Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AdoredTV released his video on the RX 470, and the Wattman stuff is very interesting. It looks like he can still hit 1200MHz at a down volt of ~0.9V, which is really interesting. I have no idea what to make of that with what AMD are doing in general.

https://youtu.be/k3r4GGJqfck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
For a one-two punch of AMD news:

AMD is, allegedly, shipping another 100,000 Polaris 10 GPUs to board partners. News straight from the horse's mouth, where "horse's mouth" is "staffer at Overclockers UK claiming to relay what AMD said".

http://techreport.com/news/30482/report-amd-shipping-100k-more-polaris-10-gpus-to-board-partners

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

AdoredTV released his video on the RX 470, and the Wattman stuff is very interesting. It looks like he can still hit 1200MHz at a down volt of ~0.9V, which is really interesting. I have no idea what to make of that with what AMD are doing in general.

https://youtu.be/k3r4GGJqfck

It means that 10-20% of AMD GPUs are stable at 900mv, run cold and sip at power, but to get the shipping volume they need, they set it to 1.10v or even 1.15v so they get 90-100% working.

This is basically Glofo's fault is what I am saying, because this is a process/stepping issue.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So is 60fps no longer the standard and card needs to hit 144 to be acceptable now? Seems like with every step up in power the goalposts move along with them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lockback posted:

So is 60fps no longer the standard and card needs to hit 144 to be acceptable now? Seems like with every step up in power the goalposts move along with them.

60 fps is totally fine but hitting consistently above that is amazingly smooth. Especially in fps games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lockback posted:

It's not very surprising that people who have a lot of money to spend on GPUs want the best. Most people who play PC games don't have a 144 Hz monitor.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

I got it up to +190/+512 so far, I didn't push the memory any further since increasing it more didn't seem to do anything for performance. Given that it has a full 50% more memory bandwidth than the 1080 that kind of makes sense.

Under full load it stabilizes at 1949MHz compared to 2088MHz on my 1070, this is without being able to adjust the voltage yet so I might be able to push it a bit higher once that's an option. This results in about 50-60% more performance than the 1070 in games that I have tested so far, closer to 100% in some compute stuff.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lockback posted:

If you can't run 144 Hz on three 4k screens I don't even want to know you.

(nahh, enthusiasts are by definition interested in the latest and greatest, so they're going to be keenly interested in the state of the art.)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Apparently 16.8.1 puts the RX480 within 6% of the 1060 now? It's basically rumor as there is no site I know of (except a single youtube video) that's tested this theory.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MaxxBot posted:

I got it up to +190/+512 so far, I didn't push the memory any further since increasing it more didn't seem to do anything for performance. Given that it has a full 50% more memory bandwidth than the 1080 that kind of makes sense.

Under full load it stabilizes at 1949MHz compared to 2088MHz on my 1070, this is without being able to adjust the voltage yet so I might be able to push it a bit higher once that's an option. This results in about 50-60% more performance than the 1070 in games that I have tested so far, closer to 100% in some compute stuff.

What monitor are you running? Please tell me its like a 21:9 or 4k

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

MaxxBot posted:

drat I didn't think they'd ship that fast.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

drat I didn't think they'd ship that fast.

If you offered Domino's a $200 tip they would get you a pizza in 10 minutes. I'd imagine this is similar.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FaustianQ posted:

Apparently 16.8.1 puts the RX480 within 6% of the 1060 now? It's basically rumor as there is no site I know of (except a single youtube video) that's tested this theory.

It's a load of crap. Those drivers are based on the 16.7.3 drivers, and the guy's video was comparing it to the launch RX 480 driver.

There's no magic improvement.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Do we have any new info regarding what 470 to buy? Because last I saw the Asus Strix is a bit of a dud that's hurting the card's first impressions due to how ubiquitous it is for review copies.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm not sure I care, and I'm not sure the average consumer should care, either. As far as I'm concerned, the tiers are too tightly packed that they should be holding out for a 480 or a 1060 anyways.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Yea, the 470 for ~$150-180$ makes sense, not when it's going for 480 MSRP.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
They partied too hard at AMD they typed in the price wrong.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!
So I just picked up an RX 470, and am now thinking about purchasing a Freesync monitor. Do any of you have any recommendations for a 24" version?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bleh Maestro posted:

They partied too hard at AMD they typed in the price wrong.

