Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EvilJoven posted:

My wife once bought all the pieces we didn't have so she could build the Model Team Black Cat.

It drat near cost us as much as just buying the thing outright.

I was looking at Cafe Corner and after over an hour of price checking...It looks like $400 + to get almost all the parts. Not including shipping. I still had a bunch to go, too.

Seems that buying the Lepin version and then filling in with official stuff for the parts that don't look right would be the way to go.

E: looking through older sets online, I realize I had the Space Cruiser/Galaxy Explorer set when I was young. I really loved that thing. I also vaguely remember some Police Station set. That one I didn't love nearly as much.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I'm not sure what the likes of Lepin will do to the Lego resale market, but I do think it will at least spur many more official Lego remakes of sets that people obviously want. People currently shell out either $500 to Not Lego or $100 to Also Not Lego, and I don't think they like that very much.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Downsizing this set to a modular-ized footprint to reclaim some shelf space: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Mystery-Mansion-75904

The evil greenhouse was too good to lose though.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Watching this thread freak out about discovering Lepin reminds me of when the Warhams thread discovered Chinese recasters online. I don't mind paying the premium for official, but gently caress paying resellers twice retail for a set I was six months too late on.

At least Lego isn't as horrible a company as Games Workshop. Those dudes deserve recasters.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I'm keenly interested in a trip report regarding the Super Star Destroyer.
I'm willing to pay MSRP for an official one, but gently caress paying crazy amounts of markup for used sets.

I already have plenty of official Lego to offset my guilt. The SSD is kind of a white whale for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And I thought my white whale was bad. I keep wanting to replace the tv antennas to compete my classic space sets.. which will run 35-50 dollars on bricklink. Bad but not hundreds of dollars bad.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pyroclastic posted:

Also, Mixels will apparently be ending after S9 hits in October.

Noooo :( I loved those little guys

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mixels were fantastic for little versatile parts, but also they were clearly running out of theme ideas.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

Mixels were fantastic for little versatile parts, but also they were clearly running out of theme ideas.

I was really hoping they'd do more revisits :( They did a second set of fire guys and maybe one or two other ones, it would have been great to get a rerun of some of the more interesting themes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully 2017 brings up some new property that uses the same part selection but does something new.

Maybe I'm a broken record here because all I loving talk about is classic space, but how about classic space themed battle robots. :v:

Or they could fold it into the nexo knights who also have a killer color scheme.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, it's a shame but it's probably good for them to go out on a high note rather than go all stale first. I'm still looking forward to series 9, I really like those designs. Maybe they can think up some more ideas and bring the theme back in the future. I hope so anyway.

also they should rerelease the earlier ones that I missed

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

deoju posted:

On the subject of swapping out colors, I made tweaked set# 30300-1 to make a camo tumbler. A couple of the pieces I wish I had in the other color, but overall I am happy.

Also, I promised myself I wouldn't get into Star Wars Sets because I knew they would bankrupt me. And then I figured polybags were ok because they are a couple of bucks. And now I am looking at the Lepin Midiscale Millennium Falcon... It's the minifigures that I have to avoid getting hooked on... Right?

Right!?

This is awesome. I have a dream of one day bricklinking the parts to do a full UCS camo Tumbler.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So, I've been trying to prototype a leaning tricycle I'm intending to build in real life, and I was planning to use Lego Technic, because I used to have a blast working with those decades ago in school where they had a big bin of them.

I read about Brickhub but I still wasn't sure where to start to get a big "variety pack" of Technic pieces. The pre-built Technic kits look like they have a lot of stuff, but it seems like a super expensive way to get a big enough library or parts.

Anyhoo, today I stumble on someone who's making exactly the type of thing I've been prototyping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_6eYtVAqgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8f8qsDyiw

They post these amazing videos and just say "lol I made these for fun, sorry, no parts list!"

Does anyone here have any sort of insight as to what the gently caress sets and/or supplementary pieces were used to build those?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see anything particularly exotic in those builds.. the only parts I'm not completely sure where they came from is the bits being used for a CV joint.

Your best option for building up a collection is to browse bricklink for a few standard parts, like the pins, and find stores selling them extremely cheap. Then while at that store browse whatever other technic pieces they have and buy anything else they have that's cheap that looks useful (cheap in this situation is 10 cents or lower). Spend $100 that way and you should get a pretty decent selection of technic stuff real quick.

The only pieces that will be more expensive will be the shocks and motors. Plus the mindstorm stuff being used to remotely control it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

I don't see anything particularly exotic in those builds.. the only parts I'm not completely sure where they came from is the bits being used for a CV joint.

Your best option for building up a collection is to browse bricklink for a few standard parts, like the pins, and find stores selling them extremely cheap. Then while at that store browse whatever other technic pieces they have and buy anything else they have that's cheap that looks useful (cheap in this situation is 10 cents or lower). Spend $100 that way and you should get a pretty decent selection of technic stuff real quick.

The only pieces that will be more expensive will be the shocks and motors. Plus the mindstorm stuff being used to remotely control it.

Thank you, sounds like a plan. I think I remember the Lego Technic truck drive shaft having a universal joint... maybe he's just using those as CV joints?

Also, is there any way to tell at a glance if these eBay lot piles are a decent deal?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201591437423

I can tell with a pile of Magic the Gathering cards if an eBay lot is worth it but I'm way out of the loop on the Lego economy.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 1, 2016

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Does anyone know about the long-term stability of Lepin blocks?
I always understood Lego was fairly expensive due to the long cool down cycle in the injection moulding to ensure the parts keep the same dimensions over decades.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Thank you, sounds like a plan. I think I remember the Lego Technic truck drive shaft having a universal joint... maybe he's just using those as CV joints?

Also, is there any way to tell at a glance if these eBay lot piles are a decent deal?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201591437423

I can tell with a pile of Magic the Gathering cards if an eBay lot is worth it but I'm way out of the loop on the Lego economy.

Lots can be a good deal, but anyone selling them knows the game. The pictures in that auction in no way indicate what you'll get, you're paying $12 for half a pound scooped out of his bucket.

Not sure what the going rate is these days but I personally wouldn't pay more than $10 per pound.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep seeing people talk about "hard builds."

What makes a build hard? I can only think of one answer: inability to follow directions. Is there another? Having a hard time finding the right pieces? That doesn't seem hard so much as longer.

ether
May 20, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

I read about Brickhub but I still wasn't sure where to start to get a big "variety pack" of Technic pieces. The pre-built Technic kits look like they have a lot of stuff, but it seems like a super expensive way to get a big enough library or parts.
Building up a library through bricklink is way more expensive then buying a few sets if you're not entirely sure what you want to build and just try things I think. Bricklinking the model from the video will easily set you back 300 euro's for a model of 800~ish parts (this is partly due to the old rc motors and the wheels but still)

I never bought in bulk though so that might be a world of diffirence, never ever see bulk sales of technic in the Netherlands at all.
Do note that the ebay listing you linked has mixed studless beams and studded beams, which is a pain in the neck to combine. It also contains quite a few bionicle balljoint parts which have a very narrow use. I personally wouldn't even buy it for $6 per pound.

Starting a new collection from pre-built sets doesn't have to be (really) expensive though, if you pick the right startingpoint, depending on what you enjoy making there are some great sets to get started
- 42055 : great value per part, really great cross section of beams, brackets, pins, an XL motor, gearbox parts, tankthreads. Downside: not that many panels, and no wheels, suspension or steeringparts.
- 42030 : great start if you want to make rc things. 2 remotes, motors and a servo. Downside: no suspension or rack and pinion steering.
- 42039 : great start to make vehicles, suspensions, steering, tons of panelling.

That said, I think I surpassed the 30000 technic parts marker with the bucket wheel excevator, HELP ME =)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

What makes a build hard? I can only think of one answer: inability to follow directions. Is there another? Having a hard time finding the right pieces? That doesn't seem hard so much as longer.

To me it's more about the structural integrity of the build in process. When I think of "hard builds" I think of fiddly builds that don't have enough internal support--it gets tricky to snap pieces on without pulling or exploding parts of the existing build.

It's something else that Lego has improved on over time, though. It's been a long time since I've really had to worry about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only builds that are hard are ones with light grey and dark grey bricks because I am incapable of distinguishing which is which in instruction manuals.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Other hard builds could be those that are simply a little too big to be all that enjoyable.

E.g. the UCS Millennium Falcon, or that new Technic excavator monster. I really like my UCS Mil Falcon on the wall but i honestly did not enjoy building it. It was hard to build in the sense that it was hard to stay focused on building it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen a lot of posts bitching about the ferris wheel and big ben too. Not hard though.. just tedius.

