Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Got two second-round interviews tomorrow morning, with my first and third choice for new job! :dance: pretty excited for this, first choice job has all the cool gadgets and techniques and I really really want in.

Which makes it all the more sad that my second-round interview with my second choice job went so bad last week. It's almost like my recruiter pitched me there as a senior dev well-versed in the Symfony2 framework, when I am neither. I consider myself a medior dev and told both my recruiter and that employer. My only experience with that framework was tearing it out of an old project and rewriting it from scratch, which I told my recruiter.

It's almost as if he knew he was overselling me and did it anyway.

So of course their take-home assignment bombed since I basically spent an entire sunday figuring out how to use that framework and didn't have time/energy left to prettify it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Merijn posted:

Got two second-round interviews tomorrow morning, with my first and third choice for new job! :dance: pretty excited for this, first choice job has all the cool gadgets and techniques and I really really want in.

Which makes it all the more sad that my second-round interview with my second choice job went so bad last week. It's almost like my recruiter pitched me there as a senior dev well-versed in the Symfony2 framework, when I am neither. I consider myself a medior dev and told both my recruiter and that employer. My only experience with that framework was tearing it out of an old project and rewriting it from scratch, which I told my recruiter.

It's almost as if he knew he was overselling me and did it anyway.

So of course their take-home assignment bombed since I basically spent an entire sunday figuring out how to use that framework and didn't have time/energy left to prettify it. :(

Recruiters and employers play this game where employers request senior devs but only offer a high enough salary for a junior dev, so the recruiter sends junior devs to interview with the employer to try and convince them to pony up more cash. This is part of why you always hear companies saying, "We're hiring, but we can't seem to find anyone." It really just means they can't find anyone willing to work for bad pay.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Zero The Hero posted:

Recruiters and employers play this game where employers request senior devs but only offer a high enough salary for a junior dev, so the recruiter sends junior devs to interview with the employer to try and convince them to pony up more cash. This is part of why you always hear companies saying, "We're hiring, but we can't seem to find anyone." It really just means they can't find anyone willing to work for bad pay.

This explains so many weird happenings in my current job search.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Walking while carrying those groceries probably sucks.

You can get your own little pushcart so you don't have to actually carry them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

That or they'll only settle for a unicorn. A competent developer who knows most but not all of the frameworks or technologies can get up to speed pretty quickly. However that time is greater than zero and some places only will consider somebody who can perform miracles on day one.

Even if they do manage to find that perfect fit, well, good luck convincing him to work for less than six figures.

It's like yeah hey we get that you want strong devs but you best be ready to pay for them. You might net a good dev who needs a job right now but good luck keeping him of he's underpaid.

The answer to "how do we get top talent cheaply?" Is "you don't."

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

fritz posted:

You can get your own little pushcart so you don't have to actually carry them.

Just borrow one from the homeless you step over every day.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Necc0 posted:

There's also some sort of fuckery with H1B visas or something - I've read about it, but I don't know the deal. It sounds like companies post jobs offering salaries well under what the position is worth so that they can justify hiring immigrants. Or something. I've applied to some of these just for fun - never gotten a response back. It kinda sucks being rejected for a low-paying position you're clearly qualified for, it feels like they think you're not even worth bargain prices.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

an skeleton posted:

So for a multitude of good reasons I've had to wait until the final day (the deadline) accept my offer letter (tomorrow). I was going to call the HR person I've been corresponding with tomorrow and negotiate salary and accept the offer, but I don't know if its a bad idea to do so now because its so late in the acceptance timespan. It's my first job out of college and I've stopped pursuing other opportunities, so I don't want to screw this one up; is it a bad idea to ask for $5000 (ish) more in salary or should I go ahead and go for it? A few other things I was going to do were get clarity on the dispensing of my relocation bonus, and ask to get their WFH/vacation policies in writing in my offer, which they currently are not.

Don't let the "deadline" worry you. If they want you its definitely flexible. If you haven't negotiated at all, yeah ask for the $5k, esp if you have any other offers on the table/interviews lined up. Heck, ask for 10. Also though, the vacation policy isn't written down, did they actually make an real offer? Things like that should be written in the offer contract.

Zero The Hero posted:

This is part of why you always hear companies saying, "We're hiring, but we can't seem to find anyone." It really just means they can't find anyone willing to work for bad pay.

Sometimes you're hiring for really specific roles and it actually IS that difficult to find good candidates. :saddowns:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zero The Hero posted:

There's also some sort of fuckery with H1B visas or something - I've read about it, but I don't know the deal. It sounds like companies post jobs offering salaries well under what the position is worth so that they can justify hiring immigrants. Or something. I've applied to some of these just for fun - never gotten a response back. It kinda sucks being rejected for a low-paying position you're clearly qualified for, it feels like they think you're not even worth bargain prices.

With H1B the company has to prove that there is a need that can't be filled by the local talent.

If they have a stack of interviewed candidates that were "bad fits," it probably meets that criteria. Essentially, they need people to "fail" their interviews, but the job postings must match what they're looking for. I could see posting well, below average salary bands (or equivalent) would skew the candidates towards the under qualified and not qualified.

