Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WayneCampbell posted:

So I popped a dude's arm the other night. I've never injured anyone prior to this and applied the submission like I always do. Secure and control the limb and very slowly apply pressure until they tap. I'll abandon submissions If I feel like I'm losing control or I feel like it's going too deep and other person for whatever reason doesn't want to tap. Dude was a higher belt, has maybe 2 years of training on me and was in the process of fighting out of it. He confirmed I didn't ignore a tap.

I thought I broke it because I felt/heard a very loud pop and give in the arm and immediately stopped. Apparently it wasn't broken as he could flex/extend without issue and did a few push ups to check how it felt with pressure. He finished out the night but when I checked back in on him at the end of the night he said it was starting to feel funny but he still wasn't experiencing pain. He was cool about the whole thing and didn't seem upset.

Any thoughts on this? Is there anything I should have done different or is this on him for not tapping?

I say it's on him. If it was a white belt or a newbie or something then I'd say that there's shared fault, but if he's experienced, he should know that it's his job to communicate that to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I was the most senior person in the beginner class tonight. That's mostly because the regular killers were all cutting weight or otherwise prepping for the fight but still it was a pretty cool feeling. It made me realize I still don't even have a white belt yet-- Does anyone else go to a gym where they don't do belts for BJJ?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Caught a heel attack of some sort on one of the senior dudes in my beginner class last night. As a tall guy I feel like I am constantly in a position to attack heels, but nobody has actually taught me any attacks so I am kinda hesitant to do it because I don't want to injure. Academy has no rules against it though so maybe I should just learn some on my own time to practice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

soy posted:

Caught a heel attack of some sort on one of the senior dudes in my beginner class last night. As a tall guy I feel like I am constantly in a position to attack heels, but nobody has actually taught me any attacks so I am kinda hesitant to do it because I don't want to injure. Academy has no rules against it though so maybe I should just learn some on my own time to practice.

Really the actual submission holds themselves aren't that difficult to understand. The best place to start would be to see if anyone else in your academy wants to work on them, and then figure out a few drills to do together. The leg game is made of many 50-50 positions and transitions, so it's quite convenient to use leg drills for warmups.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

soy posted:

You really should have close supervision from your instructor if you want to do heel attacks. contrarily to other techniques, you're going to be out for a long time if you get hurt by one and it's not something I would recommend training if you're training with another guy that doesn't know what he's doing either.

I'd start with Reilly bodycomb's No Kurtka vol.1 and 2 DVD if you want or buy the seminar he has on grapplers guide, it's a bit more recent but may be unavailable, it's on sale for the last time online but both are high quality if you're interested in leg attacks. I can't speak for other DVD's on the subject but Reilly makes good instructionals.

There's also leglock academy but I haven't found anything about the course that made me buy it yet. Has anyone here checked it out?

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 12, 2016

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Odddzy posted:

You really should have close supervision from your instructor if you want to do heel attacks. contrarily to other techniques, you're going to be out for a long time if you get hurt by one and it's not something I would recommend training if you're training with another guy that doesn't know what he's doing either.

I'd start with Reilly bodycomb's No Kurtka vol.1 and 2 DVD if you want or buy the seminar he has on grapplers guide, it's a bit more recent but may be unavailable, it's on sale for the last time online but both are high quality if you're interested in leg attacks. I can't speak for other DVD's on the subject but Reilly makes good instructionals.

There's also leglock academy but I haven't found anything about the course that made me buy it yet. Has anyone here checked it out?

Any good resources on DEFENDING leg attacks? I was listening to a Tom DeBlass interview recently where he said he could give 95% of the bjj population an outside heel hook and they wouldn't be able to finish on him, I want to learn that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sharzak posted:

I was the most senior person in the beginner class tonight. That's mostly because the regular killers were all cutting weight or otherwise prepping for the fight but still it was a pretty cool feeling. It made me realize I still don't even have a white belt yet-- Does anyone else go to a gym where they don't do belts for BJJ?

They use colored shirts at my gym instead of belts to delineate rank. It's not just grappling, though, but overall MMA skill that's taken into account.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

WayneCampbell posted:

Any good resources on DEFENDING leg attacks? I was listening to a Tom DeBlass interview recently where he said he could give 95% of the bjj population an outside heel hook and they wouldn't be able to finish on him, I want to learn that.

To defend the legs you've got to be able to understand how they can be attacked and that comes with practising both defense and attack. Whomever want to chime in here is welcome to as I don't believe myself to be an authority on this. As far as i'm concerned, If I know a guy needs to pin my free leg between his legs to pin me on the gorund and finish a heelhook, you can be sure i'm not going to give him that free leg.

As I said, get Reilly's instructional or follow the recommendations of others here, some stuff might be more current and i'm sure others have found useful resources online on the subject. There's also a cheap instructional available online on vimeo for 15$ made by Stephen Koepfer on the fundamentals of leglocks. He's Reilly Bodycomb's old Sambo coach and it's a cheap option if you don't want to spend too much money on the subject. a bunch of guys here do leglocks and do them at a much higher level of understanding than I do them so listen to them too if they chime in.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

WayneCampbell posted:

Some people have rubber feet that you can contort into pretty sick directions and they won't feel anything and be fine unless you rip the crap out of it. I dunno wether to envy these guys or pity them.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
While rolling today, my partner tried to take my back and accidentally gave me the standard "armbar across my shoulder" counter. I wasn't quite able to finish it (safely) before he escaped, but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the tap (with significant risk of injury) if I had just cranked as hard as possible the instant I saw the opening, which got me thinking.

Of course, I'm gonna err heavily on the side of not injuring my partner while training, and I'd go for it without hesitation in a self-defense situation, but where would competition fall on that spectrum? Is it OK or possibly even expected for competitors to apply submissions so fast that their opponent may not have time to tap before injury?

Put another way, what's the worst injury you'd seriously risk giving your opponent in order to win?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't think I'd ever attempt to finish a neck crank, jaw lock, toe hold, or leg lock. Would finish chokes and arm attacks if he just wouldn't tap at all after giving him gradual pressure.

My coach says, in competition, worry about protecting yourself, don't try to go out and end the other guys life or try to break him, but don't lose sleep if the dude won't tap if you give him an opportunity and you end up breaking something

Thinking about it I have seen a few times at the blue belt and nogi equivalent where it looked a dude just straight up ripped the dudes arm off. I won't say I didn't hope some karma went back at him if he did it on purpose or couldn't control himself.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 13, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Nestharken posted:

While rolling today, my partner tried to take my back and accidentally gave me the standard "armbar across my shoulder" counter. I wasn't quite able to finish it (safely) before he escaped, but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the tap (with significant risk of injury) if I had just cranked as hard as possible the instant I saw the opening, which got me thinking.

Of course, I'm gonna err heavily on the side of not injuring my partner while training, and I'd go for it without hesitation in a self-defense situation, but where would competition fall on that spectrum? Is it OK or possibly even expected for competitors to apply submissions so fast that their opponent may not have time to tap before injury?

Put another way, what's the worst injury you'd seriously risk giving your opponent in order to win?

As you get more experienced, you'll learn to stop at full extension even on "fast" subs to give your opponent a moment to tap.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 13, 2016

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Keenan vs Gordon is live

The match is still going and also owns. They're getting pretty tuckered out though.

Nearly an hour in, Keenan defending leg locks by folding his own legs in lotus style and helpfully informing Ryan that he won't be able to move them

Match over. Almost an hour and a half? That was freakin great

Decades fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 13, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Decades posted:

Keenan vs Gordon is live

The match is still going and also owns. They're getting pretty tuckered out though.

Nearly an hour in, Keenan defending leg locks by folding his own legs in lotus style and helpfully informing Ryan that he won't be able to move them

Match over. Almost an hour and a half? That was freakin great

i hadn't even heard of gordon ryan until ebi 6 and now he's tapping keenan.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
It's crazy. And from the sounds of it little brother Nicky Ryan is the next prodigy on deck.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Competed in my first completion today after 7 months of training (gi). Tapped due to arm bar in the 2nd minute. Best experience so far in jiu jitsu.

Was awesome fun and can't wait to go again at the next one.

Edit: I have so much too work on. Like takedown since I've done all of 5 minutes drilling them.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 14, 2016

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Great job, well done!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Digital Jedi posted:

Competed in my first completion today after 7 months of training (gi). Tapped due to arm bar in the 2nd minute. Best experience so far in jiu jitsu.

Was awesome fun and can't wait to go again at the next one.

Edit: I have so much too work on. Like takedown since I've done all of 5 minutes drilling them.

How often a week do you train? I've been at it for about five months three times a week now and wouldn't think of competing in two months, maybe at a year mark. That's not meant as a knock I was just wondering if that was pretty early to compete or not.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I first competed three months in. I'd say the average from what I've seen is that people who are going to compete usually start around six months in.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Hmm ok that's a lot earlier than I thought. I sort of put it out of my mind because we have a lot of very good whites (ex-judo, wrestler, sambo) at my gym and it puts into perspective the level of whitebelt that could be at a competition.

e- I also do basically half gi half no-gi as well so that adds to my wariness in entering a gi competition this early

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 15, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Regardless of how many months you wait as a white belt you'll most likely just get your rear end kicked anyway

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

origami posted:

Regardless of how many months you wait as a white belt you'll most likely just get your rear end kicked anyway

probably true. you're up against some guys that have been doing it for like 2 years, or maybe they invented sambo but started bjj last week and you won't know until you get humiliated in front of your coach and family member of choice

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Seltzer posted:

How often a week do you train? I've been at it for about five months three times a week now and wouldn't think of competing in two months, maybe at a year mark. That's not meant as a knock I was just wondering if that was pretty early to compete or not.

I train 3 times a week (7-9 hours total a week). I was ready enough to give it a shot. I really just wanted to get the experience of competing. I've never done anything like this and now for my next one I'll be slightly more prepared now I know some of my major faults (I have zero takedowns or standup skill

Marching Powder posted:

probably true. you're up against some guys that have been doing it for like 2 years, or maybe they invented sambo but started bjj last week and you won't know until you get humiliated in front of your coach and family member of choice

That is one of the reasons my coach warned me about but was still cool with it. In April a classmate (white belt) matched against a guy that turned out to be a black belt w/ 13+ years experience in judo. Guy was throwing my teammate around so many times. It was fairly clear he was outmatched. Things like it happen at white.

Another classmate was a division 1 wrestler in college but our professor wouldn't let him complete till blue belt because of it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

Another classmate was a division 1 wrestler in college but our professor wouldn't let him complete till blue belt because of it.

That's cool and fair and I wish more people did this

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I competed after about a year and in my first match ever I got crushed by a fit guy who had been training for three weeks

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I competed after about a year and in my first match ever I got crushed by a fit guy who had been training for three weeks

This is me rolling at the gym every single week.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I did my first competition after 2 months of training. It's a fun experience, just get out there and learn something.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I'm up to training 6x a week now and while jiu jitsu is good and fun the competition training classes seem really intense and not fun. Godspeed to anyone who adds that extra stress to their life

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Do you feel like they add a lot to your skill?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Do you feel like they add a lot to your skill?

Yes

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm up to training 6x a week now and while jiu jitsu is good and fun the competition training classes seem really intense and not fun. Godspeed to anyone who adds that extra stress to their life

Jay's 2 months of training Jiu jitsu is not like most--he probably got more done in two months than I have in 8.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Had my first comp a year in, won my first match, lost the final, then got promoted to blue and lost the subsequent 5 matches lol. Oh well. I'll try again in 13 days. That record though... Oy

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I thought this was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOiPfkwt7vQ

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 15, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did a BJJ comp about 6 weeks into training regularly. I went 1-2 in gi and 0-1 in no gi.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I did a sambo tournament after training about 6 months and broke my ankle :toot:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I did a no-gi tournament about five months in and went 0-1 against a guy who looked like Terry Crews.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I did a Judo tournament about a month after starting and went 5-1 to win the beginner division but I'd wrestled for a long time so wasn't starting from scratch. That was also the only tournament I've ever been to that did true double elimination. After I won the winners bracket I had to fight the guy who emerged from the losers bracket (same guy I'd beaten in the last match after he won the true second match) and he subbed me, but since I hadn't taken any losses yet and he had we went again a few minutes later and I tossed him.

It makes me appreciate why everyone else does modified double elimination. That was a bunch of extra and confusing matches at the end of the day.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I was at an inhouse competition, posted my hand on the mat trying to get up when a dude tried to go for a straight ankle lock and I broke my hand.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Do most people here have one person or more they mostly refuse to roll with for reasons other than fear of getting injured? At this point there's a guy I've decided isn't worth it to roll with because I've figured we probably won't ever get along. Do these weird beefs sometimes eventually get settled for others here? I'm sure they do but it's been going on for the better part of a year and i'm curious to hear the stories of others.

Edit : Sorry for the doublepost, I don't post too often usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Odddzy posted:

Do most people here have one person or more they mostly refuse to roll with for reasons other than fear of getting injured? At this point there's a guy I've decided isn't worth it to roll with because I've figured we probably won't ever get along. Do these weird beefs sometimes eventually get settled for others here? I'm sure they do but it's been going on for the better part of a year and i'm curious to hear the stories of others.

Edit : Sorry for the doublepost, I don't post too often usually.

This is from the perspective of a guy who has only been rolling for 3 months, but I can think of two guys who I do not want to roll with again because they are dicks. Not friendly to talk to and if I had to guess are taking a lot of their life frustrations out in the gym. They stand out so much because everybody else in the gym is cool as hell.

There was some fatherdog post in here semi-recently I think where he said that there are assholes in any hobby and jiu jitsu, despite rooting itself in respecting others, is no different (or something like that). So in my opinion there's no reason to worry about the one guy who you don't get along with when you know there are like 20 other great people in class.