Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I was of the opinion that a 1070 is finally so far up the curve for 1080p60hz that it really could be considered actual, real overkill (kind of like 1600x900, for example). But Dues Ex came out and im not sure whats going on with that tbh, that is a uncharacteristically dramatic increase in gpu resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Right now it means Deus Ex is badly optimized. It is a graphic hog but it doesn't look any better than other games than run better.

I can make a game that runs like poo poo on a TitanX, that isn't hard.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It means ultra or bust is a loving sickness.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Was moments away from buying the ASUS GTX 1060 6GB for $270 on Amazon when it suddenly jumped $50 in price :emo:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Crysis still brings current cards to their knees, so

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Paiz posted:

Similar to the newegg promotion from a month or so ago, jet.com has the R9 Fury for $275 with store code SHOP10. I ordered 2 for $540, and I feel like I must shout it from the rooftops!

https://jet.com/product/SAPPHIRE-NITRO-Radeon-R9-Fury-100379NTOCSR-4GB-4096-Bit-HBM-TRI-X-OC-UEFI-Video-/b0659152e7304698acf69fe9a120f808

I ended up getting a used Fury X for that price. It's not a bad deal if you want adaptive sync and don't already have a gsync monitor.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-07/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-oc-test/4/

Maybe that website got a lemon, but it's somehow louder than the ref 480.

Other reviews I've read have it as quieter than the reference card, but I don't remember if that's in boost mode or not -- looks like that site tested both and it was quieter in non-boost mode and louder in boost mode. They're all quite consistent in saying that it has a lower, more "rumble" and less "whine" noise that's easier to ignore than the stock cooler even when it is louder, though.

One thing I've seen mentioned in a few places is issues with the fans spinning up to maximum (which, AIUI, they shouldn't do even in boost mode) due to a known bad interaction between Sapphire's custom fan profile and AMD's drivers; apparently a fix for this will be released soon. No idea if or how much the reviews were affected by this, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Who the hell are these uninformed buyers on the buy side of used GPU sales? An Ethereum miner friend has found out that instead of returning 470s/480s that aren't up to his overclocking or custom BIOS flashing standards, he can consistently sell them to suckers for what he paid new, or more.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ynglaur posted:

Just curious, why does anyone care about getting more than 60fps if they only use a 60Hz monitor?

"60fps" means that over some period of time, such as a second, the average frame time is 16ms. If any of those frames take longer, you will get stutter of some kind, especially with vsync (sans g/free). You want to get the percentage of frames > 16ms as low as possible, so unless the frames are perfectly uniform (never), you may want 75fps (13ms average frame time) or higher as "buffer".

xthetenth posted:

I'm gonna need more cowbell.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Crysis still brings current cards to their knees, so

Well, a 960 can deal with it and that's a (recently) superseded model. A 970 can handle it fully maxed, 60+ FPS. The 10x0 cards should be able to basically shrug it off.

Even so, the whole 'can it run Crysis?' thing was such a joke. I played through 1, Warhead & 2 on a GTX460 fairly recently. Used fairly high settings and it was perfectly reasonable. The game scales down pretty well. Ultra is just a very, very tall order.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Crysis runs like poo because it was designed for dual cores only. There's more to it but I don't remember more atm.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 2, 2016

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

QuarkJets posted:

Was moments away from buying the ASUS GTX 1060 6GB for $270 on Amazon when it suddenly jumped $50 in price :emo:

Check the seller - instant price increases sometimes happen to me because Amazon will go out of stock and the system will switch to the next "cheapest" seller which is often some third party seller who has a much higher price than Amazon itself. Usually if it's not urgent I can just switch it back to Amazon where it'll be temporarily out of order.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Zero VGS posted:

I was playing Pathways Into Darkness when people thought Wolfenstein 3D was cutting edge :cool:

:hfive: early Bungie buddy. A former Bungie employee who worked on Marathon 2 developed Enemy Starfighter House of the Dying Sun, a cool quick-pickup space shooter. He's even a goon!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
mein leben

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

Who the hell are these uninformed buyers on the buy side of used GPU sales? An Ethereum miner friend has found out that instead of returning 470s/480s that aren't up to his overclocking or custom BIOS flashing standards, he can consistently sell them to suckers for what he paid new, or more.

I bet it's another, slightly dumber, ethereum miner.

brain-damaged bitcoiners all the way down

xthetenth posted:

hey man DXTC is just so awful, it's like my eyes are being assaulted with knives! if I can't play on ultra with 100% uncompressed textures I might as well not play at all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SinineSiil posted:

Crysis runs like poo because it was designed for dual cores only. There's more to it but I don't remember more atm.

