Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rosoboronexport posted:

Got my EVGA 1060 SC friday to replace the current GTX 670. PCB sizes are similar but the cooler is more simple and smaller tue to 50 W less TDP.

Tight fit because of two PCI cards but the closer one is low-profile so it only blocks 25% of the fan.

Fallout 4 runs 65-90 fps on ultra settings and now I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting for Deus Ex MD. Surprisingly my CPU temps have gone down ~5 C most likely due to lower TDP GPU. I installed the 0dB fan BIOS to the card and set the temp target to 85 C.

Ahhh I hope you don't mean you set it to that. Cause when it hits that it will throttle immediately the fans will try to fly out of the case lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People really complain about the RX470 being overpriced compared to the 4GB 480, but are these FPS differences really worth it? The other reviewers that panned the card seemed to get models that run too hot.

Performance-wise I'd do best to buy this OCed 1060, but the 3GB makes me think the bottleneck will be felt before three years, and I'm kind of leaning AMD for an eventual FreeSync monitor at the cost of performance.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Ahhh I hope you don't mean you set it to that. Cause when it hits that it will throttle immediately the fans will try to fly out of the case lol

he is trying to make a bomb and the fan blades are the shrapnel obviously

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

That's what not the 0dB BIOS does lol. It's the same "fan off when <60 C" setting the other cards have, it just wasn't set that way on the first batch of cards. Currently the highest I've got it is 83 C and it boosts to 1923 MHz.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Grog posted:

Is there a consensus on which of the GTX 1060 6GB and RX 480 is the overall better option if you're stuck at 1080p60 and like most settings cranked up?
To me, it depends on whether you play brand new AAA games all the time, or if you buy things on Steam sale and play a lot of competitive online games.

If you play older games a lot, or if you mostly play competitive online games (games whose developers try really hard to appeal to a wide range of players), get the Nvidia card. It seems to generally perform better in those games. Developers that want to target the maximum number of potential players will continue to develop for DX11 for a while, since DX12 is only supported in Windows 10. Vulkan exists, but only three games run in Vulkan, and two of them (Dota 2 and Talos Principle) perform better in OpenGL on all cards. AMD dominance in Vulkan also appears to depend on having a pretty beefy CPU. If you have a weak CPU, Nvidia might be the better choice.

If you play brand-new AAA single player games most of the time (and have a strong CPU), the performance benefits of AMD cards in DX12 and Vulkan might mean something to you.

I looked at Steam stats for the top 100 most popular games right now (hours played). The following list contains the first ten titles that regularly appear in benchmarks in hardware reviews. Games like Overwatch, that are not tracked on Steam, are missing. There many games between these titles in the list that I can't recall seeing benchmarks for lately.

Dota 2
CS:GO
TF2
GTA V
Skyrim
Rocket League
Fallout 4
Witcher 3
Total Warhammer
Black Ops 3

In this list, I think only Total Warhammer and Black Ops 3 show any affinity towards AMD cards.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

People really complain about the RX470 being overpriced compared to the 4GB 480, but are these FPS differences really worth it? The other reviewers that panned the card seemed to get models that run too hot.

Performance-wise I'd do best to buy this OCed 1060, but the 3GB makes me think the bottleneck will be felt before three years, and I'm kind of leaning AMD for an eventual FreeSync monitor at the cost of performance.

Test methodology in the Eurogamer article is lacking. What was their test platform (APU? Skylake? X99?). They were testing a factory OC RX 470, but the author does not say if the RX 480 is reference clock, or OC. What about the R9 390 and the Nvidia cards?

It appears to be pretty easy to tilt things to fit a viewpoint. Other reviews (with more detailed test methods) are showing a bigger difference between RX 470 and RX 480. I could probably test a bunch of cards with a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz) and show that GTX 1080 shows little performance improvement compared to RX 460.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 21, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What is about ASUS and GIGABYTE's aftermarket 1080/70 cards that have landed them a bad rep? I've seen the great Gainward/Palit benchmarks, but not heard too much about ASUS and GIGABYTE.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PBCrunch posted:

Test methodology in the Eurogamer article is lacking. What was their test platform (APU? Skylake? X99?). They were testing a factory OC RX 470, but the author does not say if the RX 480 is reference clock, or OC. What about the R9 390 and the Nvidia cards?

It appears to be pretty easy to tilt things to fit a viewpoint. Other reviews (with more detailed test methods) are showing a bigger difference between RX 470 and RX 480. I could probably test a bunch of cards with a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86GHz) and show that GTX 1080 shows little performance improvement compared to RX 460.

They're running with an overclocked i7-6700K, I think it's at 4.6GHz, but you're right, they should state it clearly every time.

Digital Foundry's methodology is usually pretty solid, and their videos extremely informative. That said, the suggestion to make sure they detail the test set-up every time is a useful one.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Problem is AMD overpromised and underdelivered which is something people hate. People were promised the RX480 for $200 but it turns out that card doesn't exist so now they still have to pay $200 but for 5% less performance.
But it doesn't seem to hurt them with the RX480 still selling as many as they can build.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!
Hi gents,

I just picked up a new 144hz freesync monitor (AOC G2460PF) to go along my new RX 470. I was experiencing constant flickering on the desktop at 144hz, but not at 120hz. A solution appears to be to use a programme called ClockBlocker that stops the card from going into a power-saving mode. It's working fine now, but I'm wondering if there are any consequences for running my card with higher GPU core / memory clocks constantly?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Smarf posted:

Hi gents,

I just picked up a new 144hz freesync monitor (AOC G2460PF) to go along my new RX 470. I was experiencing constant flickering on the desktop at 144hz, but not at 120hz. A solution appears to be to use a programme called ClockBlocker that stops the card from going into a power-saving mode. It's working fine now, but I'm wondering if there are any consequences for running my card with higher GPU core / memory clocks constantly?

The newest hotfix driver supposedly has a fix for this exact scenario. Are you running the very latest driver (16.8.2)?

(With a Freesync supported display and Freesync enabled, some users may experience flickering on desktop during system idle.)

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

HalloKitty posted:

The newest hotfix driver supposedly has a fix for this exact scenario. Are you running the very latest driver (16.8.2)?

(With a Freesync supported display and Freesync enabled, some users may experience flickering on desktop during system idle.)

Just tried it with the drivers you linked and still getting the flicker at 144hz, not at 120hz.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Are there any GTX 1080's that are shorter than 10.5" (267mm)?

It seems like there are a few 9.5" 1070's, and of course the mini-ITX 6.5" 1070.

A 9.5" 1080 wouldn't be unreasonable I'd think. My case (Rosewill U3-B) takes 260mm max and I'm hesitant to try to stretch in those last 7 mm.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Smarf posted:

Just tried it with the drivers you linked and still getting the flicker at 144hz, not at 120hz.
You could try the Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstall, and see if it helps. (Uninstall driver -> Don't reboot -> Use DDU and boot into Safe Mode -> Remove stuff -> Reinstall drivers. Believe that's the flow.)

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

ufarn posted:

You could try the Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstall, and see if it helps. (Uninstall driver -> Don't reboot -> Use DDU and boot into Safe Mode -> Remove stuff -> Reinstall drivers. Believe that's the flow.)

I tried removing them in safe mode with DDU, then installing the drivers that were linked above. Still no change. The one thing I've found that seems to work is running Clockblocker, but I'm not certain it's safe for the card to not enter a low-power mode.

Smarf fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 21, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Smarf posted:

I tried removing them in safe mode with DDU, then installing the drivers that were linked above. Still no change. The one thing I've found that seems to work is running Clockblocker, but I'm not certain it's safe for the card to not enter a low-power mode.

It'll just run at a middle clock level and use a bit more power.

My HD6970 won't clock down with 2 monitors attached so I just deal with it because 2 monitors is too nice

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

Haquer posted:

It'll just run at a middle clock level and use a bit more power.

My HD6970 won't clock down with 2 monitors attached so I just deal with it because 2 monitors is too nice

What software do you use? Using Clockblocker it shows my Memory and Core clock maxed on GPU-Z, though the overall card load is low.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PBCrunch posted:

To me, it depends on whether you play brand new AAA games all the time, or if you buy things on Steam sale and play a lot of competitive online games.

