Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

oh. Oh dear. So what do mac ports of games use? metal? My dream of owning a mac and continuing to play video games is in tatters, although I suppose I could boot into windows.

To be honest I can't think of many recent Mac ports. As mentioned above Macs aren't great for gaming unless you build a hackintosh yourself, at which point you may as well dual boot into Windows for the newest games.

My 15" rMBP throttles its CPU from 2.3 to 1.3-1.4 Ghz when the dGPU is running at full load for longer than 5 minutes. :eng99:

That's what happens when you put a 45W TDP CPU and a 50W TDP GPU into a relatively slim case and run the machine off a 85W power supply.

They're a bit like like Tesla cars, super impressive for short bursts of speed and the average user doesn't ever use more than that, but it all falls apart as soon as you demand maximum power for longer than a few seconds. :iiaca:

The next rMBP will probably be even thinner and thus even worse for sustained load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

repiv posted:

Apple aren't supporting Vulkan on OS X or iOS, they want to push their proprietary Metal API instead because gently caress you :eng99:

To be fair though, there is a METAL to Vulkan called MoltenVK that's specifically designed so you can run Vulkan on top of METAL.

It's not a lost cause, just expect a performance hit due to Apple's stupidity.

The Lord Bude posted:

What are the chances of Vulcan supplanting DirectX 12, and therefore putting Mac and Linux on a more even footing with windows?

High honestly, coding for DX12 and translating to Vulkan is apparently fairly easy, so there is no reason not to include Vulkan support in any DX12 game (unless it's Microsoft because they don't want to encourage a competitor). Vulkan's likely to supplant DX12 IMHO as it has much wider platform support, although Windows will hold on forever due to DX11 (unless OpenGL pull a rabbit out of their hat).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

oh. Oh dear. So what do mac ports of games use? metal? My dream of owning a mac and continuing to play video games is in tatters, although I suppose I could boot into windows.

OS X doesn't have enough gaming market share for developers to justify porting to a special snowflake API, so Metal really only gets used when already Metal-based iOS games are ported to OS X.

99% of the time you'd be stuck with Apple's extremely slow OpenGL drivers (or booting into Windows).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

eames posted:

To be honest I can't think of many recent Mac ports. As mentioned above Macs aren't great for gaming unless you build a hackintosh yourself, at which point you may as well dual boot into Windows for the newest games.

My 15" rMBP throttles its CPU from 2.3 to 1.3-1.4 Ghz when the dGPU is running at full load for longer than 5 minutes. :eng99:

That's what happens when you put a 45W TDP CPU and a 50W TDP GPU into a relatively slim case and run the machine off a 85W power supply.

They're a bit like like Tesla cars, super impressive for short bursts of speed and the average user doesn't ever use more than that, but it all falls apart as soon as you demand maximum power for longer than a few seconds. :iiaca:

The next rMBP will probably be even thinner and thus even worse for sustained load.

To be fair I was talking about a 27" imac not a macbook, but I take your point. I was under the impression most AAA games get Mac ports these days. It would still be nice to use OSX most of the time and dual boot into windows for gaming. It's mostly just wishful thinking , given that Nvidia is now putting out slightly underclocked versions of desktop cards for laptops. Or I suppose an external GPU like that thing razer has happening - is that only being supported on that one laptop of theirs?

My current PC isn't going anywhere for the next couple of years in any case.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Looking to get a new GPU for VR. Any recommendations on 1080s and 1070s? I know next to nothing about this stuff anymore, except I think EVGA is still meant to be decent? I'm leaning towards 1080 given with VR it may give an appreciable QoL difference in pretty much everything because of supersampling.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

To be fair though, there is a METAL to Vulkan called MoltenVK that's specifically designed so you can run Vulkan on top of METAL.

It's not a lost cause, just expect a performance hit due to Apple's stupidity.

True, it'll be interesting to see how MoltenVK performs in a real engine.

Hilariously that company also sells an implementation of OpenGL ES on top of Metal, because Apple's own GLES implementation is so godawful slow :downs:

e: Just checked out the MoltenVK docs and it's currently missing a bunch of features. No compute/tessellation/geometry shaders :(

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 20, 2016

eames
May 9, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

To be fair I was talking about a 27" imac not a macbook, but I take your point. I was under the impression most AAA games get Mac ports these days. It would still be nice to use OSX most of the time and dual boot into windows for gaming. It's mostly just wishful thinking , given that Nvidia is now putting out slightly underclocked versions of desktop cards for laptops. Or I suppose an external GPU like that thing razer has happening - is that only being supported on that one laptop of theirs?