Behold, the infamous Crysis 2 concrete barrier:

TL;DR, incredibly wasteful tessellation.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

They also forgot to turn off the ocean.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xthetenth posted:

They also forgot to turn off the ocean.

and they left the skybox on flight simulator size

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yes.

Look at that water mesh. Well done. They should have had a function to scale back the amount of tessellation the farther away it gets from the camera, but it's servicable.

EXCEPT WAIT

WATER TESSELLATION MESH ALL THE TIME, NO CULLING, NO EXCEPTIONS

TL;DR Crytek are poo poo and I'm not really surprised they nearly went bankrupt and shed people to Star Citizen.

I am also not optimistic on Star Citizen.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 2, 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ocean wasn't that bad actually. Turning it on and off didn't change fps at all if it wasn't visible in the first place. Culling was just buggered with wireframe mode.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The original crysis did not have tessellation.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

The original crysis did not have tessellation.
My dual-core comment was about first Crysis. People after me are talking about Crysis 2.

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
Crysis locks itself to 50 fps on my r290, no matter the resolution or graphics settings, really annoying.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SinineSiil posted:

My dual-core comment was about first Crysis. People after me are talking about Crysis 2.

The Crysis mentioned originally is Crysis, not Crysis 2. I am aware you were also talking about Crysis. People seemed confused and assumed we were discussing Crysis 2, bringing up tessellation, which did not exist in Crysis.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PerrineClostermann posted:

The Crysis mentioned originally is Crysis, not Crysis 2. I am aware you were also talking about Crysis. People seemed confused and assumed we were discussing Crysis 2, bringing up tessellation, which did not exist in Crysis.

Im not even sure i liked crysis. I think I bought it just to make sure my new build was any good

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool posted:

Im not even sure i liked crysis. I think I bought it just to make sure my new build was any good

It was a decent shooter, but that's pretty much the reason why anyone bought it. That and the MW mod.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Paiz posted:

Crysis locks itself to 50 fps on my r290, no matter the resolution or graphics settings, really annoying.

That sounds like a job for freesync.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It was a decent game on decent (ATI) hardware at the time.

There is no denying that Crysis 1 even is still pretty today.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Check the seller - instant price increases sometimes happen to me because Amazon will go out of stock and the system will switch to the next "cheapest" seller which is often some third party seller who has a much higher price than Amazon itself. Usually if it's not urgent I can just switch it back to Amazon where it'll be temporarily out of order.

Yeah pretty sure that's what happened, as there were only 2 left in stock once the price jumped up.

It's back down to a $280 price, which is $10 more than before but also the same as Newegg's price. You snooze you lose, I guess!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the RMA status of my gigabyte 980ti says, "No trouble found after tests with multiple configurations"
which is bullshit because i tested it on multiple PCs with all the outputs and it had the same issue of running for 30s then hard locking the system. Reinstalling the drivers did nothing and putting in a new 1070 worked just fine so i know its not my PC that is broken.

I assume they will send it back and then I will have to send it back again for the same problem they never fixed. How can i make them repair/replace it? Its already a dead/broken card so me breaking it in a way that doesnt void warranty is ok by me.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Fauxtool posted:

the RMA status of my gigabyte 980ti says, "No trouble found after tests with multiple configurations"
which is bullshit because i tested it on multiple PCs with all the outputs and it had the same issue of running for 30s then hard locking the system. Reinstalling the drivers did nothing and putting in a new 1070 worked just fine so i know its not my PC that is broken.

I assume they will send it back and then I will have to send it back again for the same problem they never fixed. How can i make them repair/replace it? Its already a dead/broken card so me breaking it in a way that doesnt void warranty is ok by me.

I may have, a very very long time ago, connected a dozen 9v batteries in series and then went to town on a cable box just running wires over the circuit board until it magically no longer turned on.

I don't feel to terribly bad about it today but hey, there's an idea for you.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EdEddnEddy posted:

It was a decent game on decent (ATI) hardware at the time.

There is no denying that Crysis 1 even is still pretty today.

Yeah, I don't think it was poorly-optimised so much as really ambitious, and if there's one thing PC gamers are salty over, it's not being able to ram every slider to max despite it being inappropriate for current hardware. It does still look good.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 3, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I don't think it was poorly-optimised so much as really ambitious, and if there's one thing PC gamers are salty over, it's not being able to RAM every slider to max despite it being inappropriate for current hardware. It does still look good.

Crysis 1 on med-high was already head and shoulders above any other game in it's heyday. You can't say the same for something like DX:MD even on ultra.

The #pcgamingmasterrace types don't seem to get the point that max settings means poo poo without taking release date, optimization and hardware requirements into account.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Crysis definitely scaled down very well. It ran playably on a 9400 GT, or at least playably by the standards of someone unfortunate enough to own a 9400 GT.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I bought an 8gb 480 awhile back open box for $199. I'm happy with it as a card for 1080p and an upgrade from a 7870. I won the lottery on being able to significantly undervolt it, so I'm able to game at 1080p with fairly cool temps and very low fan noise. I told my less tech savvy friends to hold out on 480/470s - I think most of what you read still has AMDs ingenious low-ball MSRP press buzz in mind. I'm not sure when the prices will start coming down. For my non technical gamer friends I'm still torn on what to recommend at the sub $200 price point. The RX-470 4gb seemed too good to be true price wise, and I'm not sure about the 1060 3gb.

This article about sums it up. Every 470 was announced at $169 or $179 - editors note, on newegg for $199.

I'm curious what prices will look like closer to Christmas/2017.

I like wattman. When I have time I am going to play around with a kill-o-watt and see if I can come up with appreciable power savings throttling the crap out of the video card in games where eyecandy doesn't matter.

Edit: The 7870 lasted 4 years for me. The only reason I upgraded was boredom/oppurtunity.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't think I can do it. I want a 1440p 144Hz IPS and I don't think I can pay the GSync tax. It would be in budget at Acer Recertified but I don't really feel comfortable with only a 90 day warranty on something that I need to last years and that has already been returned once, especially reading some of the bad stories here and on Reddit with faulty monitors. Also it never seems to be in stock there anyway.

If I am staying above 60fps, the benefit to Gsync would be minimal, right? It seems with a 1070 now I could probably do that on High for most things, and I guess I could just revisit this in a couple of years if Nvidia decides to accept Freesync or AMD has better options.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 3, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I can do it. I want a 1440p 144Hz IPS and I don't think I can pay the GSync tax. It would be in budget at Acer Recertified but I don't really feel comfortable with only a 90 day warranty on something that I need to last years and that has already been returned once, especially reading some of the bad stories here and on Reddit with faulty monitors. Also it never seems to be in stock there anyway.

If I am staying above 60fps, the benefit to Gsync would be minimal, right? It seems with a 1070 now I could probably do that on High for most things, and I guess I could just revisit this in a couple of years if Nvidia decides to accept Freesync or AMD has better options.

No, where Gsync has the most benefit is in eliminating tearing and in smoothing out variable frame rates, if you are above 60 most of the time but bouncing between 60 and 120 FPS then Gsync will help a lot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ah, ok. I guess I will just put off that decision until later, maybe if I shave off enough from my other components I can delude myself into getting a Predator.

Speaking of which, is there anything I should be wary about with the ASUS DUAL 1070? It looks like I can get it for significantly cheaper than any other 1070 (at B&H Photo). I was originally planning to get an EVGA for their customer service and warranty, but if Asus isn't completely terrible, it would be worth the $50 for me. I can't seem to find too much specifically written about this card, though. The only thing that might give me pause is the note that it's "2.1 slots" wide, but I am not sure how to make sure that will fit with my case and mobo? It's a mini-ITX build

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ah, ok. I guess I will just put off that decision until later, maybe if I shave off enough from my other components I can delude myself into getting a Predator.

Speaking of which, is there anything I should be wary about with the ASUS DUAL 1070? It looks like I can get it for significantly cheaper than any other 1070 (at B&H Photo). I was originally planning to get an EVGA for their customer service and warranty, but if Asus isn't completely terrible, it would be worth the $50 for me. I can't seem to find too much specifically written about this card, though. The only thing that might give me pause is the note that it's "2.1 slots" wide, but I am not sure how to make sure that will fit with my case and mobo? It's a mini-ITX build

Asus's hardware is generally well made and engineered, but Asus is also renowned for their awful customer service so YMMV. As far as if that card will fit you would need to measure, especially in a mITX build where space is at a premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Numinous posted:

I may have, a very very long time ago, connected a dozen 9v batteries in series and then went to town on a cable box just running wires over the circuit board until it magically no longer turned on.

I don't feel to terribly bad about it today but hey, there's an idea for you.

Ten years ago (Jesus ) I worked at best buy and people would buy the replacement warranties then towards the end fry them in some manner on purpose often enough to just be normal behavior. Obviously nobody on a store level really cared (warranties are 95% a direct donation to the company). But you could see scorch marks sometimes, it was amazing. I was told the easiest way was with a battery tender, although he might have been full of poo poo.