If you play older games a lot, or if you mostly play competitive online games (games whose developers try really hard to appeal to a wide range of players), get the Nvidia card. It seems to generally perform better in those games. Developers that want to target the maximum number of potential players will continue to develop for DX11 for a while, since DX12 is only supported in Windows 10. Vulkan exists, but only three games run in Vulkan, and two of them (Dota 2 and Talos Principle) perform better in OpenGL on all cards. AMD dominance in Vulkan also appears to depend on having a pretty beefy CPU. If you have a weak CPU, Nvidia might be the better choice.

If you play brand-new AAA single player games most of the time (and have a strong CPU), the performance benefits of AMD cards in DX12 and Vulkan might mean something to you.

I looked at Steam stats for the top 100 most popular games right now (hours played). The following list contains the first ten titles that regularly appear in benchmarks in hardware reviews. Games like Overwatch, that are not tracked on Steam, are missing. There many games between these titles in the list that I can't recall seeing benchmarks for lately.

Dota 2
CS:GO
TF2
GTA V
Skyrim
Rocket League
Fallout 4
Witcher 3
Total Warhammer
Black Ops 3

In this list, I think only Total Warhammer and Black Ops 3 show any affinity towards AMD cards.

This is fine logic comparing relative performance differences and improvements within the same brand, but unfortunately when you just look at raw numbers it doesn't look that way. There is no real reason to buy a current AMD card except for freesync.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This is fine logic comparing relative performance differences and improvements within the same brand, but unfortunately when you just look at raw numbers it doesn't look that way. There is no real reason to buy a current AMD card except for freesync.

I'd agree. I had the exact same question as the OP, and in the end I chose the 1060. Now I was upgrading from a R9270, so the difference to me is like night and day, but I swapped sides for a couple of reasons. AMD at the moment are edging ahead in DX12, but only on a handful of titles, and once Nvidia wrap their heads around it, you'll see that advantage disappear. AMD also seem like a company in complete disarray, as seen in the whole RX480 4gb/8gb thing, and can also be seen in their Driver support. It's better, but in all honesty, nowhere near as good as Nvidias.

Also the fact that this card uses less power, and the fans barely every kick in is surreal to me.

AMD just always seem to be playing catchup. They drop the RX480, and Nvidia casually toss the 1060 into the mix as a response. The fact that aftermarket RX480's have only now just started to appear for sale is indicative of how badly run AMD actually is as a company. Here's a product which for once gives them a competitive edge over their main rivals, and instead of flooding the market, and ensuring their partners had enough product to be able to flood the market with their own cooler designs, they basically sat on it, and hosed around with a 4gb version that doesnt really exist.

A big part of the reason I went with the 1060 was that I could actually buy the drat thing. I didn't want a reference RX480, because pretty much every review said the same thing. It's loud and runs hot. When you can only find these for sale on pretty much every major site in the UK, thats a problem.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Smarf posted:

Hi gents,

I have the exact same problem as you (same monitor except that in my case I'm running a RX480). Flickering at 144hz but not at 120.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Billa posted:

I have the exact same problem as you (same monitor except that in my case I'm running a RX480). Flickering at 144hz but not at 120.

I don't have a freesync/gsync monitor so I don't know: but can't you just set it to 120Hz at the desktop and still have freesync work in games? It seems irritating to some small degree, but I doubt anyone will see the difference between 120 and 144Hz.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

Billa posted:

What driver are you using on the monitor? At this stage I'm guessing it's more of a Crimson driver issue than anything.

HalloKitty posted:

I don't have a freesync/gsync monitor so I don't know: but can't you just set it to 120Hz at the desktop and still have freesync work in games? It seems irritating to some small degree, but I doubt anyone will see the difference between 120 and 144Hz.