AMD and Nvidia get loads of flak for the pricing, but isn't it more the fault of the 3Rd party partners and retailers?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lungboy posted:

AMD and Nvidia get loads of flak for the pricing, but isn't it more the fault of the 3Rd party partners and retailers?

It depends, retailers sometimes gouge when supply is short but most of the gouging is from scalpers. Nvidia and AMD also have a responsibility to set MSRPs that their partners can be expected to hit while still making a comfortable profit, I think we are seeing a lack of that reflected in the prices well over MSRP on both sides.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Smarf posted:

So I just picked up an RX 470, and am now thinking about purchasing a Freesync monitor. Do any of you have any recommendations for a 24" version?

I thought I heard ultrawide freesync there. I mean this is a 23 inch monitor just wider therefor better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025112&cm_re=lg_ultrawide-_-24-025-112-_-Product

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
edit: I am a moron.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 8, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm not sure I care, and I'm not sure the average consumer should care, either. As far as I'm concerned, the tiers are too tightly packed that they should be holding out for a 480 or a 1060 anyways.

FaustianQ posted:

Yea, the 470 for ~$150-180$ makes sense, not when it's going for 480 MSRP.

You guys are assuming that 4GB 480s aren't going to be like the Lochness Monster. The original launch batch was just re-badged 8GB cards that allowed you to Download More RAM meaning that they haven't proven they've actually manufactured any real 4GB cards, and it seems possible that they never do and just tell people to buy the 470 instead.

All that speculation and you have to wait for non-reference boards, too; while the 470 has non-reference boards right now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine preordered 4GB nitro 480 from ocuk and got it just fine a week ago or so. Much cheaper than any EU 1060 stock too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Truga posted:

A friend of mine preordered 4GB nitro 480 from ocuk and got it just fine a week ago or so.

Did he try peeling the sticker off? :v:

I admit that this is a bit too close to the GPU version of jet fuel and steel beams, but it wouldn't really shock me if it AMD's entire plan for the 4GB 480 was to own the valued performance-to-dollar news story leading up to the 480 launch, but not actually have to deliver such good value that they hobble their mainstream/entry-level card. All they have to do to look competitive is release a small batch of loss-leading "4GB" cards while telling their partners it's just a one-time thing.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but the fact that everything (in North America, anyway) is 8GB after the initial supplies wore out kind of suggests that it was a doorbusters idea meant to drum up interest.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Craptacular! posted:

Did he try peeling the sticker off? :v:

I admit that this is a bit too close to the GPU version of jet fuel and steel beams, but it wouldn't really shock me if it AMD's entire plan for the 4GB 480 was to own the valued performance-to-dollar news story leading up to the 480 launch, but not actually have to deliver such good value that they hobble their mainstream/entry-level card. All they have to do to look competitive is release a small batch of loss-leading "4GB" cards while telling their partners it's just a one-time thing.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but the fact that everything (in North America, anyway) is 8GB after the initial supplies wore out kind of suggests that it was a doorbusters idea meant to drum up interest.

The 4GB thing was almost certainly so that websites can put that 200 dollar priced RX 480 in their price/performance charts and watch it dominate. At 240-250 that the 8GB reference cards were at, it was a good price/performance card, but it wasn't rebellion worthy or anything. At the 260-280 bucks aftermarkets want for the 8GB card, well...

Looks like there will be some actual 4GB aftermarket cards like the Sapphire, but almost certainly with only 4GB of RAM and priced above 200 bucks, I think the Sapphire was 230. At 200 I wouldn't be surprised if it was selling at loss.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Craptacular! posted:

You guys are assuming that 4GB 480s aren't going to be like the Lochness Monster. The original launch batch was just re-badged 8GB cards that allowed you to Download More RAM meaning that they haven't proven they've actually manufactured any real 4GB cards, and it seems possible that they never do and just tell people to buy the 470 instead.

All that speculation and you have to wait for non-reference boards, too; while the 470 has non-reference boards right now.

See earlier posted article from TechReport, though I'm not sure how much legitimacy I give them these days now that like... all the people are gone from it and it's just been Jeff Kampman retraining an entire crew up from scratch. (I'm sure they're entirely capable, but I bet they still haven't developed any real industry contacts yet.)

http://techreport.com/news/30482/report-amd-shipping-100k-more-polaris-10-gpus-to-board-partners

It's an employee, at a major UK retailer, relaying information that AMD will be shoving 100,000 Polaris GPUs out the door to board partners, followed by shipments in the next two weeks. The forum posts were put up on the 28th, and if they haven't been pulled down after over a week, I'm inclined to believe that as far as they know, this is legit-ish.

