Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Horror number two: redirecting to a different country's site when referrer is set. I followed a link, dammit, I want to go to the linked page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

am I supposed to be seeing it writing "LifeCycle" over and over again

e: it stopped after about 100 LifeCycles

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

My favorite part is the GET to googleapis every time a LifeCycle is added

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not getting into specifics, but any time I try to do something new using the Windows API, I feel like it's been written by a hardware vendor.

It's 2016, you're the ones promoting C++ at the least, or C#/managed code more often than not; why the hell does your API read and write through pointers, giving me obtuse handles connecting to system objects I then have to keep around as parameters for future system calls?

I frequently find myself scouring github for dumb wrapper/multiplatform classes with MIT license or the boost library to avoid dealing with what should be straightforward for someone writing Microsoft Windows code in Microsoft Visual Studio.

This is such a weird thing to say.

First of all, the OS wasn't written in 2016. That should be a big clue for you.

Second, if you're using C#, you can write a huge number of apps without directly calling any Windows APIs at all. And if you were wanting to use the NEW new API's, you can consume them in C# directly. So promoting C# for apps and also having OS APIs isn't a conflict.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yeah duh. It was written in 2014, get with the program :rolleyes:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's 2016, you're the ones promoting C++ at the least, or C#/managed code more often than not; why the hell does your API read and write through pointers, giving me obtuse handles connecting to system objects I then have to keep around as parameters for future system calls?

Windows, as a rule, doesn't provide utility libraries - there are utility libraries all over the place, but they're for Microsoft's private use, this way they can keep the public API minimalistic and stable while having a lot of freedom internally. There are very few exceptions to this, like the GDI+ C++ wrappers (which are in fact the official API, although GDI+ is a C API on the DLL boundary) and that general crypto library they added in Windows Vista

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

"We should implement our own eliptical curve crypto and design our own hardware accelerator for it."

What could go wrong? :pram:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I think that even just discussing rolling your own crypto is a coding horror

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's developer 101 poo poo right there, never ever roll your own crypto. Anyone that brings it up should be terminated on the spot.

You can't even google the topic without getting a dozen links warning you not to try.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
But it will be more secure. You see, other crypto systems are known and open source, ours will be secret!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ChickenWing posted:

I think that even just discussing rolling your own crypto is a coding horror

Yeah, when we did it for a class in university, the prof was really clear: "This assignment has you implement a cryptosystem as an exercise to make sure you understand the basics of how modern cryptosystems work; under no circumstances does this mean that you should ever code your own implementation of a cryptosystem for any real-world application."

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It will probably get assigned to me. I'm pretty drat good so don't fret. :smug:

But really, yeah, bad idea. I talked to my manager and said all the usual problems, that I'm not qualified, and half-joked he was asking me to hang myself with an eliptical noose. "Who is? Ha ha! Don't worry kiddo!"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

xzzy posted:

That's developer 101 poo poo right there, never ever roll your own crypto. Anyone that brings it up should be terminated on the spot.

You can't even google the topic without getting a dozen links warning you not to try.

http://classicprogrammerpaintings.com/post/148027314949/we-rolled-our-own-crypto-pieter-bruegel-the

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=393463 probably qualifies for this thread. Just send full Qt programs over the internet how can that be a bad idea?! Millions of Qt devs are clamoring for it!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lol @ QML. Yes, just run thousands of JS expressions at 60FPS, and rendering and layout are blocked on them. Also, JS engines are totally optimized around starting it up from C++ and running one expression and then exiting really, really fast, right?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
never not homerolled crypto #yolo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also lmao @ thinking crypto abstinence is effective.

we should be teaching people how to think about cryptosystems robustly. there are a lot of people designing their own cryptosystem -- every single time you introduce GPG signing or even SHA256 hashing for integrity you're designing a cryptosystem -- you can totally use these things wrong, thinking they have magical properties, and i've seen it a lot.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Enigma was good enough for hitler, it's good enough for your ad cookies

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Soricidus posted:

Enigma was good enough for hitler, it's good enough for your ad cookies

Enigma was good but in the end it couldn't Turing-compete.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

also lmao @ thinking crypto abstinence is effective.

we should be teaching people how to think about cryptosystems robustly. there are a lot of people designing their own cryptosystem -- every single time you introduce GPG signing or even SHA256 hashing for integrity you're designing a cryptosystem -- you can totally use these things wrong, thinking they have magical properties, and i've seen it a lot.

The discussion is about writing your own crypto algorithms, for actual use. Noone is advocating for ignorance about cryptography.

Of course people need to learn how to develop systems that use crypto algorithms; to learn how they work, and what their limitations are. Of course that might include implementing their own algorithms as a learning exercise.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Testing horror (TestNG+Mockito):

Run all tests in the project: one suite fails both tests.

Run that suite: both tests pass

Run each test individually: first test passes, second test fails.

:shepface:

The best part was I was able to immediately guess which project team had made it :argh:

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I found that desire or willingness to implement crypto (to be actually used) is inversely proportional to crypto expertise.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Beef posted:

I found that desire or willingness to implement crypto (to be actually used) is inversely proportional to crypto expertise.

i thank the blessed baby jesus every day that we have a entire dev team whose title is literally "security" and they spend all their time going to conferences, steeping themselves in research, pentesting their own poo poo, and reviewing everyone else's code.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i thank the blessed baby jesus every day that we have a entire dev team whose title is literally "security" and they spend all their time going to conferences, steeping themselves in research, pentesting their own poo poo, and reviewing everyone else's code.

Heck of a lot better than our security team, who meet once a week and bicker about phrasing in policy documents. They're like congress but less effective.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I just had a phone screen and when I got asked how much I knew about crypto, I said literally the only thing I knew about it was to not do it myself. The guy laughed and said "good answer" and we moved on and now I have a real interview so I guess he was satisfied?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

raminasi posted:

I just had a phone screen and when I got asked how much I knew about crypto, I said literally the only thing I knew about it was to not do it myself. The guy laughed and said "good answer" and we moved on and now I have a real interview so I guess he was satisfied?

Thats a good phone screen question. If they say anything other than "not doing it" you end it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

necrotic posted:

Thats a good phone screen question. If they say anything other than "not doing it" you end it.

Is your goal to ensure that you only hire fresh grads? There's a hell of a difference between "don't roll your own crypto" and "it's impossible to know anything at all about crypto".

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You shouldn't roll your own crypto. :smuggo:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

Is your goal to ensure that you only hire fresh grads? There's a hell of a difference between "don't roll your own crypto" and "it's impossible to know anything at all about crypto".

Good point... I've been targeting senior so I'm in that mindset. And we do not do crypto. To be fair it's not an immediate no but a good indicator for most folks.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

necrotic posted:

Good point... I've been targeting senior so I'm in that mindset. And we do not do crypto. To be fair it's not an immediate no but a good indicator for most folks.

Unless your entire job is writing a crypto library/toolset. And the position you're hiring for is a crypto expert that can help you get "to the next level" (whatever that may be). In that case, "don't roll your own" is obviously the wrong answer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Volguus posted:

Unless your entire job is writing a crypto library/toolset. And the position you're hiring for is a crypto expert that can help you get "to the next level" (whatever that may be). In that case, "don't roll your own" is obviously the wrong answer.

At that point the interview should be querying you on skills at deflecting questions from NSA spooks and perhaps your willingness to intentionally introduce vulnerabilities.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Volguus posted:

Pretty much my point, but I try to stay away from "never".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

At that point the interview should be querying you on skills at deflecting questions from NSA spooks and perhaps your willingness to intentionally introduce vulnerabilities.

One of the places I interviewed at recently spent a significant portion of their time querying how I would handle bullshit demands from the scientists they work with (e.g. "I demand you use this tool, because everyone we work with is using it" even if the tool is completely orthogonal to the work we do).

darkpool
Aug 4, 2014

A friend of mine in security says any machine that's had anything installed with CPAN should be considered compromised, the attacker just has to GPG sign their malware package with a throwaway key they put on the keyservers, a lot of package managers have the same issue and PiP was only somewhat fixed relatively recently.

CPAN used to also allow you to define your own digest algorithm in a package, which is then used to verify the checksum you gave it, staggering.

This is a direct result of roll-your-own security instead of just using RPM.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

darkpool posted:

CPAN used to also allow you to define your own digest algorithm in a package, which is then used to verify the checksum you gave it, staggering.

Ah yes, the "Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you're a cop" security model.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

darkpool posted:

A friend of mine in security says any machine that's had anything installed with CPAN should be considered compromised, the attacker just has to GPG sign their malware package with a throwaway key they put on the keyservers, a lot of package managers have the same issue and PiP was only somewhat fixed relatively recently.

This is a direct result of roll-your-own security instead of just using RPM.

except CPAN predates RPM by four years.

darkpool
Aug 4, 2014

Hughlander posted:

except CPAN predates RPM by four years.

Referring to package managers in general, not just CPAN. Also there's never a bad time to throw out your hand rolled security and replace it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They were probably hoping to get Perl 6 polished and shipped before tackling a redesign of cpan.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

darkpool posted:

This is unsurprising considering that Perl is basically Calvinball: The Language. Why wouldn't the package manager be the same way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 26, 2016