The 2008 beetle was like that too, the build was endless 2x2 elbows.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

Only builds that are hard are ones with light grey and dark grey bricks because I am incapable of distinguishing which is which in instruction manuals.

I can do light and dark no problem. The problem for me is how black is represented in the manuals. It looks like dark gray lots of times and not enough like black.

Edit: re: Technic guy: I see Technic sets on sale or clearance a lot at places like Target. More so than sales on Lego. So maybe see if you can find some sales.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 1, 2016

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

For my kid, what makes a harder build is some of the spatial relations in the instructions. I've been around Lego for like 40 years so I can tell when things are behind things or need to be mirrored or even solid building principles. For an 8 yr old, some of that might not be obvious and can get frustrating. I know sometimes the isometric view in the instructions can be misleading- things line up in the picture but are staggered really

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Someone here mentioned Lepin a few posts ago which I'd never heard of before, and they have clones of a few Technic sets on Aliexpress for about 75% less than a real Lego version. Reviews say they're pretty close except for a few details like flimsier rubber bands and things.

I dunno, I'm not buying these as a collector, only to prototype things. Would that make sense morally/economically? Hell, I built a carbon fiber bike from counterfeit branded Chinese parts but I've been riding it for three years and the quality is there...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Someone here mentioned Lepin a few posts ago which I'd never heard of before, and they have clones of a few Technic sets on Aliexpress for about 75% less than a real Lego version. Reviews say they're pretty close except for a few details like flimsier rubber bands and things.

I dunno, I'm not buying these as a collector, only to prototype things. Would that make sense morally/economically? Hell, I built a carbon fiber bike from counterfeit branded Chinese parts but I've been riding it for three years and the quality is there...

We've been talking about it the past 3 pages and I've posted pictures of the Lepin I've bought.

No one cares, buy whatever you want.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I bought a Lepin thing it'd be to build it and then seal it in some kind of coating to prevent it from being disassembled, then display it. Most likely the SSD or UCSMF.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If I bought a Lepin thing it would be exclusively to dump straight into the tub of real PURE legos and then pour the whole tub out together onto the bed and roll around in the glorious mixture.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I mean for me it's mostly about budget, but if I spend a grand on 3 lego sets, I'd be afraid to build MOCs from the sets because I don't have a year to figure out how to turn them back into complete sets if I ever want to resell them.

The Lepin stuff has no resale value anyway and is less of an investment so I can just treat it as a legit good Technic lot deal.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

If I bought a Lepin thing it'd be to build it and then seal it in some kind of coating to prevent it from being disassembled, then display it. Most likely the SSD or UCSMF.

This. Probably would superglue the UCSMF together and wallmount it.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I'd buy a few of these for shocks/wheels for your trike:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dec...2676761045.html

You'll probably need a race car or something like this for suspension / draftshaft / differentials
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dec...07-e37f729a315d

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Lego scalping normal? The Disney Castle sold out online within a couple hours. Prices on Ebay are $100 over MSRP.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, it's SOP for low production/high value sets. Everything sells out instantly online.

Usually there's a second run in a few months and you can buy without stress.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

Yes, it's SOP for low production/high value sets. Everything sells out instantly online.

Usually there's a second run in a few months and you can buy without stress.

Orrrrrrrrrrr

http://tinyurl.com/hgbvqas

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

How already?!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Electromax posted:

If I bought a Lepin thing it would be exclusively to dump straight into the tub of real PURE legos and then pour the whole tub out together onto the bed and roll around in the glorious mixture.
And then sell it as a lot without disclosing the lepin!!!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just made a trip to the Lego store. At least they have decent stock of the castle.

Also, October is 2x VIP points all month.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Ooh, good to know. Might be time to chase that dragon again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
October's a bit of a bumper month generally.

September 30: The LEGO Star Wars Death Star (75159) will be available for purchase for the general public.

October 1: The LEGO Creator Winter Holiday Train (10254) will be available for purchase for the general public.

October 1-25: FREE Exclusive Holiday Countdown Calendar (40222) with purchases of $99 or more, while supplies last. Build and rebuild 24 new sets as you count down to the holidays.

October 1-31: Double VIP Points are back for the month.

October 4-5: LEGO VIP Monthly Mini Model build is a Werewolf (40217).

October 14 & 28: Family Game Night at LEGO Brand Stores.

October 15: LEGO Friends exclusive VIP building event at LEGO Brand Stores.