Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

As the price of using my idea you are required to document your attempts with minimum photos and preferably video. Please and thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sure why not. I've already embarrassed the hell out of myself enough in this thread, why not go full monty with a cockamamie Rube-Goldbergian rescue attempt on video? Gotta get my brother to come over to help spot my aim anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think the best bet is to use the suggested cat as your retrieval hook. Securely lash the cat to the underside of the quad and do flybys of the stranded bird until you catch it.

Bonus if you lash the cat to a quad that is built into a taxidermied cat, I'm sure you've seen the videos.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I think the best bet is to use the suggested cat as your retrieval hook. Securely lash the cat to the underside of the quad and do flybys of the stranded bird until you catch it.

Bonus if you lash the cat to a quad that is built into a taxidermied cat, I'm sure you've seen the videos.

uhhhhhhhh no i haven't???????? :ohdear:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTVOK2yvbBM

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

FCKGW posted:

A 28' Ladder is only 14' tall, you put it on the roof. Or you put it sideways in the bed of your truck.

I put a 28' in the back of my Ford Flex every December to hang Christmas lights.

Also if you need to find a skinny dude then you can get those guys outside of Home Depot too :v:

They're not skinny, they're "hungry for work"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I count myself immensely fortunate that youtube is totally blocked at work

(he says knowing full well he'll look at whatever this abomination is after work)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I mean, for what it is, it's pretty well done and fairly, umm, tasteful?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ciaphas posted:

Please don't be mean to cats, they are our friends :( (nah jk they're total assholes and I wish I could effect that idea with Hope sometimes)

My boss still wants to try hooks on fishing line off his Phantom, and won't be dissuaded, so hopefully the PVC pipe plan works out because the very idea of his plan makes me nervous. He assures me he managed to make a successful pickup of a 750 gram basket with it at home, but oh jeez :ohdear:

LMAO

Phantoms really aren't designed to lift anything other than themselves.

I guess the building owners should be happy, you are increasing the property value by continuing to pile expensive poo poo on top of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Please post photos of the roof with the PVC pipes, towels, bobcats, skinny dudes from Home Depot, and expensive drones all stranded on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Now my anxiety's all fired up on this pipe plan. Maybe I'll just call that roofer and give up the 80 bones.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Have courage in your ability to make a big wobbly pipe to whack drones with. A guy at my local field got a plane out of a tree 30ft up with nothing but pvc pipe and courage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My faith and courage have been shattered by sadbrains, a wish for this problem to just go away and a general sense that the plan I'm concocting won't work or will somehow make things worse (pvc falls off junction and gets stuck too, swings backwards due to weight and falls onto parked car, etc)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

They're not skinny, they're "hungry for work"

our hispanic amigos come in all shapes and sizes tyvm

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Hello again thread! Some time ago I posted some nonsense about wanting to build an airship. Now I'm starting to look at that more seriously and my friend is browsing adafruit and mumbling to himself about GPS modules and PWM controllers. I'm apparently now stuck with figuring out how to construct the drat thing and as I've never done anything of the sort before, I'm looking for some help sourcing materials.

We're planning on using a LoRa FeatherWing for telemetry and control (we'll get technician licensing first), but the camera can't go over that link because of limited bandwidth. I was poking around trying to find something that would be able to push 720p@30FPS at least two miles. The best thing I was able to find was a Boscam TS832/RC832 but a transmitter power calculator I checked with says it won't give the range we're trying to get. Any suggestions, or can we fix that with better antennas, which will also require a technician license if I'm reading the rules correctly.

Has anyone ever touched Oratex 600 or know if it's helium impregnable? It looks like that would be a good material for the gas bags but I can't read German and the US reseller's site is a bit lacking on that end.

Carbon fiber! Everyone's favorite material. I'm looking at building the keel and spine out of 0.5" tubes but again, no experience with the material so while I fully expect it to be strong enough I'm not sure if ACP Composites or DragonPlate are good places to get it from.

Spars and ribs from slit, folded into hollow triangle tubes, and glued foam board. Good idea, bad idea, better ideas?

Right now we're anticipating it to be roughly 5'x30', which my napkin math says should give me about 380 cubic feet for the whole thing, and conservatively estimate the combined volume of all 3 planned gas bags at 285 which should give ~17lbs net (tare?) lift. I found an awesome design for the ballonets on RCGroups that I plan to implement as well.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 14, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for hd video over 2 miles, ibcrazy did manage ~2.5 with the connex prosight, @ 200mw w/ his custom antennae (they will be out soon i think)(you would technically probably need the ham license still with this)(technician is trivial)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx9GMsnUs7E

You can do 2 miles without an issue with the 5.8ghz system you linked, but that will not be 720p in the slightest.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 14, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Shalhavet posted:

Hello again thread! Some time ago I posted some nonsense about wanting to build an airship. Now I'm starting to look at that more seriously and my friend is browsing adafruit and mumbling to himself about GPS modules and PWM controllers. I'm apparently now stuck with figuring out how to construct the drat thing and as I've never done anything of the sort before, I'm looking for some help sourcing materials.

We're planning on using a LoRa FeatherWing for telemetry and control (we'll get technician licensing first), but the camera can't go over that link because of limited bandwidth. I was poking around trying to find something that would be able to push 720p@30FPS at least two miles. The best thing I was able to find was a Boscam TS832/RC832 but a transmitter power calculator I checked with says it won't give the range we're trying to get. Any suggestions, or can we fix that with better antennas, which will also require a technician license if I'm reading the rules correctly.

Has anyone ever touched Oratex 600 or know if it's helium impregnable? It looks like that would be a good material for the gas bags but I can't read German and the US reseller's site is a bit lacking on that end.

Carbon fiber! Everyone's favorite material. I'm looking at building the keel and spine out of 0.5" tubes but again, no experience with the material so while I fully expect it to be strong enough I'm not sure if ACP Composites or DragonPlate are good places to get it from.

Spars and ribs from slit, folded into hollow triangle tubes, and glued foam board. Good idea, bad idea, better ideas?

Right now we're anticipating it to be roughly 5'x30', which my napkin math says should give me about 380 cubic feet for the whole thing, and conservatively estimate the combined volume of all 3 planned gas bags at 285 which should give ~17lbs net (tare?) lift. I found an awesome design for the ballonets on RCGroups that I plan to implement as well.

2km is easy on that VTX/VRX:
For the VRX
http://www.stoneblueairlines.com/fpv-gear/antennas/rhcp/5-8-ghz/crosshair/vas-5-8ghz-10dbic-crosshair-antenna-rhcp.html
For the VTX:
http://www.stoneblueairlines.com/fpv-gear/antennas/rhcp/5-8-ghz/cyclone-5-8ghz-antenna-rhcp.html

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ciaphas posted:

Please don't be mean to cats, they are our friends :( (nah jk they're total assholes and I wish I could effect that idea with Hope sometimes)

My boss still wants to try hooks on fishing line off his Phantom, and won't be dissuaded, so hopefully the PVC pipe plan works out because the very idea of his plan makes me nervous. He assures me he managed to make a successful pickup of a 750 gram basket with it at home, but oh jeez :ohdear:

Well on the bright side, a Phantom is valuable enough that if he does manage to get stuck up there as well he will definitely find some way to get it down, which would get yours down too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A phantom with 4m of paracord with a triple hook at the end will mosdef be able to hook your drones off that roof. It'll prob crash in the process, so bring a camera.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A Phantom can most definitely lift over kilo without issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJJf93vrFA

And not to encourage anti-OSHA behavior, but what about that ledge halfway up the building on the right there? Seems claimable with a short ladder and then some light parkour or another ladder :colbert:

Ciaphas posted:

Believe me, I tried; all the local tree services climb the drat things with some sort of belt thing instead of a ladder or boom. (Which blew my mind, by the way, when I first heard it. Brass balls on those guys, the palms they trim are like 60ft.)

Drone #1, the Eachine, circled. Couldn't reach it with a toss of carabiner on rope or similar, and my tosses were sometimes hitting the windows instead of the roof, so I gave up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You all realize we're not going to get any resolution on this, right? OP is now stuck on the roof.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
why not just throw a cast net up there to catch it and drag it down? or make one

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...65-adType%5EPLA

might be hard to throw up there, maybe stand in the bed of a truck or something to get a little closer first.

personally i'd try the 'stick on a string' method. keep chucking it up there and eventually you catch it enough to knock it down.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 14, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That copter cat is really disturbing :(

Bad Munki posted:

You all realize we're not going to get any resolution on this, right? OP is now stuck on the roof.

