Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can anyone recommend books similar to Sphere by Michael Crichton or other sci-fi books that take place in modernish times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

im gay posted:

Can anyone recommend books similar to Sphere by Michael Crichton or other sci-fi books that take place in modernish times?

The Deep by Nick Cutter

Pressure by Brian Keene

If you only choose one, go with Cutter.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks, those look decent. I was maybe hoping for something more diverse related to time travel or other sci-fi elements that take place in modern times that aren't necessarily underwater.

Something like if Interstellar was in a book or something.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

im gay posted:

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child write in a subgenre often termed 'technothriller' that usually matches up well with the kind of thing that Chrichton was doing in Sphere. I used to love them.

Look into their co-authored book The Ice Limit (which has a new sequel I've not read), about an expedition to retrieve an anomalous object found in the arctic

Also Child's solo novel Deep Storm, about a drilling rig which uncovers extraterrestrial tech

no time travel tho

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Jeff VanderMeer's Annihilation is a thoroughly Crichtonesque horror-thriller that I mostly enjoyed. It was the first book in a trilogy, but the story wrapped up nicely and I didn't feel compelled to read the other two. If you want stuff like Crichton, it might be worth checking out.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

im gay posted:

Thanks, those look decent. I was maybe hoping for something more diverse related to time travel or other sci-fi elements that take place in modern times that aren't necessarily underwater.

More recent things I've enjoyed that gently caress with time are Blueprints of the Afterlife and How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe. The latter seems to catch some flack here, though, but maybe that's because it's not "serious" enough or something. If you want more diverse, John Dies at the End is a goofy buddy/sci-fi/horror story that gets into extra-dimensional beings and weird poo poo like that and legit made me laugh out loud a few times. PKD messes with time a lot, too, especially with his short stories, and Vonnegut's Timequake fits the mold for something more philosophical/less sci-fi. Oh, and it's not about time-travel, but you might get some joy out of Solaris, too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest China Miéville's The City & The City and saying anything else would be spoilers.
Well, it's not very scientific but the concept is pretty weird anyway.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 22, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

im gay posted:

Something like if Interstellar was in a book or something.
Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, if 1985 is modern enough for you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

im gay posted:

Fragment and Pandemonium by Warren Fahy.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Fragment and Pandemonium by Warren Fahy.

Fragment is pretty much a Jurassic Park re-write, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

funkybottoms posted:

Fragment is pretty much a Jurassic Park re-write, though.

I enjoyed it more than JP though.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Recent things I've read online make me want to find as many sci-fi and fantasy books where queer people do cool things and don't suffer and die for being queer as I can. Bonus points if the author is themselves queer.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Solitair posted:

Recent things I've read online make me want to find as many sci-fi and fantasy books where queer people do cool things and don't suffer and die for being queer as I can. Bonus points if the author is themselves queer.

Some I read recently:
Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner
Wake of Vultures by Lila Bowen
Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson

I'd be curious to add more to my to-read list.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Solitair posted:

Charles Stross' Halting State - one of the three protagonists is a married lesbian cop who gets drawn into a techno-thriller. It's a bit odd due to the second person pov, but I'm 226 pages into it and having a good time.

S Andrew Swann's second Moreau book, Emperors of the Twilight, features a lesbian cyborg who goes through a whole thriller plot with a lot of action but finds some love along the way and the last page is the protagonist and her girlfriend being alive and kissing. I don't recall how reliant it is on the first book for plot, but the first one is about a giant tiger-man detective who gets involved in a bizarro investigation way out of his league with lots of action, so it's fun to read.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Solitair posted:

Richard K. Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes series. Two of the three main characters are gay.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Solitair posted:

Tanya Huff is a good source for this. She has written tons of short stories and fiction ranging from Space Marines to urban fantasy to vampire romance mysteries to High Fantasy. Lots of queer characters doing stuff and not treated any differently than non-queer folk.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Time Cowboy posted:

Some I read recently:
Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner
Wake of Vultures by Lila Bowen
Sorcerer of the Wildeeps by Kai Ashante Wilson

I'd be curious to add more to my to-read list.

It's old and a bit obscure, but J. F. Rivkin's "Silverglass" series is basically a genderflipped, bisexual version of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Richard K. Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes series. Two of the three main characters are gay.

Ringil suffers for being gay, he's just so badass that he's never really in personal danger cause nobody wants to gently caress with him.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Khizan posted:

Ringil suffers for being gay, he's just so badass that he's never really in personal danger cause nobody wants to gently caress with him.

The way I parsed the original question was along the lines of, "I want sci-fi or fantasy stories with gay characters that do not suffer a fate similar to Matthew Shepard." Ringil catches poo poo for being gay, but he also catches poo poo for being an insufferable rear end in a top hat to nearly everyone and because he's a homicidal maniac. Further, he isn't killed for being gay, and he absolutely does a bunch of cool poo poo.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Khizan posted:

I loved this trilogy, but I'd never recommend a book where there's repeated flashbacks to a gay man being executed by carefully impaling him on a spike so he takes days to die screaming to someone who wants a story where gay people aren't persecuted.

The only darker story I've read in my entire life is maybe The Second Apocalypse, and I'm not sure about that. These are some straight-up black stories.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I loved this trilogy, but I'd never recommend a book where there's repeated flashbacks to a gay man being executed by carefully impaling him on a spike so he takes days to die screaming to someone who wants a story where gay people aren't persecuted.

The only darker story I've read in my entire life is maybe The Second Apocalypse, and I'm not sure about that. These are some straight-up black stories.

I forgot about that part. Good call.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson and am now on True Hallucinations by Terrence McKenna. What are some other crazy drug books? I'm less interested in the science/philosophy aspect and more in the "dudes take a ton of drugs and have crazy adventures".

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Scanner Darkly is dark and brilliant, as well as an utter mindfuck (well, all of Dick is, but you get it).

Trainspotting is fun and hilarious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Naked Lunch, if you can stomach it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mcustic posted:

A Scanner Darkly is dark and brilliant, as well as an utter mindfuck (well, all of Dick is, but you get it).

Trainspotting is fun and hilarious.

I loved the movie of A Scanner Darkly but I never knew it was a book, I'll check that out thanks. I like the movie Trainspotting but the phonetic accent speech in the book is a little off-putting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Naked Lunch, if you can stomach it.

I'll check this out, thanks!

I should add I'm more interested in real life or based in real life books, but am definitely open to novels too.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 25, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson and am now on True Hallucinations by Terrence McKenna. What are some other crazy drug books? I'm less interested in the science/philosophy aspect and more in the "dudes take a ton of drugs and have crazy adventures".

Inherent Vice (and other Pynchon)
Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Inherent Vice (and other Pynchon)
Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me

Pynchon is such a good recommendation. The filthiest toilet in Scotland bit from Trainspotting is pretty much a quote from Gravity's Rainbow. But it's a lot of work, reading that one. Piketty's book is now the most frequently abandoned title on Kindle, but I presume Gravity's Rainbow is in the top ten.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test is great. It ties in nicely with Hell's Angels if you want to read more HST (though Hell's Angels is a bit less druggy).

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you read Naked Lunch sober you're grievously loving up

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
NL stands up sober.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Naked Lunch gets all the attention, but Junkie deserves more of the spotlight. It's also a good Druggy-Hijinks book, though of course it goes down much darker territories as the addiction grows.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I feel like Naked Lunch is one of those books everyone says thry have read, but nobody actually has.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TommyGun85 posted:

I feel like Naked Lunch is one of those books everyone says thry have read, but nobody actually has.

The Strand had a display out a few months back labeled 'books you pretended to read in college.' I don't recall whether Naked Lunch was on there, but Ulysses and Infinite Jest both were

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've read it multiple times AND watched the film more than once.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's got a very readable style if you can stomach the contents. It's a collection of false-starts to pulp novels. And short too!

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Franchescanado posted:

Naked Lunch gets all the attention, but Junkie deserves more of the spotlight. It's also a good Druggy-Hijinks book, though of course it goes down much darker territories as the addiction grows.

Seconding the hell out of this. Junkie has a fluid narrative, is enjoyable, and slightly informative. Naked Lunch is... less so. Plus, you can read Junkie in an afternoon rather easily.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Ive really been into religion specifically old ancient stuff dealing w evil andor crazy poo poo. What should i read? Ive got some HPL and like it but i was hoping for some more, but not necessarily HPL.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ButtWolf posted:

Hey Ive really been into religion specifically old ancient stuff dealing w evil andor crazy poo poo. What should i read? Ive got some HPL and like it but i was hoping for some more, but not necessarily HPL.

If you're looking for fiction, then come on over to the cosmic horror fiction thread, there's a lot in there that would fit the bill if the comparison you're making is to Lovecraft.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I am almost done reading Confederacy of Dunces and i love it. Does anyone have any recommendations for books that are similarly hilarious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

I am almost done reading Confederacy of Dunces and i love it. Does anyone have any recommendations for books that are similarly hilarious?

While there's nothing quite like CoD, you might want to check out Tom Robbins. Say, Jitterbug Perfume, Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas, or Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates.