Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm chewing on the edges of Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon" and i can't get going on it yet, so I want something fun and brain candy-ish to read in betwixt.

I love sci-fi and hard as poo poo sci-fi, Greg Egan is probably my favorite author right now.

Big time faves/what I'm looking for:
Blindsight
Permutation City
Schild's Ladder
Quantum Thief trilogy
Takeshi Kovacs
Anathem
Diaspora

I also really liked The City & The City by China Mieville after not being able to get into it at first, so I'd be down with something more along those lines too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Embassytown by Miéville? It's a different kind of sci-fi, but definitely counts as brain candy.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm after something with a Murakami like whimsy that's easy to read. I'm just about to wrap up Blood Meridian and before that Temple of the Golden Pavilion and need a bit of a decompress.

While I would read another Murakami this year I feel like I should broaden out into some other writers before returning to that well again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

I'm after something with a Murakami like whimsy that's easy to read. I'm just about to wrap up Blood Meridian and before that Temple of the Golden Pavilion and need a bit of a decompress.

While I would read another Murakami this year I feel like I should broaden out into some other writers before returning to that well again.

An Etgar Keret short story collection.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm chewing on the edges of Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon" and i can't get going on it yet, so I want something fun and brain candy-ish to read in betwixt.

I love sci-fi and hard as poo poo sci-fi, Greg Egan is probably my favorite author right now.

Big time faves/what I'm looking for:
Blindsight
Permutation City
Schild's Ladder
Quantum Thief trilogy
Takeshi Kovacs
Anathem
Diaspora

I also really liked The City & The City by China Mieville after not being able to get into it at first, so I'd be down with something more along those lines too.

You should check out Echopraxia if you liked Blindsight. It's by the same author and often labeled as a sequel to Blindsight but it's really more of a separate story that takes place in the same universe.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Megabound posted:

I know a lot of people didn't love it, but I'm a huge Cloud Atlas fan. It's whimsical and wild, but not terribly easy to read. Each "era" can take minute to acclimate.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Where's the best place to start with Hemingway?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Old Man and the Sea I think, warming up to read The Sun Also Rises.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Picayune posted:

Where's the best place to start with Hemingway?

The Complete Short Stories.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I've gotten burned out on series and fantasy after fantasy. Whats a nice quick non-fiction to read to get me back into it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Cerepol posted:

I've gotten burned out on series and fantasy after fantasy. Whats a nice quick non-fiction to read to get me back into it.

Of Dice and Men.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
For this next month, I'm planning to read a bunch of books on China. I have my non-fiction sorted out, but need some recommendations for fiction. More specifically: please no Four Great Novels since I'll have a few long dense books to get through already. Historical or modern is fine though I would avoid spec fic; novel, short story collection, or graphic novel is fine; and the ideal book would use China's culture, food, geography and/or history. Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thatdarnedbob posted:

For this next month, I'm planning to read a bunch of books on China. I have my non-fiction sorted out, but need some recommendations for fiction. More specifically: please no Four Great Novels since I'll have a few long dense books to get through already. Historical or modern is fine though I would avoid spec fic; novel, short story collection, or graphic novel is fine; and the ideal book would use China's culture, food, geography and/or history. Thanks!

Everyone is going to say Bridge of Birds, so just go ahead and add that to your list.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Franchescanado posted:

Everyone is going to say Bridge of Birds, so just go ahead and add that to your list.

I'm sure it's a great book, but I am rather skeptical that it's for me right now. The thing I most wanted to avoid was a fantasy book, written by an outsider to China, which uses facsimiles of Chinese culture/ideas/myths instead of the authentic. Right now Bridge of Birds looks a lot like that; could you elaborate on how it's not?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

thatdarnedbob posted:

I'm sure it's a great book, but I am rather skeptical that it's for me right now. The thing I most wanted to avoid was a fantasy book, written by an outsider to China, which uses facsimiles of Chinese culture/ideas/myths instead of the authentic. Right now Bridge of Birds looks a lot like that; could you elaborate on how it's not?

No, you pretty much have it. It does incorporate culture and myths in a fun way, but it's ultimately a fun adventure novel with strong characters and memorable moments.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Cerepol posted:

non-fiction on what man, you want like particle physics or north korea or

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Anything interested that wouldn't be too hard to digest I guess. I don't really have a specific topic in mind.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Anything interested that wouldn't be too hard to digest I guess. I don't really have a specific topic in mind.

Maybe one of a dozen or so books with the name Gies on the front cover? Frances and Joseph Gies were a couple of medieval history researchers (and married, too) who wrote very vivid and detailed books about medieval life. The books also tend to be quite short and interesting, especially the Life in... series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_and_Joseph_Gies

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cerepol posted:

"Stuff by Bill Bryson" he said nervously, inexplicably worried it's TBB taboo for some reason

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The Old Man and the Sea I think, warming up to read The Sun Also Rises.

For sale: Baby shoes, never worn

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

"Stuff by Bill Bryson" he said nervously, inexplicably worried it's TBB taboo for some reason

Never Bill Bryson.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cerepol posted:

Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe? It's a fun read.

By the way, does anyone have a recommendation for a book for a 15-year-old boy who already plays D&D and enjoys comics? I'm already getting him Bridge of Birds and the first Elric compilation, which will probably piss off his parents but hey, when you're 15, you like stuff that pisses off your parents. I'd like something non-fantasy-ish for balance.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

thatdarnedbob posted:

Almost any of Mo Yan's books would work, maybe The Republic of Wine? Lu Xun's short stories are good for seeing where the modern Chinese literature comes from, The Story of Ah Q is especially good. I also liked Chun-Chan Yeh's The Mountain Village, which is a really well written story about pre-revolutionary China and the coming of Mao as seen thru the eyes of a boy living in a small mountain village, but this novel might be difficult to find. If you're looking for something more experimental and modern, there's a very good buzz on Can Xue, but I haven't read any of her novels yet, so can't say much...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Flaggy posted:

Never Bill Bryson.

Why?

No, genuinely curious here: I own his Short History of Nearly Everything and found it to be entertaining.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Anybody know any books out there about cities built to act as capitals, like Canberra, Brasilia and so on?

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Burning Rain posted:

Almost any of Mo Yan's books would work, maybe The Republic of Wine? Lu Xun's short stories are good for seeing where the modern Chinese literature comes from, The Story of Ah Q is especially good. I also liked Chun-Chan Yeh's The Mountain Village, which is a really well written story about pre-revolutionary China and the coming of Mao as seen thru the eyes of a boy living in a small mountain village, but this novel might be difficult to find. If you're looking for something more experimental and modern, there's a very good buzz on Can Xue, but I haven't read any of her novels yet, so can't say much...

Thanks! I put Mo Yan's Sandalwood Death and Can Xue's Vertical Motion on hold at my library. Most of the Mo Yan and all the Lu Xun they have is in Chinese so I'll have to wait until my self-imposed book buying ban wears off to look at them more. Earlier I grabbed Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth by Xiaolu Guo and Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian; if you have any thoughts on those I'd love to hear them.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

cloudchamber posted:

Anybody know any books out there about cities built to act as capitals, like Canberra, Brasilia and so on?

John Brunner's Squares of the City?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Borneo Jimmy posted:

John Brunner's Squares of the City?

That looks interesting, but I'm looking for non-fiction books about the phenomenon.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

An Etgar Keret short story collection.

I picked up "Suddenly a Knock on the Door" and it's exactly what I need. Thanks!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Cerepol posted:

Ever read any Mary Roach? I like the first three Sarah Vowell books, as well, but haven't cared for anything of hers after that. She's snarky, too, which annoys some people.

ulvir posted:

For sale: Baby shoes, never worn

Oh, cut it out.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

thatdarnedbob posted:

Okay so this doesn't really fit in your request, but if you're just getting into the subject and want a light, empathetic "dummy goes East," River Town is actually quite good.

Then Hessler got popular, thought he was a historian and wrote Oracle Bones, which I thought was a bit contrived. This Amazon review hits the nail on the head.

The Mantis fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 2, 2016

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

thatdarnedbob posted:

Any thing by Mo Yan, Five Spice Street by Can Xue

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How dry do you want to get actually. Some of the stuff I can recommend falls more into the village prose, romance, the living with through the revolution side of things and not so much adventure.

fantasy zone fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 2, 2016

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

thatdarnedbob posted:

Thanks! I put Mo Yan's Sandalwood Death and Can Xue's Vertical Motion on hold at my library. Most of the Mo Yan and all the Lu Xun they have is in Chinese so I'll have to wait until my self-imposed book buying ban wears off to look at them more. Earlier I grabbed Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth by Xiaolu Guo and Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian; if you have any thoughts on those I'd love to hear them.

Haven't read either, sorry, although I was at an event where Xiaolu Guo was talking about I Am China, and she seemed very interesting and didn't leave an impression of somebody just knocking out commercial 'exotic' lit fic, which is the kinda impression I had gotten for some reason. And my friend who was a Chinese lit teacher in Hong Kong hated Gao Xingjian with passion, insisting he got his Nobel because of political reasons, and the description of Soul Mountain always seemed super boring to me, so I've always passed it by. but hey, we might be unfair, I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it!

and, fantasy zone, post all the Chinese village lit you got, I'm interested.

and i really enjoyed Peter Hessler's Country Driving, so if anybody's looking for non fic on China, i recommend him and Ma Jian.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Cerepol posted:

Moneyball. Even if you neither know nor care a whit about baseball it is a fantastic read.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Need some audiobook for travelling and I want to do some Cormac McCarthy that I haven't read before. Child of God, Orchard Keeper or Outer Dark?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why?

No, genuinely curious here: I own his Short History of Nearly Everything and found it to be entertaining.

I read Short History and loved it, then I read Brysons The Lost Continent and it was one of the single worst books I've ever read

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

I read Short History and loved it, then I read Brysons The Lost Continent and it was one of the single worst books I've ever read

Short History and A Walk In The Woods are both good.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Need some audiobook for travelling and I want to do some Cormac McCarthy that I haven't read before. Child of God, Orchard Keeper or Outer Dark?

Child of God. Child of Gooooooooooddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

End Of Worlds posted:

Child of God. Child of Gooooooooooddd

Read em all obviously, but I agree that this was my favorite of these three.

edit

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Has anyone read a great nonfiction account of MK Ultra? I want it to be fun in the same vein as Command and Control was about the history of nuclear weapons/power.

I asked this a couple months ago and I thought I'd try one more time. Thanks.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 2, 2016