You can, I just want to make sure its not a monitor issue whilst I'm still able to get a full refund. Also considering that the latest drivers were meant to fix it but doesn't seem to work for either of us.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

lorddazron posted:

AMD just always seem to be playing catchup. They drop the RX480, and Nvidia casually toss the 1060 into the mix as a response. The fact that aftermarket RX480's have only now just started to appear for sale is indicative of how badly run AMD actually is as a company. Here's a product which for once gives them a competitive edge over their main rivals, and instead of flooding the market, and ensuring their partners had enough product to be able to flood the market with their own cooler designs, they basically sat on it, and hosed around with a 4gb version that doesnt really exist.

A big part of the reason I went with the 1060 was that I could actually buy the drat thing. I didn't want a reference RX480, because pretty much every review said the same thing. It's loud and runs hot. When you can only find these for sale on pretty much every major site in the UK, thats a problem.

I think you might be exhibiting some selective memory. It took Nvidia HOW long to stabilize supplies of GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, especially reasonably priced AIB cards?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wow, here in :canada: we're getting shafted even harder than usual on hardware prices. The RX480 and GTX1060 are meant to be, what, $250-ish? In practice they're both $400-$450 depending on which manufacturer you get them from -- assuming you can find them for sale at all, which you probably can't.

Even with shipping, customs, and the exchange rate, it might actually be cheaper for me to order a card from the US.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

lorddazron posted:

AMD at the moment are edging ahead in DX12, but only on a handful of titles, and once Nvidia wrap their heads around it, you'll see that advantage disappear.

NV getting good at DX12 for the 11 series cards won't do your 1060 much good, if they do get good at it without making sacrifices.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

ToxicFrog posted:

Wow, here in :canada: we're getting shafted even harder than usual on hardware prices. The RX480 and GTX1060 are meant to be, what, $250-ish? In practice they're both $400-$450 depending on which manufacturer you get them from -- assuming you can find them for sale at all, which you probably can't.

Even with shipping, customs, and the exchange rate, it might actually be cheaper for me to order a card from the US.
Not really. Pricing isn't jacked up in canada for those cards, availability is just poo poo right now. $250ish USD is the expected price, really 250 to 300 range as you can see here (US pricing): http://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=a8&page=1&c=373

GTX 1060s are priced mostly around $330-400 canadian as you can see here http://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=a8&page=1&c=373

Pretty much exactly the same pricing going by the exchange rate. At the current exchange, 330 canadian is about 255 usd. This "canadian hardware prices suck" meme needs to die. Now it's true that basically nothing is in stock anywhere and that part sucks and is frustrating. But taking a quick look through some links from US pcpartpicker, it seems like stock is very very limited in the US also, with the reasonably priced options mostly being out of stock there as well. You're not seeing a canadian pricing issue or any kind of canada-specific issue, you're seeing a low supply issue.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

NV getting good at DX12 for the 11 series cards won't do your 1060 much good, if they do get good at it without making sacrifices.

This was more of the point I wanted to make but didn't say. Clearly AMD better utilizes DX12, and frankly I don't see Nvidia making any sort of fundamental leap with it with the tech thats on the market (and on the same vein I don't see AMD making any leaps with it either on the current tech). But... Nvidia counterparts to AMD cards still either run the same or still run better in the same benchmarks. Then they simply do better overall in all the other games. I know this is basically a dead horse by now but its just a tad strange to see the strong sales of what seem to me to be overpriced cards. But, honestly, good for them I guess. Live on to maybe not disappoint another day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The shitload of tax that gets added on to purchases in Canada -- even online ones -- is why the "canadian hardware prices suck" thing continues.

Newegg doesn't charge sales tax in most states, but in Canada, they charge both federal and provincial sales taxes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Col.Kiwi posted:

Not really. Pricing isn't jacked up in canada for those cards, availability is just poo poo right now. $250ish USD is the expected price, really 250 to 300 range as you can see here (US pricing): http://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=a8&page=1&c=373

GTX 1060s are priced mostly around $330-400 canadian as you can see here http://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=a8&page=1&c=373

Pretty much exactly the same pricing going by the exchange rate. At the current exchange, 330 canadian is about 255 usd.

...which is a far cry from the $400-$450 cards are actually selling for on Newegg or NCIX. There are cards listed much closer to the $330-$350 I'd expect to see, but all of them are either out of stock or "pre-order only, pricing subject to change".

PCPartpicker is just as useless at pricing information as it always has been; it doesn't check stock information, and indeed seems to preferentially use out-of-stock items as its basis for pricing, so all a price listed on PCPP means is "the site claims that, at some point in the past, people may have been able to buy this item at this price". Earlier this year I helped a friend put a new desktop together and I don't a think a single item in PCPP showed a price that actually reflected what is was sold for on the listed sites.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

A single dual GPU card is still a SLI configuration so two of them is quad-SLI.

That's close to the setup I used to Play Crysis the first time. Tri SLI 8800GTX's on a Overclocked E6600. It was playable at ultra until you got to the final boss and it sort of memory leaked all over its face.

Even upgraded to a Q9550 that system couldn't quite run it as good as the system I built for myself with a Q9550 also, and a 4870X2. The X2 was able to play it all the way through with ease always above 30FPS lol. Was interesting to see ATI graphics really slap the Nvidia stuff around in Crysis a lot back when.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

ToxicFrog posted:

...which is a far cry from the $400-$450 cards are actually selling for on Newegg or NCIX. There are cards listed much closer to the $330-$350 I'd expect to see, but all of them are either out of stock or "pre-order only, pricing subject to change".

PCPartpicker is just as useless at pricing information as it always has been; it doesn't check stock information, and indeed seems to preferentially use out-of-stock items as its basis for pricing, so all a price listed on PCPP means is "the site claims that, at some point in the past, people may have been able to buy this item at this price". Earlier this year I helped a friend put a new desktop together and I don't a think a single item in PCPP showed a price that actually reflected what is was sold for on the listed sites.
OK but are there any in stock in the US that are cheaper? I acknowledged that the reasonably priced ones in canada are all out of stock. Seems like its the same thing in the US. I didnt spend a ton of time researching it but the ones I saw in stock at US retailers were like 310-320 USD or more which converts to 400 CAD or more. My point was only that canada isn't any worse off than the US and I think that's valid. In both countries there is limited stock but it's not canada "getting shafted even harder than usual."

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, the lack of stock for the decent-priced models is more the issue than anything right now. The ones that are actually available at Newegg.ca, for example, are basically just at the cost they'd be after a currency conversion from the USD price, or they're being sold at $70+ markups from third-party sellers. The cheaper models are out of stock pretty much everywhere both here and in the US.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Always double check to make sure you're running the most current drivers when you get a new video card :v:

I was having a ton of issues with my new RX 480 to the point I was considering returning it and the monitor I bought when I decided I needed to recheck the drivers I downloaded when I got it a couple of days a go. They were several versions behind... It's running much better now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
PCIe 4.0 (v.7 of the spec) to have 16 GT/s and 300W from the slot. :toot:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pcie-4.0-power-speed-express,32525.html

edit: forum trimmed the url.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 22, 2016

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

so no more 6 pins or 8 pins yay!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

wargames posted:

so no more 6 pins or 8 pins yay!

Now the six pin or eight pin or whatever will plug into the motherboard probably. Instead of adding a better psu to a cheap oem system to allow installation of a high power graphics card, note you might need a whole new motherboard? You know low end systems won't have the extra power connectors on the motherboard.

And high power PCIe 4.0 cards won't work in low power legacy boards?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 22, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

just plug in the entire loving PSU to the mobo

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Just plug the PSU into the graphics card and let the card power the CPU through the slot, rather than the reverse.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

SwissArmyDruid posted:

PCIe 4.0 (v.7 of the spec) to have 16 GT/s and 300W from the slot. :toot:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pcie-4.0-power-speed-express,32525.html

edit: forum trimmed the url.

Okay I'm not a computer hardware engineer but how is this even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

spasticColon posted:

Okay I'm not a computer hardware engineer but how is this even possible?

Doesn't seem hard, just have a power connector on the motherboard and then some fat traces to the PCIe connector.

Remember that microwaves, air conditioners, etc. often exceed 1,000 watts.