My current PC isn't going anywhere for the next couple of years in any case.

The iMacs are of course better for gaming but their GPUs are still abysmal compared to the native screen resolutions and what's available on the market. A new iMac with a mobile GTX1080 is technically possible and would play most games at half resolution with decent frame rates. All we can do is wait and hope. :shobon:

External GPUs already work with Macbooks. Check the techinferno forums for more info.

Compared to an internal card you can expect ~25% lower framerates using an external monitor and 40% lower frame rates using the internal laptop monitor because of TB protocol overhead. I posted about this here.

The Razer core housing costs $500 and a GTX1070 costs $450, so you're probably better off building a separate gaming PC for the same price. You may even be able to buy stripped down GTX1060 laptops around that price in the future.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Apple hardware is insulting. I think its the only computer related anything that can reliably piss me off from just glancing between specs and price.

My job is to prep computers for relatively short term corporate leases. Design studios are a frequent customer (I expect many employees are hired for single contracts) and they used to use OG Mac Pros nearly exclusively. The 5770s (not Firepros...) for those cost $800 each :lol:

Unsurprisingly they have moved away from Apple in general for a myriad of reasons, but reasonable GPU power at a sane price is a big one.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

The Lord Bude posted:

Mac games will be using OpenGL. And you should pretty much never consider Macs for gaming at this point, Apple really, really doesn't give a poo poo about supporting gaming in any serious manner. Their OGL drivers tend to be many versions behind the ones you see on Windows/Linux and won't support Vulkan.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Apple hardware is insulting. I think its the only computer related anything that can reliably piss me off from just glancing between specs and price.

My job is to prep computers for relatively short term corporate leases. Design studios are a frequent customer (I expect many employees are hired for single contracts) and they used to use OG Mac Pros nearly exclusively. The 5770s (not Firepros...) for those cost $800 each :lol:

Unsurprisingly they have moved away from Apple in general for a myriad of reasons, but reasonable GPU power at a sane price is a big one.
you could get a 7870-based firepro or quadro k2200 for less than half that :psyduck:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i still don't understand the idea that designers "need" macs

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

wicka posted:

They dont lol. Arguably all they need are good displays and adequate GPU/CPU to drive software, which is all I ever see anymore.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

wicka posted:

The world has not moved on from 1985. Once you needed a mac for graphics stuff so clearly you still do, or maybe a Amiga.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a go-to table of Pascal cards compared side-by-side that's maintained by some website or grognard? I remember that German benchmark of various 1080 a while back, but then people said that the ASUS STRIX were misrepresented or something. General performance, temperature, and dB are the primary metrics - for the 1080 - I'm looking for.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

wicka posted:

Age old things like needing a Mac to do graphical work, lack of interest in creating viruses for Mac, and brand loyalty/aesthetics. Apple has pushed this hard. One of the tricks to getting end-users to adopt new systems is ensuring the transition is as seamless as possible. Spending $500 extra dollars per unit is fine if basically no one complains. But, as in all things: :capitalism:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

wicka posted:

Good displays/references - also the same visuals across the office/clients etc. But when people use an external monitor that's not Apple, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Of course, most Mac web designers never test their poo poo outside of Safari on macOS, so.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

quote:

In total discrete graphics, AMD gained 4.8 share points to 34.2% of market by unit volume (based on Mercury Research). In desktop discrete, a subset of total discrete, AMD saw a 7.3 share point increase, rising to 29.9% market share.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2016/08/19/amd_gains_48_market_share_in_q1_2016#.V7f6srGxWHs

AMD is slowly gaining market share back.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got my 1070 today installed it ran a few games/benchmarks and...

:stare:Holy loving poo poo this card is fast.:stare:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I got a 470 yesterday. I was telling my IRC friends about the silly color changing poo poo, so I opened the gigabyte software up to mess with it again and it hard locked my computer. Then it wouldn't boot. I spent hours fiddling with it to finally get it running again. Lol Gigabyte software or lol AMD.

(it's probably actually my motherboard's fault)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like I can't buy anything, because that $200 4GB 480 is never in stock and the $240 8GB Amazon sells out in five minutes.

I feel like the prices I think I deserve ($200 for a 4GB and $250 for an 8GB) must not be allowing the OEMs to make any profit or something.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've heard rumors circulate among the sea cucumbers that the 4GB 480 never really existed and is going to quietly disappear into the shadows after looking real good in price-performance comparisons and briefly showing up as 8GB 480s with half their VRAM disabled via BIOS. Has there been any proof to the contrary yet?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

HMS Boromir posted:

I've heard rumors circulate among the sea cucumbers that the 4GB 480 never really existed and is going to quietly disappear into the shadows after looking real good in price-performance comparisons and briefly showing up as 8GB 480s with half their VRAM disabled via BIOS. Has there been any proof to the contrary yet?

I don't think any of the reference 4GB cards were ever actually 4GB cards, they were 8GB cards BIOS flashed to 4GB with lower memory clock, but you can unlock them. I think Sapphire planned on releasing a 4GB aftermarket card, but it was like 230 bucks and I don't think it's been released yet. So yeah, 4GB RX 480's are basically unicorns and the 4GB RX 470 has replaced it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Okay on my EVGA 1070 the fans don't spin up until it hits 60C and the card hits 74C under full load even with the side panel off my case in a heavily air conditioned room (It's 66F in here). The backplate also gets really hot when the card is under a full load so is that normal? The card is factory overclocked so maybe that's why?

And I just realized I now have the same amount of dedicated VRAM and system RAM that's loving crazy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

spasticColon posted:

Okay on my EVGA 1070 the fans don't spin up until it hits 60C and the card hits 74C under full load even with the side panel off my case in a heavily air conditioned room (It's 66F in here). The backplate also gets really hot when the card is under a full load so is that normal? The card is factory overclocked so maybe that's why?

And I just realized I now have the same amount of dedicated VRAM and system RAM that's loving crazy.

That's all normal, the card won't throttle until around 83C, if it hits that at full load then you might want to adjust the fan curve but from what you said your temps sound fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like I can't buy anything, because that $200 4GB 480 is never in stock and the $240 8GB Amazon sells out in five minutes.

I feel like the prices I think I deserve ($200 for a 4GB and $250 for an 8GB) must not be allowing the OEMs to make any profit or something.
There is, however, a GTX "1060" 3gb for $200

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Correction - $185:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263

Add this to get over $200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7GW4658143

Then use Visa Checkout and the promo code VCOGOLD16 to get $15 off. Similarly, it's 15 off 200 generally, so use that code on anything (using it without Visa Checkout gets the discount rescinded, though). Always been a bit leery of the single-fan 'mini' cards outside of an mITX build, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 21, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

The Lord Bude posted:

QuadSli 9800GX2s, core 2 duo E8500, 8gb DDR3 Ram

Isn't that 8-way SLI, was that a thing back then?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MaxxBot posted:

I think he meant dual 9800GX2s, he just spoke redundantly redundantly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MaxxBot posted:

A single dual GPU card is still a SLI configuration so two of them is quad-SLI.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's the same reason why motherboard makers will put "Supports QuadSLI!" on all their boards with two 8x slots, which can confuse a lot of people into thinking they can put 3-4 cards in.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

HMS Boromir posted:

MSI's 4GB 480 has shown up for sale at a few places for $250, offering you lousy value in exchange for a better cooler.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

3GB just sounds like it's going to hit that future wall really hard where I'm throwing away an okay card due ot lousy memory.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Correction - $185:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487263

Add this to get over $200: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA7GW4658143

Then use Visa Checkout and the promo code VCOGOLD16 to get $15 off. Similarly, it's 15 off 200 generally, so use that code on anything (using it without Visa Checkout gets the discount rescinded, though). Always been a bit leery of the single-fan 'mini' cards outside of an mITX build, though.

Wow I can't believe that's in stock

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's all normal, the card won't throttle until around 83C, if it hits that at full load then you might want to adjust the fan curve but from what you said your temps sound fine.

Which utility works best to adjust the fan curve?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

spasticColon posted:

Which utility works best to adjust the fan curve?

Afterburner is good. Lets you do everything. EVGA precision is likely the second most popular

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just had a quick look at the specs between the 1060 6GB and the 970, the games I've been running (between 2009-2013) with the 1060 do fairly well between 40-60 FPS at 4K. Some of the few games I couldn't really run were Tomb Raider (2013) and Metro 2033 (ORIGINAL, not Redux).

After doing a 4K benchmark on TR with all settings at max, TressFX on, and no V-sync, my PC could only get about 13 FPS on average, changing the resolution to 2K slightly improved performance and I got about 31 FPS. The same thing happened on Metro 2033, which really surprised me because that game was 3 years older than TR and somehow my PC couldn't keep up.

Anyways before I start losing the point of my post, is the 1060 replacing the 970 because it runs faster even though it has less CUDA cores? Also if NVIDIA's making a 1050, is that going to replace the 960 as well?

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 21, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Junior Jr. posted:

Just had a quick look at the specs between the 1060 6GB and the 970, the games I've been running (between 2009-2013) with the 1060 do fairly well between 40-60 FPS at 4K. Some of the few games I couldn't really run were Tomb Raider (2013) and Metro 2033 (ORIGINAL, not Redux).

After doing a 4K benchmark on TR with all settings at max, TressFX on, and no V-sync, my PC could only get about 13 FPS on average, changing the resolution to 2K slightly improved performance and I got about 31 FPS. The same thing happened on Metro 2033, which really surprised me because that game was 3 years older than TR and somehow my PC couldn't keep up.

Anyways before I start losing the point of my post, is the 1060 replacing the 970 because it runs faster even though it has less CUDA cores? Also if NVIDIA's making a 1050, is that going to replace the 960 as well?
On desktop, "90 numbers higher = same performance" has more or less been the performance target of Nvidia cards the last seven years, so basically yes.

Also, the 1060 is more powerful than the 970 but trades blows with the 980, while the "1060" with only 3gb is the same performance as 970.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Metro had some crazy Titan class settings like ultra tesselation if you're not careful and PhysX is stupid broken like usual, so don't enable that. Same for that AMD hair in TR2013.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Is there a consensus on which of the GTX 1060 6GB and RX 480 is the overall better option if you're stuck at 1080p60 and like most settings cranked up? It seems like the 1060 generally does better with most benchmarked games, but the 480 outperforms it by a decent amount in others like Hitman and Doom. There are some 1060 models priced around $330-350 CAD (EVGA's mini single fan model, Gigabyte's non-G1 version, PNY, Zotac Mini), but they're still waiting for stock or are backordered everywhere, and the RX 480 only has the stock cooler models so far which are also all around that $340 mark.

I'm probably going to want to upgrade from my GTX 770 2GB soon but I can't justify replacing my display because it still works fine (for now), and I'd rather not spend $600+ CAD for a GTX 1070. I'm not expecting a ton of "future-proofing" from cards at this level, but if I can get something that'll at least be likely to last me until 2018 that'd be nice. Like I said, though, I'm not expecting miracles from these things.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Grog posted:

Is there a consensus on which of the GTX 1060 6GB and RX 480 is the overall better option if you're stuck at 1080p60 and like most settings cranked up? It seems like the 1060 generally does better with most benchmarked games, but the 480 outperforms it by a decent amount in others like Hitman and Doom. There are some 1060 models priced around $330-350 CAD (EVGA's mini single fan model, Gigabyte's non-G1 version, PNY, Zotac Mini), but they're still waiting for stock or are backordered everywhere, and the RX 480 only has the stock cooler models so far which are also all around that $340 mark.

I'm probably going to want to upgrade from my GTX 770 2GB soon but I can't justify replacing my display because it still works fine (for now), and I'd rather not spend $600+ CAD for a GTX 1070. I'm not expecting a ton of "future-proofing" from cards at this level, but if I can get something that'll at least be likely to last me until 2018 that'd be nice. Like I said, though, I'm not expecting miracles from these things.

I'd say your best bet is a 6GB 1060, just keep checking, they come into and go out of stock as shipments come in so you should be able to grab one in the next few weeks without too much trouble. The only 480s I would consider buying are the aftermarket ones and those are either way overpriced or just unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
Got my EVGA 1060 SC friday to replace the current GTX 670. PCB sizes are similar but the cooler is more simple and smaller tue to 50 W less TDP.

Tight fit because of two PCI cards but the closer one is low-profile so it only blocks 25% of the fan.

Fallout 4 runs 65-90 fps on ultra settings and now I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for Deus Ex MD. Surprisingly my CPU temps have gone down ~5 C most likely due to lower TDP GPU. I installed the 0dB fan BIOS to the card and set the temp target to 85 C.