Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

*sweats*

Uhhhhhhh, Paul Auster?

Actually, I have the trilogy.

That said I've gone with The Beautiful and the Damned followed by American Psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I got some guy to read one page of invisible cities at work and now he's really mad at me because he has to track down a copy. loving owned idiot

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

I got some guy to read one page of invisible cities at work and now he's really mad at me because he has to track down a copy. loving owned idiot

Calvino is good

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I didn't really like the book much though I love Russian literature from that time. About the only part I really loved was the description of the harvest - it was a great passage.

That's great but what about the description of Karenin deciding to confront Anna and then chickening out? I also really liked the character descriptions, like Stiva's early on, or Vronsky doing his accounts, or his mum being angry with him because he was in love with Anna.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for the recommendation of Zambra, whoever it was. He's great. The Sound of Things Falling is also excellent

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

We all love Italo Calvino here in this thread

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Everyone please read the Cosmicomics most especially the ones in the middle that I can't actually remember what happened but I remember them being fantastic. There's a great one about driving to meet a woman and not knowing whether she is at the same time driving to meet you I think.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just started Mason & Dixon and gently caress me it's a bit dense. Im having fun reading Dixon's dialogue in his geordie accent though 😯

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

jsoh posted:

Congrats on spreading good lit, but does 'has to track down a copy' mean 'go to Barnes & Noble'? Doesn't every bookstore on earth have that book?

I'm still reading Gravity's Rainbow, its been 2 months, reddy for something fresh & not so hard on my bad brain.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

david crosby posted:

Congrats on spreading good lit, but does 'has to track down a copy' mean 'go to Barnes & Noble'? Doesn't every bookstore on earth have that book?

I'm still reading Gravity's Rainbow, its been 2 months, reddy for something fresh & not so hard on my bad brain.

the closest town with a book store is 500 km away and recently burned down

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

jsoh posted:

the closest town with a book store is 500 km away and recently burned down

It's cool how I can reasonably assume that you're talking about the USA rather than Antarctica.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
gay

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 24, 2019

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

im at a remote work camp in alberta and the town that recently burned down is fort macmurray

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

rest his guts posted:

nice inference. i'm sure the guy measuring things in kilometers is from the USA

He reads adult books so clearly he's a cultured metric system user

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
it si finally done

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 24, 2019

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Just started Mason & Dixon and gently caress me it's a bit dense. Im having fun reading Dixon's dialogue in his geordie accent though 😯

That and V are the only ones I have left from Pynchon. I was planning on reading it last because I have heard good things about it and want to savor what may be the last new material by him I will read.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Since someone asked about Journey to the West translations recently, how about Romance of the Three Kingdoms? What's the best translation of that?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

That and V are the only ones I have left from Pynchon. I was planning on reading it last because I have heard good things about it and want to savor what may be the last new material by him I will read.

This is my first foray into the wonderful world of Pynchon 😌

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

3 > 5 > 1 > Peace Walker > 2 > 4

What is this hack poo poo? 3 is misty eyed schlock for baby's. 2 is the only real answer, with 5 being pretty decent.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CestMoi posted:

Everyone please read the Cosmicomics most especially the ones in the middle that I can't actually remember what happened but I remember them being fantastic. There's a great one about driving to meet a woman and not knowing whether she is at the same time driving to meet you I think.

Is it the one about the baby dinosaur walking around? I liked that one. Also the first one about the moon.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

how 'hard' is Against the Day? Gravity's Rainbow is cool but my brain is Just Not Very Good and I am having a time of it, u know? I might take a year or so off from by boy Pynchon, just like I did for Bernhard.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

CestMoi posted:

I'm not sure what the best story is, but the best ending is obviously Meiosis.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david crosby posted:

how 'hard' is Against the Day? Gravity's Rainbow is cool but my brain is Just Not Very Good and I am having a time of it, u know? I might take a year or so off from by boy Pynchon, just like I did for Bernhard.

How far are you in Gravity's Rainbiw?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Solitair posted:

Since someone asked about Journey to the West translations recently, how about Romance of the Three Kingdoms? What's the best translation of that?

Moss Roberts. He's done a huge complete translation and an abridged version. There's also an older translation, but I haven't read it because it's in Wade-Giles; it's probably cheaper though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This book called "Mating" keeps popping up in my local used book store, is it any good? It sounded kind of interesting but I remember seeing it like a year ago and flipping through it, so it must not have made much of an impression.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

It does take awhile to start flowing, once Slothrop takes off on his own things are a lot more straightforward and easier to follow

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guy A. Person posted:

It does take awhile to start flowing, once Slothrop takes off on his own things are a lot more straightforward and easier to follow

i think that's more adaptation than design; i wouldn't call the back half of GR the most straightforward sections.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Halfway through part 3. I get it, but it don't come naturally, whereas everything else in the classical canon does, idk. I'm not gonna give up, and I don't need a boost or like positive energy or daily affirmations or any of that horseshit, I just want 2 know about the difficulty level of against the day, and I wanna hear it from someone who knows Pynchon.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

david crosby posted:

Halfway through part 3. I get it, but it don't come naturally, whereas everything else in the classical canon does, idk. I'm not gonna give up, and I don't need a boost or like positive energy or daily affirmations or any of that horseshit, I just want 2 know about the difficulty level of against the day, and I wanna hear it from someone who knows Pynchon.

Against the Day is harder and less rewarding.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Cloks posted:

Against the Day is harder and less rewarding.

Yowza! Guess I'll skip it for a few years.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heath posted:

This book called "Mating" keeps popping up in my local used book store, is it any good? It sounded kind of interesting but I remember seeing it like a year ago and flipping through it, so it must not have made much of an impression.

Unfortunately, no one in this thread has any experience with mating

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

House Louse posted:

Moss Roberts. He's done a huge complete translation and an abridged version. There's also an older translation, but I haven't read it because it's in Wade-Giles; it's probably cheaper though.

You don't get much cheaper than available for free online. I got ahold of the Moss Roberts one too, and I guess I'll see how different they are soon enough.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Solitair posted:

You don't get much cheaper than available for free online. I got ahold of the Moss Roberts one too, and I guess I'll see how different they are soon enough.

in my experience, the public domain translations of the four great classical novels have been absolutely dire.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

david crosby posted:

Against the Day has a really fun setting(s), a lot of homages to old school serials, some fun characters, some of the best diversions Pynchon has ever written, but gently caress me, at just shy of 1100 pages I just wanted it to be over with and I skipped the last 100 pages or so and read the ending. The book is good, but it falls short of GR'a greatness because it is just loving exhausting to read. If the book were half the length it would be on par with GR. V. is my favorite Pynchon though so if you want more GR but more easily digestible, I would go with that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

david crosby posted:

Mason & Dixon, Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge are all relatively light reads for Pynchon.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

went ahead and got a copy of if on a winter's night a traveller thanks to the discussion itt

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

I got it on Google Play books and showed it to the guy who loves invisible cities and he's offended by the premise I think

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd rank Pynchon difficulty as

M&D> GR > AtD> V. > the rest
Probably. Against the Day never breaks down completely like Gravity's Rainbow. There's always some sort of narrative. Other than that lovecraft section I completely forgot about where they find the giant in the ice. Man, that part was great.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Heath posted:

Against the Day has a really fun setting(s), a lot of homages to old school serials, some fun characters, some of the best diversions Pynchon has ever written, but gently caress me, at just shy of 1100 pages I just wanted it to be over with and I skipped the last 100 pages or so and read the ending. The book is good, but it falls short of GR'a greatness because it is just loving exhausting to read. If the book were half the length it would be on par with GR. V. is my favorite Pynchon though so if you want more GR but more easily digestible, I would go with that.

I will read V one of these years. I bought Against the day like 4 years ago and never got around to reading it, and when I moved, I took only the books I owned that I hadn't read yet/wanted to read again. All the books I hadn't read were like 700+ page monstrosities, so AtD is sitting on the shelf next 2 the Cairo Trilogy, Terra Nostra, Tale of Genji plus other big books for big boys. Maybe I'll be kool and read them one day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Nanomashoes posted:

I'd rank Pynchon difficulty as

M&D> GR > AtD> V. > the rest
Probably. Against the Day never breaks down completely like Gravity's Rainbow. There's always some sort of narrative. Other than that lovecraft section I completely forgot about where they find the giant in the ice. Man, that part was great.

Thank u for the ranking. This is sincerely helpful.