Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Skeesix posted:

A friend of mine just adopted a 3-year-old Great Pyrenees - his kids really liked it. He seems really sweet and outgoing but he's also already jumped the fence.

I remember various tales of being overprotective from the Maremma Sheep Dog thread. How much of that do we have to be wary of?

Just depends on the pyr. Jumping the fence isn't weird. I wouldn't let a pyr in a yard unleashed unless i was using it for LGD work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Skeesix posted:

A friend of mine just adopted a 3-year-old Great Pyrenees - his kids really liked it. He seems really sweet and outgoing but he's also already jumped the fence.

I remember various tales of being overprotective from the Maremma Sheep Dog thread. How much of that do we have to be wary of?

Wandering and escaping are like the #1 problem people have with pyrs. Unless you have really good fencing escapes are almost certainly going to happen. Like fluffy said it really depends on the dog. Some are giant durfy idiots who love anything and everyone, some can get really weird if they aren't working. They tend to be less intense and less aggressive than maremmas though

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ausrotten posted:

Wandering and escaping are like the #1 problem people have with pyrs. Unless you have really good fencing escapes are almost certainly going to happen. Like fluffy said it really depends on the dog. Some are giant durfy idiots who love anything and everyone, some can get really weird if they aren't working. They tend to be less intense and less aggressive than maremmas though

Love everything and everyone is definitely the case with this one. I just don't want to wander into a situation where he thinks the kids are his flock and gets the wrong idea if I come over to play with them.

Also, did the bit above mean keep him on a leash 100% of the time?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
We had a six foot fence out back with two gates like an airlock for our 2 pyrs. They never got over, but if they got out the front door (no fence out front) a chase ensued.

Both were rescued, one as an adult, and neither had trouble trying to protect my daughter from me. If someone approached the property, we'd hear about it, but once someone was allowed inside, he or she had two large new best friends.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Skeesix posted:

Love everything and everyone is definitely the case with this one. I just don't want to wander into a situation where he thinks the kids are his flock and gets the wrong idea if I come over to play with them.

Also, did the bit above mean keep him on a leash 100% of the time?

yeah, probably shouldn't let that dog offleash. They're really independent, difficult to teach a reliable recall, and don't care too much about their owners opinions on things. A good compromise is a long line - it gives the dog a decent amount of freedom without the risk that he'll decide today's the day he fucks off to the woods for *dog reasons* .

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen's going into surgery for a massive urthreal block and double digit bladder stones. The vet thinks that he'll probably make it and wake up. His blood work was perfect. He's such a good dog but he's an 11 year old dane.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Balen's going into surgery for a massive urthreal block and double digit bladder stones. The vet thinks that he'll probably make it and wake up. His blood work was perfect. He's such a good dog but he's an 11 year old dane.

Good luck, Balen!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Aw man, sending good vibes your way. Stay strong, dapper old man dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:) he's home with a good sized incision near his boy parts. Peeing wildly into the sun now too. He seems a good bit more comfortable than he has lately.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Whew, good boy, Balen.

stik
Apr 19, 2008

We are going to go pick our new pup up in two weeks. She's a Dogo Argentino.
six weeks old. 🐶

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
Crossposting from TFR/Swiss firearms obsession - my big ol' Swiss doggy.

This is Bernie the Berner. He is large.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I love berners so much :kimchi: Flop those floof ears for me.

I contacted some breeders before I ended up with my saint bernard/acd mix but I had trouble finding one I liked.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Did someone say Berners? Here are my two testing the capacity of a Fiat's back seat.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
pelor's gone. we think it was either a seizure or heart failure. he was fine all day, acting totally normal but then when we went out to feed him dinner he was dead.

i miss him so much

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Ausrotten posted:

pelor's gone. we think it was either a seizure or heart failure. he was fine all day, acting totally normal but then when we went out to feed him dinner he was dead.

i miss him so much

I'm so sorry.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Aww, I'm so sorry.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I'm sorry for your loss. He seemed like such a sweet dog.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Ausrotten posted:

i miss him so much

I'm so sorry for your loss. If it's any comfort, for either of those things there would have been no pain or suffering.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ausrotten posted:

i miss him so much

Oh no :ohdear:. How are the goats coping with him being gone?

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.
I looked through the first and last few pages and didn't see, so I thought I'd ask: Does anyone in the thread have experience with mastiffs, and particularly boerboels (South African) and cane corsi (Italian)? I'm very seriously looking into cane corso breeders, and it looks like boerboels are especially uncommon (and were only recognized by the AKC last year). Curious to know if there's anything I should look for in meeting a puppy, any challenges I should expect, and, more specifically, any success (or horror) stories with these breeds. I've had experience with bigger dogs (e.g., a roughly 80lb boxer/pitt mix), and I'll have ample time to train and bond with a pup.

Really, I'd just like to see some pictures of handsome-as-gently caress mastiffs looking all majestic, tia.

e: and/or more pictures of those handsome English mastiffs from circa pg. 3

allsizesfitone fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 23, 2016

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no :ohdear:. How are the goats coping with him being gone?

pretty well actually (me on the other hand...). they were there with him when he died so they know he's gone and he's not coming back :smith:

i'm going to look at another pyr litter this weekend. i don't really want a new dog, i just want my loving dog back but logically i know that we need a lgd around and having a big stupid puppy tumbling around will probably make me feel a little better

still though, what the gently caress man

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

allsizesfitone posted:

I looked through the first and last few pages and didn't see, so I thought I'd ask: Does anyone in the thread have experience with mastiffs, and particularly boerboels (South African) and cane corsi (Italian)? I'm very seriously looking into cane corso breeders, and it looks like boerboels are especially uncommon (and were only recognized by the AKC last year). Curious to know if there's anything I should look for in meeting a puppy, any challenges I should expect, and, more specifically, any success (or horror) stories with these breeds. I've had experience with bigger dogs (e.g., a roughly 80lb boxer/pitt mix), and I'll have ample time to train and bond with a pup.

Really, I'd just like to see some pictures of handsome-as-gently caress mastiffs looking all majestic, tia.

e: and/or more pictures of those handsome English mastiffs from circa pg. 3

I'd like to know what draws you to those breeds, first.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'd like to know what draws you to those breeds, first.

I'm looking for anecdotal experiences so I can get more of an idea of what it's like to live with one from someone who's owned one. I hear amazing things about their temperament and intelligence, and I prefer a dog with some heft to it, for what it's worth, but that won't change anyone else's personal experiences with the breeds.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I think this thread would enjoy one of my favorite tumblrs :3:

http://threeberners.tumblr.com/

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
:kimchi:

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
two other good ones (lgd focused obviously) are
http://roar-like-a-kangal.tumblr.com/

http://dogbreedsofturkishworld.tumblr.com/

just a heads up time to time there are pics of dogs killing wolves and similar things so if you're sensitive tread lightly but there are a shitload of cool pics of lgds working in their native countries. i wish they'd chill on posting about bullshit rear end Boz shepherds but the west seems obsessed with them at the moment

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

two other good ones (lgd focused obviously) are
http://roar-like-a-kangal.tumblr.com/

http://dogbreedsofturkishworld.tumblr.com/

just a heads up time to time there are pics of dogs killing wolves and similar things so if you're sensitive tread lightly but there are a shitload of cool pics of lgds working in their native countries. i wish they'd chill on posting about bullshit rear end Boz shepherds but the west seems obsessed with them at the moment

What's the problem with Boz shepherds? I know nothing of dogs from that region of the world but they just look like big brown dogs. Nothing visual to get worked up about, meaning someone hasn't produced a wolfhound sized pug or something. I'm going to guess it has to do with the constant use of "primitive instincts" and other phrases that seem like codes for something.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I'm assuming you ran across the natural born guardians/monster malak site? Just fyi both that website and turkishboz.com are completely full of poo poo. The issue with Boz sheps is that they're a scam and the importers and breeders completely misrepresent the dogs history, purpose, and abilities. They're advertised as an ancient landrace previously unknown outside of Turkey that excels at either LGD work or protection work (depending on what the focus of the forum the breeder and importer are posting on :lol:). What they actually are is a designer dog fighting breed that was created very recently. They're riddled with very serious health and temperament issues (read: they're incredibly unstable and dangerous), the importers and breeders have scammed people out of thousands of dollars, and a large number of the dogs have very seriously injured both livestock and humans. They are advertised as the "ultimate home protector/livestock guardian" but they're really just psychotic shitshows that are terrible at both jobs. Spend a half hour poking around vids of them and you'll almost immediately come across some really loving gnarly vids of Bozs in dog fights (probably don't do this) featuring their breeder/creator (probably don't do this, its pretty unpleasant)