This is, of course, all guesses on my part, but it doesn't seem that far fetched if this is, indeed, the case.

Also, do people still mail in resumes? Like, I saw a Senior Dev job posting on a company's website that ended by saying "Interested parties should mail their resumes to [ACTUAL loving POSTAL ADDRESS]." It just baffled me, because even the one COBOL position I've seen required an online application.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Zero The Hero posted:

Nah, it's definitely not just that. Perhaps it is for some companies, but it is often hard to get qualified candidates into the interviewing/hiring pipeline, well before pay is even discussed. So unless people aren't interested at all because either they are all preemptively checking glassdoor and making a judgement based on that, or it's because we're not enticing with massive numbers up front.

It may be that instead, hiring standards are too high, but reading some of the horror stories others have in their workplace, I'm not convinced of that, either.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BirdOfPlay posted:

With H1B the company has to prove that there is a need that can't be filled by the local talent.

Also, do people still mail in resumes? Like, I saw a Senior Dev job posting on a company's website that ended by saying "Interested parties should mail their resumes to [ACTUAL loving POSTAL ADDRESS]." It just baffled me, because even the one COBOL position I've seen required an online application.
I thought the "prove" requirement was dropped because in practice it amounted to looking at the resume for the person already doing the job, writing up their precise background as qualifications, posting it in an awkward place, and having onerous application requirements just in case someone got cheeky and wanted to apply. It's a joke.

pr0zac posted:

Don't let the "deadline" worry you. If they want you its definitely flexible. If you haven't negotiated at all, yeah ask for the $5k, esp if you have any other offers on the table/interviews lined up. Heck, ask for 10. Also though, the vacation policy isn't written down, did they actually make an real offer? Things like that should be written in the offer contract.
emptyquote

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Steve French posted:

Got it. Absolutely. My initial comment was to highlight the fact that rent prices will vary significantly by location, along with some other costs (e.g. transit, food), but others are pretty much the same everywhere (in the US anyway), like video games or anything else you can/would order online.

Yeah it's like, for me, my rent is about to double going from north county SD to the Bay Area, and my salary is not quite going to double (but my total comp is when you include bonus and stock vesting), but my food budget is going to decrease overall because Google has free meals. So it's still a net gain in discretionary spending.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BirdOfPlay posted:

Some places, for some mysterious reason, still want paper resumes sent in an envelope.

I honestly don't have a single clue why. Maybe it's some old guy doing the hiring that hates using a computer?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Zero The Hero posted:

I'm stuck in a terrible job search in Los Angeles where the opposite of this occurs.

Recruiters posting 120-150k jobs for low experience requirements. I wonder how that goes down for the person who actually gets the interview.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Necc0 posted:

This is my current works problem. But they have said they get people that turn in the assessment empty, call in because a pet is sick, or act totally disinterested. We live close to a big hotspot for jobs, so maybe that is what is stealing all the good candidates. I already work at this company so I am hoping it lands me a good opportunity in to this career path.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Do personal game dev projects which required a lot of coding look good when trying for a normal programming job?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

And almost as if on queue I got contacted by a google recruiter for a Mobile position. Let's see where the goes.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Sex Tragedy posted:

Do personal game dev projects which required a lot of coding look good when trying for a normal programming job?

Yes.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

KidDynamite posted:

And almost as if on queue I got contacted by a google recruiter for a Mobile position. Let's see where the goes.

Good luck

Thanks, makes me feel much more confident.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Merijn posted:

Update: 1st choice didn't offer me a job. :( I wasn't a 'warm enough' personality or something.

3rd choice made up for it by making a really loving awesome offer so I'm taking that.

Job hunting sucks.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Is it better to leave a question blank on an assessment if you're clueless, or give it a horrible try?

Thinking of turning in my resume and some code examples over to the Software department head today, so we'll see how that goes.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jabro posted:

Just borrow one from the homeless you step over every day.

Have you seriously not seen one of these https://smile.amazon.com/Whitmor-Deluxe-Rolling-Utility-Shopping/dp/B001DZ4QTC/

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The stereotype is that only the homeless and old ladies use them because that's what overwhelmingly happens in car-dependant cities.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is it normal at a dev job to often have nothing to do?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sex Tragedy posted:

Thanks, makes me feel much more confident.

I would qualify that yes with "it depends". Yes, they shouldn't be horrible spaghetti but as long it shows some semblance of order it should be enough. It is a showcase of what you can do though, so I'd be wary of hiring someone who's only project in github is a mess with one commit that says "First commit".

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It happens sometimes but it's kinda bad if it happens too often. It can mean that your job is either dispensable or the place where you are working is having problem getting enough projects (which means money flow problems sooner or later). Where I work we deal with it by having internal projects. There are always things to do to make our lives easier or to sell later.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 11, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Maybe once or twice a year I'll have a week where there's straight up nothing to do but you should largely have something to work on- even if it's backtracking and cleaning up / improving / documenting things you've already done. If you're severely underutilized make sure your boss knows. If it's a regular issue you may want to start looking for other work.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
On the other hand at my last job I knew a consultant who managed to fall into some sort of blind spot and got away with doing nothing but play WoW for three years before anyone caught on and fired him. It's up to you

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If its happening regularly its either an indicator something is broken in your company's engineering workflow or you aren't being very ambitious and looking for ways to get involved. If no one (including yourself) cares though enjoy catching up on forums threads.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I work at a government organization and I frequently have long periods of nothing to do because people need a month and three reminders to respond to a goddamn email. I spend a lot of time just learning new things on my own or building things that I think will be helpful in the future. Sometimes I go back and rewrite things. I've had to nag my boss to give me work because I was bored out of my mind.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

Maybe once or twice a year I'll have a week where there's straight up nothing to do but you should largely have something to work on- even if it's backtracking and cleaning up / improving / documenting things you've already done. If you're severely underutilized make sure your boss knows. If it's a regular issue you may want to start looking for other work.

Some places that bill clients per-head per-person have no short-term incentive to drop useless personnel and will retain anyone who doesn't rock the boat about it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

gmq posted:

It happens sometimes but it's kinda bad if it happens too often. It can mean that your job is either dispensable or the place where you are working is having problem getting enough projects (which means money flow problems sooner or later). Where I work we deal with it by having internal projects. There are always things to do to make our lives easier or to sell later.

I don't work for a software company so there's literally zero income coming in from the programming I do. I work on an internal tool that makes it easier for other people to do their job. The guy I effectively report to told me he'd have a big backlog of Stuff to Do for me and tried but...uh...well, I burned through it very quickly. I get the feeling they expected some mediocre programmer to do mostly boring, easy things (much of the program is just interacting with a database, tracking stuff, and communication, really...nothing exciting but totally necessary) and instead managed to snag somebody good.

Necc0 posted:

Of course I'm underutilized! I'm also underpaid! :v:

I'd love to go work on the code base but it's a horrifying abomination made years and years ago by underpaid contractors. I can't even look at it without having to undo everything and roll back to the master branch. The code base is just so unfathomably bad.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yes. Refer to my homeless statement you quoted.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
My career thus far has been mechanical engineering undergrad, with two internships, then Peace Corps as a civil engineer and now I've been job searching for almost 8 months. Seems that Peace Corps kind of screwed me over and left me in the dust in terms of mech eng. Anyways, I started learning web design for fun about a year and a half ago and a few weeks ago decided to really put an effort into looking for web design jobs. Had like 5 head hunters after me in a week and 4 interviews. Just got an offer and I'm really ready to peace out from this lovely job search. The offer is for $22/hour temp to hire after 3 months. The company is very reputable and one of my very good friends has worked there for 5 years. I'm drafting up an email now to negotiate and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I'm thinking either way, it'd be good experience and they'll either hire me after 3 months or I'll have lots more skills and can return to the temp job I have now. (they'll have me back at any time).

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Are the other three interviews potentially going to result in offers? Anyway, congrats.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

huhu posted:

My career thus far has been mechanical engineering undergrad, with two internships, then Peace Corps as a civil engineer and now I've been job searching for almost 8 months. Seems that Peace Corps kind of screwed me over and left me in the dust in terms of mech eng. Anyways, I started learning web design for fun about a year and a half ago and a few weeks ago decided to really put an effort into looking for web design jobs. Had like 5 head hunters after me in a week and 4 interviews. Just got an offer and I'm really ready to peace out from this lovely job search. The offer is for $22/hour temp to hire after 3 months. The company is very reputable and one of my very good friends has worked there for 5 years. I'm drafting up an email now to negotiate and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I'm thinking either way, it'd be good experience and they'll either hire me after 3 months or I'll have lots more skills and can return to the temp job I have now. (they'll have me back at any time).

If you don't have any other interviews lined up that you think will pan into better offers then take it and perform to your best. Leverage your friend there too and make him sell you to his manager so you can for sure get an offer at the end of the 3 months.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Steve French posted:

Nah, it's definitely not just that. Perhaps it is for some companies, but it is often hard to get qualified candidates into the interviewing/hiring pipeline, well before pay is even discussed.

What kind of company advertises for a job without even the slightest indication of how much they're willing to pay, though? (And if they are doing the 'competitive pay' thing and not saying, that's not going to help getting qualified candidates, just saying)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not really. It's happening at my job at the moment and I get the feeling it's because either the management's focus is on other projects, or the new scrum master we hired isn't up to speed yet. We haven't had a proper sprint in 2 months.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
You have a dedicated scrum master but no sprint in 2 months? What does he do?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

pr0zac posted:

If its happening regularly its either an indicator something is broken in your company's engineering workflow or you aren't being very ambitious and looking for ways to get involved. If no one (including yourself) cares though enjoy catching up on forums threads.

This is what I'm doing. Strangely enough, if I were to start working on a personal project and improved my skills on company time, that would be a big problem. But actually wasting the time? That's tolerable, within limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Zero The Hero posted:

Strangely enough, if I were to start working on a personal project and improved my skills on company time, that would be a big problem. But actually wasting the time? That's tolerable, within limits.

The difference is that other companies can't profit from you wasting time :ssh: