Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

It doesn't sound too far from Finnegans Wake. My worry is that it sounds a bit like Joyce: The Remake which our culture definitely doesn't need much more of. But I hope it's good.

Meanwhile in genuinely bad new literature by a genuinely mediocre writer:
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/775054055047659521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

jsoh posted:

Earlier in the novel Mr. Moore establishes the idea of the language of the angels: Words that sound like nonsense, but unfold within the mind of the listener to contain layers of meaning and metaphor. This entire chapter is an attempt to capture that experience, composed entirely of a made-up language.

So jabberwocky

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
just fyi I would rather stomp on my own balls until I died than read a 1300 page Alan Moore novel

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

J_RBG posted:

It doesn't sound too far from Finnegans Wake. My worry is that it sounds a bit like Joyce: The Remake

im not sure the guy who wrote multiple volumes about the erotic adventures of dorothy from the wizard of oz is going to effectively move in on james joyce's territory any time soon

e: lol

quote:

The third and most difficult part is written in a series of literary pastiches, including a Beckett-like play and an entire chapter written in a language invented by Lucia Joyce, the institutionalized daughter of James Joyce.

this shameful 'me too' poo poo

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 11, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

J_RBG posted:

It doesn't sound too far from Finnegans Wake. My worry is that it sounds a bit like Joyce: The Remake which our culture definitely doesn't need much more of. But I hope it's good.

this is incredible

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Everything I've read from Ian McEwan (so Atonement, Solar and Saturday) has been loving shite, but at least that sounds stupid enough that it might actually be interesting to read.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

J_RBG posted:

Carlos Fuentes wrote a book where an unborn baby is the narrator, and I guarantee you that it's much better than whatever this is

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

Carlos Fuentes wrote a book where an unborn baby is the narrator, and I guarantee you that it's much better than whatever this is

That's because Carlos Fuentes loving owned and should have won a Nobel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Between Ian McEwan, Jonathan Safren Froer and others, I am stunned by the long divide between contemporary authors writing good exciting diverse fiction and the weird old gods of NYC/London publishing and their dull white male shoegaze

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Between Ian McEwan, Jonathan Safren Froer and others, I am stunned by the long divide between contemporary authors writing good exciting diverse fiction and the weird old gods of NYC/London publishing and their dull white male shoegaze

shoegaze is good, Ian McEwan is, in fact, bad

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've only read the first chapter of Atonement and I liked it when the guy's pelvis got obliterated falling from a balloon.

A human heart posted:

S'called Nutshell, cause it's a foetal retelling of Hamlet except instead of ending with megadeath the baby narks on his mum by forcing an early labour after she murdered his dad.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've only read the first chapter of Atonement and I liked it when the guy's pelvis got obliterated falling from a balloon.

That's Enduring Love and that's the only good bit in Ian McEwan's oeuvre

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Carlos Fuentes once wrote a novel that ended with the last man and woman on earth loving each other until they became a divine hermaphrodite and ascended to heaven

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just fyi I would rather stomp on my own balls until I died than read a 1300 page Alan Moore novel

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Does it have pictures or not

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Not me. I'd rather read the novel than kill myself in a wacky way.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

david crosby posted:

Not me. I'd rather read the novel than kill myself in a wacky way.

It was hyperbole

Everyone knows I don't actually have balls

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Diverse fiction is bad

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So jabberwocky

Your brain is stupid

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alan Moore's novel will probably be ok, but I'm not going to read it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

Diverse fiction is bad

Who are you addressing with this post?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im still reading Mason & Dixon and still nothing has happened

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

Alan Moore's novel will probably be ok, but I'm not going to read it

B-but what about Watchmen

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I liked the voice of the fire when I read it so I won't join in on this roasting of Alan Moore even though it seems very fun.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I haven't read Alan Moore except Watchman but would read this book if enough people I trust like it because that is a reasonable thing to do and I like the books that he is apparently trying to emulate.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Im still reading Mason & Dixon and still nothing has happened

Nothing ever does, but it's still extremely good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think this can possibly be as good as his three million issue comic about a woman tripping and falling into a swimming pool and being raped by a Deep One and getting pregnant with Cthulhu

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Belgian posted:

Nothing ever does, but it's still extremely good.

I disagree, many things happen in Mason & Dixon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Your brain is stupid

Sorry if you didn't realize part of Jabberwocky was noticing how your brain creates context out of gibberish

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
is Wendell Berry any good? can I read the Port William novels anachronistically?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nanomashoes posted:

I disagree, many things happen in Mason & Dixon.

Yeah, these posts aren't making sense. A great many (rather preposterous) things happen in M&D. There's a musical number by an English bulldog on like page 20.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sorry if you didn't realize part of Jabberwocky was noticing how your brain creates context out of gibberish

There is not a single part of Jabberwocky that is gibberish

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

There is not a single part of Jabberwocky that is gibberish

is this going to be one of those things where we are forced to be pedantic about what kind of nonsensical words count as being gibberish

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

is this going to be one of those things where we are forced to be pedantic about what kind of nonsensical words count as being gibberish

The ones you post. loving bazinga.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I think it's in a sense too charitable to talk about "gibberish" or even "nonsense verse" when what you're talking about is 1) puns on existing English words 2) descriptive made-up words like onomatopoeia

Like, "uffish", "beamish" and "chortle" are evocative in the same way that existing words like "mellifluous" are - I don't think most people could define what "mellifluous" means, yet it's connotations are self evident

And the flipside of that is that you cannot write actual, literal gibberish which also somehow conveys meaning. Language doesn't work like that, you need the arbitrary sign upon which to hang the non-arbitrary sign

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I think it's in a sense too charitable to talk about "gibberish" or even "nonsense verse" when what you're talking about is 1) puns on existing English words 2) descriptive made-up words like onomatopoeia

Like, "uffish", "beamish" and "chortle" are evocative in the same way that existing words like "mellifluous" are - I don't think most people could define what "mellifluous" means, yet it's connotations are self evident

And the flipside of that is that you cannot write actual, literal gibberish which also somehow conveys meaning. Language doesn't work like that, you need the arbitrary sign upon which to hang the non-arbitrary sign

yeah thats fair

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Probably the best thing he's ever done.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lol

I forgot he wrote Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

what a saccharine piece of poo poo

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Good movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gently caress you