shouldn't be too bad. Yes, it's me hedging my bets but based on the comparison of P10 to Hawaii, Vega 10 should be some 20-25% faster than Fury (if Vega 10 actually is a 4096 shader part). That's just about 1070 level, right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Green Gloves posted:

What monitor are you using? I wish there was someone in here with an XR341ck that can tell me how the 480 performs with it. Probably more or less the same as a 390.

What do you mean how a specific card performs with it? If you know how it does at the resolution you know how it does. Computerbase.de has benchmarks at 3440x1440 iirc. I know one of the german sites does.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

xthetenth posted:

What do you mean how a specific card performs with it? If you know how it does at the resolution you know how it does. Computerbase.de has benchmarks at 3440x1440 iirc. I know one of the german sites does.

I've seen some reviews with the 480 reference card on an ultrawide. I have not seen a benchmark with a Sapphire Nitro RX 480 at 3440 x 1440 so I wouldn't know how it does.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

I have an LG 29UM67-P. 29" 21:9 2560x1080.

As far as performance goes, I can't tell you as the card doesn't arrive until later in the week (right now FedEx is saying Saturday). If you're looking for a specific res, the 390 is roughly on par with the 480, so that should provide a reasonable metric.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Truga posted:

This is the funniest thing. RX480 seems to have all the price and availability issues, and 1070, being readily available these days, is a better deal for mining altogether.

Yet, these clowns are still buying 480s

Either AMD is enjoying Apple status in buttcoins, or the supply of 480s is far worse than even GP104 cards. Otherwise there is no way to explain why a buttcoiner would want a 480 when a 1070 wins in buttcoin/$ or buttcoin/W. Another month on the Steam HW stats and we will know for sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure this will come as a non-shocker to just about anyone but most buttcoiners are really dumb.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Checking in to see what's the most recommended 1080 since it's the last piece I need to buy in my latest build.

Mostly interested in what has the best/worst stock fans on it. Want to avoid something comically loud.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
According to a German article someone posted in this thread a while ago, the Palit Gamerock and Gainward Phoenix (same parent company, similar design) win that competition.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Love Crime posted:

Checking in to see what's the most recommended 1080 since it's the last piece I need to buy in my latest build.

Mostly interested in what has the best/worst stock fans on it. Want to avoid something comically loud.

If price and size is no issue I've heard the best so far for noise and fans is the Zotac AMP, in the USA anyway.

ediit: AMP! Extreme, I believe. Whatever the hugest one is called

Otherwise to answer more generally, there are no comically loud cards for any pascal options afaik. I would just avoid reference coolers to avoid throttling and the fact they are, relative to all the others, noisier.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 3, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

FrankieGoes posted:

FYI, 1080p 37" has been horrible as poo poo ever since the Westinghouse craze of 2006/7. 40" 1080p is even worse and has basically never been acceptable.

It basically rolls down to having a really high quality picture on this model TV and also I Don't Want To Own PC Speakers Ever Again. And at the time, there weren't all these monitors that have built in speakers. In fact, I had just spent $300 on a 2007WFP because I'm a fool.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What do you have against good sound? :confused:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There appears to be a good slew of options depending on your budget/case size.

Palit/Gainward Power Rock/Phoenix, Zotac AMP, MSI Gaming and EVGA's new ACX cooler have all gotten good reviews for their cooling/quiet operation. I'll have to do more digging to see how their over-clocking is showing across reviewers, but they all seem to have good coolers at least. I can't speak for their pcb's/power design because I know bugger all about that.

If the past is anything to go by, MSI's Lightning models will probably be monstrously good.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 3, 2016

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Man that new Titan sure is filthy. Crazy 1440p performance and dare I say some games are even playable at 4K. Will be interested to see how far people can push these under water.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

B-Mac posted:

Man that new Titan sure is filthy. Crazy 1440p performance and dare I say some games are even playable at 4K. Will be interested to see how far people can push these under water.

I think it is hilarious how PCers don't consider anything under 60fps (Or 144fps?) playable. Meanwhile I was watching an Xbone vs Xbone S comparison and that thing has 30 fps limits in a lot of games..and sometimes doesn't even hit those, dropping to 22 fps in TR and Hitman sometimes. Maybe there's some magic console tech I don't know about to compensate, but god playing on one of those just sounds dreadful

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Ninkobei posted:

I think it is hilarious how PCers don't consider anything under 60fps (Or 144fps?) playable. Meanwhile I was watching an Xbone vs Xbone S comparison and that thing has 30 fps limits in a lot of games..and sometimes doesn't even hit those, dropping to 22 fps in TR and Hitman sometimes. Maybe there's some magic console tech I don't know about to compensate, but god playing on one of those just sounds dreadful

Plenty of PC gamers will happily play at ~45fps, but I think you'll find that the people who post in the GPU Megathread tend to lean more towards the "enthusiast" end of the spectrum.

A lot of people feel that higher frame rate trumps higher resolution, but console games tend to be tweaked towards the latter because it's easy marketing. Every phone and television manufacturer is constantly telling you to get the one with more p's. The Hz fall by the wayside because the customer education is harder.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Tbh I'm happily chugging along with a 60 hz panel, but I get it and I wont fault anybody for desiring it above all else. Resolution is considerably more important to me overall though, so to stick with 1440p and adding in all the fun stuff is still too expensive for my taste. Looking forward to *sync quite a bit regardless.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Tbh I'm happily chugging along with a 60 hz panel, but I get it and I wont fault anybody for desiring it above all else. Resolution is considerably more important to me overall though, so to stick with 1440p and adding in all the fun stuff is still too expensive for my taste. Looking forward to *sync quite a bit regardless.