Now, I've got no stake in this whatsoever, because I'm not buying components for a computer until November/December-y, but if that's true, that should spell the end of AMD's supply issues.... for a while.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 8, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

wargames posted:

I thought I heard ultrawide freesync there. I mean this is a 23 inch monitor just wider therefor better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025112&cm_re=lg_ultrawide-_-24-025-112-_-Product

This is my monitor. It is excellent. If the guy you're talking to is looking for a cheap ultrawide IPS with Freesync it's a very good choice.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

That's a pretty sizable difference. The other 470's are quite a bit closer to the reference 480 in performance.
If the 470 could really be had for the $179 MSRP and the 480 for $229, it'd be a pretty small performance delta for 50 bucks. The $200 470's really put a dent into that analysis though.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I guess it's not really in the scope of this thread but the RX460 is out: a graphics card for when you don't really need a graphics card? Performance-wise it dukes it out with the Geforce 950 and the RX 270X.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_rx_460_strix_gaming_4gb_review,1.html

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

I guess it's not really in the scope of this thread but the RX460 is out: a graphics card for when you don't really need a graphics card? Performance-wise it dukes it out with the Geforce 950 and the RX 270X.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_rx_460_strix_gaming_4gb_review,1.html

It exists soley as an option to upgrade OEM PC's so kids can play LoL and DOTA 2.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
That's a bit unfair I think. I'm pretty sure a 950 (or 460) will play any game you throw at it at 1080p, if at <60fps/low settings in most cases, whereas integrated graphics will come nowhere near that. Unless somehow this piddly little thing still has supply/price/bitcoiner issues it should be the new best buy for budget gaming, coupled with something like an i3-6100 build.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

1070 coming today. :3:

Do I need to uninstall any previous drivers? I've had a 750ti sitting in this new machine for 3 months now (I couldn't do onboard for 3 months in this new machine and my 560ti was too loud) from EVGA. Aside from uninstalling all the EVGA poo poo will the nVidia things be fine?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Grim Up North posted:

There will always be people who are looking for a card that punches above its weight and is powered solely off the PCIe bus.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

That's a bit unfair I think. I'm pretty sure a 950 (or 460) will play any game you throw at it at 1080p, if at <60fps/low settings in most cases, whereas integrated graphics will come nowhere near that. Unless somehow this piddly little thing still has supply/price/bitcoiner issues it should be the new best buy for budget gaming, coupled with something like an i3-6100 build.

AMD literally markets the card as an "E-Sports" card, the expectation is you're playing the likes of DOTA 2, LoL and on the high end Overwatch on it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Beautiful Ninja posted:

AMD literally markets the card as an "E-Sports" card, the expectation is you're playing the likes of DOTA 2, LoL and on the high end Overwatch on it.

Sure, but they market the 480 as an "affordable VR card" and 99% of people buying it are not buying it for VR. Admittedly, they're buying it for bitcoins, but you get the idea.

I'm just saying it should be the cheapest/least resistance path to being able to play any videogame on your computer box and that's pretty far from "a graphics card for when you don't really need a graphics card"

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I'm looking to buy a 1070. Does it make a difference whether I get a founder's edition or one from a different manufacturer?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Vintersorg posted:

1070 coming today. :3:

Do I need to uninstall any previous drivers? I've had a 750ti sitting in this new machine for 3 months now (I couldn't do onboard for 3 months in this new machine and my 560ti was too loud) from EVGA. Aside from uninstalling all the EVGA poo poo will the nVidia things be fine?

The best recommendation is to use Guru3d Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the driver and do the shutdown option, then swap cards and reinstall the drivers. It'll probably work fine if you just swap it out, but this will clean out the drivers just to be safe.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Peewi posted:

I'm looking to buy a 1070. Does it make a difference whether I get a founder's edition or one from a different manufacturer?

Founder's Edition costs more and has a noisy cooler. I would find a way to wait and buy a non-FE card.

Or buy a GTX 980 Ti at a firesale price (that is what I did), particularly if you don't see yourself buying a VR headset in the next 18-24 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Grim Up North posted:

It doesn't have a point until there's a low profile single slot option.

Unfortunately that's the WX4100 and that's $400 MSRP :negative: