Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bubba Smith posted:

This is from the perspective of a guy who has only been rolling for 3 months, but I can think of two guys who I do not want to roll with again because they are dicks. Not friendly to talk to and if I had to guess are taking a lot of their life frustrations out in the gym. They stand out so much because everybody else in the gym is cool as hell.

There was some fatherdog post in here semi-recently I think where he said that there are assholes in any hobby and jiu jitsu, despite rooting itself in respecting others, is no different (or something like that). So in my opinion there's no reason to worry about the one guy who you don't get along with when you know there are like 20 other great people in class.

Oh sure, I'm not losing any sleep on it, but I think it's interesting to get others perspective on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

Do most people here have one person or more they mostly refuse to roll with for reasons other than fear of getting injured? At this point there's a guy I've decided isn't worth it to roll with because I've figured we probably won't ever get along. Do these weird beefs sometimes eventually get settled for others here? I'm sure they do but it's been going on for the better part of a year and i'm curious to hear the stories of others.

Edit : Sorry for the doublepost, I don't post too often usually.
I have one or two people that I don't roll with because we've had one or more bad rolls where things escalated, and we were both pissed and going 100% at each other. I'm not worried about getting hurt but it's just not worth rolling with someone if the two of you will end up rolling with bad intent.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thoguh posted:

It makes me appreciate why everyone else does modified double elimination. That was a bunch of extra and confusing matches at the end of the day.
Out of curiousity, how's the modified double elimination done? I find vanilla double pretty fair and simple to understand since you're not out until you've got two losses and the last one standing wins.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

After last night there's a white belt I won't roll with. We were doing positional sparring, where one person goes into turtle and then you roll from there. I've been doing Judo for a long time at a pretty newaza heavy school, and we work turtle stuff a lot. The dude got frustrated after a half-assed attempt at opening me up and just picked my head up, banged it into the floor and walked off the mat.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

lemonslol posted:

After last night there's a white belt I won't roll with. We were doing positional sparring, where one person goes into turtle and then you roll from there. I've been doing Judo for a long time at a pretty newaza heavy school, and we work turtle stuff a lot. The dude got frustrated after a half-assed attempt at opening me up and just picked my head up, banged it into the floor and walked off the mat.

lol, gently caress that dude.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm real glad I don't train on top of an ancient Indian burial ground that like, traps the souls and temperaments of children inside the bodies of adults and I feel for all of you.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dan Didio posted:

I'm real glad I don't train on top of an ancient Indian burial ground that like, traps the souls and temperaments of children inside the bodies of adults and I feel for all of you.

I train with a bunch of guys who are a lot younger and fitter than me but are all pretty chill and respectful :shrug:

That dude who slammed someone's head against the mat would have been kicked the gently caress out of every martial arts class I've ever done and probably had a come-to-jesus with the head coach.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Memento posted:

I train with a bunch of guys who are a lot younger and fitter than me but are all pretty chill and respectful :shrug:

That dude who slammed someone's head against the mat would have been kicked the gently caress out of every martial arts class I've ever done and probably had a come-to-jesus with the head coach.

Yeah, we have people of all ages, backgrounds, size, etc. at our gym and we've never had any problems in the time that I've been there. We have the odd moment where two guys will spar and go too hard and heavy and get lost in it a bit, but that happens, and it's always cool afterwards and we always break it up if it gets out of hand.

I can't imagine what the response would be if someone was drilling technique, or just rolling on the mats and decided to try and injure someone out of frustration. Blows my mind.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

Do most people here have one person or more they mostly refuse to roll with for reasons other than fear of getting injured?

I had one that I'd generally avoid because he was such a horrible combination of spaz and crybaby that he'd end spending half the roll whining about some moronically self inflicted wound. He's gone now though, as you might imagine.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 16, 2016

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
there's been a few guys with whom i got locked into a 'moment' and we went hard out trying our best but never anything actually vicious and we always returned to 'learning' stages in the subsequent encounters. i'm with DD, actual in-gym violence is not a concept i'm familiar with. i get the feeling my coach would make them not welcome.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Siivola posted:

Out of curiousity, how's the modified double elimination done? I find vanilla double pretty fair and simple to understand since you're not out until you've got two losses and the last one standing wins.

The overwhelmingly most common version of modified double elimination is to have a winners bracket that goes all the way to the finals, and whoever wins that brackets 1st, whoever loses in the final match gets 2nd. And anyone who loses is dropped in to a losers bracket (at progressively later rounds, so the winners of each round of the losers bracket alternate between facing other people who are going through that bracket and people who have dropped down from the winners bracket after a loss) and the winner of that bracket gets 3rd. Going from the winners bracket to the losers bracket is purely a one way street. The benefit of this type of bracket is that you have a set finals match and then you're done.