*sync is so sweet dude. I honestly thought I wouldn't need it but it makes games enjoyable even if it dips below 60 fps. Enjoying the new Tomb Raider game with all the bells and whistles and drops to the 40s aren't all that noticeable really. Game is freaking gorgeous.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Idiot status: confirmed

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Male Man posted:

Plenty of PC gamers will happily play at ~45fps, but I think you'll find that the people who post in the GPU Megathread tend to lean more towards the "enthusiast" end of the spectrum.

A lot of people feel that higher frame rate trumps higher resolution, but console games tend to be tweaked towards the latter because it's easy marketing. Every phone and television manufacturer is constantly telling you to get the one with more p's. The Hz fall by the wayside because the customer education is harder.

>1080p phones baffle me. You can barely tell the difference on a 24" screen, how the hell can you tell the difference on a 5" screen? Plus it makes the phone use even more battery. But bigger # = better so :shrug:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just love the buttery smooth motion of 60+fps and value that more than resolution or many other bells and whistles.

I'm curious about getting a new monitor with 144hz to kill tearing but would still be happy not maxing it out just so long as I kept it above 60.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MaxxBot posted:

drat. The only thing in my setup I'd spend that much on is a chair.

Who am I kidding I've spent way more on monitors, enjoy the dopamine pumping action.

axeil posted:

>1080p phones baffle me. You can barely tell the difference on a 24" screen, how the hell can you tell the difference on a 5" screen? Plus it makes the phone use even more battery. But bigger # = better so :shrug:

It's closer. 1080 is still probably enough on a phone. It's too little on a tablet though.

And I can definitely see the difference on a 12 inch screen at arm's length.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

MaxxBot posted:

heh nice

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

MaxxBot posted:

If I had the disposable money I'd be right there with you.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I just got a check from my Morgage company for $1600 and it's taking a lot of effort to not do something stupid.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

drat. The only thing in my setup I'd spend that much on is a chair.

Who am I kidding I've spent way more on monitors, enjoy the dopamine pumping action.

It's closer. 1080 is still probably enough on a phone. It's too little on a tablet though.

And I can definitely see the difference on a 12 inch screen at arm's length.

I agree. I've had 1440p phones for my last two. I thought it was a major gimmick but you can definitely tell the difference. Totally and absolutely unnecessary but even on a phone its quite nice.

The problem is driving it, my first phone noticeably lagged because of it. They got it right now. I'm amazed it exists at all tbh

Now a 4k phone ... Im not sure id be able to tell the difference then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The main reason for a 4k phone would be VR.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MaxxBot posted:

I didn't even know it had been released yet. How's it benchmarking?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't even know it had been released yet. How's it benchmarking?

Seems like it's the first single card that really gives playable 4k framerates at high settings, about 30% faster than the 1080 at that resolution.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
dare we hope for a third generation of a x80ti that is 96.555% of the performance of the Titan?

I doubt it honestly lol. The performance spread is much more logical in pascal, but I can hope. The sadder part is given the current pricing its going to be expensive

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've got two OG Titans and am thinking about upgrading but I'm thinking I'll sit this Titan out, either get two 1080s or whatever comes down the pike next.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FrankieGoes posted:

I've got two OG Titans and am thinking about upgrading but I'm thinking I'll sit this Titan out, either get two 1080s or whatever comes down the pike next.

Not to try to actually encourage anybody to buy a $1200 video card they aren't dying to own, but this titan should wipe the floor with SLI'd OG titans.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

KillHour posted:

What do you have against good sound? :confused:

I cleaned up my computer room the other month and threw away not one but two different 4.1 PC speaker setups from the past decade. I don't even have surround sound on my primary TV and I grew up with that.

It largely comes down to me admiring the Apple "everything is integrated" approach, and part of that is stereo sound.

If I want good sound, I'll get good headphones.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

dare we hope for a third generation of a x80ti that is 96.555% of the performance of the Titan?

I doubt it honestly lol. The performance spread is much more logical in pascal, but I can hope. The sadder part is given the current pricing its going to be expensive

It doesn't matter if the 1080ti obsoletes the Titan X, because they can just release a Titan X Black with all 3840 cores unlocked to keep milking the ultra high end :homebrew:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

It doesn't matter if the 1080ti obsoletes the Titan X, because they can just release a Titan X Black with all 3840 cores unlocked to keep milking the ultra high end :homebrew:

This, all this

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Not to try to actually encourage anybody to buy a $1200 video card they aren't dying to own, but this titan should wipe the floor with SLI'd OG titans.

No doubt, they're 3.5 years old at this point. But I kinda always felt like I'd wasted money on the Titans and should have just got two 780s. And I think I'd feel the same way about the Titan X vs 1080s right now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

They could pull a 780ti and give us all the cores on the ti

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Ninkobei posted:

The console versions are also being played with twin-stick controllers which have huge deadzones and are inherently floaty and imprecise. It's hard to notice a frame or two of lag, especially when you have the game interpolating character movement on top of that. When you are dealing with mouse movement which people expect to be precise and immediate it's much easier to notice low frame rates and laggy input because it just won't feel right.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Dunno if this was posted but Smart Dude David Kanter did some neato testing that shows nVidia is doing some tile based rendering fun:
http://www.realworldtech.com/tile-based-rasterization-nvidia-gpus/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I cleaned up my computer room the other month and threw away not one but two different 4.1 PC speaker setups from the past decade. I don't even have surround sound on my primary TV and I grew up with that.

It largely comes down to me admiring the Apple "everything is integrated" approach, and part of that is stereo sound.

If I want good sound, I'll get good headphones.

I hope neither of those 4.1 setups were of the Klipsch ProMedia variety. My 4.1's from 2000 are still going strong after a few woofer swaps and a replaced resister or two. Those things are gold to OG PC Sound fans though. They still sound fantastic to this day vs many other systems.