At least if that were the case I could throw the damned drones off the roof

I'm still considering trying the pipe thing but I'm still a lot less sanguine about it than I was at first yesterday. If the bloody roofers would answer their goddamn phone I'd throw money at htem and be done

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ciaphas posted:

At least if that were the case I could throw the damned drones off the roof

Bring extra batteries and fly yourself down.

Anyhow, expecting tomorrow's update to be along the lines of,

Ciaphas posted:

Guys, I need some ideas. The entire building is now stuck on the roof, this doesn't even make sense anymore

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Steal a local kids ball / toy and throw it on the roof. Their parents won't be too scared to build a long pvc pipe to knock it down :colbert:

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Ciaphas you need to be mod challenged for this

Also we all know the resolution is your 250 in a million pieces on the ground, and that makes me sad.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I read this to my daughter last night. It is very relevant to the roof quad saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hipx6HJs4XQ&t=31s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

This whole thing has become a big embarrassing cloud for me here and IRL and I wish I'd never posted about it

Including this post, probably

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Getting quads stuck up high somewhere is a right of passage and you shouldn't be ashamed. However you should get them down from the roof and not give up. Have you considered a fishing line ?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Boss has insisted that I not try the pipe thing or anything else until he comes by tomorrow and tries to airlift the drones out with his Phantom. He says he really wants to try for its own sake and not just for the sake of helping me, so I guess that's on and I can't stop it

I guess at least I can ask for a record for the proceedingsso you all get a success story or some schadenfreude

Lemme tell you all, uncontrolled sadbrains magnifying every molehill into a volcanic, deadly mountain isn't much fun

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Boss has insisted that I not try the pipe thing or anything else until he comes by tomorrow and tries to airlift the drones out with his Phantom. He says he really wants to try for its own sake and not just for the sake of helping me, so I guess that's on and I can't stop it

Please provide full documentation set to an appropriate soundtrack. Its clearly on your boss if he wrecks his phantom trying to rescue your drones. Don't be worried about that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

By appropriate music you mean Dog Song right

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

By appropriate music you mean Dog Song right

I think you're going about it well honestly, and maintaining a jovial attitude to boot. Still, update us. When I first got the quad, I lost it over a fence into part of the park that's owned by the Chevron Refinery here in town, thought I was going to get thrown in jail when I went to retrieve it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Lemme tell you all, uncontrolled sadbrains magnifying every molehill into a volcanic, deadly mountain isn't much fun
Lemme tell you that as much as were laughing about the situation were all rooting for ya.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I do know one thing, and what I should have thought of the day I got the drone: when I can fly that thing again I'm gonna put the dRonin setup software on my Surface and take that with me to the park instead of calibrating and whatnot at home. It's been long enough that I don't really remember, but I think the motors were running at different rates in what should have been neutral position, and that's what made it so unstable as soon as I cleared the roof line.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Lemme tell you that as much as were laughing about the situation were all rooting for ya.
Yeah same.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ciaphas posted:

that's what made it so unstable as soon as I cleared the roof line.

Also remember that houses create weird wind patterns. The second you're over the roof line you're going to hit another, likely stronger, wind pattern that you can't feel. Your three options are 1) be prepared for the transition, 2) stay below the roof line, or 3) go to a park where there is no transition.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I had to brush up on my tree climbing skills when I first started flying my RC plane. I actually managed to loose a little canopy piece on a similar building when I grazed the roof. Owner didn't want me climbing his roof understandably. Thankfully the wind knocked it down for me. I was all set to attempt a rescue with my little v911 helicopter, fishing line, and a bit of magnet to grab the ones on the canopy.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ciaphas posted:

This whole thing has become a big embarrassing cloud for me here and IRL and I wish I'd never posted about it

Including this post, probably

We've all been there as others have mentioned. I've seen people dumb thumb planes that cost $10,000 or more (or just as likely while trying to show off their low pass knife edge that goes a bit too low) .

I personally got my little sbach micro stuck in a tree at some god awful height. That sucks trying to get it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Two is now three :smithicide: