Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Seeing as it's your boss. I don't suggest telling him "I told you so..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ciaphas posted:

Two is now three :smithicide:

They're gonna make a little drone commune on that roof.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

No loving way :psyboom:

Is there some kind of 2.4 and 5.8 rf vortex ontop of this building.

So now its time for the pipe plan right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mashed_penguin posted:

No loving way :psyboom:

Is there some kind of 2.4 and 5.8 rf vortex ontop of this building.

So now its time for the pipe plan right?

No were pretty sure his hook got jammed in one of the shingles so knocking it about won't work

Gonna call a drat roofer like I should have done weeks ago

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
The overall lesson here, is don't fly places you can't "go on your own" And "Crashing is better than losing the bird". Whenever I think i'm going to fly outside of reaonsable retrieval range, I put the thing down.

.... and thank you for providing so much entertainment. :-)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

In the meantime, turn this unfortunate situation into a money-making carnival game. Buy a Nerf ball, charge $5 for 5 throws, and whoever knocks one down gets half of whatever's in the pool. Use your cut to replace the batteries.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Boss has decided to borrow his bosses suburban, we are now driving back with ladder on roof

Presume one of us died if I don't post again

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Take pictures and make lemonade out of lemons.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I love this thread

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Ciaphas posted:

Boss has decided to borrow his bosses suburban, we are now driving back with ladder on roof

Update: suburban stuck on roof.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Ahahahahahahaha

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Victory

http://i.imgur.com/fJiDh8e.jpg

No deaths

Going to work, will evaluate damage later

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 15, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

This is so great. This story deserves to end in thermonuclear warfare with that rooftop.

Ciaphas posted:

Victory

No deaths

aright aright aright

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Victory

No deaths

:bravo:

Other than lipos it will all probably be fine.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Hahaha oh my god the wire coathanger hook mechanism. I'm dead.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

:bravo:

Other than lipos it will all probably be fine.

Yeah they were both kinda bulge-y and weird looking, like a can of soup that was going off, so I just left them with the battery recyclers at the Home Depot when we returned the ladder.

Speaking of ladder I don't have a problem with heights but watching someone else climb 30 feet on that thing was loving terrifying, I've probably lost a year of my life to running a 200bpm heartrate for several minutes :saddowns:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm just said you didn't put a photoshop of the ladder stuck on the roof.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Alternatively ladder falls down and strands boss on roof.

Editing for storytime:

I made it into the mountains with the jeep on the weekend to fly the z3. Sadly it was super windy so most of my footage is a twitchy mess. I did make a gif though. Also thin air is a bitch to launch in compared to sea level.

mashed fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 16, 2016

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

This is pretty :coal:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neat video. I know the Eachine isn't made for camera stuff at all (FPV flight aside natch), but when I get going again I'd love to use it to get some good flying pictures of the Red Rock range west of town. Apparently there's a place people get together to fly drones near the trail there.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 16, 2016

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Takkaryx posted:

Can you guys assist with diagnosing a problem? Every once in a while, and it seems to happen when I'm rolling, my quad will start pulsing the engines and drop out of the sky. I'm using a naze32 board with cleanflight and bsheli ESCs. I finally managed to record video of it happening, so the sound and motion of it could help with IDing the problem. The beeping at the end is an independent low voltage meter plugged into the load balance leads on the battery. I use three different batteries, and I know I've gone through all three in a day without this issue. I can provide screenshots of whatever cleanflight settings pages if that will help. I'm super new to mucking with cleanflight, so it may be a simple problem that I've overlooked.

Takkaryx posted:

I do not use airmode, and motor_stop is off.

I finally got a chance to go flying again, motor_stop is now enabled. I didn't notice anything different on the ground. However, one roll, and the exact same thing happened as in the vid above. Anywhere else to look?

Ciaphas, I'm glad your quads got recovered, and it sounds like you now have a buddy to go flying with too! Also, you've now encountered about the worst situation you're likely to have happen, so you know you can survive it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My Surface seems to be unhappy about trying to run dRonin GCS--it crashes half the time and fails to detect the flight controller the other half. Anyone else had problems with the dRonin GCS?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Ciaphas posted:

Neat video. I know the Eachine isn't made for camera stuff at all (FPV flight aside natch), but when I get going again I'd love to use it to get some good flying pictures of the Red Rock range west of town. Apparently there's a place people get together to fly drones near the trail there.

If you can find some other guys that are good at flying that is by far the best way to learn. Most people are happy to teach as it is always fun to talk about your hobby/toys.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I sort of wonder if it'd be a good idea to stop at Fry's tonight and pick up a Blade Nano QX to practice rate (acro?) flying before I risk crunching my Eachine. I can price match them down to sixty bucks, and everything I've read suggests they're great learners because the sun will explode before they take any real damage.

Too bad the Syma doesn't have an acro mode, I'd just keep practicing with that instead.

Question, if I want to learn to fly FPV, should I start by doing that right away or is LOS flight training pretty adaptable?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

For quads I'd just do fpv right away. Los skills are always useful but are only relevant for pfv if your video fails. In quads if that happens you have probably crashed or are too far away for Los skills to matter.

