Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Order knockoff lego from China, get a box full of Bath salts instead. Construct Lovecraftian "Green Grocers" from actual grocers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the hell lego. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJgLn4Tr6do

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I do like the Private Jet/Limo kit, though.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Looks like that video is a competition winner.

https://tongal.com/project/LEGOStop-MotionMusicVideoParodyProject/

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
I ordered a green grocer from aliexpress. I feel dirty.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Filthy filthy consumers!

And panicking speculators wonder why Lego would re-release (but it's new, we swear!) the Death Star.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Bogo40% off on Minecraft, Speed Champions and Jurassic World at TRU.

Edit: just got the 2 Porsche sets that each have 2 race cars in em and some background scene stuff...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 29, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It came!

Lego purists cover your eyes!

Non-descript box all the way from hong kong. That yellow isn't the color of the box, it's tape lol. Also this is by far the fastest I've ever had anything shipped after buying it on Aliexpress, I've waited 30-45 days for stuff before. I ordered this on the 23rd and it arrived in 4 business days!

I opted for the no box version because I throw away the boxes anyways.

Oh god, I read about this. The bags aren't numbered at all.

This, this is going to take a while to sort.

Instructions look good.

And that's all I have for now. I'm going to start the build tomorrow. I did pull a few pieces out of the bag and I must say, the connection between the bricks feels just like Lego, the construction of the bricks themselves feel just like Lego, and all the colors look just like Lego. The only real difference is there's no Lego type on the top of each stud. I'll get more in depth with the review in the coming days as I start to build it but, I will be ordering the rest of the modulars to finish out my set and may even order the Porsche and VW Bug.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does the plastic stink? I bought some knock off sunglasses from there and I had leave them outside for a couple of days it was so bad.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Those injection mold divots though :(

Use genuine LEGO bricks on visible studs for maximum Ferrari badge on Chevy Cavalier.

Honestly looks better than I expected. Can't wait for the full trip report.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I ordered the Lepin Super Star Destroyer. 7-16 business days shipped to Canada. For $100 I can take a chance. I'm not looking forward to sorting 3000+ pcs. Don't care if the minifigs are poo poo.

If its good I will get the UCS Millenium Falcon. $2000-5000 used vs $200 new bootleg.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It's time to build my fake second city... Shelbyville.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Where minifigs are free to marry their attractive cousins.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am just getting into collecting sets. I really like the modulars and the 1 per year model. Am I right in assuming that the next one to go away will be the Pet Shop and I should get that one first?

E: Also, how much below retail can I expect to pay for these things? I imagine I will usually purchase from Ebay to avoid CA tax.

E2: answered my own question by ebaying. Looks like 20% below retail is a standard decent price. Lower is possible but seems to be a right place/right time sorta deal.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 30, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I am just getting into collecting sets. I really like the modulars and the 1 per year model. Am I right in assuming that the next one to go away will be the Pet Shop and I should get that one first?

E: Also, how much below retail can I expect to pay for these things? I imagine I will usually purchase from Ebay to avoid CA tax.

E2: answered my own question by ebaying. Looks like 20% below retail is a standard decent price. Lower is possible but seems to be a right place/right time sorta deal.

Lower might be possible on the newer sets, but anything that is retired is going to be above retail. Go check prices on the Green Grocer lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mattfl posted:

Lower might be possible on the newer sets, but anything that is retired is going to be above retail. Go check prices on the Green Grocer lol

Yeah, I've seen the retired stuff is $$$ which is why I was asking which is most likely to be retired first. I don't see myself ever going back and buying the $$$ stuff, but every 3 or 4 months I am pretty sure I could justify one of the $100+ sets.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, I've seen the retired stuff is $$$ which is why I was asking which is most likely to be retired first. I don't see myself ever going back and buying the $$$ stuff, but every 3 or 4 months I am pretty sure I could justify one of the $100+ sets.

You should go back a few pages and read about our adventures with the chinese knock off Lego, Lepin. I'm 1/3rd of the way through the Green Grocer build and I can say with certainty that if you put Lepin next to Lego you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'd say its a good 95% the same, the differences are the mini figs and the lack of Lego on the top of the studs. Waiting for my pictures to sync and then I'll post some.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mattfl posted:

You should go back a few pages and read about our adventures with the chinese knock off Lego, Lepin. I'm 1/3rd of the way through the Green Grocer build and I can say with certainty that if you put Lepin next to Lego you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I'd say its a good 95% the same, the differences are the mini figs and the lack of Lego on the top of the studs. Waiting for my pictures to sync and then I'll post some.

You're really tempting me with these posts. I have 7 of the modulars. I need the Green Grocer, the Café Corner, and the Fire Brigade. The Fire Brigade isn't bad, but I really don't want to go broke trying to snag the other two. These Lepin knockoffs might be good enough.

Okay, technically I also need Market Street, but that thing is ugly and I intend to skip it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The bricktober modulars are where it's at. :colbert:

Scratches that city building itch, fits into your hand.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks for being the guinea pig mattfl, was going to wait for more pics but the "95% the same" has convinced me to go ahead and buy a Green Grocer and see for myself if I want to backfill the other modulars I'm missing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ok here's some pic of my build in progress. Took about 2 hours to build the first level.

So first of all, there are no numbered bags with the Lepin stuff. They try and keep like pieces together, but just to build the first level I had to open every single bag for a piece or two. Pain in the rear end lemme tell you. Also the base was tan and not green like in the instructions/original build.

This is what I was left with after the first floor, I need to come up with a better sorting system then just hoping I remember where I saw a piece and looking through each bag. After a while you kinda start to see what they were going with in sorting them but it's still a hunt for smaller pieces.

The minifigs are where Lego must have their poo poo locked down because these are the only things that aren't identical to real Lego. You assemble the hands into the arms and the arms into the torso. The faces are all pretty generic. The insides of the torso are also more hollow than a real one.

Some in progress pics

Overall, jesus guys, if you're not trying to resell these and want to finish your modular city, or just have a few on display, no one is going to know these aren't real Lego. Besides the somewhat wonky mini figs, which once put together aren't that bad and the lack of Lego on the top stud these are 100% identical to real Lego. Colors are dead on, connectivity between bricks is what you'd expect between Lego bricks, the instructions are the same as the real Lego instructions. I don't know exactly how they did it, but this is as close to real Lego as it can be. As soon as I'm done with this one I'll be ordering more Lepin modulars to finish off my collection and will not feel bad about it at all.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 30, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Where's the best source for these? I might want to get some of the UCS Starwars stuff for permanent display.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Where's the best source for these? I might want to get some of the UCS Starwars stuff for permanent display.

Just search aliexpress.com for Lepin

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd be very curious about that Lepin Porsche. No figures, just pieces and a few stickers. If that is dead on, I'd get it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd be very curious about that Lepin Porsche. No figures, just pieces and a few stickers. If that is dead on, I'd get it.

It's on my list to be ordered. There's no reason it wouldn't be dead on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
They've gotta be cutting some corners somewhere, there's no way Lego's triple the price is accounted for in design and customer support or whatever. Maybe the colors will fade faster or it'll go a bit brittle after a few months?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Koramei posted:

They've gotta be cutting some corners somewhere, there's no way Lego's triple the price is accounted for in design and customer support or whatever. Maybe the colors will fade faster or it'll go a bit brittle after a few months?

This is why I haven't bought any of them yet. I'd bet good money that something will go wrong with these in the next 6 months. Fatigue cracks, discoloration, something.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Koramei posted:

I'm totally talking out of my rear end here so I haven't got any numbers for you, but Lego has to cover: designers, marketing, QA, new moulds, business in multiple countries, materials.
Lepin has to cover: materials

So yeah I can imagine how it's possible Lego's official stuff ends up way more expensive - plus you're paying the premium for a branded product.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I'm totally talking out of my rear end here so I haven't got any numbers for you, but Lego has to cover: designers, marketing, QA, new moulds, business in multiple countries, materials.
Lepin has to cover: materials

So yeah I can imagine how it's possible Lego's official stuff ends up way more expensive - plus you're paying the premium for a branded product.

Welcome to the beauty of business with Chinese characteristics.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

jeff8472 posted:

I ordered the Lepin Super Star Destroyer. 7-16 business days shipped to Canada. For $100 I can take a chance. I'm not looking forward to sorting 3000+ pcs. Don't care if the minifigs are poo poo.

If its good I will get the UCS Millenium Falcon. $2000-5000 used vs $200 new bootleg.

Yeah - I'm thinking the same. Plus, I have my eye on their SHIELD Helicarrier that's about $75, a LEGO Movie Sea Cow for ~$80 and apparently Decool (another Chinese bootleg LEGO company) makes a solid Batman Tumbler for $80.

I feel like a junkie that has resigned themselves to a cut product, but I gotta chase that high.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koramei posted:

I say keep an eye on the cheese wedges. Lego has had issues keeping them from cracking, be curious to see how the knockoffs do.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What if Lepin is really an undercover-op by Lego to get a cut of the Chinese market, since they know there will be a knockoff sooner or later anyway... so they make it themselves...
:tinfoil:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

quote:

Colors are dead on, connectivity between bricks is what you'd expect between Lego bricks, the instructions are the same as the real Lego instructions.

Time to liquidate your stock, Lego speculators! RUN FOR THE HILLS!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real problem with the aftermarket will be the market for bulk lots. Being poisoned with megabloks is already a big deal, what happens when thousands of Lepin bricks get dumped into the mix?

They're clearly not legitimate bricks, the injection holes are super obvious and a closer look reveals there's no lego logo. No one is going to pay the standard $5/pound once they identify knockoffs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As an alternative to knock-offs, has anyone ever built one of the OOP sets by getting all the pieces separately?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

As an alternative to knock-offs, has anyone ever built one of the OOP sets by getting all the pieces separately?

I think it depends on the set and how many rare pieces/colors it has. Green Grocer is notoriously expensive to bricklink because the sand green is really rare.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the upside, the green grocer looks really good in other colors.

http://thebrickblogger.com/2015/12/lego-modular-buildings-alternate-colors/

I rather like the red version.

But even if you pick a cheaper color, it's expensive. Rock bottom price per brick is 5 cents, and it goes up from there. The average for most bricks is probably closer to 20 cents and obviously less common stuff will be even higher.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

It's looking like the Death Star re-release may run $500. You can actually get the original, NIB, for less than that on Bricklink. Average new sale price over the last six months is just $523, which is less than I'd pay after tax.

Also, Mixels will apparently be ending after S9 hits in October.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

My wife once bought all the pieces we didn't have so she could build the Model Team Black Cat.

It drat near cost us as much as just buying the thing outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
On the subject of swapping out colors, I made tweaked set# 30300-1 to make a camo tumbler. A couple of the pieces I wish I had in the other color, but overall I am happy.

Also, I promised myself I wouldn't get into Star Wars Sets because I knew they would bankrupt me. And then I figured polybags were ok because they are a couple of bucks. And now I am looking at the Lepin Midiscale Millennium Falcon... It's the minifigures that I have to avoid getting hooked on... Right?

Right!?