Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My off-the-record advice is to get in there and salvage what can be salvaged, then move on with your life. Like today, preferably.

Your lease or state/local law probably has some clause that after some amount of time without access to the property, your lease voids, and you can move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I don't see how they can "seal" the place legally, just get in there and salvage.

E:
They can certainly declare it unsafe for living, but salvage work can be done in unsafe environments, and if it's been scrubbed it isn't even unsafe.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SEKCobra posted:

I don't see how they can "seal" the place legally, just get in there and salvage.

E:
They can certainly declare it unsafe for living, but salvage work can be done in unsafe environments, and if it's been scrubbed it isn't even unsafe.

The porch fell off, the door's been removed, and it's boarded up with plywood.

The entire neighborhood is still limited daytime access enforced by the police to prevent looting.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You live there. You're not looting. Go get your stuff.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Aquatic Giraffe give more updates on spooky home. I want to know if somebody is living in your home/walls.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Toshimo posted:

The porch fell off, the door's been removed, and it's boarded up with plywood.

The entire neighborhood is still limited daytime access enforced by the police to prevent looting.

Well it's your choice, but I wouldn't let my stuff rot in there for a month because of arbitrary "U NO ENTER" rules set by landlord/etc.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Aquatic Giraffe give more updates on spooky home. I want to know if somebody is living in your home/walls.

We've joked about someone living in our attic but I haven't actually looked.

I actually went out and bought a carbon monoxide detector after reading a similar story on Reddit that ended with carbon monoxide poisoning. Detector reads zero. I got nothin'.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
oh man I remember you posting that house

you got poo poo in tupperware tubs? yeah go get it, sheesh.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Seriously man, don't roll over on this, go an talk to the police about getting your stuff, hound your landlord, whatever. If the place is actually close to collapse, don't risk your life over stuff, but if you can get in there and rescue your most valuable/necessary things from molding away, do it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We've joked about someone living in our attic but I haven't actually looked.

I actually went out and bought a carbon monoxide detector after reading a similar story on Reddit that ended with carbon monoxide poisoning. Detector reads zero. I got nothin'.

If it happens again please attempt to litigate against the ghosts a la Dragon Pass and post the results, thanks.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Has anyone ever rented a home owned or managed by Starwood Waypoint, Colony American Homes, Silver Bay, or any other REITs or similar companies? Just wondering what your experience was like and if you feel it was worth what you paid.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Just wanted to pop in and thank the thread for all the help a few months back. Moved and am taking things day by day in the new place, so far things are working out alright. Only ghosts are the roommates, which may or may not exist. :shobon:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Looking for a recommendation for bedding/sheets. Anybody got a brand/source they particularly like?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

TheQuietWilds posted:

Looking for a recommendation for bedding/sheets. Anybody got a brand/source they particularly like?

Modal sheets from bed bath and beyond. Use the 20 percent off coupon. Super soft, breathable sheets. Downside is if you get the normal set they wrinkle easily.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Spikes32 posted:

Modal sheets from bed bath and beyond. Use the 20 percent off coupon. Super soft, breathable sheets. Downside is if you get the normal set they wrinkle easily.

Agreed. I got a second set from Amazon, so I have a jersey set and a regular lightweight "cotton" set. They are amazing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I like whatever the amazon top rated for tencel is. Feels cool all the time which is great if you sleep hot like me.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
So, I live in an old San Franciso Victorian. If youve ever lived here, its the same house everyone has. I walked in to view it and was like "oh yeah, Ive been here before."

Anyhow, the tub is an old claw foot. Its in a room by itself with a sink and jerry rigged overhead faucet setup. The pressure is okay but it's always super hot, hard to adjust the temp, etc. The tube that leads up to the shower head looks really cheap, just goes straight up then curves into a faucet head, Is that piece of hardware difficult to replace? I'd love to pay someone to re-do the whole shower faucet but I can't tell by looking at this whether it's a $100 job or a $1000 job. I'd love a higher shower head (I am too tall to comfortably wash my hair) and better temperature control. Calling the landlord - not possible. Happy to pay for or install myself, depending how difficult.

Any tips or insight?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Calling the landlord - not possible.
Does this mean that you already know that the landlord won't make any improvements for you, or that the landlord is some sort of faceless entity/crazy old person/po box you mail a check to that you can't actually get in touch with?

Before you get anyone to mess with the shower you would absolutely need to talk to the landlord/property manager and get their written permission to have someone remodel the bathroom. Because otherwise what is going to happen is that you will eventually move out and the landlord is going to freak out, or something will go wrong in the 100 year old plumbing and they'll blame it on you because you messed with it.

There is a plumbing thread in DIY and you could post pictures of the bathroom and maybe at least tell you if it's something that can be swapped or if you would need to open up the wall.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Probably needs to have the valve replaced, or the diverter (the thing that sends the water to the showerhead) replaced. Hundred or two for the part and a hundred or two to the plumber.

The wildcard of doing this without consulting the landlord is not the upfront cost, it's that when you go to replace the valve, you might give it a twist with the wrench and have the pipe crumble in your hands. You might crack the cast iron tub, you might get the valve on 99% tight leaving just a drip-drop of a leak that might do $25k worth of damage over the next 5 years.

I would seriously suggest that the chances of finding out that you have cast iron pipes, that they are old, corroded, and brittle, and they would explode the moment you put a wrench on them at 50/50 odds in an old, under-maintained Victorian house.

Embark with caution.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I have kitchen ants. Little ones, lots of them, but I only see them eating my cat's food in the bowl after it's been out a while. (She is not a food oriented cat if you can believe that)

I put her bowl in the living room which seems to work for that but how do I kill the kitchen ants? Do I just get some of those round traps and call it a day? Are they dangerous for pets in any way?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Defenestration posted:

I have kitchen ants. Little ones, lots of them, but I only see them eating my cat's food in the bowl after it's been out a while. (She is not a food oriented cat if you can believe that)

I put her bowl in the living room which seems to work for that but how do I kill the kitchen ants? Do I just get some of those round traps and call it a day? Are they dangerous for pets in any way?

The liquid ant baits are the best - they come in clear little bubble packs you cut open, and it helps to put ant stakes outside. Just don't spill ant ant gel on the floor, it's a bitch to clean.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Killer-Liquid-Baits-pre-filled/dp/B000HJBKMQ

I've used these and they work. Just be prepared for a shitload of ants in the first day or two as they rush to the baits.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Defenestration posted:

Are they dangerous for pets in any way?

The ones that are enclosed make a really fun sound when they slide around on the floor, so expect your cat to rearrange them for you.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Mind_Taker posted:

https://www.amazon.com/TERRO-Killer-Liquid-Baits-pre-filled/dp/B000HJBKMQ

I've used these and they work. Just be prepared for a shitload of ants in the first day or two as they rush to the baits.

These are the good poo poo

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defenestration posted:

When I had ants 2 apartments ago what I did was poison the poo poo out of where they're coming in from outside and sprinkle cinnamon on their trails inside - this fucks up their pheromone trails or something and is safe for critters.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Had some insane weather a month ago, which led to a foundation leak in my basement apartment and multiple weeks of high humidity. Landlord had it sealed... but now the room the leak was in smells like mold, and I cleaned up a bunch of stuff in the room that looked like mold. I get allergy symptoms in the room, too. The landlord says there's no mold but I'm afraid it's in the walls, since that's where the leaking water went through. Landlord had a "mold inspector" in, but he said he didn't see or smell anything and didn't seem very credible (didn't look closely at the problem areas or use any equipment.) Is there anything else I can or should do?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Saeku posted:

Had some insane weather a month ago, which led to a foundation leak in my basement apartment and multiple weeks of high humidity. Landlord had it sealed... but now the room the leak was in smells like mold, and I cleaned up a bunch of stuff in the room that looked like mold. I get allergy symptoms in the room, too. The landlord says there's no mold but I'm afraid it's in the walls, since that's where the leaking water went through. Landlord had a "mold inspector" in, but he said he didn't see or smell anything and didn't seem very credible (didn't look closely at the problem areas or use any equipment.) Is there anything else I can or should do?

Move.

Getting slumlords to do anything about mold is impossible. I had a similar situation in a basement apartment and basically I will never rent from a rando individual landlord again as long as I live. In my case the rear end in a top hat also literally never ran the A/C and kept the heat so low that I had to run space heaters 24/7.

e: to be more constructive, the threat of taking mold issues to the county/etc might let you break your lease.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Tell the landlord you think there's still mold there, see what he does.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Saeku posted:

and I cleaned up a bunch of stuff in the room that looked like mold.

This is where you should have taken pictures to send your landlord as evidence. Regardless, it sounds like your landlord is going to ignore the problem as much as they can since mold in the walls is going to be expensive to resolve, so you might as well start preparing to move.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Not sure if this is the right thread, but can anyone recommend a particular place to shop for desks? After a year I've started to hate my cheap one from Ikea and I'd like to see what's out there. I work from home a lot so it's kind of important to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
On a similar note to the above question, does anyone have any opinions on those high end ergonomic desk chairs like the Steelcase brand? For the last ten years I've been getting cheaper chairs or hand me downs from Staples and Frankensteining them together with cushions and blankets as they break down, and I'm wondering if the fancier brands are worth the investment or if they're just a lot of marketing gloss.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 2, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
You don't necessarily need the most expensive brands, but there's definite improvements in comfort & durability going from the cheapest chairs in the store to any of the better chairs. Worth it if you're going to be sitting in it often.

I have a Steelcase chair that's older than I am and still holding up(minus a reupholstering because the fabric was getting worn). Comfortable as hell, too.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

On a similar note to the above question, does anyone have any opinions on those high end ergonomic desk chairs like the Steelforce brand? For the last ten years I've been getting cheaper chairs or hand me downs from Staples and Frankensteining them together with cushions and blankets as they break down, and I'm wondering if the fancier brands are worth the investment or if they're just a lot of marketing gloss.

There's an office chair thread around the forums somewhere. I live in a city with startups, so it was pretty easy for me to find an $800 Steelcase Criterion for $200 on Craigslist. One of the best investments I've ever made. If you sit in your chair a lot, it's worth dropping some money on it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

So, I live in an old San Franciso Victorian. If youve ever lived here, its the same house everyone has. I walked in to view it and was like "oh yeah, Ive been here before."

Anyhow, the tub is an old claw foot. Its in a room by itself with a sink and jerry rigged overhead faucet setup. The pressure is okay but it's always super hot, hard to adjust the temp, etc. The tube that leads up to the shower head looks really cheap, just goes straight up then curves into a faucet head, Is that piece of hardware difficult to replace? I'd love to pay someone to re-do the whole shower faucet but I can't tell by looking at this whether it's a $100 job or a $1000 job. I'd love a higher shower head (I am too tall to comfortably wash my hair) and better temperature control. Calling the landlord - not possible. Happy to pay for or install myself, depending how difficult.

Any tips or insight?

Houses in SF are generally not that old and use standard size pipes. Can you post a picture of the showerhead?

americong
May 29, 2013

woke up this morning and a water pipe was spewing all over the sidewalk at my complex, no pressure in my unit

apartment office is closed, "after hours" number didn't pick up

should i make an attempt to contact the city or just live without water in fear of human interaction

also, ~1100 before utilities, my monthly take home is ~3800, does this pass goon cave muster

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
How much damage will the water cause, are you in a drought-y area, etc?

If it is actively causing damage and you make no effort, you can be held liable for damages.

If you called the after-hours number and left a message... I don't know the exact situation, but sometimes that's just about all you can do.

americong
May 29, 2013

photomikey posted:

How much damage will the water cause, are you in a drought-y area, etc?

If it is actively causing damage and you make no effort, you can be held liable for damages.

If you called the after-hours number and left a message... I don't know the exact situation, but sometimes that's just about all you can do.

Well, it got fixed without my input, so that's good.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
So I am living in a place that grows mould at an impressive rate. The answer from the landlord has been "Keep making noise about this and I will evict you" to which I rang my states tenancy advocacy group and was told that I would win any case in which they attempted to do that and then lose a month later when they evict me for "No reason given".

Long story short I have been on the hunt for a new unit for a while and I must say the one thing really irking me is just how often what you see in any given advert is not even close to the reality upon inspection. I inspect a place on the weekend which in the ad looked like a really impressive unit. I get there and its yellow stained carpets and walls with a roof full of mould that the agent tried to explain away with "Oh, its just been locked up for a week and that is why its bad".

Yeah...no.

God this hunt is slowly sending me insane. I am stuck in a complete poo poo hole and despite having now seen thirty units in just over a month I seem unable to find anywhere that is less of a shithole despite my budget rising. So in the meantime I just sit around huffing my mould spores while trying not to go insane.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

insidius posted:

So I am living in a place that grows mould at an impressive rate. The answer from the landlord has been "Keep making noise about this and I will evict you" to which I rang my states tenancy advocacy group and was told that I would win any case in which they attempted to do that and then lose a month later when they evict me for "No reason given".

Long story short I have been on the hunt for a new unit for a while and I must say the one thing really irking me is just how often what you see in any given advert is not even close to the reality upon inspection. I inspect a place on the weekend which in the ad looked like a really impressive unit. I get there and its yellow stained carpets and walls with a roof full of mould that the agent tried to explain away with "Oh, its just been locked up for a week and that is why its bad".

Yeah...no.

God this hunt is slowly sending me insane. I am stuck in a complete poo poo hole and despite having now seen thirty units in just over a month I seem unable to find anywhere that is less of a shithole despite my budget rising. So in the meantime I just sit around huffing my mould spores while trying not to go insane.

Why don't you fight the mold in the meantime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

insidius posted:

Yeah...no.

Most mold is fairly harmless if you don't have allergies or some form of autoimmune disorder. Is there anything else wrong with the place?