They're literally nothing more than the doodles of the Turkish dog fighting world and they have no business being anywhere near livestock

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
In other news I picked up my new lgd last night. Meet crom

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Ausrotten posted:

I'm assuming you ran across the natural born guardians/monster malak site? Just fyi both that website and turkishboz.com are completely full of poo poo. The issue with Boz sheps is that they're a scam and the importers and breeders completely misrepresent the dogs history, purpose, and abilities. They're advertised as an ancient landrace previously unknown outside of Turkey that excels at either LGD work or protection work (depending on what the focus of the forum the breeder and importer are posting on :lol:). What they actually are is a designer dog fighting breed that was created very recently. They're riddled with very serious health and temperament issues (read: they're incredibly unstable and dangerous), the importers and breeders have scammed people out of thousands of dollars, and a large number of the dogs have very seriously injured both livestock and humans. They are advertised as the "ultimate home protector/livestock guardian" but they're really just psychotic shitshows that are terrible at both jobs. Spend a half hour poking around vids of them and you'll almost immediately come across some really loving gnarly vids of Bozs in dog fights (probably don't do this) featuring their breeder/creator (probably don't do this, its pretty unpleasant)

They're literally nothing more than the doodles of the Turkish dog fighting world and they have no business being anywhere near livestock

Thanks for the information. A quick look on Google gives basically none of this. It's all raves and too good to be true "background". I will say that on looks alone I'd have fun with the dog in the above picture but I'd never buy any animal on looks alone, especially not one that could easily kill me if/when it wanted to.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ausrotten posted:

Hi Crom! :buddy:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ausrotten posted:

"What is best in life?"

"To herd goats, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the nannies".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"What is best in life?"

"To herd goats, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the nannies".

If he's herding them he's not doing his job.

I like this cornbaby a lot.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Ausrotten posted:

The big paws!! :3:

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
crom was a afraid of the goats at first but last night he screamed angrily because my husband had the audacity to take him out of the goat kennel :3:

Jeremy_X posted:

It's all raves and too good to be true "background". I will say that on looks alone I'd have fun with the dog in the above picture but I'd never buy any animal on looks alone, especially not one that could easily kill me if/when it wanted to.

E x a c t l y. if it sounds too good to be true it def is especially when it comes to dogs. i got vaguely interested in Boz sheps because i heard such amazing things about them and how they were . i ended up doing a lot of digging and spent way too much time watching hosed up turkish/eastern european dog fighting matches and as a result i ended up learning A LOT about Boz sheps and none of it is good. The dude who ~introduced~ the Boz to the west is definitely a dog fighter (I've seen numerous videos of him fighting his Bozs and there is zero info on them prior to him advertising them as lgds). the dude who handles their imports has zero knowledge of protection and LGD work and huge numbers of ranchers have had very serious problems with these dogs but naturally you wont see fuckall about this on the 3 websites dedicated to selling them. Turkish dogs are kind of a conundrum because it's extremely difficult to export dogs directly from Turkey so a handful of exporters end up being the only direct source of info on the dogs besides purchasers and that obviously really restricts the amount of info that's passed on. But I've run across the US importer a few times on protection forums and it's clear that he's both completely clueless and full of poo poo.

(ftr i dont have any issue with breeds created for dog fighting or even necessarily dog fighters but!! dogs bred for dog fights are not and will never be goddamn LGDs nor will dog fighting mixes ever been good protection dogs.)

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
sorry for the double post but goddamn crom is cute and cool

he has a heart on his butt :3:

vecna is getting a lot more chill around puppies. kas still thinks they're creepy and weird though

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Finally got caught up on this thread, time to post my English Mastiff, Leia.

She's pretty small for a Mastiff, but still purebred. Probably only gonna get to 140 pounds. This is her and her wrassslin buddy, Peanut.

From when she was teething a few months ago.

About a month ago. Only 10 months old now.

The Halogens fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 12, 2016

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Halogens posted:

From when she was teething a few months ago.

So nice of you to have so many chewtoys under that table for her to gnaw on during the teething phase :v:

Gawd that is a goofy face :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

So nice of you to have so many chewtoys under that table for her to gnaw on during the teething phase :v:

Gawd that is a goofy face :3:

We have no idea how we taught her this, but any shoe on the shoe tray is "not hers" and she will become visibly disappointed if we put a shoe in there that was misplaced.

The flipside is that she has a sixth sense for shoes that are "hers" as soon as they get knocked out of that tray.