At a lot of postseason high school wrestling events that are tiered (as in you have to place in the top 2 at districts, then the top 2 at sectionals to qualify for the state tournament) you'll see a "true 2nd" variation where there can be 1 extra match after the finals for 2nd place if the guy who lost in the finals and the guy who won the losers bracket haven't faced each other. The goal there is to make sure you're still finding the 2nd best wrestler even if they happened to run in to the champion before the finals.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are a couple blue belts at my gym who will be like "Let's go light..." before diving into arm bars at like full spaz speed.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only guys I avoid are the spaz white belts. I still roll with them if there is nobody else.

Actually drilling with them is worse because they are too spaz to go through subs slowly and so every time I have to tap as fast as possible or they will rip my arm off or whatever.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Thoguh posted:

The overwhelmingly most common version of modified double elimination is to have a winners bracket that goes all the way to the finals, and whoever wins that brackets 1st, whoever loses in the final match gets 2nd. And anyone who loses is dropped in to a losers bracket (at progressively later rounds, so the winners of each round of the losers bracket alternate between facing other people who are going through that bracket and people who have dropped down from the winners bracket after a loss) and the winner of that bracket gets 3rd. Going from the winners bracket to the losers bracket is purely a one way street. The benefit of this type of bracket is that you have a set finals match and then you're done.

At a lot of postseason high school wrestling events that are tiered (as in you have to place in the top 2 at districts, then the top 2 at sectionals to qualify for the state tournament) you'll see a "true 2nd" variation where there can be 1 extra match after the finals for 2nd place if the guy who lost in the finals and the guy who won the losers bracket haven't faced each other. The goal there is to make sure you're still finding the 2nd best wrestler even if they happened to run in to the champion before the finals.
Interesting! This is a bit pedantic but isn't the first one just a single-elimination bracket with a big repechage bracket on top? The second has a neat twist on it, I like that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone ever use a grappling dummy? I'm trying to get a deal on a used one from a guy who seems to have quit bjj. Will it be as useful as I imagine for practicing things like spinning for armbars and drilling leg positions?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CommonShore posted:

Anyone ever use a grappling dummy? I'm trying to get a deal on a used one from a guy who seems to have quit bjj. Will it be as useful as I imagine for practicing things like spinning for armbars and drilling leg positions?

No but they're fun to practice german suplexes on

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

they are useful as light free weights that you can toss around and probably not much else tbh

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I'll pull them out at the gym for drilling knee switches, etc like he's doing here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo7Ec9XOWWg

but definitely not something I'd drop cash on to have around the house.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I think they're really only useful for things human partners will not tolerate a ton of reps for. Knee on belly transitions and suplexes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KildarX posted:

I think they're really only useful for things human partners will not tolerate a ton of reps for. Knee on belly transitions and suplexes.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If I can get this thing for cheap I'll try it out and report back, but based on the feedback here I'm not going to drop the cash to get a new one.

Oh also speaking of "on the cheap" my Tesla brand rashguard/spats showed up yesterday. They were way too small - I ordered M, which is what I get for every other brand, and I'd describe these as "XS". They also look a bit too thin to have worn without shorts over the spats, if I had been able to get them on. I'm actually going to contact the seller to ask about it, but unfortunately they shipped from China so I'm not optimistic.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I've been wearing tesla all day every day since I started and they're good, but yeah you needed to order a few sizes up. I wear a 2XL (ordinarily fit in an XL or L) from them and they are still tight, but comfortable enough. They have been surprisingly durable for $10 compression clothing.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

There's one kid at my gym who I don't want to roll with because he has the dead eyes of a serial killer and he goes 100% like he's in a fight for his life every roll. And as much as I want to, I can't bring myself to not be kinda nice to my training partners. He's kinda nice off the mat though, cordial but I wouldn't want to be alone with him

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Mechafunkzilla posted:

No but they're fun to practice german suplexes on

This

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'd rather roll with an rear end in a top hat who was wearing a clean gi than the nicest guy in the world whose gi smells like fermented piss. And there always seems to be 1 or 2 of those guys who think they can just stuff their gi in a bag between classes and only wash it once a week.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thoguh posted:

I'd rather roll with an rear end in a top hat who was wearing a clean gi than the nicest guy in the world whose gi smells like fermented piss. And there always seems to be 1 or 2 of those guys who think they can just stuff their gi in a bag between classes and only wash it once a week.

Oh poo poo there's this middle-aged farmer at judo whose upper lapel is always brown and feels like a dirty dish sponge. And his toenails are a horror show that makes me glad that we don't do leg locks in Judo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thoguh posted:

Death to all those that don't wash their Gi.

Just lock them in a cell with no water available and let the skin eating bacteria finish them off.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
On the topic of first grappling competitions, i first competed when i was 16 or 17 and had only been training for like 4 months. It was the under-18 National Championships and i signed up for the most advanced division because i wrestled a bit in school, and i thought I was freakin badass so I didnt want to sandbag (in retrospect of course I sucked rear end). I got there and the Advanced division only had like 7 people total so all genders, ages, and weight classes very unwisely got absorbed into one absolute division. My first match was against a 15 year old girl who i very uncomfortably outwrestled and she cried after. Then I had to fight a giant fat kid (probably 250~ lbs to my 160), i shot in and took him down and he instantly put me in some kind of neck crank, i panicked and tapped and I got the win because neck cranks aren't allowed in the under-18 rules lol

So because of that I was the National under-18 BJJ Champion, Advanced Absolute division, without doing anything basically. And now when i fight its one of those martial arts distinctions like Swedish Sanshou Champion that they say about you that you cant be sure actually means anything

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Also the beginner division had like 150 kids who mostly were super athletic sandbaggers who cut weight and poo poo and had to fight through a bunch of rounds and wait around all day to get a medal that sounded way lamer than mine. Owned

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

manyak posted:

On the topic of first grappling competitions, i first competed when i was 16 or 17 and had only been training for like 4 months. It was the under-18 National Championships and i signed up for the most advanced division because i wrestled a bit in school, and i thought I was freakin badass so I didnt want to sandbag (in retrospect of course I sucked rear end). I got there and the Advanced division only had like 7 people total so all genders, ages, and weight classes very unwisely got absorbed into one absolute division. My first match was against a 15 year old girl who i very uncomfortably outwrestled and she cried after. Then I had to fight a giant fat kid (probably 250~ lbs to my 160), i shot in and took him down and he instantly put me in some kind of neck crank, i panicked and tapped and I got the win because neck cranks aren't allowed in the under-18 rules lol

So because of that I was the National under-18 BJJ Champion, Advanced Absolute division, without doing anything basically. And now when i fight its one of those martial arts distinctions like Swedish Sanshou Champion that they say about you that you cant be sure actually means anything

manyak posted:

Also the beginner division had like 150 kids who mostly were super athletic sandbaggers who cut weight and poo poo and had to fight through a bunch of rounds and wait around all day to get a medal that sounded way lamer than mine. Owned

Lmao

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

manyak posted:

:awesome:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Thoguh posted:

My instructor has no problem publicly shaming frequent stinky people. It's nice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

manyak posted:

This is one of those stories that is great for totally different reasons depending on whether you just give the short version where you just say you're the Advanced Absolute Champ or the long version where you say how it happened. .

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

There are a couple blue belts at my gym who will be like "Let's go light..." before diving into arm bars at like full spaz speed.

We had a guy like this, very nice off the mats, but every roll is 100% and it's like he didn't understand anything else. He destroyed his own leg in a competition while trying to escape halfguard or something. Two years pass, I've forgotten he exists, he appears at my new school, and in the time that's passed I've gained enough skill that now I can use his own nerdrage against him to send him flying all over the place (while maintaining the most pretend-calm face I can manage). It's deeply satisfying

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

manyak posted:

manyak posted:

Owns

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Odddzy posted:

Do most people here have one person or more they mostly refuse to roll with for reasons other than fear of getting injured? At this point there's a guy I've decided isn't worth it to roll with because I've figured we probably won't ever get along. Do these weird beefs sometimes eventually get settled for others here? I'm sure they do but it's been going on for the better part of a year and i'm curious to hear the stories of others.

Edit : Sorry for the doublepost, I don't post too often usually.

The smelly guy.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Keg posted:

The smelly guy.

Don't sign your posts on this forum

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sharzak posted:

Nice Ippon

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Sharzak posted:

You son of a bitch

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Speaking of poor hygiene, I've finally found out the guy that brings in ringworm to the gym.

We were doing no-gi and he wanted to do some leglocks with me and then we started talking about positions and stuff that we like to attack the legs. At some point he opens his legs a bit to go to butterfly and I saw the worst ringworm I've ever seen. It was literally a patch on both legs that came from the crotch. For reference, My whole hand couldn't cover one patch on either leg even if I tried.

I bought him a bottle of nizoral with an anonymous note I'll drop in his bag next time I see him so he gets rid of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Uh tell the owner/coach right now - don't worry about his feelings jfc