Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm slowly working through ZZ after picking up the Blu-rays on sale. It's ... something alright. I'm warming up to it after adjusting to the change from tragedy to comedy. Tomino has some good moments, but his comedic stuff is generally more miss than hit for me in the Gundam setting. It is fun seeing Bright get totally owned repeatedly by these wacky teens. Roux and Mashymyre are also pretty fun.

I can't believe this aired immediately after Zeta Gundam. I'm really glad I took a few month break in between so that I don't hate this. Also, the OP is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
G Gundam was pretty pleasant. I knew going in it was suppose to be ridiculous, and it was... there was a loving horse in that trace system... but I was surprise by the amount of heart the show had. Like most good over the top melodrama there was a warmth to it.

also Allenby the coolest she shoulda got to done more

onto turn a

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PBS Newshour posted:

G Gundam was pretty pleasant. I knew going in it was suppose to be ridiculous, and it was... there was a loving horse in that trace system... but I was surprise by the amount of heart the show had. Like most good over the top melodrama there was a warmth to it.

onto turn a

Despite being a show about nationalist caricatures punching each other with giant kung fu robots it's probably got the most well developed, genuine, and good love story in Gundam. Domon's final speech to Rain is fantastic.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

onto turn a

when you've got the time you should check out the other stuff by the g gundam director, giant robo especially.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

onto turn a

Turn A's kinda slow paced, but it's excellent. Everyone has motives! Not like "I'm with the bad guys! I'm bad!", but personal motives that sometimes make them act entirely against the interests of other people ostensibly on the same side. And this happens pretty often.

Also, you will probably dislike Sochie early on.

She gets better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kanos posted:

Despite being a show about nationalist caricatures punching each other with giant kung fu robots it's probably got the most well developed, genuine, and good love story in Gundam. Domon's final speech to Rain is fantastic.

It's nice except when Rain gets viciously punched in the gut for plot reasons.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

PBS Newshour posted:

onto turn a

My absolute favorite part of G Gundam is in the final fight with Master Asia. When Domon finally gets Master Asia in his final attack, the background flashes back to all their time spent together and Master Asia smiles before being blown up. Also, the loving music in that scene is great too. It's super melodramatic, but it fits the series super well.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sonata Mused posted:

My absolute favorite part of G Gundam is in the final fight with Master Asia. When Domon finally gets Master Asia in his final attack, the background flashes back to all their time spent together and Master Asia smiles before being blown up. Also, the loving music in that scene is great too. It's super melodramatic, but it fits the series super well.

G Gundam was epic.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Master Asia was so well done in general. It's a type of story I seen a hundred times but it actually work because they spent time developing his relationship with Domon.

Droyer posted:

when you've got the time you should check out the other stuff by the g gundam director, giant robo especially.

I've been meaning to but after seeing G I will do so for sure.

I watched 2 of Turn A. That nursery rhyme intro is fantastic. The pace is for sure a bit slower, but that is fine with me.

This kid gets naked a lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

Master Asia was so well done in general. It's a type of story I seen a hundred times but it actually work because they spent time developing his relationship with Domon.

I watched 2 of Turn A. That nursery rhyme intro is fantastic. The pace is for sure a bit slower, but that is fine with me.

I also liked the unusually sensible response to his kill-all-humans eco-terrorist ideology - if the natural world is so important, what the gently caress are you doing trying to render an indigenous species extinct?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

G Gundam is Imagawa's least good show, and I don't mean that as a slight against it. The man has the golden touch when it comes to anime.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm a bit polarized when it comes to Imagawa. I loved G Gundam and thought some of the best Zeta episodes were the ones he directed, but I found Shin Mazinger unwatchable at times and an incredibly disappointing show overall.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Shin mazinger had the best narrator of all time though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Shin mazinger had the best narrator of all time though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDj1KTha8go

I had forgotten how good this is. Thank you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm really piss off that these bastards ruined Keith's awesome party cake after he worked so hard on it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's nice except when Rain gets viciously punched in the gut for plot reasons.

Punching a woman in the gut is the Traditional Anime Way To Knock Out A Girl, probably because they don't want to show a woman getting punched in the face or head. At least it's done by the irredeemably evil dudes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kanos posted:

Punching a woman in the gut is the Traditional Anime Way To Knock Out A Girl, probably because they don't want to show a woman getting punched in the face or head. At least it's done by the irredeemably evil dudes.

I know it is the lesser of evils, still a bit off to watch though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Zakus are apparently built to last. Surprising to see them show up here in Turn A.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

PBS Newshour posted:

Zakus are apparently built to last. Surprising to see them show up here in Turn A.

What are you talking about, there are no Zakus in Turn-A. The MS-06 Borjarnon on the other hand, now that's a quality mobile suit.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Its not nearly as good as the MS-05 Borjarnon Gavane Goonny Custom

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
What the hell was Anaheim Electronics thinking when they designed the Double Zeta? What a weird Gundam.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

brainwrinkle posted:

What the hell was Anaheim Electronics thinking when they designed the Double Zeta? What a weird Gundam.

Space coke.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
they must have been rolling in cash selling mobile suits to 3 different factions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Someone at Anaheim wanted to do a TOTALLY KICKASS combiner and they justified everything else afterward by slapping any random spare parts they could onto it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

I'm more impressed by the Kapool.

I mean, for a while the Zaku II was THE mobile suit. You're going to see some as museum pieces, or preserved as icons of the One Year War, or rebuilt to get the fundamentals right. Sure, seeing them is impressive, but it's the Zaku. It makes sense. But the Capule was the limited production mobile suit Neo Zeon had no confidence in, to the point where they went "Uh, gently caress. What's the Federation making? Basically the Zaku Marine? Yes! That sounds much better than the Capule!"

The fools. Fortunately, someone must have realized the Kapool's only weakness was not being green, and now it's the Mobile Suit Of The FUTURE.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Double Zeta as the McDLT of the Gundam universe.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, for a while the Zaku II was THE mobile suit. You're going to see some as museum pieces, or preserved as icons of the One Year War, or rebuilt to get the fundamentals right. Sure, seeing them is impressive, but it's the Zaku. It makes sense. But the Capule was the limited production mobile suit Neo Zeon had no confidence in, to the point where they went "Uh, gently caress. What's the Federation making? Basically the Zaku Marine? Yes! That sounds much better than the Capule!"

The fools. Fortunately, someone must have realized the Kapool's only weakness was not being green, and now it's the Mobile Suit Of The FUTURE.

They are the cutest mobile suits. I love how they run.
Way cuter than those bear gundams.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

brainwrinkle posted:

The ZZ makes a lot of sense if you look at it from the perspective of a military feature bloat boondoggle ala the Bradley from Pentagon Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

It's basically a gigantic mess of feature creep that only makes sense in the context of some Anaheim executive's eyes turning into dollar signs as they add each additional ridiculous feature. Ridiculous combining mechanism that's more complicated than previous core block systems that renders the frame so fragile that it literally falls apart if it takes too heavy of an impact? Unwieldy form changing mechanism that has to be entirely disabled by extra armor plating in order to fix the fragile frame? Massively overpowered weapons array that puts such a strain on the reactor that it can literally power down and deactivate mid fight if it uses its weaponry too much? Main cannon placed above the unit's optical units that literally eradicates the unit's sensor array when fired at full power? Two beam rifles taped together with a cockpit on the back?

I love it so much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

Instantly started hearing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdzyZO3fbDY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone seen this preview yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32reoeJtos

I know that The Origin got renewed to cover the Battle of Loum, but it looks like they might be going even further and doing a full reboot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone seen this preview yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D32reoeJtos

I know that The Origin got renewed to cover the Battle of Loum, but it looks like they might be going even further and doing a full reboot.

Who didn't see this coming a mile off?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Okay that preview still got me pumped now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I actually quite like the CGI. If a show needs to have a mix between 2D and cell shaded 3D, at least it looks good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I took a quick break from Turn A to watch F91. drat what a mess. It look pretty cool though and the main characters and that Zabine guy were alright. It was fun just nothing I would call good or recommend.

The bugs were horrifying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Man, the 0079 movies are draining to get through. They really make you feel how war-weary the White Base crew gets over time.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Was it F91 or 0083 that had the scooter wreck?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The GIG posted:

F91

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

I took a quick break from Turn A to watch F91. drat what a mess. It look pretty cool though and the main characters and that Zabine guy were alright. It was fun just nothing I would call good or recommend.

The bugs were horrifying.

In case you don't know: F91 was originally intended to be a full tv series, then it got cut down into an OVA and then finally a movie.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The GIG posted:

Kuvo posted:

F91 was a disjointed mess but it looked pretty.

It also contains one of the funniest scenes in any gundam

https://i.imgur.com/pWQVLqj.webm

space_mom_moped_accident.mp4

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

F91 still has a stellar first act. Shame about the rest of the movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Srice posted:

F91 still has a stellar first act. Shame about the rest of the movie!
I like to think that the first part of F91 was the amount of scripting for the show that had been completed, given how well it flows and sets up the premise.

Then stuff falls apart and we get things like Cecily's foster father dropping to the floor dead for no explained reason.