Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So my buddy is going to China in October on business.
How can I best use this to get a Lepin UCSMF for really cheap?
Any links for ordering from inside china that are even cheaper than aliexpress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Caterham is October 1, 771 pieces, $80.

http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ideas-caterham-seven-620r-21307-officially-announced/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hopper posted:

So my buddy is going to China in October on business.
How can I best use this to get a Lepin UCSMF for really cheap?
Any links for ordering from inside china that are even cheaper than aliexpress?

I'd think he could just go to some toy stores to find it. Then either ship it back himself, or pay for the extra baggage (which likely would cost more.)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That the beauty of it, he's got senator status and can take 3 luggage items. I'll have to talk to him on the weekend.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anora posted:

When I was into 40K a lot of the guys I knew that repainted their earlier stuff swore by a cleaner called Simple Green. It took paint off, and didn't damage the plastic models. Though Lego and 40K use different plastics, so you might want to run a test piece in or something.

Can confirm. Soak overnight in simple green, paint comes right off with toothbrush. Does leave a residue which you then have to wash off. Much harder up inside lego bricks than on warhammer minis.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I used the Brasso method to remove the gut from some Homer torsos. Worked pretty well, but it was more effort than I was expecting. I'll have to try Simple Green next time I need to attempt it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Saw the Holiday Train tonight. Almost grabbed one but decided to wait 2 weeks and get the double points and advent calendar.

Checked Ebay and they are already being sold for $150. Sigh. Why are people so dumb?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Anyone had luck at Barnes and Nobel with 50% off? I got another Passenger Train and the Ninjago DBX, but a lot of stuff that was clearance last time wasn't marked down this time, despite them still having stock of some 2015/2014 sets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I went there tonight and I didn't have any luck either. They had the aforementioned sets but they weren't marked down.

The woman at the desk told me they had a bunch of 50 percent off Lego earlier in the week though :(

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The store near me had a bunch of the bigger Ninjago sets at 50% off, hidden under a table.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I bought the holiday train plus a bunch of power functions stuff to power it. Really excited as its my first train! A friend of mine in school had every train and castle set from the 80s. The 12v system with the signals and lights and main control centre thing was a sight to behold.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Girlfriend bought me Big Ben for my birthday, so I'm kind of mad about that if only because I know how much the set costs.

Looks great so far, although I'm only halfway through the main building at it's already pretty tedious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got Deep Sea Expedition Vessel & Emmet's Mech. Passed on the Police Trailer and maybe another.

E: Also, it looks like Lepin is about to release the Haunted House. Really hoping it comes out well.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 18, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Working on something new. Still sort of a first draft.

I'm most proud of this part

hello

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Bought my first ever Mixels. The whole set of pirate themed guys who are super awesome. Plus TRU was doing a free build thing and my kid for the clock from beauty in the beast. Not a bad trip!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finished wall e. Man that thing is great and bigger than I expected. The head was a pretty interesting build. Was kind of wondering how it would come together at the beginning.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My oldest made out like a bandit for his birthday yesterday, the Lego ambulance airplane, and two Minecraft kits, plus a bunch of gift cards I'm sure he'll use on Lego.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Electromax posted:

Downsizing this set to a modular-ized footprint to reclaim some shelf space: http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Mystery-Mansion-75904

The evil greenhouse was too good to lose though.

Try #2:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh look, it's one of those shops.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So after nearly a year of wanting it, saving up some money, looking at pictures of it, and getting jealous of posters on this very thread I finally bought the Ghostbusters Firehouse. This is the largest set I have ever bought and the first I have built since I got Metalbeard's Duel for my birthday two years ago. This thing is pretty drat impressive, I plan on going slow with it as I still need to make room for its permanent spot. I really wasn't expecting numbered bags but it sure helps, so far it's taken me two day to do bag #1. The only complaint I would have about it would be the instructions being on a black background (whhyy?) and stickers. I hate stickers, I'm terrible at stickers, why did they have to use stickers?? Anyone have any advice on applying stickers? Or perhaps safely removing them and reapplying them when I mess it up?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gorgolflox posted:

So after nearly a year of wanting it, saving up some money, looking at pictures of it, and getting jealous of posters on this very thread I finally bought the Ghostbusters Firehouse. This is the largest set I have ever bought and the first I have built since I got Metalbeard's Duel for my birthday two years ago. This thing is pretty drat impressive, I plan on going slow with it as I still need to make room for its permanent spot. I really wasn't expecting numbered bags but it sure helps, so far it's taken me two day to do bag #1. The only complaint I would have about it would be the instructions being on a black background (whhyy?) and stickers. I hate stickers, I'm terrible at stickers, why did they have to use stickers?? Anyone have any advice on applying stickers? Or perhaps safely removing them and reapplying them when I mess it up?

Use tweezers to hold the sticker. Line things up and go from there. If it is square, then push down a teeny bit on one side to get a sense for how close you are to being even. If it is round, do something similar. If things are off center, it becomes obvious pretty quickly.

Also, they don't need to be perfect. After all, the things that get stickers are usually small detail items that are hidden inside.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Unless it's the big UCS stickers. :shepface: My sticker for the super star destroyer is crooked as hell and I hate it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The one thing I find weird about Wall E, is that for all of the attention to detail and accuracy, that they decided to omit the stripes on his arms. I also don't think the diagonal lines on his sides look very good and probably didn't need to be included in the set.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

NESguerilla posted:

The one thing I find weird about Wall E, is that for all of the attention to detail and accuracy, that they decided to omit the stripes on his arms. I also don't think the diagonal lines on his sides look very good and probably didn't need to be included in the set.

Yeah, I think it's a weird omission.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

VaultAggie posted:

Unless it's the big UCS stickers. :shepface: My sticker for the super star destroyer is crooked as hell and I hate it.

Can you pull it off with a razor blade?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For big stickers what you should do is pull off a tiny bit of the backing and cut it off, so you only have a few percent of the sticker exposed. Then you line it up and once it's straight peel the rest off.

Lego stickers get a death grip really easy and I wouldn't think it possible to cleanly remove a large one.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

xzzy posted:

For big stickers what you should do is pull off a tiny bit of the backing and cut it off, so you only have a few percent of the sticker exposed. Then you line it up and once it's straight peel the rest off.

Lego stickers get a death grip really easy and I wouldn't think it possible to cleanly remove a large one.

God drat this is really solid advice I'm going to do this in future.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Can I get away with just using the 88000 battery pack and 88002 Train Motor to motorize the new Holiday Train as in I just want to make it go and stop? Also what is the default speed on that motor like? I just want it to go around my Christmas tree during the holidays.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Waltzing Along posted:

Got Deep Sea Expedition Vessel & Emmet's Mech. Passed on the Police Trailer and maybe another.

E: Also, it looks like Lepin is about to release the Haunted House. Really hoping it comes out well.

16007, presells up on aliexpress now. that's really awesome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Redid some stuff on my robot from yesterday, Much happier with it now.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope they release the Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart one day. They're probably the only sets I'd consider buying Lepin versions of.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cyberia posted:

I hope they release the Simpsons House and Kwik-E-Mart one day. They're probably the only sets I'd consider buying Lepin versions of.

Same, but isn't Kwik-E-Mart in particular pretty reliant on stickers? That seems to be the main area where Lepin leaves much to be desired.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://i.imgur.com/chiwIB5.mp4

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

cyberia posted:

Kinda surprised I'm not seeing any of the Harry Potter stuff either. Maybe some are more protected properties?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean, you'd think Disney would be litigious as gently caress about Star Wars

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Did you do this with just pieces from the set or did you have to branch out into other pieces you had?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Dogen posted:

I mean, you'd think Disney would be litigious as gently caress about Star Wars

iirc, China has pretty lax laws about copyright and counterfeit goods. As litigious as Disney might be, they probably can't actually bring a suit against the Chinese manufacturers in China. The most they could do would be to seize goods as they're imported into America and / or send cease and desist letters to retailers who are selling counterfeit goods.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

VaultAggie posted:

Peel it off and have Lego send you a new one...

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Kinda surprised I'm not seeing any of the Harry Potter stuff either. Maybe some are more protected properties?

Could relate to what's popular in China maybe? I don't know where Lepin does the majority of it's business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

cyberia posted:

iirc, China has pretty lax laws about copyright and counterfeit goods. As litigious as Disney might be, they probably can't actually bring a suit against the Chinese manufacturers in China. The most they could do would be to seize goods as they're imported into America and / or send cease and desist letters to retailers who are selling counterfeit goods.

Right I mean, that was my point. If they're making Star Wars sets they probably aren't much worried about being sued, so there's probably some other reason they aren't making other certain other licensed sets.