For fixed wing Los skills are a lot more useful and applicable for launching as well as tuning and setup.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Takkaryx posted:

I finally got a chance to go flying again, motor_stop is now enabled. I didn't notice anything different on the ground. However, one roll, and the exact same thing happened as in the vid above. Anywhere else to look?

That looks to me like the ESC is cutting out due to low voltage. Do your ESCs still have a low voltage cutoff somewhere in there? If the battery alarm is going off mid-flight then your batteries might be sagging below the minimum voltage for the esc/motor combo.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

CrazyLittle posted:

That looks to me like the ESC is cutting out due to low voltage. Do your ESCs still have a low voltage cutoff somewhere in there? If the battery alarm is going off mid-flight then your batteries might be sagging below the minimum voltage for the esc/motor combo.

I have my low voltage alarm set to 3.6v, and my ESCs are DYS BLheli 20a w/ oneshot. Is there a way to check/change via cleanflight if there's a voltage cutoff? Also, the voltage alarm didn't go off this time, and it only goes off sometimes when this happens.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I sort of wonder if it'd be a good idea to stop at Fry's tonight and pick up a Blade Nano QX to practice rate (acro?) flying before I risk crunching my Eachine. I can price match them down to sixty bucks, and everything I've read suggests they're great learners because the sun will explode before they take any real damage.

Too bad the Syma doesn't have an acro mode, I'd just keep practicing with that instead.

Question, if I want to learn to fly FPV, should I start by doing that right away or is LOS flight training pretty adaptable?

Stop buying drones and fly the ones you already have. Put goggles on, launch the eachine in acro mode, and crash it 35 times. It'll magically click the 36th time.

Don't hit the throttle when you tilt forward -- every new pilot does that. When you tilt to fly forward, the camera points at the ground. Inexperienced pilots instinctively climb with throttle until they see the horizon again, which is like 600ft in the air. Then the radio cuts out and you get to buy a new drone.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to buy anything, it's paying a fiver to the fpv freerider dev while you practice on your PC and watch joishua bardwell vids

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If you're going to buy anything, it's paying a fiver to the fpv freerider dev while you practice on your PC and watch joishua bardwell vids

Yeah I saw that earlier and thought it a great idea. What do I need to buy to hook my transmitter up to the PC and use it for that? It's apparently a rebranded FlySky i6 if that helps.

I mean I guess I could use a good old 360 controller and that would work almost as well but the throttle'd be a bit odd

(edit) Would it be one of these things?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 16, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Shouldn't enable motor_stop. Having the motors spin on arm is a safety feature.

--edit: vvv Everyone should be using switch arming, anyway.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 16, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Takkaryx posted:

I have my low voltage alarm set to 3.6v, and my ESCs are DYS BLheli 20a w/ oneshot. Is there a way to check/change via cleanflight if there's a voltage cutoff? Also, the voltage alarm didn't go off this time, and it only goes off sometimes when this happens.

Low voltage cutoff is a function of the ESC not the flight controller. The reason I suspected LV cutoff is that your voltage alarm triggered after the motors stopped (and you lost control). It's not just one motor stopping it seemed to be all of them.

Other possibility - you're disarming your copter by accident with stick input

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I saw that earlier and thought it a great idea. What do I need to buy to hook my transmitter up to the PC and use it for that? It's apparently a rebranded FlySky i6 if that helps.

I mean I guess I could use a good old 360 controller and that would work almost as well but the throttle'd be a bit odd

(edit) Would it be one of these things?

That's the one I bought, that I still have somewhere just can't find it. If you want to wait til Monday I can try to dig it up for you this weekend.

If you don't, there's a trick to get it to work in freerideFPV. You need to get into the hidden settings menu, then enable trainer mode like this:

Then there's a setting you switch on that allows for trainer mode. I can look at my coworker's remote and remember how to do it specifically but that'll be Tuesday.

You have to disable trainer mode when you're done as the TX stops transmitting wirelessly in trainer mode.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo us,
Not much time
Say you loved me
Once l fell into your vagina
Of disease.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Which is an apt metaphor for many things, including rc everything's.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

:allbuttons:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I tried to grok that and failed utterly

SaNChEzZ posted:

That's the one I bought, that I still have somewhere just can't find it. If you want to wait til Monday I can try to dig it up for you this weekend.

If you don't, there's a trick to get it to work in freerideFPV. You need to get into the hidden settings menu, then enable trainer mode like this:

Then there's a setting you switch on that allows for trainer mode. I can look at my coworker's remote and remember how to do it specifically but that'll be Tuesday.

You have to disable trainer mode when you're done as the TX stops transmitting wirelessly in trainer mode.

Thanks, I'll just put in an order for the cable now so it might get here tomorrow. Amazon is in an odd hurry once in a while :v:

(edit) Along with some balance plug protectors because I can already see myself yanking those flimsy plugs off of the cables and causing A Problem

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 16, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Your LV alarm going off any time ever before your pack is dead should b cause for alarm. Either your pack's bad or you're drawing too much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: vvv Everyone should be using switch arming, anyway.

I could not figure out for the life of me how to make anything but Yaw+Throttle work for arm/disarm in dRonin. Though maybe I can mess around more with that now that I know how to get into the settings menu on the FS-i6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quote is not edit going to next page